Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Ethnobotanicals
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Ethnobotanicals Psychedelic plants, Iboga, Calea, Blue lotus, Ephedra, Sinicuichi, Betel nut, etc.

Old 12-04-2011, 16:21

24 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Stoner450 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Is smoking damiana anything like smoking weed?

Hi, I have recently been told about damiana and my mate says its a bit like smoking weed. I was wondering if anyone who has tried it before could tell me what its like and if it is in fact a alternative to weed?
Old 12-04-2011, 17:32
Platinum Member & Advisor

34 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,286, Level: 20 Points: 19,286, Level: 20 Points: 19,286, Level: 20
Activity: 59.3% Activity: 59.3% Activity: 59.3%
Re: Is smoking damiana anything like smoking weed?

no, it isn't anywhere near as good as smoking good weed, though it is interesting and worth doing while wandering around the woods or soemthing, not so much for playing video-games. A colleague of mine used to refer to Damiana as a "Third-Eye lubricant"

Post Quality Evaluations:
I will remember this accurate little hint. Thank you.
Old 12-04-2011, 17:45
Titanium Member

27 y/o Male from England
psychedelaholic must live here.psychedelaholic must live here.psychedelaholic must live here.psychedelaholic must live here.psychedelaholic must live here.psychedelaholic must live here.psychedelaholic must live here.psychedelaholic must live here.
Points: 1,865, Level: 6 Points: 1,865, Level: 6 Points: 1,865, Level: 6
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

I've tried smoking it quite a few times and never really felt much at all, maybe a slight feeling of relaxation but nothing that tangible. Is good as a mixer with weed instead of tobacco or as a base to apply synthetic cannabinoids to but that's it in my opinion.

Last edited by psychedelaholic; 12-04-2011 at 20:36.
Old 12-04-2011, 17:50
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from United States
FreeBliss is a decent psychonaut.FreeBliss is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%

Maybe your friend is smoking that "herbal incense" Which says damania on the label but is laced with a synthetic cannabinoid. Its not the damania that feels like weed its the cannabinoid its laced with.

Nice of you to point this out!
Old 24-04-2011, 15:42
Silver Member

29 y/o Male from United States
Dr. X is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter View Post
no, it isn't anywhere near as good as smoking good weed, though it is interesting and worth doing while wandering around the woods or soemthing, not so much for playing video-games. A colleague of mine used to refer to Damiana as a "Third-Eye lubricant"
so is it a more psychedelic experience than weed?
Old 25-04-2011, 02:08

Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute

No, it's not at all comparable, hardly quantifiable, subtle, most people would be disappointed. Worth trying, makes a good mixer for weed, and it's cheap, so no big deal.

I've heard rumors that there's people who bake damiana brownies that are NOT to be trifled with, I think large oral dosing might be worth exploring.
Old 25-04-2011, 02:22
Banned

Male from Mexico
Killa Weigha is on the way upKilla Weigha is on the way upKilla Weigha is on the way up

No, but smoking weed is EXACTLY like smoking weed. If you want to do something that is like smoking weed, smoke weed. That's why they do not call it weed and call it Damiana. Do research before you ask questions. Nothing except weed is like smoking weed no matter what anyone tells you. How could anyone think anything else could capture the 100's of different substances present in weed? Again, no. If you're getting piss tested you have to wait until it's over before you get a weed high. End of. Don't listen to anyone''s BS. Word would spread like wildfire if it were so. It hasn't, it isn't. Good luck.

Not everyone can smoke weed.
Old 25-04-2011, 04:44
Titanium Member

Male from Earth
Lethargy really adds to the discussion.Lethargy really adds to the discussion.Lethargy really adds to the discussion.Lethargy really adds to the discussion.Lethargy really adds to the discussion.Lethargy really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,245, Level: 5 Points: 1,245, Level: 5 Points: 1,245, Level: 5

Ours and our various friends' experiences with damiana (tea, herbal smoking blends) compared with how our friends describe cannabis lead us to believe the two not at all alike.

Damiana seems (summarizing from several people here) to have a gentle calming feeling of acceptance/receptivity. Very subtle. Cannabis rarely has such subtle effects except in low doses.

FWIW, a good friend of ours mixes 50/50 an herbal smoking blend (mostly damiana, with other assorted herbs) with cannabis and says it helps her stretch her "stash".
Old 27-04-2011, 15:03
Silver Member

30 y/o Male from Canada
nobbieq is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Not at all the same. As people have said here, it's very subtle. It can be a good mixer for weed instead of tobacco but one thing ppl haven't mentioned here is that damiana tastes like shit so I don't even think the subtle high is worth it
Old 27-04-2011, 21:30
rawbeer rawbeer is nu online
Palladium Member

34 y/o Male from United States
rawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 3,431, Level: 8 Points: 3,431, Level: 8 Points: 3,431, Level: 8
Activity: 4.0% Activity: 4.0% Activity: 4.0%

No, but smoking weed is EXACTLY like smoking weed

I love this quote. Too many people bash drugs for not being similar in feeling or intensity to weed. People claim kava is placebo! Placebo doesn't make me fall over, I can assure you. Or people try to smoke kava, or kratom, and bitch when it doesn't get them high.

Damiana tastes very nice to smoke. Beyond that it does very little. I once made a tincture of damaina that smelled nice but didn't taste very good or do much. It did have an interesting muddy louche. It can be used as a flavoring in liquors with success, however, like that Mexican stuff I can't recall the name of.

Damiana brownies sounds interesting. Hmmm....
Old 25-06-2011, 00:58

I take back my previous statements, I seem to have had nothing but exceptionally poor quality damiana for many years.

I was going somewhere with this but am frankly stoned like a disobedient child.*

I used to use this stuff all the time, it was tasty, but never more then a blending agent, or something to put in a pipe to pass some time.

Been years since I sat down with a bowl of this stuff. I got some for an experiemnt with brownies for a party tomorrow and today I was thinking "It does smell awful nice" so I figured I should take a toke.

Real heady buzz, relaxing, giggly, euphoric, like a decent quality pot (from what I am led to understand). Not that there is much justification for these effects, the stuff's chemistry isn't exactly screaming "Smoke Me!" But fuck if I knew where my keys are right now, or what these wiggly things attached to my hand are.

And no, this isn't incense, or in any way contaminated with real drugs, it was bought from a public herb shop of good repute and the price was what one would expect of a normal cooking spice.

I don't know what to tell ya'll, cause I don't really believe what I'm typing either.

*Deuteronomy 21:18-21

excellent revelation about damiana! great addition
Old 25-06-2011, 01:42
Titanium Member

Female from USA - Texas
alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 1,123, Level: 5 Points: 1,123, Level: 5 Points: 1,123, Level: 5

Quote:
Been years since I sat down with a bowl of this stuff. I got some for an experiemnt with brownies for a party tomorrow and today I was thinking "It does smell awful nice" so I figured I should take a toke.

Real heady buzz, relaxing, giggly, euphoric, like a decent quality pot (from what I am led to understand). Not that there is much justification for these effects, the stuff's chemistry isn't exactly screaming "Smoke Me!" But fuck if I knew where my keys are right now, or what these wiggly things attached to my hand are.

And no, this isn't incense, or in any way contaminated with real drugs, it was bought from a public herb shop of good repute and the price was what one would expect of a normal cooking spice.

I don't know what to tell ya'll, cause I don't really believe what I'm typing either.
How much did you smoke? How fast? What did you smoke it out of? I am unable to smoke marijuana in this state, so I am just wondering what legal options I have. Nothing is like smoking weed aside from smoking weed... nothing is like being on probation like being on probation either lols

I really dislike alcohol and miss the tactility of pot culture.
Old 25-06-2011, 02:31
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Wayne Brady is on the way upWayne Brady is on the way upWayne Brady is on the way up
Points: 443, Level: 3 Points: 443, Level: 3 Points: 443, Level: 3

@Potter Maybe some "super-strain" that has a very high whatever-is-in-damiana content?

Swim uses it for JWH infusion and has tried smoking just the damiana from a few different places. He has never really gotten anything from it. It is a nice smoke though in his opinion. SWIM isn't real big on tobacco.

@Killa Weigha
The name of the thread is "Is smoking damiana anything like smoking weed?" Anything being the key word to my point. I'm not trying to be rude in any way at all. You are absolutely right in saying that nothing is exactly like smoking weed. My point is SWIM tells me it is also true that smoking one strain of weed is never exactly like smoking another. In fact it can apparently be very different. He would even go so far as to say that some of the new indole alkaloids, especially blended in just the right proportions, come very close (JWH-210 and JWH-081 are his favorites.) Admittedly, it's been awhile since he has gotten to indulge in real MJ. However, many of his friends that have tried the blends, that do smoke herb, say that he has gotten very close. Again, no disrespect at all, I know what you are saying. Maybe SWIM is just disgruntled he can't smoke and it has rubbed off on me haha

Sorry for hi-jacking Stoner450

Brownies do sound nice guys, especially if one had the same connection as Potter haha.

Last edited by Wayne Brady; 25-06-2011 at 02:40. Reason: too slow and wordy to use ^^^^'s haha
Old 28-09-2011, 15:56

22 y/o Male from Portugal
borges1120 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1

Hi there.
I'm thinking about buy some damiana from an online source.. Do you recommend? Or do you think it is waste of money? I dont believe that i will stay really high, but does it taste good? Do you feel anything? I only smoke hash. Weed is very rare..

Last edited by MrG; 10-10-2011 at 10:12.
Old 28-09-2011, 16:23
Nomen est Omen

51 y/o Male from USA - Colorado
St Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline Medline
Points: 5,248, Level: 10 Points: 5,248, Level: 10 Points: 5,248, Level: 10
Activity: 15.6% Activity: 15.6% Activity: 15.6%

The leaf contains 0.2-0.9 % volatile oil, 14% resin, approximately 3.5 % tannin, 6 % starch, and a bitter substance called Damianian.

Primary effects are mild aphrodisiac and marijuana-like euphoria, lasting about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Excessive long-term use can be toxic to the liver.

Here is an excellent blend of herbal smoke:
4 parts damiana leaf
4 parts scullcap herb
1/2 part lobelia herb
4 parts passionflower herb
1 part spearmint leaf

Smoke in a waterpipe, as the lobelia tastes quite nasty by itself!

@ Potter- a fine recipe for an aphrodisiacal cordial of damiana.

Soak 1 ounce of damiana leaves in 1 pint of vodka for 5 days. Pour off the liquid, strain, and filter through a conical paper coffee filter. Soak remaining alcohol-drenched leaves in 3/4 pint of distilled or spring water for another 5 days. Pour off liquids, strain and filter as before. Warm water extracts to 160 degrees F. and dissolve in 3/4 to 1 cup of raw honey. Combine aqueous and alcoholic extractions. Age for 1 month. During the aging, a sediment will form as the liqueur clarifies. The sediment is harmless, but you may wish to siphon the clear liqueur from it. For best results, take 1 or 2 cordial glasses nightly. The taste is exquisite! (in my opinion!) This can also be used in combination with Saw Palmetto berries in a 1:1 ratio.
Old 28-09-2011, 17:50

Male from United States
jackiesbaby should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 781, Level: 4 Points: 781, Level: 4 Points: 781, Level: 4

Only real effect Damiana has when not laced with synthetic cannabinoids or whatever else is being a mild aphordesiac.
Old 29-09-2011, 04:55
Silver Member

Male from United States
V3TR is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 106, Level: 1 Points: 106, Level: 1 Points: 106, Level: 1
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%

Hmm tranger has experienced it a few times he always fealt it was in general similar in feeling to an MAOI And aphrodisiac. He even mixed it with MAOI(s) like St. Johns Wart and Passionflower for good results and improved effect. Tranger even tried it in Ahahuasa with the two plants above, Damania, small amount of datura, yarrow, and a small amount of wormwood, and finally P. Verdis. It was a great success for tranger and he had a deep extistencial, meaning full trip that lasted a good 6 aprox. hours.
Old 09-10-2011, 22:01
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom
p$2 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 130, Level: 1 Points: 130, Level: 1 Points: 130, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

swip$ experience smoking damiana as a kind of vaugly ecstasy-like euphoria with short duration, peaking just after the hit and lingering for maybe 5 minutes. nothing like the duration of cannabis (which one could look upon as good or bad depending on one's perspective) but quite lovely still the same. Indeed it has been said that damiana stimulates the libido and sexuality. For the hit smoke it in a pipe or a bong, if looking for a substitute cigarette to give up tobacco then feel free to roll it up all day long.
Old 15-09-2012, 01:29

Female from Earth
Niandra is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1

Quote:
(...)

*Deuteronomy 21:18-21
This brownie thing sounds really intriguing! Could you please post the recipe?
Old 16-01-2013, 08:09

Female from Australia
PlanNoLay is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

Late to the party, but damiana has pretty well zero effect on some people. Others may say they feel some relaxation from it. Guess that comes down to sensitivity, expectation and tolerance.

Damiana is an excellent mixer, especially for those hoping to avoid dangerous drugs like nicotine.
Old 16-01-2013, 11:29

Female from Earth
Niandra is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanNoLay View Post
Late to the party, but damiana has pretty well zero effect on some people. Others may say they feel some relaxation from it. Guess that comes down to sensitivity, expectation and tolerance.

Damiana is an excellent mixer, especially for those hoping to avoid dangerous drugs like nicotine.
Yes, Damiana is very good as a mixer. Anyway, I am pretty sensitive to it alone too. When brewed as a tea I find it more effective, giving me an aphrodisiac effect and a mild euphoric-relaxed mood.

I also like smoking it, even though in this way it is much milder to me, or at least I get it more as an instant pleasant "kind-of-rush" and then anything really lasting. I need to smoke a ton of joints to have a better effect in terms of duration.

The taste is pleasant in both cases (tea and joint), that's why I keep on smoking it anyway every now and then. Plus, I like the kind-of-rush effect when I'm on other stuff.
Old 20-01-2013, 06:46
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Female from Australia
MsPoppy is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1

I have been smoking Damiana and making Damiana tea for about a year now. I really love the relaxed, sedating effects of it. I don't find it to be more or less unpleasent than smoking other herbs but I know this is very subjective. I don' t smoke it during the day because of its sedating qualities (99% of the time I just want to go to sleep). It is ( as mentioned above) very different from smoking weed. The effect of Damiana only lasts an hour for me, intensely, and then another hour of mild relaxation. Weed, depending on the strength, can get you quite stoned for at least a few hours. I never experienced the same head trippyness of weed when smoking Damiana ( that is not a good description, maybe dissociation is better). I stopped smoking weed about 16 years ago (after using daily for 6 years). Because of Damiana's effects I only smoke a cone or two to get to sleep if I'm having problems drifting off. For me there doesn't seem to be any addictive quality to it that I found there was with weed. I have discovered a very nice mix of herbs that improve that sleepiness effect, Damiana, coltsfoot, lobelia and water lily. I suffer from insomnia and am prescribed quite a few sleeping pills, it's nice to have an alternative so that I can lower my dose as I know the sleepers are doing me damage. I don't smoke often, maybe once or twice a week, but it's awesome to have around when I just can't get to sleep. This is very different from the way I used to use pot. I would use it after a stressful day to forget or go out and have a trippy/stoned experience (ie. have you ever seen Apocolypse Now while completely bent? Lols). I was way more functional on weed than I am on Damiana.
Hope no one minds the rambling post.
Take care everybody

Thanks for sharing your experience and for a well-written, topical post.

Last edited by MsPoppy; 20-01-2013 at 06:49. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 15-02-2013, 23:31
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Boltzmann must live here.Boltzmann must live here.Boltzmann must live here.Boltzmann must live here.Boltzmann must live here.Boltzmann must live here.Boltzmann must live here.
Points: 1,012, Level: 4 Points: 1,012, Level: 4 Points: 1,012, Level: 4
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%

I have little to no experience with weed or cannabinoids. However, I find vaporizing damiana very enjoyable. The smell is wonderful in my opinion. I've sometimes just used it for aromatherapy - and that's possibly all I'm really benefiting from, even. I don't care. Dirt cheap, good-smelling, nice-feeling, and something to do with my hands. Since I'm not smoking anything, I have a feeling it's good for my lungs to breathe in heavily.

Share this on:

Tags
am-2201, cannabis, damiana, drugs forum, legal alternative, marijuana alternatives