Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Cannabis > Cannabis paraphernalia
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Cannabis paraphernalia About bongs, pipes, grinders, papers and other paraphernalia.

Old 20-04-2011, 17:47
Platinum Member & Advisor

34 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,286, Level: 20 Points: 19,286, Level: 20 Points: 19,286, Level: 20
Activity: 59.3% Activity: 59.3% Activity: 59.3%
Glass Blowing with Uranium Glass?

I've got my hands on some Uranium glass and I was thinking I'd really like to get it made into a pipe. The stuff is usually in oxide diuranate form, added to a glass mix prior to melting. The proportion usually varies from trace levels to about 2% by weight uranium, although some 19th-century pieces were made with up to 25% uranium.

I know the stuff has been blown in the past, one of my pieces is a handblown sculpture, but can I get a blower to take an old piece of glass and remelt it into something new? Glass does work like that right? Has anyone ever blown with Uranium glass and has any useful info or tips? Is this stuff any real threat to the blower? Would it be possible to insert beads into hot glass?

Finally, what about some awesome ideas? I want something rugged, no small parts to break. The glass is green and will glow in the dark. I found star shaped beads and thought those on a flat black base would be really neat, maybe a little rocket. Or maybe a little nuclear power plant replica, gray glass with a cooling tower bowl lined with the glass! I don't think it would be as cool as it sounds.

Seems they are making he beads in Czech and they can be found really cheap, might be fun for rave jewelry.
Old 20-04-2011, 18:47
Silver Member

61 y/o Male from United States
fritzthecat is captain of the psychonauts.fritzthecat is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 66, Level: 1 Points: 66, Level: 1 Points: 66, Level: 1
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%
Re: Glass Blowing with Uranium Glass?

Duh...Is the glass radioactive ? Had to ask , sorry .

Can any of Uraniums salts be used ? For instance the nitrate ? One of friends brothers half-sisters cat came across some at a flea market . The flea on the cat said that Uranium Nitrate is used in sensors that measure pressure . Earthquake monitoring stuff . The crystal is placeed next to a photo sensor and is trigger when the crystal flashes . Interesting .
Old 20-04-2011, 22:00

50 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Pondlife must think in IUPACPondlife must think in IUPACPondlife must think in IUPACPondlife must think in IUPACPondlife must think in IUPACPondlife must think in IUPACPondlife must think in IUPACPondlife must think in IUPACPondlife must think in IUPACPondlife must think in IUPACPondlife must think in IUPAC
Points: 4,070, Level: 9 Points: 4,070, Level: 9 Points: 4,070, Level: 9
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzthecat View Post
Duh...Is the glass radioactive ?
Yes, but uranium is only weakly radioactive, and it's an alpha emitter which means the little radiation that it does produce will not penetrate the skin.

It can be pretty nasty if ingested though, because uranium is toxic.
Old 21-04-2011, 16:50
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from United States
jakeg is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

im a glassblower who uses a torch to melt the glass in a style known as flameworking. uranium glass was made in the past for both decorative and scientific applications. if the uranium glass is made with borosilicate glass(the kind pipes are made of) it is compatible with other types of borosilicate glass in both clear and color. supposedly working with this glass is not very harmful to the blower if used sparingly. several people i kno have used it in the past with no ill effects but some refuse to touch it. another interesting fact is that uranium borosilicate glass is no longer being made all the stock that is around in rods and tubing were made before ww2

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good job answering the OP, Welcome to the forum.
Old 21-04-2011, 17:13

Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute

Pondlife: Ingesting ANY form of glass is pretty harmful...

Jakeg: Is that true in Europe? I know there was the Uranium seizure during the Cold War, but I thought when that ended production started up. It seems like there has been a massive resurgence in availability at rather low prices, and I wouldn't put it past an Eastern European nuclear plant selling off DU to glass-makers.
Old 22-04-2011, 17:01
Silver Member

63 y/o Male from United States
Der Alte Kreiger is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 106, Level: 1 Points: 106, Level: 1 Points: 106, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

A friend of mines mom had a whole room devoted to showcases of depression glasse items that she called vaseline glass. Absolutly beautiful under the black light but just looked green and yellow under natural light. All I have ever seen needed the UV light to flouresce.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:50

22 y/o Male from United States
full_kiln is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1

uranium glass has the same radioactivity as cobalt glass which is basically all of the dark blue you see with todays borosilicate palette of color, here's a cool thing to make with it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7KnCE03VN8
Old 27-06-2011, 00:45
Silver Member

fritzthecat is captain of the psychonauts.fritzthecat is captain of the psychonauts.

Its been awhile for this thread...any more experiments with the "U" glass ? I've been saving broken cobalt glass for a while now . I must have about a kilogam . I didn't know it was radioactive . Interesting . I have a half baked idea to melt the glass in a huge bonfire hopefully into a mold . Now what to make is the question ? I like the idea of a cobalt blue smoking pipe that is heavy.
Old 27-06-2011, 01:28
Palladium Member

33 y/o Male from United States
trdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,537, Level: 12 Points: 7,537, Level: 12 Points: 7,537, Level: 12
Activity: 3.2% Activity: 3.2% Activity: 3.2%

Other than colors mixing together, there should be no reason you cannot "recycle" your old pipes and create your own masterpiece. I apologize if this has already been said, I skimmed it over.

I have no schooling on the subject, but I have spent many nights learning from someone who blows glass professionally both pipes and other art forms such as vases, Christmas ornaments, ect.....
Old 27-06-2011, 02:01
Banned

27 y/o Male from United States
Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.

My panda's friend has a set of uranium glass cups which he has been told are approx. 4% uranium by weight, but also have a large percentage of lead to help deaden the radioactivity. They glow greenish-yellowish under a UV light/lamp.

You could probably find a glass blower that would blow it for you into a pipe or whatever you want, but you'll want him to include a high percentage of lead into the blowing process in order to maintain a product that won't be significantly radioactive. The original uranium glass product is mildly radioactive, but uranium radiation poisoning takes several years to develop and the time it would take a glass blower to do his work on it would do no harm to him.

Still, the final product is not something I'd keep on my nightstand or have frequent contact with. Lol.
Old 27-06-2011, 02:07
Silver Member

Back in the 70's an old friend of mine acquired some orange Mexican pottery . For some reason he decided to do a geiger counter scan on it and it proved to be radioactive . He called the authorities back then and they said it wasn't their responsibility . So he buried the stuff...
Old 29-07-2011, 23:23

25 y/o Male from Canada
MBlivesinatree is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondlife View Post
Yes, but uranium is only weakly radioactive, and it's an alpha emitter which means the little radiation that it does produce will not penetrate the skin.

It can be pretty nasty if ingested though, because uranium is toxic.
Isn't alpha radiation super bad (as in lung cancer causing) for you if breathed in, and yet you're going to make a pipe out of it?? also mixing lead with something you're going to be smoking out , as some of the other posters were talking about, doesn't seem to be then best idea either. I can see maybe for something purely decorative like a vase maybe, though personally I still don't like the idea, but I wouldn't want uranium or lead in anything connected to putting any substance in or on my body.
Old 01-08-2011, 17:53
Silver Member

A photo of some Uranium glass would be good so we can ID pieces at sales .
Old 02-08-2011, 14:01
Gold Member

37 y/o Male from United Kingdom
corvardus must mainline Medlinecorvardus must mainline Medlinecorvardus must mainline Medlinecorvardus must mainline Medlinecorvardus must mainline Medlinecorvardus must mainline Medlinecorvardus must mainline Medlinecorvardus must mainline Medlinecorvardus must mainline Medlinecorvardus must mainline Medlinecorvardus must mainline Medline
Points: 2,551, Level: 7 Points: 2,551, Level: 7 Points: 2,551, Level: 7
Activity: 5.6% Activity: 5.6% Activity: 5.6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBlivesinatree View Post
Isn't alpha radiation super bad (as in lung cancer causing) for you if breathed in, and yet you're going to make a pipe out of it?? also mixing lead with something you're going to be smoking out , as some of the other posters were talking about, doesn't seem to be then best idea either. I can see maybe for something purely decorative like a vase maybe, though personally I still don't like the idea, but I wouldn't want uranium or lead in anything connected to putting any substance in or on my body.
Alpha particle radiation is, essentially, helium nucleus. Outside of fission it is one of the largest (in volume and mass) particles that can be consumed. Easy to stop on the dead skin cells, significantly more destructive (MeV ranges) in living cells.

You would be correct that it would increase the risk of cellular damage should it present itself to the squamous epithelia of the alveoli but there are more pressing radioactive events than uranium glass depending on where you live.

The half-life of uranium is measured in the life-age of the earth and the uranium isotopes are "locked" inside the crystal lattice of the glass you'll only have to contend with an alpha particle being emitted during smoking and even then the probability of that alpha particle even reaching the throat before it is absorbed by the particulates in the smoke would be low.

If you have a cluster of radionuclides you still have potentially trillions of atoms capable of emitting trillions of alpha particles and this is where the risk of cancer comes in. Not from a stray alpha particle wandering in through smoking.

The risk is during glass glowing where it can be conceivable that fine particulates of uranium glass could enter the lungs, but fortunately glass blowing tends to imply an outward motion of breath rather than sucking!

Lead is similar in this respect where the only realistic option for toxicity is where leaded glass has been kept in close proximity to a slightly acidic solution (i.e. wine) for years on end.

Smoking does not seem to suggest any significant hazard sans heating the glass to melting temperatures. It would be wise not to heat the pipe up to such levels anyway.

Quote:
A photo of some Uranium glass would be good so we can ID pieces at sales .
It tends to be yellow/green in colour but the best way to determine whether you have Uranium glass would be expose it to black light. It fluoresces into a nice stereotypical radioactive green.
Old 02-08-2011, 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBlivesinatree View Post
Colored glass always has weird metals in it. The trick is that the glass doesn't melt or even get touched by the fire at the low temperatures of use, your biggest danger is uneven heating and a crack, not vaporization of the particles; of which the molten glass would be as much a threat.

Ever have a really high quality champagne flute? One that sparked in the light, that was leaded glass, you'll live. You don't want to use glass or ceramics such as these to store food, transport your water, or cook all day in over an open fire, but as serving pieces, they are acceptable.
Quote:
Radioactive Red Fiestaware
Before 1943, the colorant was uranium oxide, with the uranium content being about 0.7% U-235 and the remainder U-238. Between 1943 and 1959 under license by the AEC, the Laughlin company begain producing a red glaze dinnerware. The colorant then used technical grade uranium U-308 with the uranium content being made up of about 0.2% U-235 and the remainder U-238.
In a study done at Perdue University, the radiation from the uranium oxide was measured. They calculated the exposure to the plates, bowls, and cups as if a person was holding a 13" chop plate strapped to their chest for twenty-four hours. This resulted in an exposure of twenty milliroentgens per day. Safe levels for humans working with radiation is twenty milliroentgens per day. In comparison,a dental x-ray produces 910 mR per film. Therefore, Radioactive red fiestaware is safe to use. Also, there is no danger from the fired-on glazes.
After a Televison station caused a scare in 1977, fiestaware was tested and the FDA reported that daily use of fiestaware for serving food does not pose a hazard. It did warn that to be on the safe side, food should not be stored on the dishes. Also, it concluded that the glaze or decal is no hazard.
Source
Old 07-08-2011, 21:52
Silver Member

Ive been saving all the broken cobalt blue glass I can get my hands on . I'd like to make a gass ball out of the glass by melting it into a mold .

Would Uranium nitrate color glass ? How do you test what kind of Uraium the nitrate is made of ?

Share this on:

Tags
bongs, drug, glass pipe, glassblowing, pipes

» New Threads
Need advice. HOw and when do you...
Last post by Cwb20022
3 Replies, 96 Views
I tried but it rough fear the...
Last post by tcttuck
51 Replies, 2,892 Views
Painful spot but no redness after...
Last post by BellTower72