Opiates & Opioids Opiates & Opioids.

Old 21-06-2011, 08:05

37 y/o Female from United States
rainey27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Best way to get a new dr to prescribe opiates for legitimate pain

Ok so here's the deal:

I have a very close friend who has dealt with some pretty bad issues with chronic back pain for many years now. She has been on and off various opiates, including tramadol and hydrocodone mainly. Her dr. kept trying to make her go to physical therapy which only seemed to make her problem worse. He refused to do any tests that might reveal what is going on, despite the fact that her mother is on disability due to various hereditary back conditions that affect her hips and cause nerve damage as well. To make a long story short- my friend became addicted to opiates, but realized this was a problem and managed to detox on her own last month. Now she realizes how bad her back pain still is, and how much it has spread to her right hip (which was hurting even when she was high on drugs but she didn't care). So- she is going to meet w/ a new dr on Thurs. He is older, 72 (her other dr was young) and he is also a DO as opposed to an MD. My friend needs something to help w/ her pain while she undergoes (hopefully) further testing to find the actual problem. She will accept tramadol if that is all he'll give, although she would prefer norco. Neither of these were her doc, which was high doses of oxy and occasionally heroin (snorted). Her question is: How should she approach this w/o sounding like a drug seeker, and how likely is an older dr that is a DO to prescribe something for pain on a first visit? She is in so much pain and doesn't want to get turned down for fear she'll risk going back to her dealer and fall back into old habits. She has the fortitude to respect a prescription for her pain at this point, and has absolutely NO desire to become an opiate slave again...but right now she's wide awake because the pain is more than she can bear...and she knows there's a good chance she has inherited problems that will lead to more pain in her future. She just wants to be able to function and live like a semi-normal human being. Any advice/experiences/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much...

Post Quality Evaluations:
please use paragraphs and line breaks
Old 23-06-2011, 03:29
Mercury Member

45 y/o Male from United States
3dfunk should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Re: Best way to get a new dr to prescribe opiates for legitimate pain

First and foremost, you have to be honest about the situation. It seems like finding docs willing to prescribe o's is very hit and miss. Some realize that people have legit pain and are willing to help their patients. Others seem to look at you with raised eyebrows. What you get seems to be completely random. Either way, you can't give your doc any reason at all to doubt where you are or what you are dealing with. Honesty really is the best policy.

good advice here...both with the hit and miss, and honesty
Old 23-06-2011, 04:52
Silver Member

47 y/o Female from USA - Ohio
dragon fly is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1

swim has to agree, honesty is the best policy. swim has dealt with alot of drs in her past. she was in a few bad car accidents and had like 60 kidney stones. when swim realized she was addicted to the opiates, the dr cut her off and left her high and dry. swim ended up getting heroin and that was a long painful road.

but just a warning when it comes to going to drs to get pain meds; swim has a very close friend that got charged with a felony for getting prescriptions for narcotics from more than one doc at around the same time. swims friend had no idea she was breaking the law, and now cant find a job due to having a felony. just be honest and only get prescriptions from one dr at a time. Swim would suggest asking around, and find a doc through somone swiy knows or works with.

good luck
Old 23-06-2011, 06:50
Titanium Member

Male from USA - New York
TripStick probably knows what they are talking about.TripStick probably knows what they are talking about.TripStick probably knows what they are talking about.TripStick probably knows what they are talking about.TripStick probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 631, Level: 3 Points: 631, Level: 3 Points: 631, Level: 3
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%

Out of curiosity, if SWIY has had chronic back pain for years why is she just now trying to figure out what the cause of the pain is?

I was in a similar situation not too long ago and contiueing to use opiates after the decision to stay clean has been made is never a good idea. Even if the doses are small, using again to mitigate the pain usually leads to heavier contiued use later on. My advice would be to take over the counter pain relievers to dull the pain enough until SWIY can find out what the actual problem is. I know OTC meds wont provide much in the form of relief but if there is an option that allows SWIY to stay opiate free it should be explored before she starts using again.
Old 24-06-2011, 16:50

37 y/o Female from United States
rainey27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1

Been trying to find out for years...the dr. she has continued to see only ordered round after round of physical therapy w/ no tests...never had an mri...and even after telling her dr. that her mother in on disability due to several spine and nerve issues (most of which are congenital) and her mother also had these conditions for years before discovering what was really wrong. My friend is willing to try anything to help w/ the pain. The new dr. was old and kind of crazy, but he's a DO so he did some manipulation and said he'd probably order an mri down the road. But he didn't give her anything for pain, although she didn't ask b/c she was wanting to see how this adjustment/manipulation he did works for her. She hurts pretty bad this morning but is trying to just deal w/ it. She also can't take any NSAIDS ever again due to having had gastric bypass surgery 3 yrs ago...so the only option of OTC is tylenol which as you can probably guess does nothing. On the bright side, she lost 140 lbs from the bypass and is currently maintaining her weight at 145-150 lbs for the past 2 yrs .
Old 28-06-2011, 23:26
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

40 y/o Female from United States
MasteroftheUnderworld is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1

The more records your friend can bring to the table the better. Doctors won't give you anything for pain unless you at the very least have an x-ray or the area or areas in question. MRI would be a lot better though. And on the plus side, with an MRI, 90%+ of them show some kind of problem somewhere on the spine.

If the pain gets so bad, just go to the ER. They'd always give me shot or two or three) of Demerol meperidine/pethidine) 50mg injections/each. Depends how "sympathetic" you are to the people treating you I guess.
Old 28-06-2011, 23:47
Silver Member

38 y/o Male from United States
JJ1234 is captain of the psychonauts.JJ1234 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 286, Level: 2 Points: 286, Level: 2 Points: 286, Level: 2

Be honest as others said. If your doctor tries to give you any NSAIDs or BS like that tell them you have tied over the counter ones and they just don't work. Make sure your doctor understands the dangers of NSAIDs for long term pain relief. If your doctor persist to be stubborn go see another. It took me changing doctors three times to find one who knew what the hell he was doing.

Search your local yellow pages or do a web search for pain management clinics. Don't be afraid to do physical therapy as long as long as they are supplying you with adequate pain relief.

Don't ask for more drugs right away! My doctor started me with 60 Lorocet per month for back pain at it's worst a 7.5 out of 10. One year to the date of my first appointment he moved it up to 90 per month. Then I asked him for Norco because I told him I was concerned with the Acetaminophen having adverse effects on my liver. He was happy to here my concern and had no problem with it.

Don't tell your doctor your pain level is 9 or 10(on a scale from 1-10)unless it really is! If your pain level is that high you should seek emergency treatment.

So in a short, find the right doctor. There are still many of them left that will have no problem supplying you with Hydrocodone for long term pain management. It is still schedule III in the US. Getting anything with Oxycodone in it may be harder.

Best of luck to you.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:08

58 y/o Female from Earth
ResponsibleUse should review received reputation comments.
Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1

I have serious problems with pain and I have tried many different dr's and none of them will give you any pain medication..... It is most likely due to the fact that I am a man, in their twenties, and I live in a conservative area.

I would be so happy actually I would pray to god thanking him to snuff out all of the dr's children while they watched and suffered.

This country is so stupid. I can tell you that the narco policy of this nation is creating violent criminals from not managing pain correctly. Out of all my boys theres three of us that started the cake game just because they started throwing boy for pain and got caugtht. After your in the life your in though.

Every time i hear on the news some community member gets stabbed, shot, or robbed from junkies or crossfire I thank god, ahlla, and budha.

They created the problem and they can pay for it.

The tone of this post is so completely toxic... no matter how angry you are, I find it inappropriate to be praying for the death of Dr.'s children just because you can't get some pain meds.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:21
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

40 y/o Female from United States
MasteroftheUnderworld is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1

@ResponsibleUse: gender/age SHOULD NOT MATTER. If there's anything about you that sets off the alarms, they WILL pick up on it as is clearly the case. Now sometimes this isn't always true. For example I know of two people who tested positive for benzodiazepines and in both cases the doctors wouldn't retest even though the BZD in question was in fact just phenazepam (aka LEGAL). Still,by the sound of your words, it really does seem that you are too involved in the "cake game" (whatever that is) and it is the doctors' responsibility to make sure the pills he/she prescribes you just won't end up being sold on the streets. I know I wouldn't want that.

Share this on:

Tags
drug, drug test, drugs, drugs-forum, narcotics, opiate, opiates, oregon, pain management, pain medicine, pain meds, prescription drugs, prescription opiates