Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Tramadol
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 13-05-2011, 23:26
Silver Member

54 y/o Male from United States
Goshawk is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 106, Level: 1 Points: 106, Level: 1 Points: 106, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Tramadol withdrawal worse than morphine, oxycodone and hydrocodone

Felix is posting this after seeing quite a few posts with incorrect information on Tramadol withdrawal. Some stating the symptoms are no worse than a cold. This cat realizes that each person can have different experiences with withdrawal from the same drug but this is my story.
Swim has withdrawn from opium, oxycodone, hydrocodone and morphine many times and by far Tramadol is the worst, nastiest, crap your pants, bone crushing, freezing, burning up, crawling out of your skin, anxiety filled, panic, going completely crazy in agony than any other opioid or opiate withdrawal this cat has suffered through.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Thank you for sharing your experience.
Totally agree, Id take morphine or fen wd instead anytime.
Old 14-05-2011, 01:09
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from United States
dabullsef is a decent psychonaut.dabullsef is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 150, Level: 1 Points: 150, Level: 1 Points: 150, Level: 1
Re: Tramadol withdrawal worse than morphine, oxycodone and hydrocodone

It could be because Tramadol has a slight SSRI effect and you're also withdrawing from that.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Think this is the case
Old 14-05-2011, 12:43
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from Romania
toobad is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

Brain chemistry is an individual thing and there are no tests to determine who is in need of which neurotransmitters at any given time. I'm sorry to hear about your suffering and I think this forum is one place that when someone says they're sorry they really are because I know how bad withdrawal can be.

When I had a few surgeries done I was under maximum dosage of tramadol for months. I was afraid I would go through withdrawal when it ended but to mu surprise there was nothing. Heroine on the other hand is different. When my friend goes through withdrawal it is the most severe any of his friends have ever seen. My friend's brain "needs" the changes heroine causes but perhaps doesn't need the effects of tramadol.

Just a theory we all used to sit around and contemplate.
Old 15-05-2011, 18:23
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from United States
samsa is captain of the psychonauts.samsa is captain of the psychonauts.samsa is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 580, Level: 3 Points: 580, Level: 3 Points: 580, Level: 3

I know of an insect who is undergoing tramadol withdrawl and he says his brain cannot learn to do everyday tasks he once did on tramadol, or is doing so with great difficulty.

True, tramadol withdrawl is much different from that of regular opiate because you have some other biochemical interactions going on, so i dont think its fair to compare it to that of morphine, oxy, or hydro withdrawl, or cocaine withdrawl or speed withdrawl for that matter. Not that its better or worse, just different and altogether miserable.
Old 17-07-2011, 04:34

24 y/o Male from Australia
IAmAnAussieFromBrissy! needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.

Agreed dude.

If SWIY uses large amounts of tramadol for a period of 3 months + well then you're in a world of hurt when it comes to withdrawal. It's a mixture of Effexor withdrawal (the worse anti-depressant to get off) and also of codeine (which ain't too pretty).

Tramadol re-uptakes serotonin and norepinephrine, as well as exhibits pain relieving qualities similar to codeine god knows how the fuck, so BAM, you're in a world of hurt.
Old 23-07-2011, 03:39

51 y/o Male from United States
Guran Oakenshield is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1

My Little Hobbit Friend has been through two, multi-year, $100 per day heroin habits. MLHF is now two days in to a home detox after a four year, 450 mg per day tramadol addiction. The wee, fuzzy-footed fellow would trade the ever-loving horror of the tramadol withdrawals for either of those cold turkey heroin kicks. MLHF says what he's going through now is the worst agony he's ever experienced, and that's with the aid of clonidine and hydroxizine.
Old 29-07-2011, 22:02
is not his mind

Male from Earth
NeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 21,117, Level: 21 Points: 21,117, Level: 21 Points: 21,117, Level: 21
Activity: 9.9% Activity: 9.9% Activity: 9.9%

Agreed, 100%. Tramadol withdrawal lasted longer, and was much more uncomfortable than heroin or oxycodone withdrawal.

Night sweats lasted for 3 days, headaches for a week, runny nose for about 8 days. He was very unmotivated and lethargic for the first few days, and then slowly the depressed mood wore off. This was after daily 400mg Tramadol administration, for 5 or 6 days.
Old 25-10-2011, 17:18

Female from United Kingdom
pinkmilk is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1

Just wanted to revive this thread and ask anyone in the know How long Im likely to feel like my brain has been scrambled up by the devil himself with this Tramadol withdrawal ? Im one week in and suffering
Old 25-10-2011, 18:17
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from United States
samsa is captain of the psychonauts.samsa is captain of the psychonauts.samsa is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 580, Level: 3 Points: 580, Level: 3 Points: 580, Level: 3

As always it depends on how much youve been taking and for how long, but the general rule at play here is that all of those withering receptors will recover after a full 10 days. Hang in there, because things can only start getting better!
Old 26-10-2011, 06:39

35 y/o Male from United States
ellessone is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1

Jesus, you guys want to make my little furry woodland creature create a good schedule of weaning over a couple weeks. . .

For someone just taking the maximum 400mg / 24 hours, what would one recommend would be the easiest.

The little creature was going to do the following:

Day 1 - 200mg AM / 200mg PM
Day 2 - 200mg AM / 200mg PM
Day 3 - 175mg AM / 175mg PM
Day 4 - 175mg AM / 175mg PM
Day 5 - 150mg AM / 150mg PM

and so on and so forth. to much too fast?? TIA for your assistance.
Old 27-10-2011, 17:41
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,079, Level: 15 Points: 11,079, Level: 15 Points: 11,079, Level: 15
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

Doesn't sound too fast to me. In fact, it should be pretty comfy if you can actually stick to that plan!

Towards the end, you might want to start mixing the dosing schedules, something like:

75mg AM/50mg PM
50mg AM/50mg PM
50mg AM/35mg PM

etc etc

If you have the ability to actually stick to your schedule no matter what (it's pretty hard to do, actually!), take into account that you should be thinking of the various dosage drops not in mg, but in percentages of doses.

Like...if you're taking 50mg & your next dose drop is to 40mg, that's a 20% dosage drop (I think - something like that). But, if your dose is 20mg & you drop to 10mg, that's a 50% dosage drop, which will be noticed FAR more than the 50>40 drop. Get it?

So you might want to do something like, each dosage drop is 15% of the previous. Which involves a bit more math & odd doses, but would be more comfortable. This is less important at the higher doses, but can make a difference at lower doses.

There may also be some merit to dropping down, then switching to a low dose of an SSRI & continuing to taper from there, that way you get the opioid part out of the way & can take it a little slower for the brain-zappy-serotonin part. I've heard of people doing this, but as I've never been addicted to tramadol, I've not looked into it too much, so some research to see if that's worth the effort would be prudent. Also depends upon how much the serotonic aspects of the withdrawal are debilitating.

All the best!

~Kailey
Old 01-12-2011, 21:53
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Female from United States
StayingTheCourse is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmilk View Post
Just wanted to revive this thread and ask anyone in the know How long Im likely to feel like my brain has been scrambled up by the devil himself with this Tramadol withdrawal ? Im one week in and suffering
Hi there--my goldfish Goldy also had 10 days clean off Tamadol this week when BAM! Goldy started having bladder spasms, "phantom pain" or increased sensitivity in "bicycle seat area". Very uncomfortable. So, Goldy gave in (sigh, Goldy felt like a loser for doing so) and took 2 50mg Tramadol and BAM! All the above mentioned symptoms completely went away. Goldy is positive these symptoms have everything to do with this hellish Tramadol withdrawal because Goldy went to THREE DIFFERENT docs---primary, Gyno and Urologist--and none of them found a urinary tract infection, or kidney stones or anything. So, Goldy is not sure if Goldy "reset" the Tramadol w/ds or not, but Goldy had to take Imodium yesterday for non-stop diarreah. Pinkmilk--Tramadol messes with heads. It calls out to you, hurls strange pains at you, just so you can be in its clutches again. Don't believe the lie! People say it gets better. Can anyone help Goldy the Goldfish and Pinkmilk understand why---10 days and two weeks later--strange stuff keeps happening? Did Goldy reset the w/ds? Can anyone hazard a guess? Thanks.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:22

51 y/o Male from United States
Guran Oakenshield is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's what my Hobbit Friend has learned. He found that his w/ds were still unpleasantly bad after two weeks. However, Kratom, along with clonidine, helped to make them bearable. He still experienced the strange neurological effects (the brain zaps, waves of deep anxiety, terrible nightmares) six weeks later until he relapsed. He believes that the brain zaps are a consequence of tramadol's similarity to the antidepressant Effexor. You may find that Tramadol addiction lays on you the double whammy of opiate withdrawal as well as simultaneous SSRI Withdrawal Syndrome. My Hobbit Friend suggests you investigate the relationship between Tramadol, Effexor, and SSRI Syndrome. There may be some techniques for ameliorating the effects of the dual nature of Tramadol. My Hobbit Friend and I wish you all the very best.

Also, if you have any advice in turn, I'll be happy to pass it on to my little Hobbit Friend.
Old 15-12-2011, 23:27

47 y/o Male from United States
JunkyardAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1

I took the evil shit for 2-1/2 weeks....no more than 400mg per day for a week then did a quick 1-1/2 week taper. Last dose was 33 days ago. In the beginning there was severe body ache and insomnia. Then there was the antsy "jump out of my skin" feeling. Right now, 33 days later, I feel like shit. For the last 3 weeks the symptoms are less acute and more random bit can still last all day..like today. I am working but not at full capacity. Most mornings I can hardly get out of bed. I'm getting better but its real slow. Slow..slow. I have been thru hydrocodone wd's and for me, Tramadol is worse. It just takes so long even after only a short time taking it. Evil shit and should be banned. Can someone tell me when it will end and if it will be abruptly or gradually?

On the bright side, I'm off of all pain meds...I have trigeminal nerve pain in my head. On Cymbalta now for almost 6 weeks. The random wd's cause me head pain but when I am not symptomatic, my pain is better. This will all pass I know. Patience!
Old 20-05-2013, 13:27

Male from United States
3202hill is an unknown quantity at this point
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post
Felix is posting this after seeing quite a few posts with incorrect information on Tramadol withdrawal. Some stating the symptoms are no worse than a cold. This cat realizes that each person can have different experiences with withdrawal from the same drug but this is my story.
Swim has withdrawn from opium, oxycodone, hydrocodone and morphine many times and by far Tramadol is the worst, nastiest, crap your pants, bone crushing, freezing, burning up, crawling out of your skin, anxiety filled, panic, going completely crazy in agony than any other opioid or opiate withdrawal this cat has suffered through.
How much Tramadol were you taking per day in milligram? You are so right: each opiate is relative to each person and each person has a different experience with any type opiate withdrawal. I just read an abstract, I wish I knew the name but you just have to Google Hep and Morphine withdrawal to find it. Any way, it says if one has Hep C use of morphine raises ones viral load and detox from morphine raises viral load as your liver cannot pass or do its jobs with deleterious toxins.
Old 24-05-2013, 03:04

20 y/o Male from Kenya
WuChild should review received reputation comments.
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1

My pet scorpion,Scorpio has withdrawn from this nasty wonderful pill more times than it would like to admit.It stopped for a while 2 weeks ago after fear of addiction and discovered that quitting cold turkey was probably the dumbest mistake it made.Lowering doses to as little as 50 mg made the last withdrawal pretty easy and only lasted 3 days.
Scorpio also found out that tramadol much like Heroin cannot be an everyday routine.Try skipping some days of the week or replacing it with a different high (alcohol,weed,etc) on different days or alternating doses (Monday 400mg,Tuesday 250mg,Wednesday 400mg,Thursday 150mg,Friday 500mg).

Scorpio realizes that this might be extremely difficult for addicts but easier than facing the fucked-up withdrawal symptoms that WILL occur.Good Luck
Old 26-08-2013, 05:39

38 y/o Male from United States
mk76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

Wouldn't and didn't feel bad going to the ER last morning...told the man I was achy and shakey for starters. After 7 years of taking them nearly every day for legit pain issues...the withdrawl was horrible and gradual...yawning non-stop, watery eyes, running nose, coughing, sneezing oh that's just the beginning then hour 20 - horrid body and joint pain, the resless like feeling from the core, leg spasms, that leads to the suicide thoughts. Don't want to hurt myself and know there is help out there and up there in our heavenly Father.

Was completely straight with them in the ER and the good news- nurses and doctors are seeing this and they understand! Or at least these one's did. Oh yeah my blood pressure was thru the roof , heart rate elevated.

The Dr. told me she could give me 10 and I was like probably will cut them in half. They gave me 1 there
but it didn't do anything to be honest. Got home and found she had given me 15 ..whoo whoo! Probably dumb but it took a couple more to feel normal again.

So I'm probably headed to impatient - or a tapering program with wife administering tramadol.

Then I'm done they either fix the pain areas or I live with it no more meds.
Old 04-09-2013, 15:17

Male from United States
3202hill is an unknown quantity at this point
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%

Good to know as I was planning to titrate down from MS Contin with Tramodol. During a brief stint in jail I was able to cut my 360 methadone habit by 50% with only chills and sleeplessness. The last 20 mgs was the hardest and could not get past 7 mgs. I have supplemented Tramodol with MS Contin and is helpful for sleep.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:20

Female from United States
beckster is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1

I am day 13 without tramadol - 7-8 yrs daily use of 450-700+ mg (forgot the details, really) and while the heebie jeebies are well gone, the blahs persist. Oh well it's got to be done. The drug life sucks, the straight life sucks! And then we die - woohoo!!! But what a boatload of money I'll save....hey maybe I'll have a boob job and post on the new thread! Won't THAT be a motivator! *Insert sly catty grin here*

Share this on:

Tags
analgesic, brain zap, drugs forum, effexor, heroin, opioid, tramadol, tramadol addiction, tramal, ultram, withdrawals

» New Threads
Quitting with subutex
Last post by opiatebattler
6 Replies, 85 Views
Codeine Vs Tramadol
Last post by Hamish
5 Replies, 224 Views
Looking for advice to help quit...
Last post by anon9871
2 Replies, 34 Views
Cocaine experiences
Last post by Dwhoneil