Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Various drugs not covered by other forums Discussion of Psychoactive drugs that do not have a specific forum

Old 20-07-2011, 15:06

Male from United States
jackiesbaby should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 781, Level: 4 Points: 781, Level: 4 Points: 781, Level: 4
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Is Ephedrine still legal in the US?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum. Anyway, is it illegal? I went to a pharmacy and asked about it and the man said it was pulled off the market due to being dangerous to the heart.

If it's not illegal, where do I get it? It seems like a wonder drug for me for two reasons...

1. I have asthma, and it's good for asthma.
2. I've been desperately trying to lose weight and nothing has been working, so this might.

I really don't give a crap about the negative effects on the heart as my heart is perfectly fine.
Old 20-07-2011, 16:11
Silver Member

63 y/o Male from United States
Corlan is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1
Re: Is Ephedrine still legal in the US?

Most states are clamping down on over the counter ephedrine sales .Anybody with asthma should have no problem with getting a legal script from a doctor. Ephedrine is linked to small scale methylamphetamine labs. So at the least they will ask for an ID .
Old 20-07-2011, 17:06
trdofbeingtrd trdofbeingtrd is nu online
Palladium Member

33 y/o Male from United States
trdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,537, Level: 12 Points: 7,537, Level: 12 Points: 7,537, Level: 12
Activity: 3.2% Activity: 3.2% Activity: 3.2%

You can buy Primitine at the pharmacy, they want your I.D. and you can only buy so much, so often, especially to stay out of the eyes of people thinking people want it to make stuffs out of it.

It is legal, no prescription needed at least in my state (Arizona).

Oh, the poster above said the same about the I.D., sorry.

So, yeah, ephedrine and psuedophedrine are both legal at this time, I think it all U.S. states, might want to check though.
Old 20-07-2011, 17:10

Male from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdofbeingtrd View Post
You can buy Primitine at the pharmacy, they want your I.D. and you can only buy so much, so often, especially to stay out of the eyes of people thinking people want it to make stuffs out of it.

It is legal, no prescription needed at least in my state (Arizona).

Oh, the poster above said the same about the I.D., sorry.

So, yeah, ephedrine and psuedophedrine are both legal at this time, I think it all U.S. states, might want to check though.
I tried asking for something with Ephedrine at the pharmacy. They told me they don't have it.
Old 20-07-2011, 17:31
trdofbeingtrd trdofbeingtrd is nu online
Palladium Member

33 y/o Male from United States
trdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,537, Level: 12 Points: 7,537, Level: 12 Points: 7,537, Level: 12
Activity: 3.2% Activity: 3.2% Activity: 3.2%

Yeah, when you just ask for ephedrine, they will say that.

When people don't have justified reasons for wanting something behind the pharmacy counter, then usually they don't get what they are asking for. I am not trying to be a jerk, I am just telling you how it is.

If I went to the pharmacy today and asked "do you have ephedrine", they would probably ask (if they don't just say no) "for what", then it's up to me to tell them why I need the medication that has the ephedrine in it. This is with all OTC (over the counter) medications and they can lie to you, they can even refuse service to you if they feel you are trying to just get a cheap high.

Again, not being a jerk, just letting you know how it is.
Old 20-07-2011, 19:01

Male from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdofbeingtrd View Post
Yeah, when you just ask for ephedrine, they will say that.

When people don't have justified reasons for wanting something behind the pharmacy counter, then usually they don't get what they are asking for. I am not trying to be a jerk, I am just telling you how it is.

If I went to the pharmacy today and asked "do you have ephedrine", they would probably ask (if they don't just say no) "for what", then it's up to me to tell them why I need the medication that has the ephedrine in it. This is with all OTC (over the counter) medications and they can lie to you, they can even refuse service to you if they feel you are trying to just get a cheap high.

Again, not being a jerk, just letting you know how it is.
Sorry if my last post came out as asshole-ish, didn't mean it that way at all. Thank you very much for lettin' me know
Old 20-07-2011, 19:03
Titanium Member

27 y/o Male from United States
Benzeneringz really adds to the discussion.Benzeneringz really adds to the discussion.Benzeneringz really adds to the discussion.Benzeneringz really adds to the discussion.Benzeneringz really adds to the discussion.Benzeneringz really adds to the discussion.
Points: 910, Level: 4 Points: 910, Level: 4 Points: 910, Level: 4

According to the DEA, ephedrine is not illegal. It is, however, regulated. In the past, ephedrine products were marketed as anorectics under brand names like Mini-Thins. These products were very popular due to their effectiveness in successful weight loss. But harmful side-effects, particularly cardiovascular problems, ultimately lead the government to pull the products from shelves. Ephedrine is still available as an OTC decongestant, often as a combination product. Other decongestants, like guaifenesin, are added to prevent the misuse of ephedrine. Another restriction involves the product to be kept behind the counter or locked in a display case. This is meant to deter theft, as ephedrine is a highly sought-after precursor in the clandestine production of methamphetamine. The molecular structure of ephedrine closely resembles that of amphetamine; the process is less complex than the use of psuedoephedrine as a precursor.

So basically, no, ephedrine isn't illegal. It's just regulated. And you're not gonna find an ephedrine-based diet pill at the supermarket. You can probably find something for your asthma though. I'd look online if you want some sort of weight-loss drug that contains ephedrine. Hope that helped.

Post Quality Evaluations:
informative post, thanks.

Last edited by Phenoxide; 21-08-2011 at 15:37.
Old 20-07-2011, 19:14

Male from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzeneringz View Post
According to the DEA , ephedrine is not illegal. It is, however, regulated. In the past, ephedrine products were marketed as anorectics under brand names like Mini-Thins. These products were very popular due to their effectiveness in successful weight loss. But harmful side-effects, particularly cardiovascular problems, ultimately lead the government to pull the products from shelves. Ephedrine is still available as an OTC decongestant, often as a combination product. Other decongestants, like guaifenesin, are added to prevent the misuse of ephedrine. Another restriction involves the product to be kept behind the counter or locked in a display case. This is meant to deter theft, as ephedrine is a highly sought-after precursor in the clandestine production of methamphetamine. The molecular structure of ephedrine closely resembles that of amphetamine; the process is less complex than the use of psuedoephedrine as a precursor.

So basically, no, ephedrine isn't illegal. It's just regulated. And you're not gonna find an ephedrine-based diet pill at the supermarket. You can probably find something for your asthma though. I'd look online if you want some sort of weight-loss drug that contains ephedrine. Hope that helped.
While it's true I can't fine ephedrine products marketed as diet pills, the asthma ephedrine-containing OTC supplements are still effective for weight loss, right?
Old 20-07-2011, 19:29
Silver Member

43 y/o Male from United States
scribe_of_the_unthinkable is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1

Just wanted to give another good brand name for ephedrine: Bronkaid. I think the problem you encountered when you asked for ephedrine at the pharmacy was ignorance. I have seriously dealt with pharmacists who can't tell you whether a product contains ephedrine and pseudoephedrine. As we all know, there is a huge difference!
Old 20-07-2011, 19:34
Titanium Member

27 y/o Male from United States
Benzeneringz really adds to the discussion.Benzeneringz really adds to the discussion.Benzeneringz really adds to the discussion.Benzeneringz really adds to the discussion.Benzeneringz really adds to the discussion.Benzeneringz really adds to the discussion.
Points: 910, Level: 4 Points: 910, Level: 4 Points: 910, Level: 4

Sure, to an extent. But keep in mind you'll be ingesting more than just the ephedrine every time you take a dose. This means you'll have an extra set of side effects to deal with in lieu of any beneficial effects. For example, if the product contains ephedrine 25 milligrams and guaifenesin 250 milligrams... the moderate dose of ephedrine will have an anorectic effect, albeit a modest one, but a common side-effect of guaifenesin is nausea and vomiting. Dizziness is also a side-effect.

But to answer your question, yes, it would suppress your appetite to a degree. If I were you, I would look into other substances with anorectic properties, like synephrine.
Old 23-07-2011, 16:55
Silver Member

43 y/o Male from United States
scribe_of_the_unthinkable is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzeneringz View Post
Sure, to an extent. But keep in mind you'll be ingesting more than just the ephedrine every time you take a dose.
Right, and all that guaifenesin can be nasty indeed. I know straight ephedrine pills (no guaifenesin) are available online, as SWIM has ordered them before. They are probably your best bet.

Share this on:

Tags
arizona, asthma, dea, drug forums, drugs, drugs-forum, ephedra, ephedrine, laws, lose weight, ohio, over the counter drug, united states, usa, weight loss