Notices

Old 19-05-2011, 08:31
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from United States
Eytukaan is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Vyvanse disaster?

Well my friend SWIM is prescribed 60 mg of vyvanse for ADHD, and unfortunately SWIM has been recently diagnosed with social anxiety disorder and depression, so his doctor gave him a prescription for 20 mg of lexapro a day. SWIM said that the lexapro didn't really help him with the anxiety. Well SWIM had heard that vyvanse is great to use for social anxiety and depression, so one day SWIM finally decided to take more than what he is actually prescribed. SWIM said he loved how much it helped with his anxiety and depression, and so now SWIM takes vyvanse when the time calls for it. Sadly SWIM started to build up a tolerance to the vyvanse, and he has been taking a higher dose each day. Today, SWIM decided to push it, and go up to 600 mg in 1 day. SWIM is now experiencing evil hallucinations, and he is very paranoid. SWIM is wondering if what he's going through right now is amphetamine psychosis or is he just being paranoid? And if SWIM will be ok? And SWIM wants to know if there is a way to comfortably get through this episode he's having? And the last thing he wants to know, if there is something he can do to get through his job?

Btw SWIM hasnt eatin anything since yesterday morning, and he's only drank half a bottle of water since taking the vyvanse...SWIM is also pulling an all niter, because SWIM knows there's no way that he's going to sleep tonight.
Old 19-05-2011, 08:42
Silver Member

23 y/o Male from United States
Luckysheaven7 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 191, Level: 2 Points: 191, Level: 2 Points: 191, Level: 2
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%
Re: Vyvanse disaster?

First off your friend should definitely poor themselves a tall glass of cool water, keep it nearby and sip on it every once in a while. Hydration is VITAL. I wouldn't expect your friend to eat anything, but if he can down a piece of bread or two it will make his comedown a lot less shitty.

Hallucinations are not a good sign, I'm afraid. 600 mg is a ton to take at one time, but your friend obviously has a high tolerance. Hallucinations are bad, but the fact that he recognizes them as hallucinations may be hopeful. Also, how were they taken? Snorted, anally, or ingested? Pray tell, how much does he normally take for desired effects? If your friend is having evil hallucinations, perhaps the best thing to do would be for him to call off work sick and take the day to gather his wits as it would be a very bad idea to go to work in this state and possibly get fired.

Is your friend having difficulty breathing, or is he getting excessive cold sweats?

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good advice.
Old 19-05-2011, 09:00

Male from United States
Eytukaan is an unknown quantity at this point

SWIM doesn't really have a high tolerance, he waits about a week for the tolerance to go down. And SWIM always takes medications orally...SWIMS breathing gets pretty rapid, but once he calms down he breathes normally...SWIM says it feels like he has a very bad case of the flu, and he can barely get out of his bed...
Old 19-05-2011, 09:45
Silver Member

Is SWIY still coming up? If not, then fear not the worst has passed, and SWIY is probably fine, though I doubt the remainder of the experience will be pleasant. If SWIY condition gets any worse it might be time to call the ambulance. From the sounds of it, SWIY came very, very close to ODing and would advise caution to not take such high doses.

If SWIY starts puking or dry heaving uncontrollably it's definitely time to call an ambulance, but don't tell them the problem until they arrive as they may involve the police. Keep a phone nearby, and if SWIY is comfortable, text someone who might be up at this time and tell them if you don't respond every 10-15 minutes to call the ambulance. Be responsible. I can give SWIY my phone # as a last resort.

I'd say SWIY is most likely out of the woods, and hopefully is prudent enough to never take that high of a dose again.

Luckysheaven7 added 5 Minutes and 42 Seconds later...

"Overdose symptoms may include restlessness, tremor, muscle twitches, rapid breathing, confusion, hallucinations, panic, aggressiveness, muscle pain or tenderness, muscle weakness, fever or flu symptoms, and dark colored urine. These symptoms may be followed by depression and tiredness. Other overdose symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, uneven heartbeats, feeling light-headed, fainting, seizure (convulsions), or coma."

You may be overdosing... you really did take a monstrous dose. Get medical attention at your own discretion.

Luckysheaven7 added 12 Minutes and 28 Seconds later...

the LD50 of adderall is somewhere near 100mg/kg if i can remember correctly. So unless you weigh 6 kg (lol) I wouldn't worry about dying, because SWIY isn't near anywhere near that dose. However you are most likely experiencing amph. psychosis.

Last edited by Luckysheaven7; 19-05-2011 at 09:45. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 19-05-2011, 10:26
Silver Member

31 y/o Male from United States
pillls is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 215, Level: 2 Points: 215, Level: 2 Points: 215, Level: 2
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

600mg is a MASSIVE overdose for no tolerance in 24 hours. That is approximately equivalent to 240-250mg of Adderall XR. If SWIM were SWIY he would be going to a hospital immediately...An amphetamine overdose can cause a lot of serious side effects far before the LD50. If a hospital is not an option try to taking a low (equivalent to .5-1mg of alprazolam) dose of a benzodiazepines if available.
Old 19-05-2011, 10:43
Silver Member

SWIHim

Quote:
Sadly SWIM started to build up a tolerance to the vyvanse, and he has been taking a higher dose each day. Today, SWIM decided to push it, and go up to 600 mg in 1 day.
Leads me to believe that SWIH does have a fairly high tolerance, despite SWIH own knowledge. However, the fact that SWIH hasn't posted here leads me to the conclusion that either much worse things are happening, or SWIH has already been checked into the hospital. Let's hope he does in fact have a high tolerance, and the latter of the 2 options.

The lesson to be learned here is to always respect the drug. Respect. The. Drug. Learn when it is not okay to take more, and most obviously LOOK UP PROPER DOSAGE. If you are unsure if you're going to take too much DON'T TAKE THAT MUCH. I always go by 3 R's (as lame as it sounds).
Research your drug.
Respect the limits.
And lastly, let your body Recover before dosing again.

Great advice, man. Hopefully people take it to heart.
good harm reduction posts and replies
Old 19-05-2011, 10:45
Silver Member

44 y/o Male from United States
Spen is learning how to become a psychonaut.

It's been 2hrs since your last post. How is SWIY doing? Please keep us informed by updating your condition every 30 minutes or so.

My niece is prescribed Vyvanse. She's 16 and not the type to abuse drugs, but neither was I... until I did. Sixteen is a scary age for some, so I try to keep up on her meds and see what the side effects are and they're abused, etc., etc., so I can keep an eye on her.

Seriously, keep us updated. EDIT: Didn't wanna double post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckysheaven7 View Post
SWIHim

Leads me to believe that SWIH does have a fairly high tolerance, despite SWIH own knowledge. However, the fact that SWIH hasn't posted here leads me to the conclusion that either much worse things are happening, or SWIH has already been checked into the hospital. Let's hope he does in fact have a high tolerance, and the latter of the 2 options.

The lesson to be learned here is to always respect the drug. Respect. The. Drug. Learn when it is not okay to take more, and most obviously LOOK UP PROPER DOSAGE. If you are unsure if you're going to take too much DON'T TAKE THAT MUCH. I always go by 3 R's (as lame as it sounds).
Research your drug.
Respect the limits.
And lastly, let your body Recover before dosing again.
Exactly. Great advice. I hope this person is ok. Amphetamines scare the Hell out of me and I won't take them if I can avoid it. When I do take them, it's a very small dose and never to abuse them. That's like twice a year. Again to the OP, please keep us updated.
Old 20-05-2011, 03:41
Silver Member

24 y/o Male from United States
phiz is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1

Vyvanse operates by metabolizing over time, so you're not done yet. Quickly eat 1 piece of bread, drink 1 glass of water, and force yourself to throw up ONCE. That COULD get rid of some of the vyvanse that isn't dextroamphetamine yet, to save you some grief. Get in a comfortable position and go to an online chat room or an online game where players are particularly chatty. Chat your fingers off until you feel better. You could also try voice chatting, but it wont calm you down into a typing trance like chatting will. If you dont notice any improvement, seek help.
Old 22-05-2011, 13:01
Silver Member

44 y/o Male from United States
Spen is learning how to become a psychonaut.

Anyone heard from the OP since they posted?

You're being really cool about this. Very compassionate. :)
Old 24-05-2011, 01:24
Silver Member

Male from United States
acexnx316 is on the way upacexnx316 is on the way upacexnx316 is on the way up
Points: 295, Level: 2 Points: 295, Level: 2 Points: 295, Level: 2

SWIM is wondering the same... ?

Take care and be safe!!

P.S. ONLY 2 posts and joined on the day before this thread was made has me wondering/hoping this is just a troll (Or some sick joke).
Old 25-05-2011, 02:16
Silver Member

24 y/o Male from United States
phiz is an unknown quantity at this point

I would assume that this guy made it through alright. He posted this thread at 8:31, and according to his profile statistics, his last activity was at 19-05-2011 22:48, which is the same date that this thread was posted on, only 14 hours later.
Old 26-05-2011, 17:36
Titanium Member

Female from Canada
Canmedaa must live here.Canmedaa must live here.Canmedaa must live here.Canmedaa must live here.Canmedaa must live here.Canmedaa must live here.Canmedaa must live here.
Points: 934, Level: 4 Points: 934, Level: 4 Points: 934, Level: 4

Amphetamine psychosis is a medical emergency (any psychosis is a medical emergency) and while this thread is a tad old to apply to the OP anyone else reading this should be aware that there are things we can do to you in the ER to either eliminate the psychotic episode or reverse the affect and provide supportive care throughout the episode. If you are in an area where hemo tox screens are not mandatory for ER patients then you don't need to tell triage exctly how much you've taken. You can simply say something like "So I have script for this and I know it was wrong and I'm oh so sorry but I thought I'd take an extra one for <insert whatever reason here> and now I'm having <insert symptoms>" which generally suffices.

If you experience psychotic symptoms in close temporal proximity to dosing with Amphetamines (especially if you know it was ridiculous dose) please either call EMS or take yourself to the nearest emergency room. We can help you and keep you safe until the episode is over.

Be Safe,
-CAN

thanks for this fiirsthand input
Old 19-08-2012, 04:52
Silver Member

21 y/o Male from United States
thecomedown is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%

Just so everyone knows, I'm 95% sure that 600 mg of Vyvanse is a complete waste. 450 mg of that won't ever get to be pharmacologically active before it's excreted from the body. The reason Vyvanse is so unabusable is because it has to be hydrolyzed through the liver and thus provides a slow but steady onset and long duration.

While 150 mg of Vyvanse is a lot, it's not a life threatening amount unless he has absolutely 0 tolerance to it, and even then amphetamine psychosis will not kill you; it will just be an extremely uncomfortable experience.

I remember reading on wikipedia or something somewhere that amphetamine psychosis is very rarely due to excessive amphetamine; rather it's usually due to a lack of sleep/food. One could attribute that to amphetamine side effects; however; if one reminds oneself to eat often and to sleep at the very least 4-5 hours every 24ish hours, amphetamine psychosis is extremely unlikely.
Old 19-08-2012, 07:27
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from United States
Impure157 is captain of the psychonauts.Impure157 is captain of the psychonauts.Impure157 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 298, Level: 2 Points: 298, Level: 2 Points: 298, Level: 2
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecomedown View Post
Just so everyone knows, I'm 95% sure that 600 mg of Vyvanse is a complete waste. 450 mg of that won't ever get to be pharmacologically active before it's excreted from the body. The reason Vyvanse is so unabusable is because it has to be hydrolyzed through the liver and thus provides a slow but steady onset and long duration.

While 150 mg of Vyvanse is a lot, it's not a life threatening amount unless he has absolutely 0 tolerance to it, and even then amphetamine psychosis will not kill you; it will just be an extremely uncomfortable experience.

I remember reading on wikipedia or something somewhere that amphetamine psychosis is very rarely due to excessive amphetamine; rather it's usually due to a lack of sleep/food. One could attribute that to amphetamine side effects; however; if one reminds oneself to eat often and to sleep at the very least 4-5 hours every 24ish hours, amphetamine psychosis is extremely unlikely.
I can assure you that is incorrect, the lisdexfetamine in vyvanse is absorbed into the blood stream quickly when it reaches the intestines. It is in the blood stream where the conversion to d-amphetaminem occurs via enzymes in the red blood cells.
Old 20-08-2012, 23:00

33 y/o Male from United States
thecatinthehat is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%

Wow you guys are taking a lot. Swim is sorry to say that anything over 90mgs is dangerous. my friend swim tells me that the PDA (Physicians Desk Reference) has anything over 90mgs a lethal dose in a 24 hour period. Please be very careful when dosing with Adderall.
Old 21-08-2012, 04:14
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from United States
Impure157 is captain of the psychonauts.Impure157 is captain of the psychonauts.Impure157 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 298, Level: 2 Points: 298, Level: 2 Points: 298, Level: 2
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatinthehat View Post
Wow you guys are taking a lot. Swim is sorry to say that anything over 90mgs is dangerous. my friend swim tells me that the PDA (Physicians Desk Reference) has anything over 90mgs a lethal dose in a 24 hour period. Please be very careful when dosing with Adderall.
90mg if vyvanse and 90mg of Adderall are 2 VERY different doses, and neither one would be lethal to a healthy person.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:51

stev3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1

SWIM has been an amphetamine user for 5-6 years. SWIM has only suffered hallucinations while using Adderall. SWIM was on his 105th hour of being awake and began to see many things that weren't there. SWIM was unable to recognize these happenings as hallucinations and SWIM was fascinated by them for 1-2 hours until they went away. Afterwards, SWIM knew what had happened and learned how to keep the ingested dose as low as possible. Since then, SWIM hasn't had a hallucinations and finds that amphetamines work best with a lower tolerance. SWIM feels like a higher tolerance not only makes it harder to feel the positive effects of amphetamines, but it has a shorter duration each use and makes the come down effects worsen.

SWIM highly suggests that one closely monitors their vitamin and protein intake during extended periods of use and when taking a high dosage. It's easy to forget to take care of your body on amphetamines, SWIM tells me.

Taking control of things yourself and not allowing your addiction to get out of hand....benefits you SO much more in the end, anyone who never learns how to pace themselves is an ABSOLUTE idiot (who wants to die), according to SWIM's point of view.

Please do not use SWIM http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197306

Share this on:

Tags
amphetamine psychosis, vyvanse overdose