Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Various drugs not covered by other forums Discussion of Psychoactive drugs that do not have a specific forum

Old 27-07-2011, 10:41

Male from United States
jackiesbaby should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 781, Level: 4 Points: 781, Level: 4 Points: 781, Level: 4
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
What are the effects of inhaling rubbing isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol?

Yes, I am well aware this is highly dangerous, and I have no intention of actually trying it, but i'm merely curious.

What are the effects? When I tried googling it, it only listed the bad effects such as headache/trouble breathing/gastric problems, but what are the good effects? I mean, people like it and get addicted to it, so there must be at least one good/fun effect. I just don't care enough to try and find out myself :P
Old 27-07-2011, 10:47
Palladium Member

29 y/o Male from United States
torachi really knows their shit.torachi really knows their shit.torachi really knows their shit.torachi really knows their shit.torachi really knows their shit.torachi really knows their shit.torachi really knows their shit.torachi really knows their shit.torachi really knows their shit.torachi really knows their shit.
Points: 4,377, Level: 9 Points: 4,377, Level: 9 Points: 4,377, Level: 9
Re: What are the effects of inhaling rubbing isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol?

I'm sorry, but who is addicted to isopropyl alcohol? There aren't any good effects.
Old 27-07-2011, 10:48

Male from United States
jackiesbaby should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 781, Level: 4 Points: 781, Level: 4 Points: 781, Level: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by torachi View Post
I'm sorry, but who is addicted to isopropyl alcohol? There aren't any good effects.
Look up "huffing isopropyl alcohol" and you'll see a lot of people who claim to be addicted/formerly addicted.
Old 27-07-2011, 11:06
Silver Member

Male from USA - California
Enlightenment is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 270, Level: 2 Points: 270, Level: 2 Points: 270, Level: 2
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

Don't do that. (Sadly) There are better things to be huff'ed.

Such as N2O

I've heard of people putting iso (or maybe it was vodka/pure ethanol...don't take my word for it!) in their bong and taking a rip. Apparently, inhaling the fumes will allow the alcohol to be absorbed by your lungs, a la it makes it to your blood and donc you are drunk. It is highly dangerous, and far from worth it.
I may be talking out of my ass, but alcohol is meant to be drank rather than inhaled (and for those who are bat shit crazy...IV'd).

Last edited by Enlightenment; 27-07-2011 at 11:13.
Old 27-07-2011, 12:24
Gold Member

Male from Earth
Stimulants must live here.Stimulants must live here.Stimulants must live here.Stimulants must live here.Stimulants must live here.Stimulants must live here.Stimulants must live here.
Points: 1,317, Level: 5 Points: 1,317, Level: 5 Points: 1,317, Level: 5
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%

When the web search engines are inquired about alcohol inhalation, they return results containing information on alcohol inhaler meant to substitute drinking.

Though isopropyl alcohol is also intoxicating, drinking or inhaling it is likely to cause unpleasant side effects.
Old 26-08-2011, 23:09
Gold Member

30 y/o Male from Netherlands
Pino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPAC
Points: 1,973, Level: 6 Points: 1,973, Level: 6 Points: 1,973, Level: 6
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

Isopropyl alcohol is one of the less damaging alcohols. The effect should be mainly the same as ethanol. It has a couple of characteristics, which makes it more undesirable:

• It is metabolised into acetone. This will stay in the body for a long time. While aceton isn't particular toxic, it smells. People will smell it.
  • It is two times as potent as normal ethanol. So overdose can happen even more easily than with alcohol.
  • There is a lot less research done on isopropanol.
It shares a lot of properties with ethanol: It is an irritant. It gives euphoria. It can make you drunk. It gives problems with the stomach (and probably heighten the changes of getting stomach cancer).

On the positive side, one could imagine, that it will give less a headache. Aceton is a mild long acting sedative. Ethanol has nastier metabolites and it doesn't lower the ph of the blood.

But in general I wouldn't drink it. Mainly because of the lack of research.

Inhaling seems to be a different story. It seems the stuff is quite harsh on the lungs. If you already have irritated lungs (copd, asthma, ..) it can make coughing worse. Inhaling it also causes headaches. Here is a source, which gives references and doesn't seem to focus on recreational use. So it seems to be quite neutral about the issue: http://www.livestrong.com/article/15...ropyl-alcohol/

I understand it is tantalizing, why we choose this particular alcohol. Probably it is one, which occurs the most in nature, but others can be as safe as ethanol is. I made once a compilation of other solvents and their metabolites:
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...980#post356980

I think that will interest you too.

Post Quality Evaluations:
very informative
neutral yet very well-researched & informative post. good use of forum resources.

Last edited by Pino; 26-08-2011 at 23:18. Reason: Forgot to say something about the similarities of alcohol
Old 27-08-2011, 16:48
Gold Finger

33 y/o Female from United States
chibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,420, Level: 7 Points: 2,420, Level: 7 Points: 2,420, Level: 7
Activity: 5.5% Activity: 5.5% Activity: 5.5%

Lest anyone get the wrong idea about acetone being a sedative, while it's less toxic than formic acid, it and isopropanol are not safe alternatives to ethanol by any stretch of the imagination. Acetone may be safer than one would expect from something that dissolves nail polish (and burns like a motherfucker if you get it on a paper cut...stupid lab notes...) but don't go huffing or drinking it. Enough acetone will send you into metabolic acidosis.

As I understand, ingesting isopropanol by either inhalation or ingestion will get you "drunk" similar to ethanol, but with more of the crappy aspects of being drunk. This is what alcoholics drink when the liquor stores and bars won't sell them ethanol. Don't sink to that level.

excellent point about acetone being safer but by NO means safe!
Old 28-08-2011, 10:22
Gold Member

Pino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPAC

I don't think SWIOP was willing to drink it. At least he stated so:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiesbaby View Post
Yes, I am well aware this is highly dangerous, and I have no intention of actually trying it, but i'm merely curious.
:P
I am willing to believe that.

Acetone is actually somewhat safer than ethanol. 900 ml acetone, ethanol 400 ml and 240 ml of isopropanol can kill you. (Quickly calculated it. Can be off) Acetone doesn't metabolize into carcinogenic acetylaldehyde , but in glucose en acetate. Isopropanol metabolize into All these alcohols can dissolve nail polish. Acetone and Ethanol will cause acidosis. Isopropanol won't.

I think there are different problems. Acetone has an insane half-time (30 hours), which is clearly not usable as recreational substance. Isopropanol is twice as toxic. People drink theirself with ethanol in drunken stupor. With isopropanol, they will drink till they are dead.
Ethanol can be drunken into a social setting, which promotes safety. The other two clearly can't.

Ethanol has a long history of use, the usage and abuse of ethanol is well documented. The health effects are known. The health effects of isopropanol are less well known. E.g:

Another scary thing about isopropanol I found is the following blurp:

Quote:
If my memory hasn't failed me, isopropanol is reckoned to be one of the
safest solvents around. However, under acidic conditions all alcohols react
with halides (chlorides...) and sulfates to form alkylating agents.
Isopropyl halides/sulfate/sulfonates are (or were?) thought to be
particularly potent mutagens (and by by inference) carcinogens. Such low
level risks are difficult if not impossible to evaluate, because they are
drowned out by spontaneous events.
This makes isopropanol not safe to use.

I think the bottomline is that none of the solvents (including ethanol) are really safe to use. And no solvent is ever safe to inhalate.

That doesn't mean that the safety of other alcohols than ethanol can't be questioned. The question is rather interesting.

One can speculate, if a prevention forum is the right place to philosophy about these matters. I am not sure about that, but curiosity itself is not a bad thing. It is good to ask questions.

Last edited by Pino; 28-08-2011 at 10:25. Reason: Added some clearifications.
Old 29-08-2011, 18:49
Gold Finger

chibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPAC

I did notice jackiesbaby said (s)he has no intention of trying it, but I'm always worried about less cautious people coming across threads like this and getting the wrong idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pino View Post
Acetone and Ethanol will cause acidosis. Isopropanol won't.
But since isopropanol metabolizes into acetone....the danger here relates to one's particular levels of aldehyde dehydrogenase. Someone who gets a flush from ethanol could potentially end up with serious problems from drinking isopropanol. (As I understand; feel free to correct me.)

Quote:
However, under acidic conditions all alcohols react
with halides (chlorides...) and sulfates to form alkylating agents.
Just curious where you heard this.

Good point about less cautious people
Old 30-08-2011, 09:32
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibi curmudgeon View Post
I did notice jackiesbaby said (s)he has no intention of trying it, but I'm always worried about less cautious people coming across threads like this and getting the wrong idea.
True, I wouldn't like that either. I hope the consensus keeps: Just don't.

Quote:
But since isopropanol metabolizes into acetone....the danger here relates to one's particular levels of aldehyde dehydrogenase. Someone who gets a flush from ethanol could potentially end up with serious problems from drinking isopropanol. (As I understand; feel free to correct me.)

Just curious where you heard this.
Found it here, checked it against wikipedia. I am not sure, but it seems scary enough.

http://www.natscience.com/Uwe/Forum....s-than-ethanol

Last edited by Pino; 30-08-2011 at 09:39. Reason: Damaged bbcode
Old 01-09-2011, 22:58
Gold Member

Quote:
But since isopropanol metabolizes into acetone....the danger here relates to one's particular levels of aldehyde dehydrogenase. Someone who gets a flush from ethanol could potentially end up with serious problems from drinking isopropanol.
I am interested in the aldehyde dehydrogenase story. Why is it more dangerous than ethanol? What is the relation of the level of aldehyde dehydrogenase?

I find the subject rather interesting, I don't ever want to try it. It is just a particular curiosity. I am not fond of ethanol for that matter. Someone is more into hallucinogens and mild opiates. I mean, solvents are the most used drugs on the world. It is a shame that there is so little information about them.
Old 01-09-2011, 23:05
Silver Member

Female from United States
The_Joker is on the way upThe_Joker is on the way upThe_Joker is on the way up
Points: 382, Level: 3 Points: 382, Level: 3 Points: 382, Level: 3
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%

Wow...it never occurred to me that a person would be able to GET any sort of high off this...

Well for what it's worth, i spent most of the morning spray painting some posts (indoors but it was a big area in our shop so i thought it would be okay)...my nose felt weird and like it was all stuck together and i went and looked in the mirror and was horrified...I was painting the poles white and my nose all around it and up in it looked like i had been on a giant cocaine binge....I went home quick to clean up before anyone could see it, my husband was amused as it happened to him as well the day before...

I came home and had no idea what to use so i soaked a paper towel with alcohol and used it to clean my face and up my nose... it burned but it didnt get me high...i wasnt expecting it too though (I was expecting it to burn though)

So thats my experience with it...
Old 14-09-2011, 18:59
Gold Finger

Ok, according to the wiki pages I looked at, many haloalkanes are alkylating agents, but isopropyl chloride (and chloroethane) aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pino View Post
I am interested in the aldehyde dehydrogenase story. Why is it more dangerous than ethanol? What is the relation of the level of aldehyde dehydrogenase?
If one can't break down isopropanol or acetone quickly enough, toxic levels of each could result. In someone with normal levels of alcohol and aldehyde dehydrogenase, respectively, isopropanol would be metabolized to acetone and then to acetate with no problems, same as ethanol is metabolized to acetaldehyde then acetate...and I feel like I must be getting this wrong but I'm not sure how. Fucking chemistry, always driving me to drink.

Essentially, if drinking ethanol doesn't give you problems, such as flushing and hangovers, drinking isopropanol probably won't give you too many either. I'm guessing the biggest problems from drinking the latter would be, as I mentioned, the possibility of ketoacidosis--too much acetone and not enough water or what have you lowering your blood pH to dangerous levels.

Share this on:

Tags
acetone, acohol, addicted, addiction, alcohol, alcohol effects, alcohol inhalation, bad ideas, bong, butane, drug, drug forums, drugs, drunk, ethyl alcohol, health, health effects, huffing, inhalants, isopropanol, isopropyl alcohol, lung cancer