Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Oxymorphone
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 04-05-2011, 21:58
Nomen est Omen

51 y/o Male from USA - Colorado
St Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline Medline
Points: 5,221, Level: 10 Points: 5,221, Level: 10 Points: 5,221, Level: 10
Activity: 15.0% Activity: 15.0% Activity: 15.0%
oxymorphone more expensive than hydromorphone

First of all, this is not intended to be nor should be construed as a discussion of prices. I wish to make that perfectly clear! I know to the penny what I pay for my prescriptions, I don't care what you pay, and I will not argue the two.

My question is this: Why is Oxymorphone so much more expensive than Hydromorphone? Is it the manufacturing process? A difference in the availability of the component chemicals? Marketing? Is it inherently more difficult for the major drug manufacturers to produce Oxy than it is for Hydro? We are talking an increase by a factor of at least 20 here!

Any thoughts or comments regarding this would be appreciated.

Post Quality Evaluations:
fascinating question, the cost of perscription drugs is something of a mystery to most people
Very good question. It will be interesting to see the answer!
Old 04-05-2011, 23:09
Silver Member

Male from United States
djsjjd is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 77, Level: 1 Points: 77, Level: 1 Points: 77, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: oxymorphone more expensive than hydromorphone

I'm not sure, but I suspect it is generic vs. brand name. I am not sure, because I have never been prescribed hydromorphone. However, my friend is prescribed oxymorphone (Opana ER). My friend says that the new ER Opana is patent-protected and drives a higher price. Not sure about the oxymorphone IR, though. Does anyone know if oxymorphone IR is available generic?

If oxymorphone IR is available cheaply as a generic, it doesn't make sense. But, if the IR is not available as a generic, I suspect it has to do with patent-protection and that hydromorphone's patent-protection has run out.

Interestingly reasoned speculation.
Old 17-05-2011, 00:28
Silver Member

32 y/o Male from United States
m.swinehart81 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 669, Level: 4 Points: 669, Level: 4 Points: 669, Level: 4

I know u can get oxymorphone 10mg and 20mg ER in generic. Swim has had them before. Verified that they were oxymorphone through a pill identifier online... That and they did the trick for him when IV'd
Old 17-05-2011, 02:55
Nomen est Omen

St Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline Medline

Further research has indicated that the expense of Opana ER is indeed driven by exclusive patents. Not sure about the oxy IR, as that is not an option for me. After I began this post, I ended up dumping the Opana ER because of the ridiculous price and moved over to Fentanyl patches at 100 mcg/hr with the hydromorphon for breakthrough pain. I'll just keep the leftover Opana ER for a back-up at this point.
Old 24-09-2011, 00:32

Male from Canada
scottd420 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1

It would only make sense if you compared both generics, or both brandname. You can't expect the price of generic hydromorphone to be more than Opana [IR]. That's like trying to compare a pound of oranges to a pound apples.
Old 24-09-2011, 01:40
Nomen est Omen

Either way, the oxymorphon is still considerably more that hydromorphon.
Old 24-09-2011, 05:15

Male from Canada
scottd420 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1

^^ Okay cool, I wasn't sure, we don't have oxymorphone in Canada. With the exception of the injection formula in hospitals (Numorphan), but I've never heard of it used. Hydromorphone is first line in hospitals if patients can't have morphine.
I mentioned that because it sounded like people were referring to brand name Opana and generic hydromorph, which wouldn't make sense at all.
Old 24-09-2011, 05:46
Nomen est Omen

Really? That's weird! Over here, Oxymorphon is available in a generic form as IR only, with Opana being the brand name for the extended release type.

Hydromorphon, on the other hand, is known as Dilaudid in the IR version, which is also available in a generic form. The extended release version is new and they just brought it back after banning it for awhile. It was reformulated to make it harder to break the matrix.

Never heard of injectable oxymorphon though. Around here, that's all hydromorphon!
Old 28-10-2011, 10:04
Silver Member

Male from United States
djsjjd is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 77, Level: 1 Points: 77, Level: 1 Points: 77, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxinreleased View Post
Hydromorphon, on the other hand, is known as Dilaudid in the IR version, which is also available in a generic form. The extended release version is new and they just brought it back after banning it for awhile. It was reformulated to make it harder to break the matrix.

Never heard of injectable oxymorphon though. Around here, that's all hydromorphon!
Do you know the brand-name of the ER hydromorphone? Is it available in generic?
Old 29-10-2011, 01:45
Palladium Member

32 y/o Female from Australia
iceflame really adds to the discussion.iceflame really adds to the discussion.iceflame really adds to the discussion.iceflame really adds to the discussion.iceflame really adds to the discussion.iceflame really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,006, Level: 4 Points: 1,006, Level: 4 Points: 1,006, Level: 4
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%

In Australia the ER Hydromorphone is called

No generic here...yet.

Hydromorphone ER. is available in the US. and is marketed as Exalgo.

It was originally known as Palladone, but the FDA requested they suspend sales due to the overall risk versus benefit profile of Palladone, claiming it was unfavorable due to a potentially fatal interaction with alcohol.

Last edited by iceflame; 07-11-2011 at 03:30. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-01-2012, 16:28
Silver Member

36 y/o Male from United States
mistman is a decent psychonaut.mistman is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 387, Level: 3 Points: 387, Level: 3 Points: 387, Level: 3
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%

Generic 10mg IR oxymorphone is almost as expensive as Opana 10mg IR at my local pharmacies.. First reason is the generic has not been out long. Also companies that primarily produce generics price gouge when they can. The FTC sued and won a $100 million verdict against Mylan for fixing the price of generic lorazepam and clorazepate in 1998-99. They raised the price 2000%. Just think how often this happens and nothing is done about it.

Very interesting point about potentially corrupt practices.
Old 04-01-2012, 16:43
Silver Member

Female from Canada
LostControl is a decent psychonaut.LostControl is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 313, Level: 2 Points: 313, Level: 2 Points: 313, Level: 2
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

In Ontario, the provincial government has an online formulary at https://www.healthinfo.moh.gov.on.ca...lary/index.jsp which lists which drugs are covered under the provincial plan, and how much they will pay per tablet. Although we don't have oxymorphone tabs in Canada, we have hydromorph. I wanted to compare oxycontin to hydromorph - I compared 30mg Hydromorph to 80mg Oxycontin (according to the opioid conversion calculator, that is the equivalent dosage) - and hydromorph contin is cheaper than oxycontin. Both are made by Purdue. I wonder how much prices in the US differ than here in Canada???
Old 05-01-2012, 04:18
Nomen est Omen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostControl View Post
In Ontario, the provincial government has an online formulary at https://www.healthinfo.moh.gov.on.ca...lary/index.jsp which lists which drugs are covered under the provincial plan, and how much they will pay per tablet. Although we don't have oxymorphone tabs in Canada, we have hydromorph. I wanted to compare oxycontin to hydromorph - I compared 30mg Hydromorph to 80mg Oxycontin (according to the opioid conversion calculator, that is the equivalent dosage) - and hydromorph contin is cheaper than oxycontin. Both are made by Purdue. I wonder how much prices in the US differ than here in Canada???
No price discussion, but it is considerable.

Share this on:

Tags
14-hydroxydihydromorphinone, analgesic, canada, dilaudid, drug, extended release, hydromorph contin, hydromorphone, india, numorphan, numorphone, ontario, opana, opana er, opana ir, opioid, oxycontin, oxymorphone