Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums > Antidepressants
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 25-06-2011, 13:43

47 y/o Female from United Kingdom
missmarple is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
High Histamine and Very High Anxiety - ADs Make Me Worse

Hello all. I have been diagnosed with high histamine due to a lack of DAO enzyme. This manifests in flushing, multiple food intolerances, angioedema, you name it.

I also have severe OCD and it has become so bad I am trying anti depressants. I have tried three different SSRIs - duloxetine, escitalopram and sertraline and all have made the anxiety worse, even after initial side effects go. What happens is - i get used to the dose and start getting high anxiety. Then I increase the dose, am OK for a few days and the anxiety begins again. So it is not a start up issue.

Has anyone got any ideas for an anti anxiety drug or AD? I am trying the trycyclics next as I know they can have anti histamine qualities?

Are there any other types of anxiety drug that lower or do not affect histamine? I tried diazepam and that made me worse and Seroquel sent me manic!

Thank you....
Old 25-06-2011, 15:22
Titanium Member

Male from United Kingdom
timkanu is captain of the psychonauts.timkanu is captain of the psychonauts.timkanu is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 400, Level: 3 Points: 400, Level: 3 Points: 400, Level: 3
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Re: High Histamine and Very High Anxiety - ADs Make Me Worse

High histamine levels (histadelia) in its self is known to cause anxiety, phobias, and many other symptoms, such as depression, and OCD.

What is your doctor doing to try to lower your histamine levels ?

I think the main route of the problem needs medicating before you think about attempting to fix the side effects of high histamine.

This is probably why the drugs you have tried already do not work for you, because you are not treating the underlying cause of your anxiety. Which is most probably the histadelia.
Old 25-06-2011, 15:27
Banned

26 y/o Male from United States
Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.

It is somewhat surprising that Seroquel made you manic, as that is probably the first drug my panda would suggest for you as it is very strong in blocking histamine.

You might want to look into Mirtazapine or Mianserin, they are both heavily anti-histaminergic. These are tetracyclic anti-depressants. Tricylics are similar, with anti-histamine but also heavy anti-cholinergic effects and serotonin/nor-epinephrine reuptake properties, but tetracyclics block adrenal receptors and certain serotonin receptors to reduce anxiety.

You may want to look into supplementing with a heavy amount of Vitamin C, 500 to 1000 milligrams, as it acts as a natural anti-histamine and reduces histamine throughout the body by as much as 30 to 40%.
Old 25-06-2011, 15:31
Titanium Member

Male from United Kingdom
timkanu is captain of the psychonauts.timkanu is captain of the psychonauts.timkanu is captain of the psychonauts.

Excessive histamine results because of the inadequate methylation in liver detoxification. So can i suggest you look into the supplement SAM-e. It may prove to be very beneficial as it is a methyl donor and helps greatly in methylation in the liver.
Old 25-06-2011, 17:50
Silver Member

33 y/o Male from United States
TooFastTim is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 142, Level: 1 Points: 142, Level: 1 Points: 142, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

Hydroxizine is a pretty well known anti-histamine used in the treatment of anxiety disorders. Maybe you have already tried it and I'm stating the obvious but in concert with a benzo and mirtazapine really seemed To do the trick. Of course you should always talk to a doctor and fallow his instruction. Good luck!

Last edited by TooFastTim; 25-06-2011 at 17:51. Reason: poor spelling
Old 25-06-2011, 23:04

Thank you all so much! I have never heard of tetracyclics so must look into them.

I already take aheavy duty antihistamines - ketotifen and fexofenadine as well as prednisilone.

Doea anyone know if SSRIs raise histamine because it sure feels like it!

Any idea on any anti anxiety drugs that lower or don't affect histamine? I am currently trying Buspar...

Thank you again.
Old 25-06-2011, 23:17
Titanium Member

Male from United Kingdom

SSRI are what normaly works well for people with histadelia.

How long did you take them for ? Need to take for at least 2 weeks before you can judge wheather what you are feeling is histamine or the side effects that SSRIs give. And probably 4 weeks for any noticeable reduction in anxiety. At first anxiety will seem to be worse for most people. But with SSRIs you normally just have to grit your teeth for the first couple of weeks.
Old 26-06-2011, 00:49

Why don't the darn doctors know ANYTHING about histadelia? My GP just denies I have it. I had to be diagnosed by a German lab. I have flushing, tacycardia, dizziness and can only eat a few foods....wish it would just go away as it is ruining my life.

Rant over sorry.

I have been taking the current SSSRI for four weeks - same pattern, relief from anxiety for four days after increasing the dose and then I crash again.
Old 26-06-2011, 08:09
Banned

26 y/o Male from United States
Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmarple View Post
Why don't the darn doctors know ANYTHING about histadelia? My GP just denies I have it. I had to be diagnosed by a German lab. I have flushing, tacycardia, dizziness and can only eat a few foods....wish it would just go away as it is ruining my life.

Rant over sorry.

I have been taking the current SSSRI for four weeks - same pattern, relief from anxiety for four days after increasing the dose and then I crash again.
They don't know about it because it's a very rare and a relatively newly discovered condition. \

Share this on:

Tags
antihistamine, anxiety, drugs, drugs forum, flushing, histamine, histamines, seroquel, ssri, ssris

» New Threads
Methamphetamine and Sex
Last post by choppercharlie
274 Replies, 171,093 Views
How to purify...
Last post by ReaperCOBHC
0 Replies, 1 Views
Dxm nausa free dosing methode robo...
Last post by hunter19877
1 Replies, 37 Views
Why is it so hard to find people...
Last post by enhu