Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 08:07

Male from United States
undisclosed is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Do they typically drug test before prescribing ADHD medication?

A friend of mine recently talked to a GP about their ADHD for the first time and was referred to a psychologist for diagnosis. They now have a follow-up appointment with the GP for treatment, and want to know if they will be drug tested. They are an occasional user of cannabis and have also self-medicated with adderall (they know this is a bad idea and do not like doing it, which is why they decided to get tested themselves). The follow-up appointment is scheduled for tomorrow, but could be postponed long enough to ensure a clean system if needed. Thanks for any help!
Old 07-06-2011, 08:40
Palladium Member

33 y/o Male from United States
trdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,536, Level: 12 Points: 7,536, Level: 12 Points: 7,536, Level: 12
Activity: 3.4% Activity: 3.4% Activity: 3.4%
Re: Do they typically drug test before prescribing ADHD medication?

I am not guranteeing anything, but...........

Chances are depending on state and if it's state or private you will or won't.

I have my case worker appointment soon, but so far all they have done is asked me to bring in my current perscribed medications. I think it depends on why you are going (as in if it's required by law ect...) to the psych in the first place. You most likely won't be tested, unless you have admited to doing drugs in the past and even then I just don't see it (again unless you are going because of the law).

Even if they do test you (one last time, unless it's required by law) if you are not telling them about the self medication the worst that happens is they don't give you any medications that have been known to be addictive and you get something else. I really don't see them calling the cops about it either. Most places unless you admit selling medications they prescribe will only drop you as a patient if you have an incorrect pill count and no prescribed medication in your system.

I could be wrong though, but if it was me, I would go by my reply to you. Sorry if I repeated myself or rambled, I had an odd day and I am tired.
Old 07-06-2011, 15:44
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from United States
Impure157 is on the way upImpure157 is on the way upImpure157 is on the way up
Points: 323, Level: 2 Points: 323, Level: 2 Points: 323, Level: 2
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%

While I don't know about typical situations my friend SWIM told me he recently went to a new psychiatrist for his depression and after briefly mentioning a lack of concentration during his college classes he was 'diagnosed' with ADD and prescribed 5mg dextroamphetamine 3 times a day no other questions asked.
Old 08-06-2011, 17:49
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from United States
fizzle is on the way upfizzle is on the way upfizzle is on the way up
Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

I think it is very situational. However, for the most part you will not be drug tested. Hell, my dog admitted to his psych that he used cannabis, MDMA, LSD, cocaine, opiates, and benzos (though not addicted to any drug in particular) and still got prescribed 30mg of Adderall XR (mixed amphetamine salts), though my dog was threatened with being tested, which made him stop using any illegal shit. Granted he had a 4 year relationship with the doc before this happened, but that is a risky thing for a doctor to do. Being honest actually turned out to help him get the right treatment. If you lie, you really are only hurting yourself.

Impure157, you seem to be in a very unique situation. It is very rare for a doc to diagnose someone with ADHD, let alone prescribe a stimulant, on the very first visit. In fact, that could potentially be considered malpractice. ADHD takes a lot of time and money to accurately/appropriately diagnose.

In any case, be prepared for the worst case. Is it worth it to be worried 24/7 about being drug tested? My dog personally could not handle that, which is why he quit using all illegal drugs to avoid any chance of not being prescribed a schedule II drug. While it turned out he never was tested, it was worth it to stop using for that time period. You also might find that you no longer feel the need to use/abuse any drugs you used to.

But seeing as you have already been prescribed the meds, I would be surprised if you needed to pee in a cup.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:37
Silver Member

Male from United States
Urgez is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzle View Post
Impure157, you seem to be in a very unique situation. It is very rare for a doc to diagnose someone with ADHD, let alone prescribe a stimulant, on the very first visit. In fact, that could potentially be considered malpractice. ADHD takes a lot of time and money to accurately/appropriately diagnose.
Not true at ALL. i was diagnosed and prescribed within 1 visit, and also had my dosage doubled within a month. additionally, there IS no accurate diagnosis of ADHD. i was diagnosed two weeks ago by the children's diagnostic criteria. he would just skip portions that didn't pertain lol.

as much as you'd hate to believe it, these drugs are a physicians dream in terms of income. there's no effective diagnostic test for it, so you can prescribe away without cause for fraud. gg shire. gg.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:40
Platinum Member & Advisor

Female from United Kingdom
missparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 15,418, Level: 18 Points: 15,418, Level: 18 Points: 15,418, Level: 18
Activity: 7.5% Activity: 7.5% Activity: 7.5%

Urgez...
So what you're saying is your doc skipped the parts that didn't cover your condition, to make your symptoms fit the illness? Why would he do this, unless you had specifically gone in telling him you knew you had this condition, and wanted ADHD drugs for it? Kinda like You..."Doc, I know I have ADHD" Doc..."But you don't fit the criteria here or here, but hell, you know you have it, so lets just jump to the next part, see if you fit it there?"

I can't think of any other reason he would do this? Are you qualified to diagnose yourself? I really do believe that to diagnose this illness, which remember, cannot be definitively diagnosed, takes more than one visit, it's not just about ticking off boxes on some scaled chart?

Sparkles.
Old 11-06-2011, 15:52
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

I think he meant they skipped over the parts of the children's diagnostic criteria that didn't apply to his life, not that he "failed" at, if that makes sense?

Like, since it's the children's criteria, there might be questions like, "is your child more defiant towards you when xyz" or just other things that might pertain to being a child.

However, I don't know why the doctor didn't use the Adult ADHD test/questionnaire. *shrug*

~Kailey
Old 11-06-2011, 16:27
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Female from United States
ColdSolace is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1

It has been my experience in the past that state funded offices such as crossroads and new river in nc typically do drug test if not initially ...they will in order for the patient to continue receiving their script of a controlled substance. Esp if the patient has a history of drug use. Most state funded places are just that funded by the state and the patients recieve treatment for little or no cost out of pocket therefore the state enforces certain guideline for doctors to follow upon prescribing these drugs. However someone going to a psychologist with a private practice is much less likely to be drug tested before being prescribed narcotics . Hope this helps
Old 18-06-2011, 19:18
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from United States
pharmycologist is learning how to become a psychonaut.

SWIM was never drug tested when he first saw his psych. He simply sat down and said listen, anxiety is bothering me as always, and truly believe SWIM has ADHD. Note this was also an addictionologist. He asked SWIM the general questions in which SWIM replied yes, as they were all true except one. Next thing out of shrink's mouth was well you sir have ADHD! Any chest problems? Ok, here is a script I think will help SWIM out.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:02
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from United States
Impure157 is on the way upImpure157 is on the way upImpure157 is on the way up
Points: 323, Level: 2 Points: 323, Level: 2 Points: 323, Level: 2
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzle View Post
If this is true then this doctor must be the worst ever, my very next appointment after being prescribed Dexedrine 5mg 3xday for a month while claiming how well the "medicine" helped I happened to say, "It is still a great help but theres a noticeable difference in how effective it is now compared to the start."
I said that one sentence and she didn't hesitate to hand me a prescription for another 2 15mg XR a day bringing the total up to 45mg a day. Pure dextro-amphetamine. Just glad I have enough restraint not to totally abuse it, definitely seems like poor judgement since not everyone could do the same.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:03

Male from United States
forest420 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1

if u say u have depression AND add/adhd u will most likely get some kind of good amphetamines. SWIM KNOWS FROM EXP
Old 12-09-2011, 17:28
Silver Member

Male from United States
Urgez is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

^ or welbutrin gg lol
Old 19-09-2011, 16:57
Titanium Member

27 y/o Male from United States
Benzeneringz really adds to the discussion.Benzeneringz really adds to the discussion.Benzeneringz really adds to the discussion.Benzeneringz really adds to the discussion.Benzeneringz really adds to the discussion.Benzeneringz really adds to the discussion.
Points: 910, Level: 4 Points: 910, Level: 4 Points: 910, Level: 4

On the issue of being diagnosed with ADD/ADHD after a single visit to a GP, it will depend on the practitioner. In some cases, a pediatrician will issue an ADD/ADHD diagnosis. In my case, it took a single visit to my pediatrician after complaining to my parents about my ability to focus. All it took was a bit of acting restless: I bounced my leg up and down impatiently in his office. He barely said "hello" before diagnosing me with ADHD, and promptly prescribed 20 milligrams of Adderall for the morning and 20 milligrams of Ritalin for after school. This continued for several years, and I never had a formal test done to confirm the diagnosis. Once you have a diagnosis of ADD/ADHD and a history of being treated with stimulants, it seems like you are set for life. It's been more than 8 years and I've gone through several GP's and one psychiatrist (who was quick to give me what I wanted without a second thought). There was one particular GP who was a hard-ass about prescribing me Adderall. He threatened drug tests but never had one done. Working in the mental health field, I've gotten a chance to notice the differences between GP's or psychiatrists and their prescribing habits. I know one psychiatrist who does indeed test for therapeutic levels of amphetamine metabolites in those that are treated with Adderall or Vyvanse.

It seems wrong to me, since a lot of successful people smoke the occasional joint, or forget to take their medication every day. The invasion of privacy and the issue of who pays for the test put it in a very grey area. But it can happen.

Share this on: