Ecstasy & MDMA Ecstasy (XTC) pills and pure MDMA

Old 21-07-2011, 23:31

Male from United Kingdom
friendly_fiend is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Avoiding nausea on MDMA?

Hello people,

A friend of mine was after advice on avoiding MDMA nausea. He would like to know a bit about the nature of MDMA and why it causes nausea? Is it acidic or something? Are there any particular foods that should be avoided? Has anybody tried taking stomach settler medicine like Pepto Bismol with it? He says that when taking Ketamine for example, nausea can be avoided by drinking orange juice to neutralise the alkalinity.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 21-07-2011, 23:57
Straight out of Trumpton
Co-Moderator

50 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Mindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,647, Level: 12 Points: 7,647, Level: 12 Points: 7,647, Level: 12
Activity: 20.0% Activity: 20.0% Activity: 20.0%
Re: Avoiding nausea on MDMA?

Serotonin is found in enterochromafin cells in the gut, where it helps regulate digestion/movement of the gut.
When levels of serotonin are too high for blood platelets to store, this triggers 5HT3 receptors in the chemo-receptor trigger zone in the medulla, signalling the vomiting centre to start vomiting.
That's my guess at why MDMA can cause nausea. MDMA ingestion causes a rise in production of serotonin, and that makes your brain think your stomach has been poisoned.
Anyway, nausea always seems to be a benchmark of good MDMA. My Uncle Baldylocks is probably too decrepit to take the stuff now, but he used to ride the nausea out. No remedies come to mind, unless you try an anti-emetic or maybe a travel sickness remedy like promethazine. With a new batch of mdma, Baldylocks would always take a small test dose first. Minimising dosage should help with the nausea.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Thanks for the informative and scientific response

Last edited by Mindless; 22-07-2011 at 01:19.
Old 22-07-2011, 01:24
Banned

Male from Earth
shivas is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1

Is swim the only one who never heard about this side effect of mdma??

Swim knows everyone's body reacts differently to it, but he nor anyone he knows ever had nausea while on mdma.
Old 22-07-2011, 01:32
Straight out of Trumpton
Co-Moderator

Mindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum

Nausea and vomiting are pretty well-known, and documented adverse effects of MDMA.
Not every user will become nauseous, but old Baldy never had a good dose of MDMA without nausea at least. That feeling does subside though.
Old 22-07-2011, 07:55

Male from United Kingdom

Thanks for the informative responses. Smaller doses to begin with perhaps may be best course of action. Are there any foods that don't mix well in the gut with MDMA? I know that protein, for example is hard to digest. Should he eat foods of a certain PH before?
Old 22-07-2011, 08:21
Banned

27 y/o Male from United States
Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.

As SWIMindless scholarly stated, serotonin bombarding the 5-HT3 receptor and activating the chemo receptor trigger zone of the medulla is the primary cause of nausea from MDMA.

The easiest solution would be to try combining with a 5-HT3 antagonist like ondansetron or granisetron which could reduce the centrally activated nausea.
Old 22-07-2011, 22:37
Silver Member

47 y/o Male from United States
avcpl is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 132, Level: 1 Points: 132, Level: 1 Points: 132, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roads View Post
As SWIMindless scholarly stated, serotonin bombarding the 5-HT3 receptor and activating the chemo receptor trigger zone of the medulla is the primary cause of nausea from MDMA.

The easiest solution would be to try combining with a 5-HT3 antagonist like ondansetron or granisetron which could reduce the centrally activated nausea.
sounds intriguing, but these are both only available by prescription in the US, correct?
Old 23-07-2011, 00:33
Silver Member

24 y/o Male from United Kingdom
sinnerek21 is learning how to become a psychonaut.

MDMA definitely gives SWIM nausea, especially on the come-up.. Sometimes he's on the edge of vomiting, but it always gets better, quickly.
Old 23-07-2011, 00:36
Banned

27 y/o Male from United States
Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avcpl View Post
sounds intriguing, but these are both only available by prescription in the US, correct?
Correct. To my panda's knowledge there are no over the counter 5-HT3 antagonists. One would have to visit a physician and "complain" of nausea in order to get one.

However, even one did just that, it would be unlikely you'd be immediately prescribed a 5-HT3 antagonist. They would probably prescribe you dramamine or some similar treatment for general nausea/motion sickness etc.

Unfortunately they are usually prescribed for nausea as it relates to chemo therapy treatment (hence the effect on the 'chemo receptor trigger zone'); or nausea at it relates to treatment with serotonergic anti-depressants.

One couldn't exactly say to their doctor "I want to roll without serotonin hitting my 5-HT3 receptors and making me nauseas, give me some ondansetron."
Old 23-07-2011, 17:29
Straight out of Trumpton
Co-Moderator

It occurred to me that peppermint oil is a treatment for IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and nausea. The digestive tract contains up to 96% of the body's 5HT3 and 5HT4, and it is thought that the effects of these plays a role in IBS.
Does peppermint oil have some of the properties of a 5HT3 antagonist? It might be worth a try in any case.
Ginger tea and caraway seed oil are also used in a similar context. If anyone tries one of these remedies with MDMA, would you let us know what the outcome was?

Last edited by Mindless; 23-07-2011 at 17:58.
Old 23-07-2011, 20:47
MDMA, RC & News Forums

44 y/o Male from United States
Terrapinzflyer is a true resource and beyond reputeTerrapinzflyer is a true resource and beyond reputeTerrapinzflyer is a true resource and beyond reputeTerrapinzflyer is a true resource and beyond reputeTerrapinzflyer is a true resource and beyond reputeTerrapinzflyer is a true resource and beyond reputeTerrapinzflyer is a true resource and beyond reputeTerrapinzflyer is a true resource and beyond reputeTerrapinzflyer is a true resource and beyond reputeTerrapinzflyer is a true resource and beyond reputeTerrapinzflyer is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,888, Level: 20 Points: 19,888, Level: 20 Points: 19,888, Level: 20

I think far and away the most common time for nausea with MDMA is during the "weird period" - that time when you are starting to feel the effects, but really aren't quite sure if you are...

2nd most common is towards the tail end of the high- and seems much more common with high cumulative dosages for the trip, and many report smoking tobacco can make this more likely as well.

A number of related threads:

Dry heaving before MDMA come-up?

If SWIY wanted to not feel sick on MDMA, would SWIY take anti-acid or an anti-nausea?

MDMA and upset stomach/Cimetidine?

Throwing up because of ecstasy

MDMA and nausea

Vomiting + Paranoia on Ecstasy (NOT Coming up Nausea)

Puking whilst coming up

very useful threads with answers
Thanks. Very informative.
Old 24-07-2011, 13:30

Male from United Kingdom

My friend had a great, nausea free night on MDMA last night. He told me that he started with porridge for breakfast, followed by a banana at lunch then waited an hour or so before dropping a small bomb. He was hydrated and avoided alcohol. A gram of the stuff was gobbled with no nausea. He had an isotonic lucozade drink to provide a bit of energy and good hydration. Multivitamin juice drink before bed followed by a tin of Nourishment (protein shake) in the morning. He said that he found taking a few precautions lead to a much better night and morning,

some useful feedback and good tips to prevent nausea
Old 26-07-2011, 18:27

Male from United Kingdom
Kebz0rz should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1

Advice on avoiding nausea:

1. If swallowing the MDMA, split it into several small bombs (maybe about 6-8 per half gram? it may seem like a lot, but its the main prevention of nausea) wrapped in rizla. SWIM finds this brings on the high more gradually than taking one massive bomb or snorting it, as your body is shocked by this alien chemical rushing to your brain, and the nausea is your body trying to make you vomit it out.

2. Line your stomach before you go out. I know MDMA makes you feel energetic, but it doesn't actually contain much energy. Without lining your stomach with a good, slow release energy food such as pasta, your blood sugar levels remain low. Nausea is basically your blood pressure dropping. Low blood sugar won't help this. Also it's likely you won't be eating for a while, so you'll feel better in the morning.

3. Avoid smoking cigarettes until you know you have fully come up. SWIM, a long of a few of SWIMs nausea prone friends, find that smoking whilst coming up triggers the nausea. I think that its something to do with both the MDMA and nicotine going to your brain at the same time, which must be too much or something.

4. If you feel nauseas, and you're at a club, you need to do 4 things. Firstly, sit down outside to get fresh air. It will make you feel better eventually. Secondly, remember you're not going to feel like that for long. Thirdly, don't panic, and finally, don't panic about panicking.

Hope this helps. SWIM hates 'wobblers', SWIM used to get them all the time, until he formulated these steps.
Old 26-07-2011, 19:11
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Female from Earth
Tillianne is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 195, Level: 2 Points: 195, Level: 2 Points: 195, Level: 2

First, I would like to be honest and tell you that I have never done this particular drug. However, I am really good on nausea/vomiting control, due to many reasons, one being migraines.

I have always been able to control very hard urges to vomit with large doses of powdered ginger in capsules. I learned this trick when I was doing shrooms, and always vomited on the come up. That is until I started taking large quantities of ginger about 1/2 hour before dosing.

It always worked for me, and other people that tried it. I make my own capsules and use size "00." I would take 6 capsules before dosing the shrooms.

I don't do shrooms anymore, but am still able to keep my nausea at bay using ginger capsules and ginger ale.
Old 28-07-2011, 03:45
Silver Member

Female from Earth
zenchicken is a decent psychonaut.zenchicken is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 196, Level: 2 Points: 196, Level: 2 Points: 196, Level: 2
Activity: 3.1% Activity: 3.1% Activity: 3.1%

I rarely, and I mean really RARELY throw up (once or twice a year, when I'm reeeeeeally sick) but I do get nauseous on MDMA, during the come up. I have recently started taking antacids before taking my dose, and I find it helps a bit. Apart from that, deep breaths and trying to relax helps as well. Gingerale is also nice!

That being said, I did throw up once on mdma, after eating some icecream... couldn't even control myself, I just though "uh-oh something doesn't feel right!" and threw up on my way to the bathroom. After that, cleaned myself up and all was well again, but people told me I looked very very pale so I think my stomach "halted" the digestion of the icecream or something, and just needed to eject it, lol.
Old 26-10-2011, 17:01

Male from United Kingdom
hw1991 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1

SWIM have also regularly vomitted whilst on mdma, only towards the end of the high. He has never felt sick on the come up, but pretty much everytime he does it he is sick.

He's always been careful to remain hydrated and to eat before, any other things i could suggest to him?
Old 26-10-2011, 17:24

22 y/o Male from United States
marley7692 should review received reputation comments.
Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
My gecko has done his fair share of mdma in this past year. And out of the 60-70 times my gecko has only gotten nauseous twice. Once from a bad e pill....he told me he puked like 15 times at least....I know a lot of throw up for a tiny gecko. And the second time he accidentally railed a whole gram of the purest mdma he's ever had but he didn't puke. But other than that my gecko sais the only times he's heard of other people getting nauseous is bad e pills or bad molli

"you just can't live in that negative way.....make way for the positive day" -Bob Marley
Old 26-10-2011, 19:48

34 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Technohead is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1

SWIM has never been nauseous on the come-up or during MDMA use, but has felt very ill the days following use which probably related to a fluctuating high temperature and badly affected appetite.

SWIM never tried it but has since heard that peppermint tea is very good for controlling nausea, might be worth a try. If the enviroment doesn't allow maybe peppermint sweets or gum would work.
Old 28-10-2011, 06:57
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

50 y/o Male from Earth
Wanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 6,721, Level: 12 Points: 6,721, Level: 12 Points: 6,721, Level: 12
Activity: 7.3% Activity: 7.3% Activity: 7.3%

Mr. Hamster has been fortunate that he's never had nausea with MDMA, but has with some other things. Not fun at all, so he sympathizes.

The hamster has heard his lab rats talking about the 2C-x Chemical Family, and the trouble they cause with nausea as with most phenethylamines. In particular there are some critters with concerns over the nausea produced when they ingest 2C-I.

Seems from what the hamster has read, a few small slices of picked ginger seem to do the trick fairly well. Check out this thread about how to deal with nausea:

Prevention of 2C-I nausea?

The hamster's lab rats haven't tried ginger like this, but suspect it might work and may give it a goo and report back on their results.

Be well...
Old 20-11-2011, 01:51

Male from United Kingdom

SWIM has now tried ginger, but there is no difference of the outcome. after he comes off the high, its almost guaranteed it happens. He's also tried splitting up his dosage into smaller amounts but again, no difference.

any other ideas?
Old 20-11-2011, 21:43
MDMA, RC & News Forums

Terrapinzflyer is a true resource and beyond reputeTerrapinzflyer is a true resource and beyond reputeTerrapinzflyer is a true resource and beyond reputeTerrapinzflyer is a true resource and beyond reputeTerrapinzflyer is a true resource and beyond reputeTerrapinzflyer is a true resource and beyond reputeTerrapinzflyer is a true resource and beyond reputeTerrapinzflyer is a true resource and beyond reputeTerrapinzflyer is a true resource and beyond reputeTerrapinzflyer is a true resource and beyond reputeTerrapinzflyer is a true resource and beyond repute

^^ How much total are they using in the course of the night? Also- are they smoking (cigarettes or cannabis) or drinking alcohol?
Old 21-11-2011, 00:16
Silver Member

Female from Earth

Isn't cannabis supposed to be an antiemetic? So it should, in theory, help alleviate nausea.
Old 21-11-2011, 01:06
MDMA, RC & News Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenchicken View Post
Isn't cannabis supposed to be an antiemetic? So it should, in theory, help alleviate nausea.
In theory yes. But many users seem to report something along the lines of the dry mouth/throat associated with smoking cannabis or tobacco playing a role in nausea at the end of an MDMA experience.
Old 21-11-2011, 02:11
Silver Member

Female from Earth

Thanks, Terrapinzflyer. One can always learn from you
Old 21-11-2011, 11:22

Male from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapinzflyer View Post
^^ How much total are they using in the course of the night? Also- are they smoking (cigarettes or cannabis) or drinking alcohol?
Terrapinzflyer, he said to me SWIM took half gram over the course of the night, had 3-4 cans of beer and a zoot before he went out. he is a smoker also, so i assume cigarettes too.

Share this on:

Tags
3.4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine, 4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine, alcohol, cannabis, cigarettes, dimenhydrinate, drugs, drugs forum, ecstasy, entactogen, mdma, peppermint, serotonin, shrooms, smoking cigarettes, stimulant, tobacco, xtc