Register Tags

Notices

Old 25-03-2011, 21:03

Male from United States
drifterinthedark is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Does Adderall XR stay in the urine for a longer period of time than IR

AFOF has a drug test coming up and has been taking very small doses of Adderall XR without a prescription to study (about 2-3 mg daily, for a week). He has heard that amphetamine salts are standardly detectable for about 3 days max. Are detection times for Adderall XR similar?

drifterinthedark added 1181 Minutes and 46 Seconds later...

Bueller?

Last edited by drifterinthedark; 25-03-2011 at 21:03. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 29-03-2011, 18:31
Palladium Member

23 y/o Male from United States
EscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline Medline
Points: 3,452, Level: 8 Points: 3,452, Level: 8 Points: 3,452, Level: 8
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Re: Does Adderall XR stay in the urine for a longer period of time than IR

First, swim wants to ask, how does swiy take 2-3mg? ~half of a 5mg XR?

Adderall XR contains two types of beads. Let's say you have a 10mg capsule. Half the beads are formulated to dissolve instantly, giving a 5mg instant release dose. The second half of the beads dissolve about 4 hours later, giving another 5mg dose. Therefore, it's not that XR is a different type of amphetamine, but rather it is like redosing on amphetamines. It could conceivably extend the detection time by up to a day, but the most important thing is the dose.

Also keep in mind the half life for amphetamines is about 12 hours. Swiy can do the calculations for his own body weight, drug tests for amphetamines detect levels of 500 nanograms/milliliter, which equals .0375 mg per kg of body mass. For an average 70kg man that means amphetamines are detectable in levels down to 2.62mg (to find what it is for you, multiply .0375 by your mass in kilograms).

Keep in mind amphetamines have a half life of 12 hours. This means 1 day (two half lives) after taking a 10mg dose, 2.5mg remains; 2.5 days after of a 50mg dose, 1.56mg remains; 3 days after a 150mg dose, 2.3mg remains. So within 3 days, even doses as high as 150mg are undetectable. 3 days after a 500mg dose, 7.8mg remains. That is why they say they are standardly detectable for about 3 days; 500mg is a massive dose, and yet it would only require one more day before being undetectable.

Another important thing is that although doses do build up in the blood upon drug every day, due to the nature of drug metabolism (half lives), the concentration of the drug will reach a steady state as opposed to constantly going up. Lets simplify and take swiy, assuming he is taking 5mg per day (a bit higher than your stated figure, but better safe than sorry)

Mon -- Tues -- Wed -- Thurs -- Fri -- Sat ---- Sun ---- Mon
5mg 6.25mg 6.56mg 6.64mg 6.66mg 6.67mg 6.67mg 6.67mg

Your doses are very low, so the "redose" effect of the XR is relatively negligible. If this hypothetical 70kg, 5mg/day man stopped dosing after monday, on tuesday he would have 1.66mg in his body, which is below the 2.62mg limit, and would test negative.

One more thing - anything which acidifies the urine (cranberry juice, certain types of meat, you can find this info on google) will decrease the reabsorption of adderall by the kidneys as well as speeding its excretion. In laymans terms, drink cranberry juice to get amphetamines out of your system faster.

Please ask if any of this doesn't make sense or needs clarification. Swim happens on non-prescription adderall as he writes this and sometimes gets a little ranty on it

Post Quality Evaluations:
fantastic, thorough, informative reply
Extremely helpful
Old 10-07-2011, 17:00
Silver Member

Male from United States
xMeTaL HeAdx is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 443, Level: 3 Points: 443, Level: 3 Points: 443, Level: 3
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

So according to your formula sir, An 86 kilogram man taking a one day dose of 10 mg adderall would have it undetectable in his system after one day?
Old 10-07-2011, 18:17
Phenoxide Phenoxide is nu online
Research Chemicals Forum
Super Moderator

Male from United Kingdom
Phenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,902, Level: 20 Points: 19,902, Level: 20 Points: 19,902, Level: 20
Activity: 28.9% Activity: 28.9% Activity: 28.9%

There's so many factors at play which make it difficult to be precise. The 500ng/mL cutoff is the concentration of the drug or its metabolites in urine and is totally unrelated to body mass, so the above calculation is misleading. The volume of urine produced varies from person-to-person and over time. The rate and extent of conversion to various metabolites will also vary between individuals. Additionally the rate at which the drug clears into urine may not be perfectly consistent.

Let's make some assumptions and make a prediction. We'll assume that 80% of the drug is converted to a detectable metabolite that clears into urine in this particular person. We'll also assume that the clearance of the drug into urine will correlates perfectly to half-life (i.e. the drug passes into urine as soon as it is metabolized, which is unlikely). We'll also assume that this individual urinates every six hours, each time excreting 500mL of urine. The test subject consumes 10mg of a drug with a 12 hour half life.

After 6 hours (half of a half-life), just under 3mg of the drug has been metabolized and passed into urine. Of this only 80% is the detectable metabolite which takes us down to a total of ~2.3mg detectable metabolite in the bladder. The subject now empties 500mL of urine containing this metabolite. The drug concentration in the urine is approximately 4.6µg/mL (4600ng/mL, easily detectable).

After 12 hours (one half life) a further 2mg of the drug has been metabolized (leaving ~5mg still in the bloodstream) and passed into urine. Of this approximately 1.65mg are detectable metabolites. The subject once again empties 500mL of urine. This time the concentration is lower at around 3.3µg/mL (3300ng/mL) but still detectable.

After 24 hours (two half lives) approximately 0.8mg of detectable metabolites are present in the urine, a concentration of 1.66µg/mL (1660ng/mL, still detectable).

Continuing at this rate the urine after 4 half-lives of the drug (48 hours) would be down to a concentration of just over 400ng/mL, the first point at which it drops under the detection threshold. Under these circumstances the test subject should therefore pass a drug test after 2 days.

So that's an example of how it might go, but there's so many variables (drug half-life, proportion of drug metabolized into detectable metabolites, volumes of urine, frequency of urination, rate at which the drug clears into urine etc.) that it's impossible to pin down an exact point at which a specific individual will pass a test. Coming up clean after 24 hours for a drug with a 12 hour half-life is certainly extremely optimistic though.
Old 10-07-2011, 20:45
Palladium Member

23 y/o Male from United States
EscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline Medline
Points: 3,452, Level: 8 Points: 3,452, Level: 8 Points: 3,452, Level: 8
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Thanks for clarifying Phenoxide. I know the concentration of the drug is unrelated to body mass but looked up and used average figures for the amount of water in the human body to calculate my .0375mg/kg figure. I assumed that this "average" amount would be urinated out, although there are several factors I missed - the first piss of the day has a much higher concentration of the drug, mid-stream urine should have a lower concentration than the beginning or end, etc.

Coming clean after a day is optimistic, but considering the OP is taking 2.5mg, it is possible, no?

Anyway thanks for adding in many factors - drugs do not go directly to the bladder after the liver, a varying amount of the drug is metabolized to detectable molecules, half-life kinetics are not followed perfectly, etc. I realize my post was an extremely simplified look at amphetamine metabolism.
Old 11-07-2011, 22:06
Silver Member

Male from United States
xMeTaL HeAdx is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 443, Level: 3 Points: 443, Level: 3 Points: 443, Level: 3
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

But from what I understand the more you piss, the drug will leave your system faster? I apologize if that's a dumb question, I am just trying to fully understand this.

Last edited by xMeTaL HeAdx; 11-07-2011 at 22:12.
Old 11-07-2011, 22:36
Phenoxide Phenoxide is nu online
Research Chemicals Forum
Super Moderator

Male from United Kingdom
Phenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,902, Level: 20 Points: 19,902, Level: 20 Points: 19,902, Level: 20
Activity: 28.9% Activity: 28.9% Activity: 28.9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeDummy View Post
Coming clean after a day is optimistic, but considering the OP is taking 2.5mg, it is possible, no?
You have to remember that the test subject was taking 2-3mg daily for a week and that the half-life of the drug is long. Let's say they took 2.5mg daily, in which case the drug would actually have accumulated to a steady-state total level of around 3.3mg in their bloodstream. After the dose on day seven they stop taking the drug and are to be tested exactly 24 hours later. They urinate every six hours as in the example above (and with all the same assumptions). The last six hour collection of urine (the one submitted for testing) would have a drug concentration around 552ng/mL, just above the threshold for a positive. Depending on their individual metabolism, the volume of urine they produce and so forth the drug may still be above a positive threshold for several hours beyond this in some individuals. Half a microgram per millilitre of urine really is a tiny amount so unless we're talking about a drug that is active in the microgram range (e.g. LSD) there's few drugs that would be safely below the detection threshold within 24 hours.

Quote:
But from what I understand the more you piss, the drug will leave your system faster? I apologize if that's a dumb question, I am just trying to fully understand this.
It helps to a certain extent. As time progresses the rate at which the drug metabolites clear into the bladder will decrease. Urinating regularly at the early stages therefore helps, but since the drug will only be metabolised and clear into urine at a certain rate excessive purging is of little benefit. Trying to urinate frequently briefly before the test is not advisable as the test is likely to come up as diluted. So yes, staying well hydrated and urinating perhaps a little more often than usual doesn't hurt, but really there's little benefit in going overboard.
Old 18-08-2011, 15:16
Silver Member

Female from United States
sarcastabitch should review received reputation comments.
Points: 60, Level: 1 Points: 60, Level: 1 Points: 60, Level: 1
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenoxide View Post
It helps to a certain extent. As time progresses the rate at which the drug metabolites clear into the bladder will decrease. Urinating regularly at the early stages therefore helps, but since the drug will only be metabolised and clear into urine at a certain rate excessive purging is of little benefit. Trying to urinate frequently briefly before the test is not advisable as the test is likely to come up as diluted. So yes, staying well hydrated and urinating perhaps a little more often than usual doesn't hurt, but really there's little benefit in going overboard.
It takes a LOT for a urine test to come out diluted. Let me preface this by saying that I am often underhydrated.

My doctor was testing my to make sure I was using my adderall as prescribed and not using anything else. I KNEW I would fail: I had taken a 10mg IR tablet two days before the test (and nothing for weeks before), as well as having marijuana and a fuckton of opiates in my system, so I thought that I would just make the test as diluted as possible (not caring if it came back "diluted/tampered with"). I made my cup half piss, half water. Literally.

I got my drug tests back; doctor says nothing about the marijuana use (not shocking, as I have told him on several occasions that I use, and my state tends to be lax about those sorts of things). He said I had been using my adderall as prescribed (what?) and that my opiate use was off the charts. I got a copy of the tests myself, and he had only ordered a qualitative on everything first, and satisfied with a mere "positive" on the amphetamines, he didn't bother to have them test it further. They went crazy on the opiates- and I was shocked to find they could tell exactly what kind I had been taking o.0

I want to add to this story that I had taken a few ecstasy pills a week prior, but I don't think that those would have made me pop positive for amphet. Goes to show you how different peoples' metabolisms can be.

Share this on: