Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > VARIOUS DRUG RELATED TOPICS > Law and order > Drug Policy Reform & Narco Politics
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Drug Policy Reform & Narco Politics The war on drugs, drug politics, how drugs influence politics & (inter)national conflicts.

Old 03-08-2011, 18:16
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

30 y/o Male from Greece
saos is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 343, Level: 2 Points: 343, Level: 2 Points: 343, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Greece to make substance use legal!

The Greek government announced that it will legalize the use of all drugs and substances, from cannabis to heroin . Possession and cultivation for personal use, will be considered a misdemeanor, and will be punished by fine or by up to 30 days of prison. Prison time, can also be bought.

Harsher penalties are to be given to drug dealers from now on. In most cases it will be double the time that the current penal system advises. Until now if one was an addict and a drug dealer, he would get a lower sentence. This will no longer apply and drug dealers will be dealt the same whether they are addicts on not.

The government invoked humanitarian reasons for this sudden change of legislation, but everybody knows, that they cant keep up with the bill, of the so called drug-war. 40 percent of convicts in prison are because of drug related crimes, and the courts cannot process cases at a satisfactory rate, making some cases (even simple ones) to last for years.

Hopefully, they will ultimately understand that there is a lot of money to be made by making Greece the new Netherlands, and start giving licences for cannabis shops and smartshops. All the quality of the Dutch weeds and mushrooms, plus sunshine, beaches, and great nature.

Long live the great Greek crisis!

source in english provided by darkcharmer: greece.greekreporter.com/2011/08/02/decriminalization-of-drug-us/

Post Quality Evaluations:
Thanks for sharing this encouraging news.
Thank you for sharing: excellent news story
Intriguing news, thanks for sharing.

Last edited by saos; 04-08-2011 at 00:56.
Old 03-08-2011, 18:19
Palladium Member

25 y/o Male from Finland
psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.
Points: 1,847, Level: 6 Points: 1,847, Level: 6 Points: 1,847, Level: 6
Re: Greece to make substance use legal!

Wow. Any source for this?
Old 03-08-2011, 18:42
Titanium Member

Male from Canada
darkcharmer really adds to the discussion.darkcharmer really adds to the discussion.darkcharmer really adds to the discussion.darkcharmer really adds to the discussion.darkcharmer really adds to the discussion.darkcharmer really adds to the discussion.
Points: 922, Level: 4 Points: 922, Level: 4 Points: 922, Level: 4

I've got one here:
greece.greekreporter.com/2011/08/02/decriminalization-of-drug-us/

Not legal, but decriminalized.

for providing a source
thaks for providing a source
Old 03-08-2011, 18:57
Alfa Alfa is nu online
Productive insomniac
Administrator

98 y/o Male from Netherlands
Alfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 82,425, Level: 41 Points: 82,425, Level: 41 Points: 82,425, Level: 41
Activity: 46.4% Activity: 46.4% Activity: 46.4%

Quote:
The Greek government made the first big step regarding decriminalization of drug use. Justice Minister Miltiadis Papaioannou presented to the Greek Parliament the basic ideas of a new law concerning drugs. He announced that, for the first time, drug use will be fully decriminalized in Greece, on the condition that the drugs used harm only the behavior and the condition of the user. However, the Minister noted, the possession and supply of drugs and cultivating of cannabis remain punishable actions.
The Minister explained that these actions would be now regarded as misdemeanors, as long as it effects only the user and no others. Minister Papaioannou noted that the law had to be changed because of the minor danger of specific actions. In this way, police will have the ability to deal more quickly and easily with more severe issues. The Minister stressed that the law has a therapeutic approach to the issue and every drug user will be treated as an addicted person who needs help rather than punishment.
greece.greekreporter.com/2011/08/02/decriminalization-of-drug-us/
Old 03-08-2011, 19:01
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from United States
dabullsef is a decent psychonaut.dabullsef is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 150, Level: 1 Points: 150, Level: 1 Points: 150, Level: 1

This is great news! but if i'm reading correctly, only cannabis will have punishment if it effects others not just the user? Why not the other decriminalized drugs?
Old 03-08-2011, 22:47
Titanium Member

Male from Canada
darkcharmer really adds to the discussion.darkcharmer really adds to the discussion.darkcharmer really adds to the discussion.darkcharmer really adds to the discussion.darkcharmer really adds to the discussion.darkcharmer really adds to the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabullsef View Post
This is great news! but if i'm reading correctly, only cannabis will have punishment if it effects others not just the user? Why not the other decriminalized drugs?
It's trying to say that cultivating cannabis specifically will fall into the misdemeanor category (along with possessing any drug), implying that manufacturing other drugs besides cannabis will still be treated harshly. That's the only place cannabis is mentioned in the article, I don't think the "punishment if it affects others besides the user" has any specific reference to cannabis attached to it.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:24

30 y/o Male from Greece

From what i have gathered from newspapers and television stations, the cultivation of any plant that bears a psychoactive substance for personal use, will fall into the same category as cultivating cannabis for personal use. A misdemeanor.

Growing magic mushrooms, coca , salvia, or even poppies, if grown in quantities that can justify personal use, is to be considered a misdemeanor. It is not specifically stated but implied. Processing coca, poppies or any substance to produce a drug, is still unclear if it will be considered a felony or a misdemeanor if the scale can justify personal use. My guess is that it will be considered a felony. I will try and keep you posted on the details.

Now some more details about drug dealing. Large scale drug dealing will be punished by a life sentence that it is usually 25-30 years. Small scale drug dealing will be punished with 10 to 20 years in prison. The current law requires 5 to 10 years of imprisonment.

Terrible news for the entrepreneurs of the wild side, but a long deserved justification for the users.

Last edited by saos; 04-08-2011 at 01:34.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:34
Silver Member

29 y/o Male from United Kingdom
_Dante_ is a decent psychonaut._Dante_ is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 218, Level: 2 Points: 218, Level: 2 Points: 218, Level: 2

Interesting.

Just as Amsterdam are about to turf out all of their drug seeking holiday makers, Greece attempt to cash in while in the depth of a financial crisis.

I'm probably being too cynical, but it's food for thought...

Interesting narcopolitical analysis.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:07
Silver Member

32 y/o Female from United Kingdom
geriann is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 104, Level: 1 Points: 104, Level: 1 Points: 104, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Dante_ View Post
Greece attempt to cash in while in the depth of a financial crisis.
that's the frst thing i thought of too, LOL.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:31
About DF,Various & German
Co-Moderator

Male from Earth
Mersann really knows their shit.Mersann really knows their shit.Mersann really knows their shit.Mersann really knows their shit.Mersann really knows their shit.Mersann really knows their shit.Mersann really knows their shit.Mersann really knows their shit.Mersann really knows their shit.
Points: 2,191, Level: 7 Points: 2,191, Level: 7 Points: 2,191, Level: 7
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%

As this is more about decriminalisation than legalisation, this is probably not about a direct attempt to get more money. But, I, too, thought that this may have to do with all these financial problems they have - it could be that they're trying to cut expenses, rather than trying to get more money.

IMO, if they were really legalising all these drugs (with relatively high taxes) and getting a state monopoly, they might really get plenty of money from taxes, while getting rid of a problem that costs a lot of money. The way they do it, they only get rid of the problem while not gaining additional money - or perhaps this is like a test run, and they will officially legalise it in case their tests are successful.

I fear, that latter idea of mine is wishful thinking, but I could imagine that once one country starts legalising drugs that don't have too much of a negative effect on society, a wave of legalisation might follow, just as to avoid too much money concerning drug tourism going outside the country.

Important clarification. There are subtle differences between decriminalization and legalization.

Last edited by Mersann; 04-08-2011 at 02:57. Reason: syntax
Old 04-08-2011, 02:42

30 y/o Male from Greece
Re: Greece about to decriminalize substance use!

Quote:
Interesting.

Just as Amsterdam are about to turf out all of their drug seeking holiday makers, Greece attempt to cash in while in the depth of a financial crisis.

I'm probably being too cynical, but it's food for thought...
Lets hope that this is the long term plan. For now, the plan is to decriminalize use, but not legalize any kind of sale. Mersann you nailed it.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:26
Silver Member

71 y/o Male from USA - California
veritas.socal must live here.veritas.socal must live here.veritas.socal must live here.veritas.socal must live here.veritas.socal must live here.veritas.socal must live here.veritas.socal must live here.
Points: 1,066, Level: 5 Points: 1,066, Level: 5 Points: 1,066, Level: 5

cannabis was NEVER actually legal in holland
please dont neg rep me if im wrong, but i read somewhere it was only decriminalized and a blind eye turned
the netherlands BANKED, im sure, on canna-tourism, taxes from coffeeshops, etc. people making holland a stop on their holiday, just to go to amsterdan to puff the dank.
i am sure that the greek government will benefit financially from decrim, even if its just the money NOT spent on enforcing the drug laws
Old 07-08-2011, 16:04

Male from Earth
Maca1 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 139, Level: 1 Points: 139, Level: 1 Points: 139, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Another EU country to follow Portugal's lead. Expect many more.
Old 08-08-2011, 14:52
Alfa Alfa is nu online
Productive insomniac
Administrator

Alfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maca1 View Post
Another EU country to follow Portugal's lead. Expect many more.
I hope so, but its not without reason that this important news did not make it to most countries. Most governments do not want such news publicized and more than a few EU governments have a lot more media control than they would admit to.
Old 08-08-2011, 15:18
Banned

57 y/o Male from Togo
salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1
Activity: 17.7% Activity: 17.7% Activity: 17.7%

Being a frequent traveler to Greece and the islands in the late 70's, possession of illegal drugs got you thrown in a Greek Prison. However, when going to a pharmacy on most islands, like Leros, you could obtain Valium Deca and methaqualone OTC. Also in Spain around the same time you could obtain these substances. I was not interested in other things at the time, but who knows what one could have obtained.

I believe that with Greece's current situation about it's debt and government, they just don't have the money to carry on a "Drug War". The Greek people are very proud and generous people. It makes a lot of sense to decriminalize all drugs. Drugs are a social problem, money would be better spent on rehabilitation than incarceration. I have so many fond memories of Greece, it saddens me what they have been going through.

Decriminalize all drugs. Someday, hopefully this will be accomplished.

salgoud
Old 11-08-2011, 00:29
Silver Member

29 y/o Male from United Kingdom
_Dante_ is a decent psychonaut._Dante_ is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 218, Level: 2 Points: 218, Level: 2 Points: 218, Level: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa View Post
I hope so, but its not without reason that this important news did not make it to most countries. Most governments do not want such news publicized and more than a few EU governments have a lot more media control than they would admit to.
Too true!

I read the news regularly, and the only place I have seen this is on here.

I haven't looked for the piece (ie searched for it), though I haven't come across it, and in my opinion, it is news worthy of reporting more widely.

They don't want people knowing and then clamouring for the same legislationin their countries.
Old 11-08-2011, 22:48
Titanium Member

Male from Canada

Quote:
They don't want people knowing and then clamouring for the same legislationin their countries.
I'm also guessing that Greece is a bit embarrassed by this and thus making efforts not to spread it too far and wide (I mean, that paper isn't exactly one that's constantly monitored by the international media). I get the sense that it has nothing to do with increasing liberalization and greater acceptance of scientific findings, and instead - as some others have mentioned - with financial problems.

I nonetheless think you're right, and that this is especially true in the US. There may even be some sort of semi-backroom deal going on that allows them to do this without repercussions from the rest of the first world, as long as they don't advertise it and try to promote drug tourism. I say this not to conspiracy theorize, but because the UN does actually have some strong (US-pressure-based) rules regarding what member nations are and are not allowed to do in terms of their drug laws. They're open about this, it's not a secret - I can dig up sources for that if anyone is interested.
Old 12-08-2011, 19:40
Titanium Member

27 y/o Female from Chile
nomud really adds to the discussion.nomud really adds to the discussion.nomud really adds to the discussion.nomud really adds to the discussion.nomud really adds to the discussion.nomud really adds to the discussion.
Points: 956, Level: 4 Points: 956, Level: 4 Points: 956, Level: 4
Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7%

Terrible what the bankers did to Greece.
Swim thinks this was all a planned debt crisis event.
The central bankers print fiat currency from thin air.
And then bankrupt you by charging interest for money from nothing.
OUCH
In swim's humble opinion they gave Greece
just enough rope to hang themself.
Then the bankers will loot the country at a big
discount.

Shrewd analysis. Very well put.
Old 22-10-2011, 10:10
Silver Member

Male from Australia
Seth_Heinmann is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1

Bolivia has gone even further than Greece. There, they repealed the UN Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs. This, essentially, opens the way, not only for decriminalisation, but legalisation as well.

To find more, simply type "Bolivia" and "UN Single convention on Narcotic Drugs" in a google search.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:34
Silver Member

24 y/o Male from Australia
neuxswalker is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 105, Level: 1 Points: 105, Level: 1 Points: 105, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

This is great, finally countries are waking up to harm minimisation,

Darkcharmer, I am interested to read of such UN practices if you would be so kind as to post references please
Old 03-11-2011, 13:33
Alfa Alfa is nu online
Productive insomniac
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth_Heinmann View Post
To find more, simply type "Bolivia" and "UN Single convention on Narcotic Drugs" in a google search.
Or simpler yet, search for the Bolivia tag here.
Old 05-11-2011, 00:59

22 y/o Male from United States
Prince_RIP should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1

Great step in the right direction, but...how do they think these users are going to get their drugs, if not from drug dealers? I mean, they're still not legal, so you can't get them at shops or anything.
Old 11-11-2011, 22:26

Male from United Kingdom
enantiomer is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1

This is definitely a move in the right direction. i hope that other governments (and more importantly, the media) will see the effectiveness of this policy economically as well as socially. I'm hoping the media will grab onto the idea of decriminalising drugs as an economic policy.
AFOAF is going there this summer - he is very pleased.
Old 02-01-2012, 00:45

Male from United States
Solar Supernova is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1

Decriminalization of all drugs such as seen Portugal and apparently now Greece, is a very nice step forward toward progress in the epidemic of the said country. However, full-scale legalization throughout the globe, if this every happens, will eliminate all black markets and restore countries like Mexico to peace. Gang wars in the US are fueled by the drug trade more than weapons, just like the violence seen during Prohibition.
Old 25-08-2012, 16:57
Silver Member

34 y/o Male from Greece
mkultra5979 is captain of the psychonauts.mkultra5979 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 285, Level: 2 Points: 285, Level: 2 Points: 285, Level: 2
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

So, one year ago, the Greek goverment announced the legalisation of cannabis (not actually legal, but decriminalized).
I am able to assure you that nothing has happened yet. Few days ago, one of my friends arrested for cannabis possession, spent a night in prison and pending adjudication (he had only 4 grams of marijuana...)
Some people say that from next month (September) the law is gonna be in order, but nothing officialy yet.
But, what really is the truth about this?
Fact 1. Today, Greece faces the disastrous economical crisis and the huge external debt.
Fact 2. Greece's big problem is also unemployment (close to Spain, about 23%).
Fact 3. The Greek goverment (conservative political party) is involved in the "war against all drugs".
Fact 4. Most of the Greeks are very poorly informed on psychotropic substances. For example, if someone is a user of cannabis, is automatically considered as a heroin addict.
Fact 5. The Greek paradox is that you can very easily buy benzodiazepines from a drug store: you go to a doc., pay him €50 and after 5 minutes you leave with a bunch of benzos and antidepressants. I know people who are using hypnotics for ten years (mainly zopiclone and flunitrazepam). Although everybody knows that benzo use is not recommended over 4 weeks, the psycho-docs here are really 'drug dealers'. The over-prescribing of drugs is a common phenomenon. Finally, I think that Greece is the only country in Europe that is available a brand of flunitrazepam 2 mgs (Vulbegal) - correct me if I'm wrong. You can also purchase over-the-counter powerfull sedatives like amitriptyline, doxepine, quetiapine, etc. And the pharmacists do not care and do not know what they are selling...
Summary: A large percentage of prisoners in Greece, are sentenced for possession of cannabis. Although, Greek goverment does not really want to deal with the legalization of cannabis; a system, composed of corrupted people. Greece unfortunately, is not ready for the decriminalization of cannabis. And that is ridiculous, because I am able to know that the majority of young people use cannabis; and are forced to take risks dealing with the 'black market'.
Thanks for reading and I apologise for my poor english.

No need for apology here. Good post, but can you revisit here to update about the sources of this information.
very interesting input, always good to hear personal experience from the country concerned

Share this on:

Tags
bolivia, dealers, dealing, drug deal, drug dealer, drug dealers, drug dealing, drug legalisation, drug legalization, drug legislation, drug use, financial crisis, legalization of drugs, narcotic, single convention on narcotic drugs