Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Tramadol
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 04-04-2011, 20:58
RoboCodeine7610 RoboCodeine7610 is nu online
Silver Member

Male from Spain
RoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPAC
Points: 3,391, Level: 8 Points: 3,391, Level: 8 Points: 3,391, Level: 8
Activity: 2.7% Activity: 2.7% Activity: 2.7%
Health Warning:DO NOT smoke while on tramadol.

Robo recently opened up a thread on the possible role of tobacco in tramadol related seizures, based on all the experiences he's read in which the seizure begins just after smoking a cigarette.

It was just an interesting theory at first and was only looking for some feedback on this theory, but since then Robo has come across a lot of similar experiences, without even looking for them.Some are from other sites, some from D.F.

This is the original thread:

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=157449

And here are some quotes from experience reports on this type of interaction:

Quote:
SWIM poped 15 trammdol(750mg).and after starting to feel the effect maybe 1 hour after poping.went outside to smoke a bowl of marijuana,shortly after that smoked acig.and about 5 mins after that had a seizure and went to the ER

Quote:
SWIM had the same thing happen after smoking a cig
(Having a seizure)

Quote:
The last thing that I remember is going outside for a smoke. While I was outside, I had a seizure.
Quote:
So me and my friend went outside. I smoked a cig. And the next thing I know I wake up in an ambulance. The paramedics said I had a seizure.
I'm sure more members will post similar experiences after reading this thread, since this seems to be quite common.

If anyone has a theory on why this occurs, please do share.But the main purpose of this thread is to spread the warning to tramadol users:

DO NOT SMOKE WHILE USING TRAMADOL,SPECIALLY IN HIGH DOSES

Robo

Post Quality Evaluations:
An inquiry deserving of more inquiry and sharing of evidence and experience.
Nice warning to others, good job posting it. It's sure to save someone from going on a trip to the ER.
Great harm reduction thread!
For all the effort researching this
Maybe because Tobacco is a MAO-A selective inhibitor. Very good warning.
Good info.Take it or leave it.
Old 04-04-2011, 22:35
Opiates & Opioids
Co-Moderator

52 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Smeg must mainline MedlineSmeg must mainline MedlineSmeg must mainline MedlineSmeg must mainline MedlineSmeg must mainline MedlineSmeg must mainline MedlineSmeg must mainline MedlineSmeg must mainline MedlineSmeg must mainline MedlineSmeg must mainline MedlineSmeg must mainline Medline
Points: 7,810, Level: 12 Points: 7,810, Level: 12 Points: 7,810, Level: 12
Activity: 34.8% Activity: 34.8% Activity: 34.8%
Re: Health Warning:DO NOT smoke while on tramadol.

An interesting connection, swiRobo. Red doesn't know why it may be hazardous, but has heard anecdotal accounts of similar incidents. He wonders if it's the nicotine that's the culprit, or perhaps one or many of the other chemicals in tobacco?

He does recall another danger whilst smoking cigarettes, and being on high doses of tramadol (400mg daily) which was nodding off with a lit ciggy in his hand and nearly setting fire to the place on at least two occasions.

It was some time ago, and he realises that this scenario may be familiar to many opiate/opioid users, and ex-users.
Old 05-04-2011, 00:12

23 y/o Male from United States
stoner9493 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

haha yes i think that the culprit for it all is the cigs.but not sure what part tho(what ingredeints)and u used my quote haha 15 trammadol
Old 05-04-2011, 14:09
Silver Member

Male from Spain
RoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeg View Post
An interesting connection, swiRobo. Red doesn't know why it may be hazardous, but has heard anecdotal accounts of similar incidents. He wonders if it's the nicotine that's the culprit, or perhaps one or many of the other chemicals in tobacco?

He does recall another danger whilst smoking cigarettes, and being on high doses of tramadol (400mg daily) which was nodding off with a lit ciggy in his hand and nearly setting fire to the place on at least two occasions.

It was some time ago, and he realises that this scenario may be familiar to many opiate/opioid users, and ex-users.
Robo is extremely busy at the moment, but as soon as he catches his breath he will begin to investigate any possible explanations.He now has a decent theory, and he'll elaborate it as soon as he does some research.

In the mean time, any swimmers reading this can contribute by checking the info in their tramadol, see if it has any warnings interactions with tobacco.

Also, anyone who's had this happen can name their cigarette brand, if there's a higher incidence of seizures with high nicotine cigarettes, then we can point our research into the nicotine and we can rule out other components found in tobacco.

Robo will post his theory soon so that it may be opened to debate,

Robo
Old 05-04-2011, 14:31

31 y/o Female from United States
Elizabeth2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Wow this is extremely interesting. Chicken has a friend who is highly addicted to tramadol. Chicken has never touched the stuff.

Chickens friend has had 5 seizures. When her friend was talking about her first seizure she pointed out she was on the couch smoking a cigarette and went into a seizure. She doesnt remember the seizure, just before it, and waking up in the hospital.

She smokes Newports.
Old 05-04-2011, 17:39
Silver Member

Male from Spain

Quote:
Chickens friend has had 5 seizures. When her friend was talking about her first seizure she pointed out she was on the couch smoking a cigarette and went into a seizure. She doesnt remember the seizure, just before it, and waking up in the hospital.
Note the similarities between that post and the ones above.They're all exactly the same:"I went outside to have a cigarette and the next thing I remember is waking up in...."

This cannot possibly be a coincidence.

Quote:
She smokes Newports.
It would be great if you could specify the nicotine content in the specific type she smokes.

Robo
Old 05-04-2011, 17:57

31 y/o Female from United States
Elizabeth2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1

She smoke Newport regulars which have a nicotine content of 1.4. From what I have read Newports and Camel unfiltered have the highest nicotine levels.
Old 05-04-2011, 18:07
Silver Member

Male from Spain

Okay, so Robo has stumbled upon a pretty solid theory based on this article:

http://www.health.am/ab/more/current...k-of-seizures/

Quote:
After adjusting for stroke, brain tumor, hypertension and other potential confounding factors, researchers observed a significant association between current cigarette smoking and risk of seizure (relative risk (RR) of 2.60). “Our analysis showed risk of seizure was significantly higher for current smokers, but not related to the amount of cigarettes smoked daily,” said Dr. Dworetzky. “It does appear, however, that the number of years of smoking does increase seizure risk.”
So it would make a lot of sense that 2 drugs which lower your seizure threshold will produce a seizure in most cases.

Only thing is, I couldn't find any info on the mechanism though which tobacco smoke increases seizures since it's a statistical study and the cause is probably not even known...

Still, Robo did come up with something else:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8232704

Quote:
Case-control studies have consistently demonstrated a reduced risk of Parkinsonism in smokers. A potential mechanism of protection is based on the 'induction' of cytochrome P-450 enzymes by polyaromatic hydrocarbons in tobacco smoke. Cytochrome P-450 enzymes are responsible for biomodification and detoxification of foreign substances. Stimulation of these enzymes in the olfactory epithelium and in the liver may lead to increased metabolism of xenobiotics, thereby preventing environmental neurotoxins from reaching target organs. Polymorphic expression of this family of isozymes may confer a unique susceptibility to some neurologic diseases.
So tobacco smoke induces various P-450 enzymes, now guess which enzymes metabolize tramadol into 5 different metabolites?

Quote:
Tramadol undergoes hepatic metabolism via the cytochrome P450 isozyme CYP2B6, CYP2D6 and CYP3A4, being O- and N-demethylated to five different metabolites. Of these, O-desmethyltramadol is the most significant since it has 200 times the μ-affinity of (+)-tramadol, and furthermore has an elimination half-life of nine hours, compared with six hours for tramadol itself. As with codeine, in the 6% of the population that have slow CYP2D6 activity, there is therefore a reduced analgesic effect. Phase II hepatic metabolism renders the metabolites water-soluble, which are excreted by the kidneys. Thus, reduced doses may be used in renal and hepatic impairment.[49]
Truth is, that as far as Robo has read, it is not known which metabolite, if not the tramadol itself, is responsable for the seizures.Now the late onset of every seizure Robo has read about (always 1h. or more) suggests that a metabolite is the cause of the seizures, who knows which one of the 5.

So:

What if the tobacco smoke induces the enzyme that converts tramadol into that seizure-causing metabolite?

Robo thinks both theories have their merit, but is more inclined to believe the first theory since the seizures always occurred immediately after smoking.

Still, what do you think?I'd appreciate any input I got.

Robo

RoboCodeine7610 added 5 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

Quote:
She smoke Newport regulars which have a nicotine content of 1.4. From what I have read Newports and Camel unfiltered have the highest nicotine levels.
That's pretty high compared to most brands, highest I've ever heard of to be honest.Obviously, nicotine has nothing to do with my second theory but could very well be the cause of the statistical results in the first study posted.

If we could find more members who've had seizures while on tramadol/tobacco, and most smoke high-nicotine brands, then it could be assumed that the nicotine is the element responsable for lowering seizure threshold in smokers.

Robo

For all the work put into very usefull information. This warning shouldn't be taken lightly.
Apprechiate point made,but harm reduction & high dose tramadol aren't good partners.

Last edited by RoboCodeine7610; 05-04-2011 at 18:07. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-04-2011, 21:14
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from United Kingdom
FuzzyDuck is an unknown quantity at this point

The fact that someone took 750mg of tramadol would increase the risk of seizures anyway; when SWIM takes trams he always takes 200mg and smokes like a chimney - he has never had any difficulties. When using higher doses of tramadol the seizure threshold is decreased thus SWIM could not recommend anyone take more than 400mg a day. SWIM finds that 200mg is his ceiling dose anyway; anymore and he ceases to be high
Old 06-04-2011, 01:02
Opiates & Opioids
Co-Moderator

52 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Smeg must mainline MedlineSmeg must mainline MedlineSmeg must mainline MedlineSmeg must mainline MedlineSmeg must mainline MedlineSmeg must mainline MedlineSmeg must mainline MedlineSmeg must mainline MedlineSmeg must mainline MedlineSmeg must mainline MedlineSmeg must mainline Medline
Points: 7,810, Level: 12 Points: 7,810, Level: 12 Points: 7,810, Level: 12
Activity: 34.8% Activity: 34.8% Activity: 34.8%

It's important to discern the differences between "safe" recreational doses (around 200mg) of tramadol or less and those that may be significantly more difficult to manage. Ranges of equalling or exceeding 400mg daily would be a good capping point to avoid the risk of seizure.

It has been well documented in this forum (and other sources) that harm can happen to the individual in excess when using tramadol.

Robo's observations seem to add extra validity and gravitas to the observance of safety regarding fat doses in conjunction with cigarette smoking.

Red wonders what the interaction(s) could be?

Last edited by Smeg; 18-12-2013 at 02:48. Reason: Variation on Swim banshed.
Old 17-04-2011, 05:10

Male from United States
Spacefish is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1

Its hard to point out exactly what caused any of it, unless you were able to learn every thing the said swimmer was doing, eating, drinking, amount of stress, age, health, why they were taking Tramadol to began with and how much they had taken. So much goes into play that its hard to really point your finger at just one thing.
Old 19-04-2011, 19:14
Silver Member

Male from Spain

Quote:
Its hard to point out exactly what caused any of it, unless you were able to learn every thing the said swimmer was doing, eating, drinking, amount of stress, age, health, why they were taking Tramadol to began with and how much they had taken. So much goes into play that its hard to really point your finger at just one thing.
True, but even though it's no scientific study, what are the chances of people just having seizures in the middle of having a cigarette or right after???

Just use the theory of probability, there's no way it's all a coincidence.

At the very least, it's enough evidence to not smoke when using tramadol, specially in higher doses.At least Robo knows he won't...

Still, if there IS an interaction between the two, I'm sure there are members in this forum that can explain them way better than Robo could and I encourage them to do so.

Robo
Old 20-04-2011, 20:01

46 y/o Male from Belgium
EricB is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1

I take tramadol since 2002 and I smoke : never had a problem at all......
Old 20-04-2011, 22:17
Silver Member

Male from Spain

Quote:
I take tramadol since 2002 and I smoke : never had a problem at all......
Well good for you, glad to hear that.Too bad the people quoted were not as lucky....

Robo
Old 11-05-2011, 22:14
Gold Member

31 y/o Male from United States
Jasim must mainline MedlineJasim must mainline MedlineJasim must mainline MedlineJasim must mainline MedlineJasim must mainline MedlineJasim must mainline MedlineJasim must mainline MedlineJasim must mainline MedlineJasim must mainline MedlineJasim must mainline MedlineJasim must mainline Medline
Points: 4,651, Level: 10 Points: 4,651, Level: 10 Points: 4,651, Level: 10

Nicotine is a stimulant on cholinergic receptors. I'm guessing it has to do with the stimulant properties of nicotine. Increased risk of seizures would likely also be seen with other types of stimulants, such as amphetamines.

Tramadol, particularly high doses, lowers seizure threshold so even a mild stimulant like nicotine could be just enough to send a use into a seizure.
Old 17-05-2011, 10:33
Silver Member

Male from Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasim View Post
Nicotine is a stimulant on cholinergic receptors. I'm guessing it has to do with the stimulant properties of nicotine. Increased risk of seizures would likely also be seen with other types of stimulants, such as amphetamines.

Tramadol, particularly high doses, lowers seizure threshold so even a mild stimulant like nicotine could be just enough to send a use into a seizure.
Makes sense.In that case, could the same be said about caffeine?If so, maybe it would be best to avoid it as well.

Robo
Old 18-05-2011, 01:54

23 y/o Male from United Kingdom
TheUnicorn is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 110, Level: 1 Points: 110, Level: 1 Points: 110, Level: 1

Interesting thread. My unicorn friend takes tramadol every now and then, he usually smokes on them, he's not a heavy smoker just the odd one or two on occasion. However on a 250mg dose once he smoked a bong of high grade mixed with tobacco, he felt like he was going to have a seizure he thinks, was quite a scary moment.
Old 19-05-2011, 12:20
Silver Member

Male from Spain

Quote:
However on a 250mg dose once he smoked a bong of high grade mixed with tobacco, he felt like he was going to have a seizure he thinks, was quite a scary moment.
Robo thinks he´s experienced what you´re describing.For Robo, they were just random muscle ¨twitches¨but felt like they were due to some sort of uncontrolable Ënergy¨and had to tense up his muscles and stay still in order to avoid going into a full-blown seizure.

Indeed quite unpleasent

Robo
Old 15-07-2011, 23:23
Silver Member

23 y/o Female from United Kingdom
[tanarilla.] is on the way up[tanarilla.] is on the way up[tanarilla.] is on the way up
Points: 1,004, Level: 4 Points: 1,004, Level: 4 Points: 1,004, Level: 4

Maybe. My bunny smoked every time she took Tramadol and she never had a seizure.

Though if you're predictable to seizures, you shouldn't take Tramadol anyway? Neither should you smoke? Nicotine on its own can trigger seizures through oxygen deprivation of the brain, and excess carbon monoxide, I believe, as well as affecting some of the neurons that can cause seizures
Old 16-07-2011, 00:37
R.I.P.

27 y/o Male from United Kingdom
bignbrown is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 105, Level: 1 Points: 105, Level: 1 Points: 105, Level: 1

750mg is a dangerous dose of tramadol anyway, no wonder swim exp'd a seizure
Old 16-07-2011, 01:20
Straight out of Trumpton
Co-Moderator

50 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Mindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,647, Level: 12 Points: 7,647, Level: 12 Points: 7,647, Level: 12
Activity: 20.0% Activity: 20.0% Activity: 20.0%

A lot of people smoke. A fair few take tramadol. I cannot find any references to tramadol/nicotine interactions. As Smeg points out, there are a lot of different chemicals present in ciggys (apparently over 4000, which makes them excellent value for money). Could something else present in ciggys be responsible?
The central nervous system is complex, and we are always finding new adverse drug interactions. Maybe there is a medically unreported interaction between tramadol and smoking. There are two reasons that I tend to think that this is not the case:
[1] Smoking is a frequent behaviour. When I smoked it would invariably be at frequent intervals. So it's likely that any smoker who's had a seizure will have had a ciggy recently.
[2] Where seizures are reported with tramadol, it seems to be in those taking higher doses. Has anyone taken less than, say, 300mg or less in 24 hours in any of the instances that RoboCodeine 7610 has reported?
I don't know what the protocol for reporting adverse drug reactions in Spain is. A local pharmacist should be able to advise on this. Maybe RoboCodeine could explore this option.
Old 19-07-2011, 22:01

Male from United Kingdom
MrPharmacology should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1

swim notices reduced respiration (shallow breathing) when smoking whilst on opiates such as dihydrocodeine continus(240mg) or when taking medium doses of oxycodone

valid observation
Old 23-07-2011, 03:16
Silver Member

Male from Spain

Quote:
[1] Smoking is a frequent behaviour. When I smoked it would invariably be at frequent intervals. So it's likely that any smoker who's had a seizure will have had a ciggy recently.
[2] Where seizures are reported with tramadol, it seems to be in those taking higher doses. Has anyone taken less than, say, 300mg or less in 24 hours in any of the instances that RoboCodeine 7610 has reported?
I don't know what the protocol for reporting adverse drug reactions in Spain is. A local pharmacist should be able to advise on this. Maybe RoboCodeine could explore this option.
Ok everyone:

This isn't "proof" or a scientific paper on this interaction.It is simply a warning, stating the fact that about 40% of the reports on erowid of seizures happened immediately after having a cigarette.

Robo thinks this is a fair warning, but to each their own.He simply noticed, and thinks it would be worth avoiding the combo.

Robo
Old 24-07-2011, 14:03
Silver Member

38 y/o Male from Portugal
ruca is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys!
well i was somehow astonished with the info you guys brought up,maybe it is an old thread ,forgot to check it,nevertheless..in swim's experiences with tramadol,in which he used to take always large doses,750mg upwards,sometimes combined with other stuff(codeine,benzos,etc)and never had a problem with seizures,that is not to say this is safe,swim reacts this way,do be careful with this drug or any other drug for that matter,but i find your thread interesting for when swim is on tramadol,as he is now,he always feels an urge to chain smoke and also every ciggy is really pleasurable to him,in a way it contributes to the high,swim gets more confortable if he is smoking..maybe someone else shares the reaction..
be safe
r
Old 24-07-2011, 16:36
Straight out of Trumpton
Co-Moderator

50 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Mindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,647, Level: 12 Points: 7,647, Level: 12 Points: 7,647, Level: 12
Activity: 20.0% Activity: 20.0% Activity: 20.0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboCodeine7610 View Post
Ok everyone:

This isn't "proof" or a scientific paper on this interaction.It is simply a warning, stating the fact that about 40% of the reports on erowid of seizures happened immediately after having a cigarette.

Robo thinks this is a fair warning, but to each their own.He simply noticed, and thinks it would be worth avoiding the combo.

Robo
That 40% is a compelling argument. Although I'm still inclined to see the seizures and smoking as coincidental, I'm not convinced that I'm right. It certainly wouldn't do any harm to act as if there is an interaction, and to avoid using trams and ciggys together.
I wonder if ecigs might be an alternative, or equally risky in this context?

Share this on:

Tags
analgesic, anxiety, benzo, benzodiazepine, benzos, caffeine, cigarette, clonazepam, cold turkey, cyp2d6, cytochrome, diazepam, drug, euphoria, euphoric, gaba, half life, marijuana, midazolam, nicotine content, opiate, opioid, ritalin, seizure threshold, stimulant, stimulants, taper, tobacco combinations, tramadol, tramadol abuse, tramadol seizures, tramal, ultram, valium, withdrawal, xanax