Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 06-07-2011, 17:02

Male from United States
swollcat is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Opiate withdrawl.. How long until i feel normal again?

Hi, so I have recently decided to kick the habit of poppin pills. Its been 4 days. I was using vicodin, percs, or tramadol for about 1yr-1.5yr on a daily basis. Not a high level of abuse but I defiantly abused them, the most Ive ever taken was about 60mg of vicodin in one day. The withdrawls aren't the worst thing ive been through but is pretty bad, Im starting to feel a lot better now tho. My question is simple, how long and will I ever feel normal again? Like not depressed and feel like a junky? lol may sound stupid to some but right now I feel like Ill never live a normal life again.. So if someone who has been through a similar experience plz share. It would help raise my spirits. Thanks for reading.
Old 06-07-2011, 17:23
Banned

44 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Dickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,375, Level: 12 Points: 7,375, Level: 12 Points: 7,375, Level: 12
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Opiate withdrawl.. How long until i feel normal again?

Well, it shouldn't be too long, I'd say. It could be anything from 7-14 days, I'd imagine before you start feeling considerably more human again. The thing is the recovery process is often a lot more complicated than simply getting through a few days of feeling not very well. It can be that life feels dull without drugs, and you need to find new interests and new social groups to move in who don't take drugs.

But, for the first step, just hold on a few more days, and you'll start to feel better, get your appetite back, your sex drive, and you'll start to sleep again, and will not feel hot and cold the whole time. Anyway, you know the whole withdrawal experience! Time will also speed up again, which is no bad thing, since time does seem to crawl when you are going through withdrawals.

It can be useful to talk about what's going on, and this site provides a great way of doing that, and also finding others who have gone through the same things. I went through a methadone withdrawal (which did take considerably longer) the best part of 3 years ago, and it was the best thing I ever did. I cannot guarantee you that life will be easy, but if you stay off, you will find happiness again I'm sure.

Life without drugs is not depressing, it just takes a bit of getting used to.

All best wishes and welcome to the forum.

Dickon
Old 06-07-2011, 17:44

Male from United States

Thanks for the post, it helps me stay positive. But another question is ive read that there is a differnce between and addict and someone who is dependent on the drug. Im by no means and addict, i mean yea im addicted but I always kept saying o ill quit tmrw blah blah and just kept putting it off. I just took the pills to avoid withdrawl.. like ive never gone great measurs to get a buzz.. See what Im saying? Ive read the road to recovery is much easier if ur just "dependent" as appose to and addict.
Old 06-07-2011, 19:09
Platinum Member & Advisor

Female from United Kingdom
missparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 14,963, Level: 17 Points: 14,963, Level: 17 Points: 14,963, Level: 17
Activity: 16.7% Activity: 16.7% Activity: 16.7%

I haven't mentioned how long the process of wd will take as Dickon has addressed it perfectly in the post above. What is it about being classed as an addict that you don't like, why are you so adamant that you're not one?

Yes, there is a difference between physical dependence and Psychological dependence. For example, someone taking opiates for pain over a long period of time (more than 6-8 weeks) will quite possible become physically dependent on them, and have to reduce the dose gradually. But once they've stopped taking them, they forget about it and usualy just get on with their lives.

Someone who is psychologically dependent on them might stop using them, but it doesn't end there, cos after quitting all they'll think about is taking that drug, the way it feels, and how life is just not the same now. The world may feel like a grey and depressing place?

I suppose you need to look at why you use, cos if it's not for pain or some other legitimate reason, then there must be a reason why you need to use drugs to get through day to day living? Why the need to get high, isn't it possible for you to find something else that gives you that buzz that's non addicting?

What was going on in your life a year to eighteen months ago, was there a situation that was difficult to face sober? Finding the reason you used in the first place will enable you enable you to stay clean now, cos understanding the "why" is half the problem for most addicts. It was for me.

But well done for getting this far, I know from personal experience how hard it is. Oh, and welcome to DF sweetheart.

Sparkles.
Old 06-07-2011, 19:45
Silver Member

47 y/o Female from USA - Ohio
dragon fly is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1

An addict is someone who is dependant on drugs. It is not easy to go through withdrawl; it is good to have someone to talk to while going through it. Swiy is not a bad person because he got addicted to pills. It does not mean that swiy is labled a junky for the rest of his life. Depression is part of withdrawl, and swiy is used to this drug that made him feel good, now he does not have it, and he feels bad. This will get better. Swim has gone through withdrawl from pills many times. Swim eventually started using heroin, and is now on methadone. Has been clean for 3 months. Swims cravings for the opiates was just too great. Swim would be clean for months and still crave the drug. Swiy may have some cravings, and it is good to talk about them when swiy does. They do get better in time, and swiy will once again feel happy. Really.

Remember swiy is not a bad person because he got addicted to pills. It happens to the best. Good luck and keep it up.
Old 06-07-2011, 20:16
Titanium Member

Female from United States
tigresssss is captain of the psychonauts.tigresssss is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 224, Level: 2 Points: 224, Level: 2 Points: 224, Level: 2

@swollcat - Your post resonated with swim, because she used to tell herself she wasn't an addict. Swim just screwed up and became physically dependent - that's different, right?

Swim's been on methadone for about 2 yrs, around 40-50mg/day average. Unlike many others, swim found the methadone high preferable to h, which swim messed around with here and there in swim's younger days. Swim doesn't want to nod out - swim wants to become super-swim, high functioning and happy, you know? Swim loved the feeling methadone gave her all day long - as opposed to a few hours from shorter-acting opiates.

So swim discovered the methadone in a very difficult time in her life - why isn't important; just a time of great loss and lots to do. It was perfect - swim could run run run all day long, never felt "impaired," just good.

Swim was surprised the first time her source dried up and she went through full blown w/d. Swim had no clue she was addicted...talk about denial.

Swim's not a typical junkie, at least not what swim thought of as a junkie. Swim's been around plenty o junkies in swim's day, and managed to just dabble in a little of everything for years. Maintained that weekends-only thing for a decade before she got hooked on methadone. Swim saw some awful shit back in the day, and managed to stay on the fringes. Swim told herself she'd never be like *them.* Swim's well-educated, professional, even pretty damn wealthy these days....but swim's just a junkie in nice clothes.

But here swim is. Third time off the methadone. Detoxing rapidly....swim's been better, but kratom and good nutrition is making this tolerable.

But swim knows better, now, than to think of herself as anything but a scheming junkie.

Swim's just lucky she no longer has a source, and nothing on the horizon but some beautiful greenery and one more detox. Swim's just a junkie without an outlet. Swim knows she needs to figure out what the hell went wrong with her and face some hard truths in order to stay that way - a fix always comes along eventually, you know?

Many different types of addicts, but addicts nonetheless. Swim's okay with that - it makes it easier to make a plan to manage from here on out.
Old 06-07-2011, 21:14
Silver Member

32 y/o Male from United States
RoK Krawler is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1

You can church it up any way you like it, But in the end, You are an addict. Not by choice maybe, But it happens.
I was too for many years and every handful i took was "my last". I finally had to nut up and stop swallowing them. IMO after all the pills etc it really wasn't that bad.
I never attempted to quit before and i was just done with them. Decided to quit and did, Never looked back. The only WD's i had was sweating like a whore in church and anxiety. I found activity's that made me sweat and take my mind off of the WD's and everyday is one day i feel that much better.
How long depends on how long you used and your body chemistry. IIRC the sweating for no reason stopped after a couple months and now its gone along with other effects.
I gave myself a week at home and started life again after that. IMO i feel strongly that it is more mental than physical. I would get pissed and block it out, It worked great. Some WD's you cant, But for the most part i was "normal" as normal gets these days.
My best friends were vicodin and morphine, But would take anything to substitute. They were good friends until i got a chance to take a step back and see where they took me.
All i can say is try and block it out and get another day done. Before you know it you will wonder what it was like. Giving a time line is hard, But if i had to guess, Id say after a couple months you will be free and clear of most.
Good luck and keep positive, The people around you play a big role in that. If you feel uncomfortable get away from the situation and catch your breath.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:07

Male from United States

Thank u all for the post great help.. But anyway the reason I wouldnt call myself an "addict" really is cuz for the past 6 months ive felt depressed cuz I have to take a pill to not feel like shit.. When I first took pills it was for fun a social thing like smoking pot or drinking.. where im from a small town theres not much to do and the group of friends I have just get stoned, faded or drunk to pass the time and have some fun.. No big deal u kno? But everything was so much more interesting and life wasent so boring when i took a couple viks.. Could get them easy so I figured why not im a kid.. Didnt realize I would get hooked on the shit. I was the captain of my hs football team got a scholarship and now live 2000 miles away from where I grew up.. I start skool in 6 wks and im freaking out cuz I cant screw this up. But latley I feel very optimistic about my future as when I was on pills I felt the opposite. Anyone have advice on activities or things I could do to completely forget all this? Thanks
Old 07-07-2011, 08:23
Silver Member

32 y/o Male from United States
RoK Krawler is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1

Play football, Work out anything to pass the time. After a few weeks and weather cleared up i started motocross again. You have too much to think about riding and thats the point.
Drinking alot of water and working out, Along with a good diet will be about the best activity. Will help keep you in shape instead of laying around.
Pain pills and sports go hand in hand. Ive been prescribed them for years. But after quitting them, Yeah i do have pain, But its from actually working and feeling muscles something that pills mask great. They also make you feel better and on top your game, Wait it out and you will see decisions are well better thought out.
There are not guarantees, But six weeks is a decent amount of time that you could only have minimal WD's like sweating or mild anxiety. You might luck out and have nothing after about 4-6 weeks.
But just keep the mind as occupied as you can, It will go away
Old 07-07-2011, 09:37

Male from United States

RoK Krawler,

Good im feeling better already looking forward to being clean.. Thanks for all the help evryone.

Last edited by Dickon; 07-07-2011 at 15:32. Reason: quoting the whole of the last post.
Old 11-07-2012, 21:42

Female from United States
lacrus is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1

hello, Ive been sober for a week from 30mg perks 4-6 a day snorting them. The withdrawls have gone, what hell, that was!! But Im going on 2 weeks and I still feel drowsy, lack of energy and i just dont feel like getting out of bed. I have 3 very very young chilren, which is the main reason i knew i had to stop. Me and my husband are both recovering and he seems to be dealing with it alot better then i am. I know alot is in my head cause im always thinking to myself that if i were on a perk id be able to do that. I dont want to feel this way. I mean it takes all the energy i have to just pick up my babies and put them in the car. I cant funtion and i still have some trembles in my hands and my legs are so weak that it takes alot for me to just walk up the stairs. And i wanted to know how much longer will it take to get back to the way i was before the abuse (but asking this question, i cant even remember what normal feels like). I cry all the time and i cant stop thinking about wanting to binge and just do a perk so i can take care of my kids! I know the worst part is over physically but mentally is killing me and the muscle aches are too! I know that i dont want to go back to it, but why do i keep thinking of doing them again? I was using for about 14 months and each month just got worse as my tolerance just kept building. I never wanted to try methadone or the suboxones, as i have family who are now addicted to them and the withdrawl off of them is ten times worse. I dont want to go to one addicition to another. Please someone tell me that it wont be much longer. My husband keeps telling me youll be back to normal within a week....but reading other posts and speaking with my cousin, it seems as tho it may take months!!! HELP i do not want to relapse just because i feel weak and have no motivation for anything!!!!
Thanks Lacrus
Old 12-07-2012, 01:17
Silver Member

Male from United States
SlaveKnowMore is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 127, Level: 1 Points: 127, Level: 1 Points: 127, Level: 1

Greetings Lacrus and welcome to the forums. This is an old thread but i enjoyed some of the comments and thought I'd respond. Truth is that most people who do relapse, do so cause they're tired of feeling like crap and chase that elusive fix that always works in the short term but turns the long term into a depressing fuck story. That's how it was for me and my 10 year opiate addiction. I've got a little less than 2 months clen, more or less, and I can tell you this recovery is a long road. Most of the initial kick stuff is gone but my energy levels are still low. I stay active but I have to constantly push myself cause the leg aches and lethargy persist. I happy as hell to be free of them but yes, it takes a while for a mind and body to recover from opiate addiction. Hang in there cause it beats the hell out of the alternative which is to keep using. Why not start a new thread so you can get more personal attention? Good luck.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:53
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from United States
Aminatrix is on the way upAminatrix is on the way upAminatrix is on the way upAminatrix is on the way up
Points: 559, Level: 3 Points: 559, Level: 3 Points: 559, Level: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swollcat View Post
Hi, so I have recently decided to kick the habit of poppin pills. Its been 4 days. I was using vicodin, percs, or tramadol for about 1yr-1.5yr on a daily basis. Not a high level of abuse but I defiantly abused them, the most Ive ever taken was about 60mg of vicodin in one day. The withdrawls aren't the worst thing ive been through but is pretty bad, Im starting to feel a lot better now tho. My question is simple, how long and will I ever feel normal again? Like not depressed and feel like a junky? lol may sound stupid to some but right now I feel like Ill never live a normal life again.. So if someone who has been through a similar experience plz share. It would help raise my spirits. Thanks for reading.
From a dear cultured petri dish of mine: (they spell out words, it's awesome):

Quote:
We believe you will start to feel like yourself within 5-7 days, and that's good

There is something called post acute withdrawal symptoms (PAWS), post acute as in after the initial withdrawl. This can last for up to a year or more, or possibly less, your situation sounds like it will be about 4 - 6 months before you are 100% back to your regular self, with your brain making your own endorphins.

If you need help ever you can come here and we will help you with what ever you need / are feeling.
Wow, that's a lotta bacteria!

Share this on:

Tags
opiate addiction, opiate withdrawal, opioid, percocet, vicodin, withdrawals