Register Tags

Notices

Old 09-05-2011, 03:21

46 y/o Female from United States
dissarming is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Pharmacy wont fill my rx

I cant get Kmart to fill my scripts for oxycodone 10/325 amount of 360 and hydrocodone 10/325 amount of 360. Both pharmacist said that the script is wriiten for 2 tabs every 2 hours and that is a toxic amount of tylenol. This happened late Friday afternoon and when they called the dr's office was already closed. So they sold me 48 oxycodones and no hydrocodone. Thank God I had about 60 Norco left so I will make it until everybody opens in the morning. It was a long road to get dr to presribe this amount of pain meds and now the pharmacy is going to red flag it, grrrr. I had a gastric bypass and dont absorb meds of any kind very well, so all my drugs are quick release. I have been taking these drugs for over 15 years now and have a huge tolerance for them as well as no absorbtion. Case point would be that I take 23mg of Warfarin a day and the normal dose is 3 to 8mg a day. If anyone has any ideas on how the hell I go about getting the pharmacist to understand that my body is my business and the Dr wrote the rx so fill it, please let me know.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:38
Phenoxide Phenoxide is nu online
Research Chemicals Forum
Super Moderator

Male from United Kingdom
Phenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 21,185, Level: 21 Points: 21,185, Level: 21 Points: 21,185, Level: 21
Activity: 45.1% Activity: 45.1% Activity: 45.1%
Re: Pharmacy wont fill my rx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissarming View Post
If anyone has any ideas on how the hell I go about getting the pharmacist to understand that my body is my business and the Dr wrote the rx so fill it, please let me know.
I'm sure the pharmacists were just covering their own backs rather than refusing service to mess with you. If they had prescribed it to you and you'd keeled over dead from liver failure a few days later then there would be all kinds of regulatory and criminal liability implications for them. It's reasonable for them to flag it up because at face value that amount of acetaminophen taken as prescribed would be highly toxic to most people.

You need to speak to the prescribing doctor about the problem getting the script filled as soon as possible. They can probably write you an official letter than explains the exceptional circumstances that make such a script justified. If possible note down the phone number of the doctor's surgery and try to collect the scripts during surgery hours so that if there is a problem you can ask the pharmacists to phone the doctor directly and discuss their concerns.

I wouldn't worry too much about it though. Unless the doctor made a horrendous error with the original script then they aren't going to change their mind about what they've prescribed just because the pharmacy was being difficult. It will get dispensed eventually but you may have to jump through a hoop or two to get there.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:45

46 y/o Female from United States
dissarming is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1

TY this sounds much more reasonable than what's been going thru my mind. I just hate to have to explain why I need my pills. I know I'm an addict and I'm ok w/that, but I hate to be looked at or treated as some kind of loser seeking narcotics.
Old 10-05-2011, 13:36
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

42 y/o Male from United States
junky4life is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 68, Level: 1 Points: 68, Level: 1 Points: 68, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

a kmart rx techie changing a script??? this is legal??? i dont think so..they cant change it to something else a generic ok or a name brand ok..unless DAW in box of course..wow ..but kmart is still liable for his actions..
Old 10-05-2011, 14:26
Silver Member

33 y/o Female from United States
dragon6102 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 106, Level: 1 Points: 106, Level: 1 Points: 106, Level: 1

It is their duty to refuse to fill a prescription written for a toxic dose. Just like it is a nurse's duty to refuse to carry out a doctor's order that is questionable. As soon as the doctor tells them it is what he or she meant to prescribe they will fill it. All offices have an after hours answering service with someone on call, so I don't see why they couldn't reach the doctor.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Proper response, just because the pharmacy was at K-mart does not mean they don't have to follow pharmacist protocols
Old 13-05-2011, 23:32
Mercury Member

45 y/o Male from United States
3dfunk should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

I'm just really surprised that a legit Dr. is going to prescribe that much in the first place.
Old 14-05-2011, 00:26
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

I don't think it's a large amount of oxycodone, though I do think it would be wise of the doctor to upgrade the script to the 15mg or 30mg oxycodone-only tablets; this would avoid the very issue the pharmacy is concerned about, in addition to not have to take unnecessary medication. *shrug*

Did the 'scripts finally get filled or not?

~Kailey
Old 14-05-2011, 04:09
Silver Member

Male from Earth
Herbs&Hopes is on the way upHerbs&Hopes is on the way upHerbs&Hopes is on the way up
Points: 579, Level: 3 Points: 579, Level: 3 Points: 579, Level: 3
Activity: 3.4% Activity: 3.4% Activity: 3.4%

As written, that would be 234 grams of paracetamol per month, 7.8 grams per day. I would be interested in meds without acetaminophen if in that position myself, that is not an unreasonable concern to take up with your doctor; unless the acetaminophen really adds to your pain management. Daily limit is generally 4 grams.
Old 14-05-2011, 04:48
Silver Member

72 y/o Male from USA - California
veritas.socal must live here.veritas.socal must live here.veritas.socal must live here.veritas.socal must live here.veritas.socal must live here.veritas.socal must live here.veritas.socal must live here.
Points: 1,135, Level: 5 Points: 1,135, Level: 5 Points: 1,135, Level: 5

yes, kmart can do that.
and that is a lethal dose.
and swim doesnt know why the md didnt just rx a bunch of IR tabs. or possibly transdermal(dont know if these meds come rx in transdermal). evem if swim doesnt absorb meds well(and why would swiy have to justify to swiDF...) its still irresponsible rx-ing, as What If swiy did absorb a lot of apap?
Old 14-05-2011, 07:19
Mercury Member

And why both Oxy and Hydro? I could see Oxycontin with Oxycodone for breakthrough pain but not the afore mentioned combo.
Old 14-05-2011, 23:47
Silver Member

Male from United States
djsjjd is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 77, Level: 1 Points: 77, Level: 1 Points: 77, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dfunk View Post
And why both Oxy and Hydro? I could see Oxycontin with Oxycodone for breakthrough pain but not the afore mentioned combo.
Yeah, two IRs in that quantity don't make sense. Especially with all of that APAP.
Old 15-05-2011, 01:06
Platinum Member & Advisor

34 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,265, Level: 20 Points: 19,265, Level: 20 Points: 19,265, Level: 20
Activity: 59.7% Activity: 59.7% Activity: 59.7%

Cold water extraction or CWE would be well worth looking into. Acetaminophen does not dissolve in cold water while opiates do, allowing anyone with a coffee filter to separate out these foolishly* mixed drugs.

*I will always be boggled as to why the US insists on mixing opiates with toxins.
Old 15-05-2011, 01:11
Banned

57 y/o Male from Togo
salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1
Activity: 17.7% Activity: 17.7% Activity: 17.7%

My friends doctor prescribed him 480 Norco 10/325. They filled it, since it is a national chain it was Walmart. K-mart is the worse place to fill a script. They have a Prescription Oversight Government Office, that overseas who is getting what. They can tell if you're going to two doctors or three and what you're gettig from them.

My Suboxone doctor, who is slightly cool, pulled out a paper during an office visit and said I see buddy is getting clonazepam from Dr. Franken, and Vicodin from Dr. Stein. They couldn't have busted Buddy because all the benzo's were of different types. Buddy freaked. He went home and wrote a three page letter to my doctor explained the Vicodin ES (12) were for an abcess he had, and the clonazepam were for sleep, because the Klonopin 1 mg just wasn't cutting it. Bud called Walgreens and told them to scratch the klonopin script, cause he's taking 90 footballs and 30 temazepam also.

He let me slide, and called bud and said, I just wants to be on the same page as you. Don't worry, I will still be your Suboxone doctor.

They can request a paper that has everything you are taking and what doctor your getting it from.

2 Norco every 2 hours is way too much, IMO, the pharmacist did the right thing and will probably report him to the Licensing board. Like Elise said, switch to oxycodone with no acetaminophen in it. Get 60 mg ER's and 3 15's for the break through pain. You will be flying like a kite.

salgoud

Last edited by salgoud; 15-05-2011 at 01:16.
Old 15-05-2011, 13:30
Mercury Member

Dissarming, did you eventually get this worked out?
Old 19-05-2011, 00:41
Silver Member

Female from Canada
LostControl is a decent psychonaut.LostControl is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 313, Level: 2 Points: 313, Level: 2 Points: 313, Level: 2
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

As a pharmacist, I would have trouble with these prescriptions too - the fact that you want to fill them after hours is a huge red flag - most prescription forgeries are done after doctors offices close, so pharmacists can't call the office to verify the script.
There are a number of red flags with these scripts - it looks like a huge forgery for a number of reasons - the massive doses of APAP, the hydrocone and oxycodone prescriptions, the frequency of dosing (every 2 hours?), and the large number of tablets that you want (forgers tend to be greedy - they will write themselves large prescriptions so they don't have to come back often).
If you had been using the same pharmacy for years, and they had watched the dosage slowly creep up over time (you were on 1 tab 4x a day, then increased to 2 tabs 4x a day, then increased to 2 tabs 6x a day, etc...) then they would know that this Rx is legit. I'm actually REALLY surprised that they even gave you enough for 2 days. Every pharmacy I've ever worked for would never have filled these.
A few questions for you - why are you taking 2 drugs that are practically identical? Why are you not taking pure oxycodone or hydrocodone? There is no need to give you a combo drug. Why do you need the extra 60 Norco to get through the weekend? The 48 tabs they gave you should have been enough to get through the weekend. Why aren't you using the same pharmacy that you have in the past? Obviously you've slowly worked up to such high doses.... you aren't just starting on these doses. If you were using a different pharmacy, and decided to change for whatever reason (I have changed a lot myself recently, so I understand), why not have the new pharmacy call the old pharmacy to clarify that this actually is the dosage you are used to taking.
If you have trouble with absorption, you could try using a transdermal drug or an injection. If I was you, I'd be very afraid of how much APAP is being absorbed - obviously some must be if the opiates are being absorbed. Liver failure is nasty, and preventable in this instance.
If you're taking so much warfarin, why not use an injectable blood thinner - such as heparin? Again, warfarin is such a touchy drug, and you must have to have your INR checked all the time if your absorption is so unpredictable. Heparin would allow you to get away with not ever having to have your INR checked.
I'm on warfarin and oxycontin personally - and I take large doses of oxycontin (300 oxy 80s monthly), but I've increased very slowly (it's taken 10 years to get to this point). So, I not only have an idea of what I'm talking about as a professional, but also as a patient. You're going to constantly have trouble filling these prescriptions, so my suggestion is to get it sorted out with one pharmacy, and stay there, so your monthly refills go smoothly. Fill the Rxs during doctor's office hours, and if there is a pharmacy beside the doctor's office, I would suggest you fill the Rxs there - it might be a bit more expensive, but it will save you a ton of trouble.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Insightful breakdown of the issue from a professional & personal viewpoint
fantastic breakdown, lots of great questions for the OP to ponder & discuss with the doctor (if there really is one...)
Good post addressing the original poster's question from a pharmacist's perspective, and offering useful advice.
Old 19-05-2011, 08:31
Silver Member

Male from United States
SeeYouOnPluto is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 246, Level: 2 Points: 246, Level: 2 Points: 246, Level: 2

The reason they don't want to prescribe it is because of the large amount of acetaminophen. For the sake of getting your meds(and more importantly your liver) have your doctor prescribe you pure Oxy.

This way you won't have problems at the pharmacy and your liver won't fail
Old 19-05-2011, 18:50
Silver Member

Female from Canada
LostControl is a decent psychonaut.LostControl is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 313, Level: 2 Points: 313, Level: 2 Points: 313, Level: 2
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon6102 View Post
.... All offices have an after hours answering service with someone on call, so I don't see why they couldn't reach the doctor.
I don't know about the U.S., but in Canada we don't have a lot of doctors with after hours on call services. Most answering machines in offices will just say "If this is an emergency, go to the closest walk-in clinic, or the Hospital Emergency Room". I worked for 7 years in a large city - and was stuck with the crappy Noon - 8:30 pm shift for the whole time - so had a lot of experience with trying to contact doctors after hours. I can't remember one time that a person came in with a forgery during regular office hours - but we had tons of forgeries in the evenings, and on weekends. Just going to the pharmacy during office hours would be a good start. They could call the doctor's office and confirm that the Rx is correct as written. The fact that you went after hours would be a big red flag to them, even if it was a real Rx.
Old 19-05-2011, 19:12
Banned

44 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Dickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,375, Level: 12 Points: 7,375, Level: 12 Points: 7,375, Level: 12

I think most bases have been covered here, but just to do the maths, the combined prescriptions are for 24*325mg=7800mg paracetamol (APAP/acetaminophen) a day, which is considerably above the usual recommended amount of 4000mg/day.

It seems to me negligent of any doctor to prescribe such an amount, and I can fully understand why a pharmacist might be suspicious.

As already mentioned, I hope you are doing some kind of cold water extraction if you are taking these pills in such high doses.

All the best

Dickon
Old 19-05-2011, 21:42
Silver Member

Male from United States
mcempire999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYouOnPluto View Post
The reason they don't want to prescribe it is because of the large amount of acetaminophen. For the sake of getting your meds(and more importantly your liver) have your doctor prescribe you pure Oxy.

This way you won't have problems at the pharmacy and your liver won't fail

I that possible? learning something new every day
Old 24-05-2011, 06:59
Silver Member

Male from United States
SeeYouOnPluto is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 246, Level: 2 Points: 246, Level: 2 Points: 246, Level: 2

Depending upon where you live it's possible.

If you're in the U.S

"Roxicodone, a generic oxycodone product designed to have an immediate release effect for rapid pain relief, is available in 15 mg (green), and 30 mg (blue) tablets"

" In the US Oxycodone Immediate Release tablets are also available in 10 mg (pink) and 20 mg (grey) tablets from KVK-Tech, a generic manufacturer."

Taken from wiki

Swim had a script for 20 mg pure Oxycontins a while back, those were extended release though.

Glad to help

Share this on: