Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Drug Addiction & Recovery Support for coping with addiction and kicking the habit.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:16

22 y/o Male from Belgium
Chriz is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Very shitty brain zaps symptom

Hello, I need to ask a question. My friend has gotten addicted to several drugs in a short amount of time, and now he has a terrible symptom, which doesn't seem to go away even when he uses. Could anyone maybe tell him what's going on?

A friend of mine had been only smoking weed for a good 2 years, bettering his life greatly. But since he and his ex-girlfriend broke up he has all lost control of hard drug usage again. In 3 months time he has first gotten addicted to GBL for a month, after that he quit that and started drinking alcohol and poppy pod tea daily. After a few weeks of no GBL usage he also bought a bottle of Phenibut capsules and used about 1000-1500mg every 2-4 days.

My friend continued to drink several glasses of whisky-cola, beer, and jenever every day for the next months. He also drank poppy tea every day, then after a few weeks twice a day, also upping the dosage. My friend now needs to eat 25 golfball sized fresh pods to feel high, he also smoked 2.5 grams of heroin during this time but he didn't even get high all that much although it was tan powder heroin and good quality, he could tell by the taste and the way it melted. Also 1mg of fentanyl was used over 2 days and this did get him high but only very short.

Now recently my friend has acquired 100 pills of 10mg valium and 6 LSD tabs. He tried a combo of poppy tea, 20mg valium and 1 LSD tab and this was the best trip he had ever had. Due to his addictive nature, he continued to use LSD for 3 days consecutively, upping the dosage (even plugging one tab). Then he ran out, and he didn't even trip anymore after the first day. Now he regrets it.

But since a while (my friend doesn't remember exactly when it started, maybe a week or 2 weeks ago) he has a very shitty symptom. It's a brain zap symptom, similar to when you suffer from serotonine depletion from overusage of MDMA, or from SSRI withdrawal. My friend massively overused MDMA in the past and so knows this feeling perfectly, but now he has it again. And he didn't use any MDMA or SSRI's. My friend is really worried because the zaps are even worse than when he was on so much MDMA and they seem to be getting worse every day.

Could anyone please tell me what might be the cause of this so I can tell my friend how he can make this terrible feeling go away?

PS: My friend knows that his drug usage lately is VERY UNRESPONSIBLE, and he DOES NOT ADVICE ANYONE TO USE LIKE THIS. But he suffers from some terrible problems lately and is known to have bad addiction tendencies.

Chriz added 15 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

Oh yeah and ofcourse during this time he also smoked 1-2 grams of high quality weed every day, although he doubts this has anything to do with it. But he forgot to add it.

Last edited by Chriz; 04-07-2011 at 08:16. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-07-2011, 22:42

22 y/o Male from Belgium
Chriz is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1
Re: Very shitty brain zaps symptom

Well Apparentely it has something to do with opiate withdrawal lol.
Old 27-07-2011, 22:46
Silver Member

Male from United States
double-d is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz View Post
Well Apparentely it has something to do with opiate withdrawal lol.
LOL my thoughts exactily he is suffering from opoiod withdrawl especially from the fentanyl that one has some mean withdrawl symptoms and the zapping in the brain and the muscle twitches get bad bad bad befor they start receeding.
Taking small amounts of opioids will help ease the symptoms but should be tappered down weekly and only taken when you feel the symptoms coming on. Desolving it under your tounge will get it working faster to ease the zapping and muscle twitches.
Useing fentanyl will build up your tollarence to most all opioids including herion almost instantly this is why u felt almost nothing when doing the H.
That is what makes fentanyl so dangerous and deadly to addicts it builds your tolerance so fast they end up overdoseing by taking to much fentanyl chasing the high they felt the very first time you did the fentanyl.
The only way you will successfully do this and enjoy the buzz of low dose fentanyl is if you waite 7-10 days between doseing.
Good luck bro.
Old 28-07-2011, 18:48
Titanium Member

36 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Oneiromancer probably knows what they are talking about.Oneiromancer probably knows what they are talking about.Oneiromancer probably knows what they are talking about.Oneiromancer probably knows what they are talking about.Oneiromancer probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 1,028, Level: 4 Points: 1,028, Level: 4 Points: 1,028, Level: 4

(all of this post is hypothetical)

Hi Chrisz

Does your friend have any updates for us on this ?

I agree that during opiate withdrawal (which your friend was most likely suffering from) that you will get a lot of shitty symptoms.

I am slightly concerned in the way you describe this particular one , it may be nothing , but I thought I should chime in just in case.

You have already mentioned what first popped into my head when you mentioned "brain zaps" - by the way of you explaining previous experience of serotonin withdrawal. I used to get these feelings in the days of my SSRI useage and when i foolishly ( i was young and inexperienced) let my scri run out. And there would be those dizzy , spells , and horrible brain zaps , (some describe as like almost an electric shock type feeling)

I also get these withdrawal symptoms after taking too much tramadol (a serotonin releasing agent [SRA]- amongst several other pharmacological actions) and then ceasing use abrubtly.

What i mainly wanted to point out to your friend is best illustrated by having a quick look at this quote first of all :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz View Post

Now recently my friend has acquired 100 pills of 10mg valium and
6 LSD tabs
. He tried a combo of poppy tea, 20mg valium and 1 LSD tab and this was the best trip he had ever had. Due to his addictive nature, he continued to use LSD for 3 days consecutively, upping the dosage (even plugging one tab). Then he ran out, and he didn't even trip anymore after the first day. Now he regrets it.

But since a while (my friend doesn't remember exactly when it started, maybe a week or 2 weeks ago) he has a very shitty symptom. It's a brain zap symptom, similar to when you suffer from serotonine depletion from overusage of MDMA, or from SSRI withdrawal. My friend massively overused MDMA in the past and so knows this feeling perfectly, but now he has it again. And he didn't use any MDMA or SSRI's. My friend is really worried because the zaps are even worse than when he was on so much MDMA and they seem to be getting worse every day.
Please note what I have put in bold and underlined.

These are in my opinion significant factors.

LSD is a 5HT-2a Agonist (if i have my information correct - if not can someone please correct me)

In other words it is a serotonergic agent ...

Perhaps your friend's recent use of LSD, combined with the fact that he has had previously excessively useage of MDMA, has resulted in the symptoms resembling serotonin withdrawal?

Just a thought really

Is your friend still experiencing these brain zaps? It's been a while now and I would like to know.

If this is the case then further examination and explanation may be required from a physician. Rather than us on here just saying (its just opiate withdrawal).

Im just saying this in the light of harm reduction.

Your friend should probably be careful and avoid all serotonergic agents until these brain zaps have gone - and have preferably been accounted for
and whose origins have been explained beyond any reasonable doubt.

Maybe its best to avoid things like MDMA , TRAMADOL , SSRI's AND LSD in the meantime..

..I know that several days have elapsed since your friends initila post

And what I have said may be over kill - but i just thought I would offer some advice..

I hope it has helped in some way

Please could you let us know how things currently are with your friend?

Take care man

Best wishes

O
Old 28-03-2012, 10:29
Silver Member

35 y/o Male from United Kingdom
knightsmith is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 317, Level: 2 Points: 317, Level: 2 Points: 317, Level: 2
Activity: 8.8% Activity: 8.8% Activity: 8.8%

i've had those in the past, they bloody hurt like hell.
Old 28-03-2012, 13:40
Titanium Member

Male from United Kingdom
Bad Rabbits is on the way upBad Rabbits is on the way upBad Rabbits is on the way upBad Rabbits is on the way up
Points: 455, Level: 3 Points: 455, Level: 3 Points: 455, Level: 3
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

I had major brain zaps for quite a while one time.

They happened pretty much every day, but worst of all they would happen when I was trying to sleep - which of course stopped me dozing off.

Yes, they are associated with Serotonin depletion, but I still see no reason why I had them continually for so long. Maybe there is something else to them? I was not in withdrawal either.

They were happening to frequently, I thought I had permanently damaged something, and I thought they would never go away.

...Anyway, today I can tell you that they are so rare. When I get them, its like a bit of nostalgia - and it makes me happy in a way. If I get one now, it reminds me of the relief I am blessed with, knowing they're not occurring daily.

I can't tell you not to worry about them, because its a seriously weird feeling - I know, of course you will worry... But I can't help feeling that stress, also contributes to their frequency (No evidence for this, just based on my personal experience).

Just know that they will gradually calm down. Cutting down substance use, in my experience will help this happen quicker.

Drink lots of water, and eat well. Whether this helps, I don't know - but it certainly helped me worry less, knowing that I was doing something to aid my body.

Bad Rabbits added 3 Minutes and 38 Seconds later...

PS. Just search 'Brain Zaps' in the Search bar, to see other people with the issue. Its fairly common.

I considered going to a Doctor for so long, but in the end I concluded there was so little known about the symptoms, that help would be minimal. If anyone wants to question my decision further, not to see a Doctor, please do and I will explain - I don't want to come across as reckless.

Last edited by Bad Rabbits; 28-03-2012 at 13:40. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-04-2012, 20:53
Silver Member

I know you guys aren't doctors, but these brain zaps, I don't seem to have them now, but are they something I should be concerned about if they come back? again I know you're not doctors, I won't take action as a result of any advice given, i'm curious though.
Old 05-04-2012, 22:03
TheBigBadWolf TheBigBadWolf is nu online
..and your eyebrows

48 y/o Male from Germany
TheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,962, Level: 13 Points: 7,962, Level: 13 Points: 7,962, Level: 13
Activity: 38.7% Activity: 38.7% Activity: 38.7%

You know,
I really am no doctor, but I bet you are concerned enough to ask us for advice,- you know the answer: If this affects you negatively, you should seek medical attention, brain zaps,- what I feel is something disturbing in this word...

Go get it checked out, it could be nothing, it might be something serious that has no time to wait to become diagnosed.

If you are bothered enough to ask us, it is serious.

TBBW
Old 05-04-2012, 22:09
Silver Member

I haven't had them lately, was just wondering. I don't want anything else on record that could screw up my methadone.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:57
Silver Member

Male from Canada
usually0 is captain of the psychonauts.usually0 is captain of the psychonauts.usually0 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 383, Level: 3 Points: 383, Level: 3 Points: 383, Level: 3
Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7%

Hey guys, what are brain zaps? Quite a while ago, I used to get this electric "ZZZZ" like a second long right before I went to sleep, but it happened once in awhile, and actually hasn't happened for awhile, but is this what brain zaps are? They weren't that bothersome, just annoying and weird, and so I think it's related to my drug use.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:22
Titanium Member

Male from United States
DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.
Points: 1,174, Level: 5 Points: 1,174, Level: 5 Points: 1,174, Level: 5
Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8%

T
Quote:
Originally Posted by usually0 View Post
Hey guys, what are brain zaps? Quite a while ago, I used to get this electric "ZZZZ" like a second long right before I went to sleep, but it happened once in awhile, and actually hasn't happened for awhile, but is this what brain zaps are? They weren't that bothersome, just annoying and weird, and so I think it's related to my drug use.
Its an incredibly annoying and irritable symptom. There are zapping noises that can be heard and then there is this vertigo sensation when you move your head, its so quick that it doesn't really affect what you are doing but it is very annoying.

I've also found that I notice my heart beat (palpitations) when this sensation occurs.

DXM in clinical doses ( 30 mg) relieves this symptom and omega 3s in high doses can reduce the intensity. Though DXM won't cure it will temporarily provide relief when it becomes too much.

It is definitely related to serotonin and 5-HT2a seems to be a big culprit as this is where the anti-depressant paxil (paroxetine) works on the most and is the hardest ssri to withdrawal from.

The only cure right now is time, time for the mind to balance out.

In the OPs instance
I think the culprit of the brain zaps is LSD (which interacts with serotonin) and/or MDMA, I really doubt opioids are to blame.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Thanks for the info, in depth but simple to understand

Share this on:

Tags
alcohol, lsd, opiates, phenibut, serotonin, valium