Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > VARIOUS DRUG RELATED TOPICS > The euphoric body > Pharmacology
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Pharmacology How drugs affect the workings of the human body.

Old 14-04-2011, 18:49
Palladium Member

Male from United Kingdom
Synesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline Medline
Points: 5,823, Level: 11 Points: 5,823, Level: 11 Points: 5,823, Level: 11
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%
Drugs to raise your metabolism

My friend wants to decrease his body fat yet keep his muscle and has asked me to ask if there are any types of drugs that could increase his metabolism. Personally i'm not sure that increasing your metabolism by taking a drug is a healthy idea, would even be possible, or would even have the effects he desires; but he seems adamant that's what he needs. Suggestions?
Old 14-04-2011, 19:06
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Re: Drugs to raise your metabolism

I used to have good luck with Xenadrine, when it had ephedra in it. At least, I think it sped up/boosted my metabolism; that was my theory on it anyway. I've picked up various herbs listed as "ephedra" at my local herbal store after they took it out of Xenadrine & made my own gelcaps, with varying degrees of success. I should give it another try, actually.

I'm interesting in knowing if there are decent drugs to boost metabolism, I feel like if I could boost the metabolism a bit, it would give me a bit of a drive to keep up with it, if that makes sense?

Anyway, here's hoping to some answers.

~Kailey

Last edited by kailey_elise; 14-04-2011 at 19:08. Reason: double posting bullshit
Old 14-04-2011, 19:30
Banned

92 y/o Male from United States
Tony Williams is on the way upTony Williams is on the way upTony Williams is on the way up

Hi,

Well one option is a mild stimulant which would raise your cats, friends owners, sisters, pack of m&ms metabolism. I reckon things like Ritalin, Amphetamines would do this but Ephedrine is well known for doing this. To be honest though I would not buy into it, I aint sure but all the health points with Ephedrine would be true with stims in general? One thing I've read is Ephedrine is a VASODIALATOR which means that more blood can get to your muscles faster, which is odd as I've mostly read that stims cause VASOCONSTRICTION.

One thing for sure is these LEGAL ish drugs they always make out is a good healthy option to sell it. It's like with PHENITBUT, GBL - I believe they secreet stuff and GBL/GHB is a "growth hormone booster" (heh, G-H-B + growth hormone booster) but what about GABA drugs like Diaz wouldn't they share similar properties? I always wonder when you look for Ephedrine online from a shop site - they'll make claims - if Amphetamines were legal would they say it does x, x and x too? I aint knocking on he fact that drugs CAN have health benefits - just remember if you do it often and especially daily all these "health benifeits" go out the window and you get in return "health problems.". One thing I will say just because the SHOP said it or the SELLER doesn't make it true. Another thing that's true with LEGAL HIGHS is people on these boards/forums and Facebook groups will pedal fake reports on how good xxx chem is so it can be true to the extent where people pedal reports on health improvements, etc.

GHB/GBL has some health benifits when used to sleep - I've noticed WITH GBL sometimes my friend gets really good sleep but other times he is just groggy - which might be more of a rebound thing which is less true with GHB. My mate has lost alot of weight - mainly fat with GBL - he originally was into weight gain and doing some weights so it seemed a good idea but GBL became a 24/7 thing and he lost motivation and lacked the energy.

The honest truth? if you wanna ENJOY LIFE BETTER or if you wanna SLEEP BETTER or if you wanna EAT MORE or CONCENTRATE MORE or HAVE MORE ENERGY.

Then...... your friend really shouldn't be looking for a drug that's a "quick fix". Readup on foods that increase metabolism. One thing is Green Tea, it's well known for it - improve diet, sleep, etc

Recently my friend got into a habit and sadly still is of taking RITALIN per day. He got interested in stimulating himself of a day - he'd take ANIRACETAM and a coffee or tea and it was great. Then he tried Ritalin and DID notice an increase in energy of a day and he did get more done but guess what? he was using it daily. Overtime SWIMs appetite dropped so he wasn't really actually FULL of energy since it wasn't really there he was just using a drug to force it out and I think this could put alot of strain on SWIYS adrenal glands and might be damaging. Even if Caffeine, people drinking coffee for dinner and then not eating and they think it's a better weightloss option as it's DRINK OVER FOOD. it's NOT healthy, need energy - food/eat. I think you get what I am on about. SWIM will be out of Ritalin soon and will probs stay off it for awhile.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Some info slightly irrelivant but in general a good post

Last edited by Tony Williams; 14-04-2011 at 19:40.
Old 14-04-2011, 19:43
Banned

27 y/o Male from United States
Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.

Any stimulant, nicotine, caffeine, cocaine, amphetamine, methylphenidate, MDMA, etc, will all raise metabolism to different degrees.

Amphetamine significantly reduces not only the urge to eat food, but raises the metabolism drastically, leading to general weight loss amongst users.

The panda has some issues with constipation on his new SSRI, and has found that having a cigarette or two tends to "jump-start" things and move his metabolism into gear.

Taking a stimulant to raise metabolism and reduce hunger in order to lose weight can be useful, but it's not exactly considered "healthy", and you're not going to find many doctors willing to prescribe strong stims to someone simply for the purpose of boosting their metabolism, or for the purpose of weight loss, or both.

That said, Amphetamine and it's related compounds are highly effective in boosting metabolic function, by increasing heart rate, digestive process rate, blood pressure, and a variety of other factors. Every drug, is of course, a double edged blade though. One has to consider the addictive properties of all the drugs the panda just listed, among others.

Body fat, will of course, be burned off first before muscle mass, but if one wants to retain muscle mass while on a strong stimulant like amphetamine, you will HAVE to keep eating lean proteins; except that you will have no appetite to do so in the first place. Thus a catch-22 of sorts.

Very informative post.
very informative post!

Last edited by Roads; 14-04-2011 at 19:48.
Old 15-04-2011, 03:00
Silver Member

Male from United States
xJSL is captain of the psychonauts.xJSL is captain of the psychonauts.xJSL is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 515, Level: 3 Points: 515, Level: 3 Points: 515, Level: 3

Green tea extracts can help do this.
Old 20-04-2011, 09:05
Palladium Member

Male from United Kingdom
Synesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline Medline
Points: 5,823, Level: 11 Points: 5,823, Level: 11 Points: 5,823, Level: 11
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

Thanks for the replies.

I'm thinking of advising him to try some Ritalin as I can get this easily for him. I also have some Modafinil, but im not sure if this stimulant would help in this regard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roads View Post
has found that having a cigarette or two tends to "jump-start" things and move his metabolism into gear.
This reminds me of my stoner days. Like clockwork every morning I used to have a shottie (like a bong with plenty of tobacco) and this first morning one would make me need to go to the toilet every single morning. Then I would have a few more and get on with my day
Old 20-04-2011, 20:52
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

25 y/o Male from United States
Toolandi88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Check out Thyroid Hormones T3/T4 as well as, DNP (dinitrophenyl). It's what your looking for.
Old 21-04-2011, 05:40
Psychedelic Shepherdess

37 y/o Female from United Kingdom
Jatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 10,860, Level: 15 Points: 10,860, Level: 15 Points: 10,860, Level: 15
Activity: 6.8% Activity: 6.8% Activity: 6.8%

^^^ I would strongly recommend NOT messing about with Thyroid Hormones. Anxiety, Cardiovascular effects, including Tachyarrhythmia and unmasking of latent Ischaemic Heart Disease, not to mention the psychological effects (up to and including a frank Psychosis)

There's a life threatening medical emergency known as Thyroid Storm which you REALLY don't want to have, which includes all of the above, plus pulmonary oedema, profuse diarrhoea and profound diaphoresis (sweating), and cardiovascular instability. Took a woman to ITU with it only last month!

Useful safety input on the medical side.
Important info on the dangers of some of the suggestions in this thread!
Old 21-04-2011, 08:17
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from American Samoa
D3HT09 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1

I feel the need to speak up about the DNP suggestion above. Please, Please do not concider taking this stuff! It is very dangerous, and in some ways counterproductive to the OP's stated goals.

A short backstory on DNP- itls weight loss effects were originally discovered by accident. Munition makers who were working with this stuff, literally found themselves wasting away. DNP is an ATP uncoupler, that basically makes the energy cycle in living creatures less effecient. Sounds great right? Expend signifgantly more energy than one is taking in, without all of that pesky exersise, and work. There is of course a catch (multiple actually). That inneficient energy usage has to comeout. In some way, and that way is heat, a
nd lots of it. The main causes of death from DNP usage stem from inability to manage body heat. Also, this chemical is known to have a cumulative effect, as it builds up over time. It is very easy to overdose in this regard. Also users have reported that the stuff is awful to work with. It is described as a yellowy substance that dyes everything it comes in contact with. People have even stated thatone's sweat gets tinged yellow, and many shirts and bedsheets have been thrown away as a result! Please do some google searches on this stuff. Multiple deaths reported at worst, and really miserable experiences for most. Oh, and as a side note, one's body will catabolize muscle just as easily as fat on this stuff. Bad news all around.

Thanks for increasing the information in this thread to prevent people from taking REALLY BAD substances!
Thanks for contributing this info
Old 21-04-2011, 16:37
Gold Member

kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3HT09 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolandi88 View Post
Check out Thyroid Hormones T3/T4 as well as, DNP (dinitrophenyl).
I feel the need to speak up about the DNP suggestion above. Please, Please do not concider taking this stuff! It is very dangerous, and in some ways counterproductive to the OP's stated goals...Expend signifgantly more energy than one is taking in, without all of that pesky exersise, and work. There is of course a catch (multiple actually). That inneficient energy usage has to comeout. In some way, and that way is heat, and lots of it. The main causes of death from DNP usage stem from inability to manage body heat.
Interesting. Could the suggestion of using thyroid hormones with the DNP be to try to regulate temperature? No matter what, it sounds like a supremely bad idea - I mean, what's wrong with a good ol' fashioned EC(A) Stack?

Our good buddies at the people's encyclopedia have this to say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
2,4-Dinitrophenol (DNP), C6H4N2O5, is a cellular metabolic poison. It uncouples oxidative phosphorylation by carrying protons across the mitochondrial membrane, leading to a rapid consumption of energy without generation of ATP.
Now, I know *anything* can be a poison in the "correct" dose, but when that's the lede on Wiki for a substance...it doesn't sound like anything I'd ever want to fuck with. And certainly not for just a metabolism boost! It sounds like I might be better off trying to make my own methamphetamine than handling/taking this stuff, but maybe that's me.

They also mention (as D3HT09 does above): "Interestingly, the factor that limits ever-increasing doses of DNP is not a lack of ATP energy production, but rather an excessive rise in body temperature due to the heat produced during uncoupling. Accordingly, DNP overdose will cause fatal hyperthermia...(c)oncerns about dangerous side-effects and rapidly developing cataracts resulted in DNP being discontinued in the United States by the end of 1938."

So, one would be a hot mess, literally, & what's so great about having no body fat if you can't see yourself in the mirror? Since this chem seemingly hasn't been updated since 1938, I'm gonna go out on a limb & say that other, better, safer ways of accomplishing the same thing have been developed since.

Oh, one last thing: "DNP is considered an important environmental contaminant by the US EPA. It has been found in 61 of 1400 priority sites that need clean-up of industrial waste." Yummy!

What about an EC(A) Stack? There are sites a'plenty detailing different strategies; ephedrine is easily available over the counter (in the USA at least; it's also available online) in the form of Bronkaid (ephedrine sulphate) or Primatene Tablets (ephedrine hcl <--apparently preferred. Make sure it's the TABLETS, as the Primatene Mist inhaler is adrenaline, heh; also available in generic at many pharmacies); caffeine as No-Doz, Vivarin, or the many generic store versions. The "aspirin" part of the ECA Stack has seemingly been decided to be unneeded & potentially dangerous, I guess? But if you want to still take the A, it's recommended to take the little baby/heart attack ones. Oh, & the E & C apparently work together WAAAAAY better than either alone. *shrug* So maybe a little research in that area could work?

I was about to start an EC Stack, as soon as I got some money, but then my pdoc started me on Welbutrin (buproprion) yesterday, so now I don't know how safe it would be to do. *hrphm* Any one with ideas on trying an EC Stack on top of Welbutrin? It would be a while before I could start the stack anyway (2 weeks or so), and the Welbutrin is allegedly "activating" & is a stimulant (sort of) itself, so maybe it'll suppress my appetite a bit itself. I don't know how long that effect might last, nor do I know if the Welbutrin will do fuckall for my metabolism, either. *sigh*

~Kailey
Old 22-04-2011, 11:41
Titanium Member

27 y/o Male from England
psychedelaholic must live here.psychedelaholic must live here.psychedelaholic must live here.psychedelaholic must live here.psychedelaholic must live here.psychedelaholic must live here.psychedelaholic must live here.psychedelaholic must live here.
Points: 1,865, Level: 6 Points: 1,865, Level: 6 Points: 1,865, Level: 6
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

Easiest way to boost metabolism without drugs is to have 500mg vitamin C, with a pint of water and decent breakfast every morning. Speeds metabolism up and keeps you full until lunch time so you don't snack. Chillies and good as well, you can get pills made with pure capsicum.

Although the easiest way, but by far from the healthiest, is to develope a love a drum n bass and go raving every weekend. I lost 3.5 stone (20kg) in under a year which was all fat, when I started uni simply from raving 3-5 times a month. Although I dropped to 10 stone (I'm 5'10") which was too far, but it wasn't actually my intention at all, just happened without me really noticing. I took lots of speed, pills and mdma so could dance for 8-10hours and would then not eat for at least a day or 2 after. So definitely not a healthy way to do it but it's very effective. I had little muscle mass though, I have now put back on a 1.5stone in mainly muscle which was shit loads harder then loosing the fat.

Last edited by psychedelaholic; 22-04-2011 at 11:47.
Old 22-04-2011, 12:51
Iridium Member

Male from Belgium
FrankenChrist really adds to the discussion.FrankenChrist really adds to the discussion.FrankenChrist really adds to the discussion.FrankenChrist really adds to the discussion.FrankenChrist really adds to the discussion.FrankenChrist really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,182, Level: 5 Points: 1,182, Level: 5 Points: 1,182, Level: 5

Look up "low carb diet" instead. Combined with moderate cardio and resistance machines, I lost 6 kg in a month, coming from 80. I am even beginning to see the onset of a visible sixpack.

Don't go overboard though, instead of all those carbohydrates, you'll be eating loads more proteins, which in the long run is not good for your kidneys. However, you get to eat more fat than you would believe.

I don't like being nervous or sweating too much, so I avoid stackers and stick with green tea and coffee, in moderation.

I've seen L-carnitin praised as a fat loss supplement and have tried it in pill form and in sports drinks. I can't tell if it helped or if I would have lost that fat without this supplement anyway. Does anyone else have experiences with L-carnitin?

Last edited by FrankenChrist; 25-04-2011 at 08:45. Reason: unneccesary Swimming
Old 22-04-2011, 12:57
Gold Member

43 y/o Male from United Kingdom
jon-q must mainline Medlinejon-q must mainline Medlinejon-q must mainline Medlinejon-q must mainline Medlinejon-q must mainline Medlinejon-q must mainline Medlinejon-q must mainline Medlinejon-q must mainline Medlinejon-q must mainline Medlinejon-q must mainline Medlinejon-q must mainline Medline
Points: 3,676, Level: 9 Points: 3,676, Level: 9 Points: 3,676, Level: 9

Hi, im surprised nobody has mentioned caffeine, i found this info whilst looking in to another topic.

Biology Online reports that caffeine is 99 percent absorbed by the body within 45 minutes of consumption. However, despite its popularity as a metabolic booster, the results are mixed, according to the "Journal of Applied Physiology."
While some studies claim caffeine can boost performance and metabolism, other studies show no effects, such as a project featured in "The Journal of Physiology" which showed that caffeine had no effect on carbohydrate and fat metabolism.

Other sources claim Caffeine speeds up the metabolism in the human body by about 10-30%.

It would appear some people get good results in speeding up their metabolism with caffeine and others do not.

Q

Edit : Somebody did mention Caffeine...
Old 22-04-2011, 13:29
Gold Member

Yeah, and so did I - it's a major component of the EC Stack; it's alleged that ephedrine & caffeine synergizes in a way that makes the combo far more than the sum of it's parts.

For now, I'm sticking to caffeine alone, since I started Welbutrin (buproprion) 3 days ago. The caffeine is tolerated a LOT better with the Welbutrin in my system than on it's own. I've not been as hungry & not craving nearly as many sweets, which is surprising since I'm experiencing my menses right now. But hey, whatever works, right??

Personally, I already eat low-carb; well, low grain products - I still consume veggies which I guess are technically carbs as well. But grains plump me up like no one's business; I even had to cut out oatmeal & Cream of Wheat. *sniffle* Now I stick to full-fat yogurt for breakfast (half a listed serving; they list a serving as a cup - that's a LOT of yogurt & I don't even want that much!).

I still don't know if this is boosting my metabolism, though. :/

~Kailey
Old 24-04-2011, 22:14
Chem|EB|DMT

Male from Earth
Gradient is a true resource and beyond reputeGradient is a true resource and beyond reputeGradient is a true resource and beyond reputeGradient is a true resource and beyond reputeGradient is a true resource and beyond reputeGradient is a true resource and beyond reputeGradient is a true resource and beyond reputeGradient is a true resource and beyond reputeGradient is a true resource and beyond reputeGradient is a true resource and beyond reputeGradient is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 12,588, Level: 16 Points: 12,588, Level: 16 Points: 12,588, Level: 16
Activity: 10.3% Activity: 10.3% Activity: 10.3%

It seems to me that your goal isn't necessarily to raise metabolism so much as enhance lipolysis and prevent muscular catabolism; burn fat and prevent muscular breakdown. Without getting into what exactly each of those things are, some research does exist on supplements promoting lipolysis specifically. Here's some bits & pieces:

L-carnitine:

This supplement is in pretty much ever single supplement I've seen marketed for enhanced fat-burning through exercise. Fortunately, there's some research to back up its efficacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-carnitine stimulates lipolysis via induction of the lipolytic gene expression and suppression of the adipogenic gene expression in 3T3-L1 adipocytes.
The mRNA levels of hormone-sensitive lipase, carnitine palmitoyltransferase I-a, and acyl-coenzyme A oxidase, all of which participate in lipid catabolism, were increased in the presence of 100 nM L-carnitine by 2.8-, 2.2-, and 1.6-fold, respectively (P < .05). However, the expression of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma and adipose-specific fatty acid-binding protein, which are involved in adipogenesis, were down-regulated by L-carnitine in 3T3-L1 adipocytes (P < .05). These results suggest an anti-obesity action of L-carnitine. L-carnitine may modulate lipid metabolism by stimulation of lipolysis and beta-oxidation accompanied by corresponding changes in gene expression and suppression of adipogenic gene expression
In other words, not only does L-carnitine appear to up-regulate expression of biochemical factors that modulate lipid catabolism (fat burning) - but also down-regulates factors modulating adipogenesis (fat storage). This is easy to get, and seems pretty harmless.

Histidine:

An essential amino acid, this is another component of some fat burning products. Like L-carnitine, there's some research to back up its use in lipolysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Histidine induces lipolysis through sympathetic nerve in white adipose tissue.
Concomitantly, the administration of histidine increased the serum concentration of free fatty acid compared to control treatment (P < 0.05). The accelerating effects of histidine on lipolysis were mimicked by the infusion of 10(2) nmol rat(-1) L-histamine into the third cerebroventricle (P < 0.05). Electrophysiological measurement demonstrated that administration of histidine at a dosage of 0.35 mmol kg(-1) increased the activity of efferent sympathetic nerve, innervating adipose tissue more than the infusion of phosphate buffered saline (P < 0.05).
CONCLUSION:
The present results indicate that histidine accelerates lipolysis in white adipose tissue through activation of the sympathetic nerve. The regulation of lipolysis may therefore involve histamine neurons in the brain, probably through the conversion of L-histidine to histamine in the hypothalamus.
It's important to note that histidine was not administered orally in this study, and so the utility of supplementing your diet with histidine to enhance lipolysis is not exactly firmly established.

Everyone that's suggested caffeine is absolutely correct; xanthines in general have been identified as enhancing lipolysis via noradrenergic stimulation relative to their potency as adenosine antagonists. So caffeine is something to consider, along with theobromine.

Yohimbine:

Similar to the xanthines, yohimbine appears to elevate lipid mobilization via a noradrenergic route. It's relevant to note that yohimbine also increases insulin release, which may potentially reduce overall GH activity if used at the wrong times. Here's a snippet of an abstract:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermogenic and lipolytic effect of [AUTOLINK
yohimbine[/AUTOLINK] in the dog
Studies were undertaken in the dog in order to evaluate the effects of oral yohimbine administration (alpha 2-adrenoceptor antagonist) on heat production, metabolic, endocrinological and cardiovascular parameters. 2. Acute oral yohimbine (0.25 or 0.40 mg kg-1) provoked an increase in plasma non-esterified fatty acids. The drug increased sympathetic nervous system activity as indicated by the increased level of plasma noradrenaline. These effects persisted during the entire experimental period (4 h). The increase in plasma noradrenaline level was two fold higher with the higher dose of yohimbine (0.4 mg kg-1). The plasma adrenaline level was increased only with the higher dose. 3. Yohimbine transiently increased plasma insulin and the effect was dose-dependent. 4. Yohimbine (0.25 mg kg-1) enhanced heart rate and arterial blood pressure. 5. The effect of yohimbine on oxygen consumption, carbon dioxide and heat production was determined by indirect calorimetry. The drug (0.25 mg kg-1) increased O2 consumption and CO2 and heat production 30 min after its administration and the effect persisted over the experimental period[/quote]

While perusing pubmed, I was surprised to see a study performed on a specific product by VPX called Meltdown. It's a stack of several supplements, including caffeine, alpha-MTTA, yerba mate, cAMP, phenethylamine, and yohimbine - along with some others I didn't recognize. Here's a snippet from the paper:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effect of the dietary supplement Meltdown on catecholamine secretion, markers of lipolysis, and metabolic rate in men and women: a randomized, placebo controlled, cross-over study
Ingestion of Meltdown results in an increase in catecholamine secretion, lipolysis, and metabolic rate in young men and women, with a similar response for both sexes. Meltdown may prove to be an effective intervention strategy for fat loss, assuming individuals are normotensive and their treatment is monitored by a qualified health care professional.
I can't speak to the efficacy of this product, but I'm frankly surprised to see a study performed by a university on its efficacy. Must admit that I'm always skeptical of such studies, as I find it odd that any independent research team would elect to study a retail stack rather than its component supplements.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I'm compelled to stress that diet is really central to maintaining muscle mass while burning fat. Counterintuitively, one should NOT stop eating fat if the goal is to cut weight while maintaining muscle mass - but getting into that is somewhat beyond the topic of this thread. At the very least, the standard for maintaining muscle mass is to consume 1g of protein for every pound of bodyweight. You might also consider looking into the exercise routine known as High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).

Great informative post. Good effort!
valuable scientific info
Old 04-07-2011, 04:51
Banned

29 y/o Male from United States
gotshakes needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

General rules about weight loss with stimulants: the stronger the substance the faster the weight comes off INITIALLY, and the faster the weight RETURNS after stopping (like using amphetamines), versus the weaker ones will make you lose weight slower but steadier, and you are more likely to keep it off (caffeine).

Orlistat is a drug that makes you not absorb fats, works amazingly but has the side effect of giving you terrible diarrhea if you eat fatty foods (same thing happens to people who are lactose intolerant and drink milk). A great drug if you can't stop yourself from eating and don't mind the side effects.

My best advice to a quick and lasting weight loss would be this. Buy caffeine pills and split them in half, take half in the morning (100mg) with an omega 3 fatty acid pill and oatmeal for breakfast. Then go exercise. Take the other half of your caffeine pill half an hour before lunch and then eat a slightly reduced portion from your normal (the caffeine will help with that). Also take another omega 3 pill. Eat a normal dinner, and if possible, exercise again sometime during the day. If you maintain this you will loose weight. simple.

--Kailey, I'd say taking the welbutrin with ephedra would not be a good idea, they both work on the same thing and it would basically be like taking a bunch of amphetamines. Probly safe with caffeine though as long as its only a cup or 2 a day of coffee (200mg or less). Oh and i've heard some raw veggies are good cuz it takes more energy to digest them than you get from them (like raw carrots for example), you could check those out since veggies in general are good.

Everyone should think of ephedra as exactly the same thing as amphetamines, except that ephedra doesn't get into the brain (very much) so you don't get a head trip.

Nicotine is a great weight loss thing too, but NEVER SMOKE. If you wanna use nicotine, go to a store and buy dry snuff (you can snort it or make tea with it). It STILL CAUSES CANCER, but less risky and harder to get AS addicted when not smoking. and its freaking potent so start with a tiny amount in tea or snorting cuz people have OD'd in the past from them.

gotshakes added 259 Minutes and 23 Seconds later...

and if your hardcore Pinus armandii. It gives you a metallic taste for about 3 weeks at a time and that is bad enough to make you not want to eat. Don't know if it's safe though, it's only ever been an accident, and the treatment is making sure they eat. Anyone heard of this before?
kind of my idea

Last edited by gotshakes; 04-07-2011 at 04:51. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 28-07-2011, 05:20
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from United States
Ayuvuz is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 134, Level: 1 Points: 134, Level: 1 Points: 134, Level: 1

I've found that ginseng formulations aimed to "support the adrenal glands" (the quoted statement may be nonsense, but those products tend to have high quality herbs in effective combinations) combined with mucuna pruriens extract and rhodiola rosea extract taken on a daily basis alongside the elimination of ALL processed sugar (fruits are fine) has been a good, safe, inexpensive way to maintain/gain muscle mass and lose fat.

Last edited by Ayuvuz; 28-07-2011 at 05:21. Reason: grammar
Old 28-07-2011, 20:28
Iridium Member

Male from Belgium
FrankenChrist really adds to the discussion.FrankenChrist really adds to the discussion.FrankenChrist really adds to the discussion.FrankenChrist really adds to the discussion.FrankenChrist really adds to the discussion.FrankenChrist really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,182, Level: 5 Points: 1,182, Level: 5 Points: 1,182, Level: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayuvuz View Post
I've found that ginseng formulations aimed to "support the adrenal glands" (the quoted statement may be nonsense, but those products tend to have high quality herbs in effective combinations) combined with mucuna pruriens extract and rhodiola rosea extract taken on a daily basis alongside the elimination of ALL processed sugar (fruits are fine) has been a good, safe, inexpensive way to maintain/gain muscle mass and lose fat.
Mucuna pruriens is described as "90 % L-dopa" on the label of this one before-bed supplement that I use.

Share this on: