Register Tags

Notices

Old 23-03-2011, 03:47
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

24 y/o Male from United States
Mrballs is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Smoking meth around dogs/other pets....risks?

As this is my first thread, my apologies in advance if i break any rules. Please let me know if i commit any major "no no's" so that i can get better at using this site, thanks and on to the point.....I have a particular acquaintance that i am spending more and more time around as the days go by due to coiscidencescial living situations, and they have many peculiar habits that are unique to say the least, but are bearable. However the one frequent action that concerns me the most is that they smoke meth several times a day just as one might drink coffee or soda. No problemo, except for one thing. My dog Ralpho, who is a westy (west high land white terrier, a small white breed) must breathe the same air as myself and said acquaintance. I am just wondering if there is any chance that dogs might be able to inhale meth fumes, granted there is usally a window open, however the room in which the fumes is in is not the biggest. About the size of a normal non-master bedroom in a low end middle class house or average apartment.
My other concern is Ralpho loves to sniff around and eat things off the ground like you would expect of most dogs, my other question is should i be worried about Ralpho perhaps finding a small piece of meth on the ground or perhaps a small amount of power/residue and becoming intoxicated and perhaps going into cardiac arrest? Any info on this matter would be greatly appreciated, as it would kill me if something bad were to happen to Ralpho. My only current preventative measures are excessive cleaning and vacuuming, as well as emphasizing to said acquaintance to be careful not to drop anything. Thanks.

Post Quality Evaluations:
please post in the correct forum
Interesting topic. Good job being concerned enough about the pets & their passive exposure to drugs to ask these questions.
Old 31-03-2011, 17:53
Straight out of Trumpton
Co-Moderator

50 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Mindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,647, Level: 12 Points: 7,647, Level: 12 Points: 7,647, Level: 12
Activity: 20.0% Activity: 20.0% Activity: 20.0%
Re: Smoking meth around dogs/other pets....risks?

Passive inhalation of meth will not result in a positive drug screen test, so it's doubtful that your dog will suffer any adverse effects. He simply won't be taking in sufficient to have any effect at all.
I have never smoked meth, but isn't it inhaled as a vapor rather than as smoke? As far as I know, vapors (of various substances we might take) do not have the same problems as smoke does when it comes to passivity.
Your other concern could be an issue though, so be careful. An old girlfriend went mental when our yorkshire terrier found and ate a piece of hash that someone had dropped when stoned.

Rational consideration regarding passive meth "inhalation". Good warning at the end about carelessness.
Old 31-03-2011, 19:51

Ah finally someone replied. Thank you man for taking the time to do that it is much appreciated. And to answer your question....No, meth typically isn't smoked as a vapor...although it is easy to see how one might thing that because it isn't smoked by applying a flame directly to the substance, instead the flame is place underneath the glass pipe (pilo) or aluminum foil in which the meth is sitting on top of. The glass pipe/foil foil is heated carefully without being burnt by touching the flame directly to the glass/foil. The flame is simply held underneath the pipe/foil for a matter of seconds. The meth then heats up and begins to burn and smoke and finally inhaled....sorta complicated when you've never done it before.....at least my raccoon thought it sorta was....but ya it's easy to see how one would think it's a vapor. Ok so i will take warning about the dropped pieces....but i wish i had more answer about the vapors....i mean, ARE YOU SURE that you can't inhale the second hand smoke and achieve effects? I don't mean to sound like im questioning your authority or anything but if that's the case, then why is 2nd hand smoke such a big deal?
Old 01-04-2011, 04:50
Silver Member

44 y/o Male from United States
equitube is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 76, Level: 1 Points: 76, Level: 1 Points: 76, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

My Little Pony is no certified expert, only having done meth for a few years, although his love for speedy substances goes back decades. He begs forgiveness for ignorance, but isn't the 'smoke' actually a gaseous form of the substance and not a particulate matter or product of combustion? It's been a few years since he had first year chem at university.

He does find it fascinating that the substance can be 'smoked' nearly anywhere, even homes with non-smokers or public places without causing a 'stink' so to speak. He now tells me he'd like to find weed that does that.

tailz Up!!

Equitube
Old 01-04-2011, 07:36

Lol i am afriad that question is a little beyond me....my raccoon really hasn't put enough though into it. You could be right, but i know it's not the same as vapor....i wanna say that it is smoke, because when my raccoon accidently gets tobacco inside the pipe from his pocket (i buy my raccoon clothes) the tobacco will combust into smoke, so i figure its smoke? Haha couldn't be sure on that one...now my raccoon DOES know that if the lighter is held there too long, it will catch on fire from overheating so that's pure combustion right there...
Old 01-04-2011, 13:19

34 y/o Male from United States
captain_blade should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1

I've wondered the same thing at certain times, as I like to keep exotic pets....things like scorpions, snakes, tarantulas, etc.
unless your blowing it directly on them I really don't think there's any chance of it effecting them.
Old 01-04-2011, 14:50
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Actually, it *IS* the same as vapour.

It's vapourised, rather than combusted.

~Kailey
Old 01-04-2011, 22:23
Straight out of Trumpton
Co-Moderator

50 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Mindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,647, Level: 12 Points: 7,647, Level: 12 Points: 7,647, Level: 12
Activity: 20.0% Activity: 20.0% Activity: 20.0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrballs View Post
ARE YOU SURE that you can't inhale the second hand smoke and achieve effects? I don't mean to sound like im questioning your authority or anything but if that's the case, then why is 2nd hand smoke such a big deal?
You can question mah authoritay as much as you like, I'm probably frequently wrong about all sorts of stuff. Having said that, I still think meth is consumed as a vapour. [QUOTE=soula;959709]"What is referred to a 'vaping' is really the boiling of small amounts of liquid" (this quote was in the context of vaping THC in a cannabis infusion).

I have the impression that substances other than liquids can be made into a vapour. My argument is this; heating a substance without burning imparts energy to its individual molecules. Heat is movement; so when meth is heated the excited molecules change from a crystalline to a gas phase, when its vapour pressure exceeds that of the environment.

Not that it matters whether we call it smoke or vapour. What I'm really saying is that if passive inhalation does not lead to a false-positive urine test, it follows that the passive inhaler has not taken in enough to have any effect. This means that Ralpho won't get high.

The information available on passive smoking relates to tobacco smoke. This involves burnt particles containing thousands of chemicals, tar, carbon, and carbon monoxide. Passive smokers tend to suffer the same types of illness as smokers; my mum has COPD and doctors always ask how long she was a smoker. In fact, my dad was the smoker.

However, inhalation of any kind of smoke is harmful. It causes irritation and damage it causes to the lungs, then some of these particles inhaled are not filtered out by the lungs and end up in the cardiovascular system. These go on to build up deposits in arteries, including coronary arteries.

Vapours don't contain particles of burnt matter, so there is less scope for damage on inhaling these (or at least, on inhaling certain vapours such as meth) in terms of the respiratory and cardiovascular systems. Vapour disperses quicker than smoke. That means that it doesn't hang in the air for as long, or travel as far.

Last edited by Mindless; 01-04-2011 at 22:29.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:24

Female from United States
nicedrug is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by equitube View Post

He does find it fascinating that the substance can be 'smoked' nearly anywhere, even homes with non-smokers or public places without causing a 'stink' so to speak. He now tells me he'd like to find weed that does that.

tailz Up!!

Equitube
ghost disagrees, she feels meth smoke stinks way worse than weed , maybe its cause her house always smells like weed, but only occasionally of meth, but one thing shes sure of is it does smell,
no-one could smoke a hit of dope in her house w/out her knowing when she walked in the room after

as for the vapor / smoke thing , I'm quite sure its a vapor like most of you say, BUT if you burn it is it smoke (if so meth smokes gross) or what? not important just wondering

I better make an effort to stay on topic hear, evrytime ghosts buddie smokes meth he swears he dropped some, and when his dogs around he swears she's high, and that she's stealin the dope he dropped . she (the dog) did seem to be acting strange but we were always high enough, it couldv'e just been us trickin ourselves
Old 02-04-2011, 13:00

Thank you Mindless for your informative answer as well as everyone else who is replying to his. Ok, so perhaps i am wrong about the smoke/vapor thing...but there are still a few things that don't make sense to me about it....when my coon smokes out of a vaporizer for weed, there is no smell really and the vapor is very non-milky. Also i've read online and heard that when smoking out of a vaproizer there are prettty much no harmful effects to your lungs and what not....and i can never feel vapors from a vaporizer go into me, it's as if it were just air. This seems to be the same for my coon as with electronic cigareets, no smell or taste or feeling at all. But my coon reports different with smoking meth. Is it just that vaporizers are better at vaporizing than the normal meth smoking method? Jw, dosen't really matter i guess though. Just as long as i don't have to worry about Ralpho....someone here did say that if i blow it on the dog it can get high....so that DOES mean there's a chance Ralpho could get high right? Cause if there is any chance at all no matter how small, i must take extra precaution. A couple days ago a large nearby cloud of smoke drifted right into Ralpho's face....but like you all said it seemed to have no effect whats so ever, but i was quick to swish awau the smoke outta his face with my hands. Thanks.

Mrballs added 3 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

in the first sentence i meant "replying to this" not his. sorry.

Last edited by Mrballs; 02-04-2011 at 13:00. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-04-2011, 13:14

25 y/o Male from Poland
Ceasar is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1

Meth smoke/vapors does not have any smell and leaves only bitter taste in mouth after a while but you cant "feel" it with your lungs or cough it because it basicly feels like air.
There is no way someone can recognize any smell in room, my pikachu says that you probably have some nasty adulterants in this stuff.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:10

again i disagree, i would really like to see some other opinions , ghost tastes it when she smokes it, it does taste worse if burnt or stale,but even a good hit tastes like dope, and she can definatly smell it when others smoke, and can feel it in her lungs to,and she's pretty sure its made her cough to, but can't remember that for sure

she feels like she gets some damn good dope to, has gotten shitty dope that takes a few hits, but usually her dope is way way potent

but she's never had it tested or anything so I GUESS it could have a slim chance of a possibility that all the dope she's ever got has been cut with something that smells that same each time, but she's been getting it for a long while now

so respectfully id like to ask for a second opinion please!

Last edited by nicedrug; 03-04-2011 at 08:12.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:05
Silver Member

44 y/o Male from United States
equitube is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 76, Level: 1 Points: 76, Level: 1 Points: 76, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicedrug View Post
again i disagree, i would really like to see some other opinions , ghost tastes it when she smokes it, it does taste worse if burnt or stale,but even a good hit tastes like dope, and she can definatly smell it when others smoke, and can feel it in her lungs to,and she's pretty sure its made her cough to, but can't remember that for sure

so respectfully id like to ask for a second opinion please!
Da Pony will give a 2nd opinion,

he agrees that there is a taste to the substance. He can even recognize different types, or familiar cuts by taste. He says if he feels it in his lungs though, it's probably the cut as the purer stuff he's had doesn't do that.

He has smoked it in his sisters, brothers, friends mothers even his own mothers homes (all non smokers of any substances or tobacco), as well as public restrooms, parks, college common areas, restaurants, cars of non smokers, non-smoking motel rooms, and small and large rooms at his work. No one has ever mentioned smelling anything. He can smell it only for a brief few moments after another hits, then only if in their cloud.

Tailz Up!!

Equitube

(Oh wait, she probably meant someone else when she said 2nd opinion )
Old 03-04-2011, 18:35

@ Ceasar....Isn't what you said sort of contradictory? Because when using a pipe it vaporizes and there should be no smell like u said....but if i smell something u say it's adulterants...but wouldn't the adulterants be vaporized as well thus there being no smell? Just speculation, i obviously know nothing about this subject. I should add that my coon typically only notices a smell when something that is not suppose to be in the pipe falls into the pipe, be it tobacco, pocket lint, tiny food crumbs, and the like. It would make one wonder why these things are not vaporized like the meth is? This is a very weird subject to me, because it would seem as though certain substances can be vaporized while others cannot, and i thought everything burned? Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that melting/combustion points vary from substance to substance, and my coon knows that when the flame is applied directly to the pipe for too long the meth WILL combust eventually, so perhaps any smell detected is simply the bi-product of any microscopic combustions of meth, adulterants, and any foreign objects within the pipe taking place. I may of just answered my own question, lol, anyone else have a take on this?
Old 03-04-2011, 21:33

now that she thinks about it maybe your right about feeling it in her lungs, when she gets her good dope it does feel like she can take as big a hit as her lungs can take w/out really feelin it
from what i understand most here agree theres a taste and thats not bein debated

but ghost swears she can smell good dope, it even smells good to her during points in her life when she's using more constantly
theres a post that has.. well i wouldnt call it a debate, but 1 guy mentions lack of smell and others mention enjoying the smell after that http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...eth+smell+love but it doesn't really matter cause they're ananymous newbies just like we are , I thought I'd point it out anyway
searched this forum for meth smell, and besides inquiries about adulterants thats the only post that seems to metion it besides this one

maybe parents and stuff don't notice as much cause its not as distinctive as weed also most people have at least smelled weed in their lives, have/has you/anyone smoked before people that have used meth have entered the room?

now y'all mentioned a smell right after smokin and MAYBE thats what she smellt most of the time.
the one time thats really stickin in her head(friand said he was only takin a hit in bathroom but stunk it up all night) wasn't very good dope but it still seemed like it had that meth smell, a little off but that distinct, arguable wonderful, smell seemed like it was still in there
do y'all also agree, at least, they can
Quote:
Originally Posted by equitube View Post
smell it only for a brief few moments after another hits, then only if in their cloud.
and in so agreeing to that agree that good dope does at least have a distinct smell, even only for a few seconds?

and if so is there a cut that has a ,at least kinda, similar smell, only that hangs around?

the more she thinks about it the more she's staring to agree with y'all so don't take any of this the wrong way, just tryin to clear some things up

ghost always figured there was a smell that hanged around, but thered obviously be no way to tell if you were smokin, and the more she thinks on it the more she realizes there haven't been very many times she wasn't smokin, so she really doesn't have much evidence of her preconceived notion

thanx much for satisfying a forgetful, sporadic tweakers, inquiries
-much love, and happy highs , nicedrug + the ghost
Old 18-04-2011, 01:05
Silver Member

Male from Taiwan
Jayhal is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 319, Level: 2 Points: 319, Level: 2 Points: 319, Level: 2

The Flaming Rainbow would suggest keeping pets in a seperate, ventilated area, and that you maintain good airflow in general. Never know when there will be a knock at the door you can't avoid. He doesn't feel there to be much of a danger in small contact doses, though he would be more concerned about ingesting pieces that have fallen on the ground.

I have quoted the following information you may find to be useful, original link is located here.

Quote:
Toxic Dose
Death has been noted with the ingestion of 0.59 mg of methamphetamine per pound of body weight.

Signs
Pallor or reddened mucous membranes and skin, restlessness, hyperactivity, hyperthermia, hypertension or hypotension, increased respiratory and heart rates, abnormal heart rhythm, drooling, dilated pupils, muscle tremors, seizures, circulatory collapse, and death.

Immediate Action

Do not induce vomiting without veterinary instruction as the patient may lose consciousness quickly and aspirate the vomitus. Seek veterinary attention.

Veterinary Care
General treatment: The induction of vomiting may be started depending on the patient's level of consciousness, gastric lavage is performed, and activated charcoal is administered.
Supportive treatment: Seizures are controlled and normal body temperature monitored. IV fluids are administered to maintain hydration status and help maintain body temperature. Administration of ammonium chloride helps to acidify the urine and increase elimination of amphetamines from the body. This is only done if there are no signs of blood gas abnormalities, kidney failure, or muscle damage.
Specific treatment: Administer dopamine agonists which are protective against the lethal effects of amphetamines. These drugs counteract the amphetamine-induced hyperthermia, hypertension, and seizures.

Prognosis
Variable depending on the substance ingested, the amount ingested, and the severity of signs at the time treatment begins.

Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.

If you think your pet has been poisoned...
Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.
**ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center
1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435). $65.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card.
Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.
There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.
**Pet Poison Helpline - 24-hour service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.
1-800-213-6680 ($35.00 per incident). Staffed 24-hours a day.

Fantastic information! Thanks so much for finding this info on pet-consumption of (meth)amphetamine & what to watch out for!! Important info & link to the source - excellent work!
Fantastic reference, much better then the previous speculation
Very helpful, correct, and detailed information. This is harm reduction and a great answer.
Old 18-04-2011, 03:46

23 y/o Female from United States
jay2theizzle is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1

Hmm, I find this interesting, as I have seen this debate go on between friends and gangster...gangster does not smell it or feel it in her lungs, and the smoke dissipates much quicker than weed smoke does. There is definitely a taste about it, However, others have said they can see the smoke when gangster does not, and that they can smell it. It is funny to her when others go to great lengths to prevent others from smelling it when she feels that unless you were/are a frequent user, or have been around it a lot and are familiar with the smell, that there's almost no risk that someone is gonna walk up in the room and be like "WOW someone just smoked meth in here!"

The only time gangster ever had an issue is when her friend was melting down the pipe stem in gangster's bedroom and her dad came into her apartment to fix the dishwasher...as he was leaving, he stopped by the bedroom door and inquired about the smell of burning rubber. It slipped gangster's mind about what her friend was doing in there, and she seriously tried to find the source of the smell before realizing what it was that he was smelling, then desperately tried to usher him out the door (nonchalantly) and assure him there was no burning rubber or smell at all. Haha.

Quote:
he agrees that there is a taste to the substance. He can even recognize different types, or familiar cuts by taste. He says if he feels it in his lungs though, it's probably the cut as the purer stuff he's had doesn't do that.

He has smoked it in his sisters, brothers, friends mothers even his own mothers homes (all non smokers of any substances or tobacco), as well as public restrooms, parks, college common areas, restaurants, cars of non smokers, non-smoking motel rooms, and small and large rooms at his work. No one has ever mentioned smelling anything. He can smell it only for a brief few moments after another hits, then only if in their cloud.
Agreed 100%, couldn't have put it better. Gangster has smoked in aforementioned places as well and never had any problem with smokiness or smell, either.
Old 18-04-2011, 10:08
Silver Member

Male from Taiwan
Jayhal is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 319, Level: 2 Points: 319, Level: 2 Points: 319, Level: 2

s
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay2theizzle View Post
Hmm, I find this interesting, as I have seen this debate go on between friends and gangster...gangster does not smell it or feel it in her lungs, and the smoke dissipates much quicker than weed smoke does. There is definitely a taste about it, However, others have said they can see the smoke when gangster does not, and that they can smell it. It is funny to her when others go to great lengths to prevent others from smelling it when she feels that unless you were/are a frequent user, or have been around it a lot and are familiar with the smell, that there's almost no risk that someone is gonna walk up in the room and be like "WOW someone just smoked meth in here!"

The only time gangster ever had an issue is when her friend was melting down the pipe stem in gangster's bedroom and her dad came into her apartment to fix the dishwasher...as he was leaving, he stopped by the bedroom door and inquired about the smell of burning rubber. It slipped gangster's mind about what her friend was doing in there, and she seriously tried to find the source of the smell before realizing what it was that he was smelling, then desperately tried to usher him out the door (nonchalantly) and assure him there was no burning rubber or smell at all. Haha.

Agreed 100%, couldn't have put it better. Gangster has smoked in aforementioned places as well and never had any problem with smokiness or smell, either.
There is a fair amount of smoke(or vapors rather) with methamphetamine, its one of the signs of quality: many cuts smoke very little or stick especially to pipes or bongs. Meth has a distinct smell, not of burnt plastic or burnt anything for that matter since it should not be igniting at all, but a distinct some say 'sickly sweet' smell, definitely distinct and unusual but not ginormously offensive depending on who you ask. Even so, the smell is definately enough to leave a small public restroom smelling unusual after a couple hits in public. Cuts with a lower burning point than meth will however burn and often give off a noxious smell, and should be cleaned off through either cracking back repeatedly until clean or ab wash or other method if the volume dictates it.

Most people won't walk into a room and make a connection that you're smoking meth because it has such a distinct smell they ought not recognize it lest they have had prior experience with it, especially since if done right, there is no ignition, and no smell of burnt, leading them even less to the notion of someone having smoked something since meth is one of the few things that is vaporized as opposed to smoked.

Meth vapor should NOT make you choke or cough and should not burn. Many common cuts will have a choking or sour or plasticy flavor to the smoke. Steer clear from this shit.

It seemed theres a lot of misinformation and outright lack of common sense going on in this thread (*really? because something vaporises it leaves no smell? What about the smell of body wash in the shower or a nasty perm at the salon or your mommas spaghetti; none of these are burnt[if done right anyways]). Someone asked me to drop by and give my two cents, and I gotta bounce but I'll paste my reply to their initial PM here in addition to what I've already said. Being in a hurry, formatting and such is not a priority, lol. Hope this helps the discussion:

Quote:
The Flaming Rainbow maintains that methamphetamine has a distinct smell. An instantly recognizable and unmistakable odor for those who know it. He often hears others unfamiliar with the smell comment on it. They don't usually describe it as an unpleasant scent, but an unfamiliar/peculiar one perhaps. Some describe it as extremely overwhelming or empowered, though I find that an exaggeration.

The scent is not too overpowering necessarily, but very distinct. The Flaming Rainbow has smoked in countless clubs, bars, restaurants, stores, and sometimes he will see the next occupant catch a whiff and then give him a quick glance.(not sure which of those are 'wtf' looks and how many are 'u been smokinnnn' looks, lol).

The Flaming Rainbow has also had family walk into his house and announce: "I smell Meth, someone been smokin."[individuals who've had experience with Mth3]. On one occasion, a group of friends gathered with a The Flaming Rainbow who had procured a 10g bag. Two of the most experienced smokers would be The Flaming Rainbow and IA(who had yet to arrive). Before anyone aside from the two arrived, the two glossed a bowl; The Flaming Rainbow commented to his besty about the sweet smell of the loot, about how it was the best bag they'd come across in perhaps months. "The smell, oooh, the smell. Fuck yeah, that's what you call a smoke" Later when the others had arrived as well, The Flaming Rainbow was lighting a bowl for IA, who's non too shabby history of smoking included a month long binge in the Phillipines and more. The Flaming Rainbow had yet to comment on the quality or scent in front of the newcomers, yet before the first hit reached AIs lips, her eyes went big and she let out a huge sigh of air and said"Dude, that smell...Dude, this is some good shit." [A proper mEthXPERT can tell based solely on smell if the shit is cut or clear.]

A lot of times when I see people describe or use terms like, no smell etc. I think they mean in comparison to badly cut product; no burnt plastic smell, no overly sour smell, etc etc there isnt as strong an objectionable odor. The smell also is often confused with other smells, including body odor and ammonia in sweat, etc.
Old 18-04-2011, 15:31
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

In regards to a smell, yes, methamphetamine vapour most definitely has a scent; it's not unpleasant, but it most certainly exists. To assume otherwise is, well, asinine. My wife liked to smoke in her dry sauna; it was a small, out of the way room with a reasonably heavy door, so there was no chance of her kid ever getting in there by accident & it had a ventilation fan so she felt comfy that it wouldn't "pollute" the rest of the house. The sauna room was all wood (as they usually are) & even with the ventilation fan running usually when she was smoking, amusingly enough, when you actually turned the sauna on, the little room would start to REEK of methamphetamine! It had absorbed into the wooden walls/benches from "smoking" (vapourising) in there all the time & as the room heated up & warmed up the wood, the wood would then release some of the, apparently, crystalised vapours that were in the wood. Very amusing.

I've had concerns in the past about my cats & drugs. The first time I made a serious attempt at quitting smoking, I had 5 cats that had all been living with me & my husband for years; I figured they'd been getting 1st- & 2nd-hand smoke for YEARS (you could smell it in their fur, so surely they'd been inhaling it into their lungs as they breathed). I asked on a cat bulletin board (ha, remember BBS systems? *snigger*) I was a member of at the time if anyone thought there was something I could/should do in terms of their potential withdrawal & most people laughed at me & thought me a moronic idiot. But seriously, they'd obviously been inhaling nicotine & whatever else is in tobacco for years - I thought it a valid question & concern. I still do, tbh.

All that said, methamphetamine vapours are a bit different from tobacco smoking, & if the windows are usually open, I'd say it's probably not that big a deal & I'd not worry too much. I would, if possible, place the dog in another room while the vapourising was actively going on; a fan near the window to help draw any residual vapours towards & out the window would be a nice touch as well.

More of a concern, as others have touched on, would be the eating of shards off the floor. However, as the size of any shards that fell & could be missed would likely be minuscule at best; I mean, if it were a good sized shard, any reasonable tweaker would pick it up, obviously. So, the random ingestion of slightly-larger-than-microscopic crumbs of crystal during an occasional lick of the floor is probably not much to worry about.

It's nice to hear from a caring pet parent!

~Kailey
Old 12-10-2011, 09:41
Silver Member

Male from United States
Addie Daddy is a decent psychonaut.Addie Daddy is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 135, Level: 1 Points: 135, Level: 1 Points: 135, Level: 1
Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2%

Swims experience is that only people who have used meth at least once can even smell meth, unless with stinky cuts like others have said. And oftentimes when craving he would randomly smell it, like when he takes a pee, or really just any moment of the day, it'd just be a flash then go away and only happens during the most severe cravings.

Also, the room swim smokes in always smells like meth horribly, when he's been smoking at least. And since he was getting paranoid, he thought anyone else in the house could walk in and smell it. A sober aquaintence who was sober did come by and didn't smell anything odd.

Our brains way of using sensory stimuli, maybe from being high, to associate more things with it, and make you want it more.
Old 13-10-2011, 02:03

43 y/o Male from USA - Arizona
pulpz is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1

hmmm, my opinion, and that's all it is...would be if the smoke/vapor from Meth is harmful to humans, then it stands to reason that if smoked around animals in large enough quantities, it would be harmful to them as well. I don't think it's possible for 100% of any smoked chemical to be absorbed by the human body. So when exhaled, and if in hi enough quantities sure it would be harmful to them...perhaps I'm wrong.

But, if SWIY is concerned about the effects on animals, choose to use them while not in their presence...seems simple enough, no?
Old 13-10-2011, 02:23
Palladium Member

33 y/o Male from United States
trdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,537, Level: 12 Points: 7,537, Level: 12 Points: 7,537, Level: 12
Activity: 3.5% Activity: 3.5% Activity: 3.5%

Just wanted to put in, it's ALWAYS possible for the poor doggie to get a little bit he finds on the floor. Basically, it's not safe for the puppy dog.
Old 24-03-2012, 09:47
Silver Member

28 y/o Female from United States
whatsmynameagain is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 133, Level: 1 Points: 133, Level: 1 Points: 133, Level: 1

well i think it could be a possibility -maybe- i know someone who is very very tiny, like not quite 100 lbs and couldnt handle a lot of anything really, and suffered from really bad heartburn and smoking meth made it worse so when she would get high, she would have someone else take a hit and "shot gun" the hit to her, so they would hit the pipe for her and transfer the (smoke, vapor, whatever) to her through a rolled up paper. she got high off it
Old 24-03-2012, 12:07
Mercury Member

Male from United States
Stepin Fetchit needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

Quote:
As this is my first thread, my apologies in advance if i break any rules. Please let me know if i commit any major "no no's" so that i can get better at using this site, thanks and on to the point.....I have a particular acquaintance that i am spending more and more time around as the days go by due to coiscidencescial living situations, and they have many peculiar habits that are unique to say the least, but are bearable. However the one frequent action that concerns me the most is that they smoke meth several times a day just as one might drink coffee or soda. No problemo, except for one thing. My dog Ralpho, who is a westy (west high land white terrier, a small white breed) must breathe the same air as myself and said acquaintance. I am just wondering if there is any chance that dogs might be able to inhale meth fumes, granted there is usally a window open, however the room in which the fumes is in is not the biggest. About the size of a normal non-master bedroom in a low end middle class house or average apartment.
My other concern is Ralpho loves to sniff around and eat things off the ground like you would expect of most dogs, my other question is should i be worried about Ralpho perhaps finding a small piece of meth on the ground or perhaps a small amount of power/residue and becoming intoxicated and perhaps going into cardiac arrest? Any info on this matter would be greatly appreciated, as it would kill me if something bad were to happen to Ralpho. My only current preventative measures are excessive cleaning and vacuuming, as well as emphasizing to said acquaintance to be careful not to drop anything. Thanks.
I actually dealt with this exact same thing just days ago. There was a post regarding a cat and passive inhalation of meth smoke and exposure to meth residue, and a friend of mine looked me up, because I am a practicing vet tech.

Ok, here's the truth. When meth smoke is blown out, it's not your typical smoke that results from something burning; it's more like vapor. So it doesn't rise out through cracks in the room or flow directly out the window. Meth smoke are tiny "micro particles" of the drug, and they diffuse and disperse throughout e room and settle on the floor, furniture, wall, etc. If an animal is in the room when the smoke is blown out, even if they aren't in view of the visible smoke, they inhale these tiny micro particles. A person wouldnt notice any feeling unless they were around it for a long time, but it doesn't take that much for an animal to be affected.

Also, even if the dog isnt in the room, the animal can walk and lay on the meth-smoke particles that settle in the floor, furniture, etc., when they are in the room, and animals lick themselves, so the drug is ingested that way as well.

In addition, even if your dog isn't in the room, if the person smoking does enough of it over a period of time (binges), meth will come out of their pores, so when they pet the dog the dog will likely be exposed again.

Finally, if pieces of crystal or even tiny particles are dropped, the animal could very well eat it or walk on it, and they don't have to eat very much to be visibly affected.

Sounds weird, this is how it works for meth.

So, it is likely that your dog has been exposed enough to where they had me in their system. I'm sorry to have to tell you that. We saw cases of it at my vet because the drug was very common in a particular neighborhood years ago. Now, before you freak out, let's talk about how your animal has been affected.

Obviously, the size of the animal matters. We typically saw cats come in for this problem, and the typical cat weighs between 10 and 20 lbs. When the person reported that the cat was in the room with them, the cats behavior was noticeably affected; it would get sort of spacey, slower, but not agitated, running around like a tweaker like you would think. They might look around or sniff around like they were looking for something, but typically they would behave like kitty space-cadets and lay down like they are napping. Their pupils would be dialated, and owners said that when the ate they ate faster, sort of frantic eating. Elevated temperature was reported and verified in some cases (hyperthermia).

We didn't have any kitty die on us, and after he next day after the exposure the cat would be noticeably tired, but otherwise fine as long as no finisher exposure occurred. I saw a total of 9 cats.

Some owners reported that their cat would avoid them and the room they were in while the owner was in a binge, so it seems like they notice that the owner is doing something that is affecting them and they just stayed away. Other owners said that the cat would follow them around while they were doing it, like they wanted to be exposed.

If you have a big dog, you may not be able to tell that it was exposed, but if you have a little dog it is likely that you will notice behavior changes. We didn't see any dogs so I can't say for sure that they will behave like the cats did (calmer and spacey) but it is likely that it would.

Now, even if you had the tweaker-companion animal, and even if your animal is large so they arent visibly affected, the drug obviously isn't good for them. But no major harm should have been done as long as continual exposure doesn't happen. But I would recommend no smoking in the same room as the animal, don't touch the animal if she has been using, and keep the animal out of the room that she was smoking in. You may even want to take the dog out of her apartment and have it stay at your place, a friends, or your parents until you can figure it all out.

We didn't report this to poison control or any animal welfare, because we are not heartless, and a lot of the times I looked at friends animals "off the books," so there won't be any cases this detailed. I have read reports from animal services about cats eating Adderall and becoming spacey and tired looking, so you can Google that if you are interested. There is also a study that was done on second-hand meth smoke, where they simulated smoking in a room and lifted samples of the particles from the furniture to see how much a room would be "contaminated," and a scientist put some rats in a sealed tunnel and exposed them to meth smoke for a timeframe to confirm cardiovascular distress. I think she was from the University of Nebraska.

Somdont worry your head off, your dog will most likely pay be fine. Your girlfriend isn't a bad person and obviously didn't mean to expose your dog, so don't be mad at her. Keep the dog away like I recommended and everything will be good. If your dog starts acting reclusive, hides, and seems scared, or feels real hot, we are probably talking a little more serious. The vet could be able to care for your animal if it has overdosed, but I suspect that there isn't really that much that can be done. Charcoal solution, stomach pumping, or induced vomiting wouldn't help in this situation because exposure has happened by the time effects are noticed, and there aren't many sedatives that can be given to let's that are safe in this case. If the pet has hyperthermia we would probably it it in closed water or use an ice blanket.

Hope this helps.

Stepin Fetchit added 2 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpz View Post
hmmm, my opinion, and that's all it is...would be if the smoke/vapor from Meth is harmful to humans, then it stands to reason that if smoked around animals in large enough quantities, it would be harmful to them as well. I don't think it's possible for 100% of any smoked chemical to be absorbed by the human body. So when exhaled, and if in hi enough quantities sure it would be harmful to them...perhaps I'm wrong.

But, if SWIY is concerned about the effects on animals, choose to use them while not in their presence...seems simple enough, no?
It actually doesn't take very much smoke at all, and unfortunately just having the pet out room doesn't sole the problem of exposure. See my post below.

Stepin Fetchit added 3 Minutes and 33 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailey_elise View Post
In regards to a smell, yes, methamphetamine vapour most definitely has a scent; it's not unpleasant, but it most certainly exists. To assume otherwise is, well, asinine. My wife liked to smoke in her dry sauna; it was a small, out of the way room with a reasonably heavy door, so there was no chance of her kid ever getting in there by accident & it had a ventilation fan so she felt comfy that it wouldn't "pollute" the rest of the house. The sauna room was all wood (as they usually are) & even with the ventilation fan running usually when she was smoking, amusingly enough, when you actually turned the sauna on, the little room would start to REEK of methamphetamine! It had absorbed into the wooden walls/benches from "smoking" (vapourising) in there all the time & as the room heated up & warmed up the wood, the wood would then release some of the, apparently, crystalised vapours that were in the wood. Very amusing.

I've had concerns in the past about my cats & drugs. The first time I made a serious attempt at quitting smoking, I had 5 cats that had all been living with me & my husband for years; I figured they'd been getting 1st- & 2nd-hand smoke for YEARS (you could smell it in their fur, so surely they'd been inhaling it into their lungs as they breathed). I asked on a cat bulletin board (ha, remember BBS systems? *snigger*) I was a member of at the time if anyone thought there was something I could/should do in terms of their potential withdrawal & most people laughed at me & thought me a moronic idiot. But seriously, they'd obviously been inhaling nicotine & whatever else is in tobacco for years - I thought it a valid question & concern. I still do, tbh.

All that said, methamphetamine vapours are a bit different from tobacco smoking, & if the windows are usually open, I'd say it's probably not that big a deal & I'd not worry too much. I would, if possible, place the dog in another room while the vapourising was actively going on; a fan near the window to help draw any residual vapours towards & out the window would be a nice touch as well.

More of a concern, as others have touched on, would be the eating of shards off the floor. However, as the size of any shards that fell & could be missed would likely be minuscule at best; I mean, if it were a good sized shard, any reasonable tweaker would pick it up, obviously. So, the random ingestion of slightly-larger-than-microscopic crumbs of crystal during an occasional lick of the floor is probably not much to worry about.

It's nice to hear from a caring pet parent!

~Kailey
Actually, the fact that meth smoke is so different is the reason that simply opening a window doesn't really do any good, and placing the dog in another room doesn't help prevent exposure. See my post below.

Stepin Fetchit added 7 Minutes and 22 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindless View Post
Passive inhalation of meth will not result in a positive drug screen test, so it's doubtful that your dog will suffer any adverse effects. He simply won't be taking in sufficient to have any effect at all.
I have never smoked meth, but isn't it inhaled as a vapor rather than as smoke? As far as I know, vapors (of various substances we might take) do not have the same problems as smoke does when it comes to passivity.
Your other concern could be an issue though, so be careful. An old girlfriend went mental when our yorkshire terrier found and ate a piece of hash that someone had dropped when stoned.
Untrue regarding adverse effects, mainly due to the size of people compared to pets, and since they walk all over the floor and are petted by their owners. It doesn't take much at all for a pet to become noticeably affected. Also untrue about vapors compared to smoke and passivity, as vapors disperse and diffuse within a closed space, are not passive, and the chemicals in vapors bind ("stick") to things they contact.

Wow, I guess it doesn't take much to get rated good. No sources, no first-hand knowledge of problem, incorrect information, lack of knowledge of chemistry of vapors, lack of understanding of pets vs. human exposure to airborne elements...gets rated highest?!

Stepin Fetchit added 4 Minutes and 1 Seconds later...

Quote:
Lol i am afriad that question is a little beyond me....my raccoon really hasn't put enough though into it. You could be right, but i know it's not the same as vapor....i wanna say that it is smoke, because when my raccoon accidently gets tobacco inside the pipe from his pocket (i buy my raccoon clothes) the tobacco will combust into smoke, so i figure its smoke? Haha couldn't be sure on that one...now my raccoon DOES know that if the lighter is held there too long, it will catch on fire from overheating so that's pure combustion right there...
No, the vapor assumption is right. There may be some smoke when meth is smoked and gets heated up a lot, but the drug is essentially heated to its boiling point and evaporates, in contrast to being burned.

Stepin Fetchit added 3 Minutes and 54 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay2theizzle View Post

If the smoke smelled worse, it might actually be better for the animals, as animals will avoid things that smell funny (typically). But the fact that the second-hand smoke is odorless or near odorless is one reason why a dog can be exposed. See my post below.

I've seen dogs/cats hide when weed is smoked...

Stepin Fetchit added 3 Minutes and 28 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_blade View Post
I've wondered the same thing at certain times, as I like to keep exotic pets....things like scorpions, snakes, tarantulas, etc.
unless your blowing it directly on them I really don't think there's any chance of it effecting them.
Nope, it doesn't have to be blown directly on them, and those animals are quite small, so exposure and adverse effects are easier. You also can't tell if a snake, scorpion, tarantula is acting funny, unless you're REALLY in tune with your animal, but the effects on dogs and cats is noticeable.

The fact that these types of animals are caged might help a little.

Stepin Fetchit added 3 Minutes and 38 Seconds later...

Quote:
I forgot to mention increased heart rate and shortness of breath as effects on a pet, and I forgot to mention that meth particles will settle on food and water thats in a dish, so keep that away and wash them out.

Stepin Fetchit added 2 Minutes and 59 Seconds later...

Quote:
@ Ceasar....Isn't what you said sort of contradictory? Because when using a pipe it vaporizes and there should be no smell like u said....but if i smell something u say it's adulterants...but wouldn't the adulterants be vaporized as well thus there being no smell? Just speculation, i obviously know nothing about this subject. I should add that my coon typically only notices a smell when something that is not suppose to be in the pipe falls into the pipe, be it tobacco, pocket lint, tiny food crumbs, and the like. It would make one wonder why these things are not vaporized like the meth is? This is a very weird subject to me, because it would seem as though certain substances can be vaporized while others cannot, and i thought everything burned? Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that melting/combustion points vary from substance to substance, and my coon knows that when the flame is applied directly to the pipe for too long the meth WILL combust eventually, so perhaps any smell detected is simply the bi-product of any microscopic combustions of meth, adulterants, and any foreign objects within the pipe taking place. I may of just answered my own question, lol, anyone else have a take on this?
Why do you think vapor has no smell. The only vapor that's odorless is water, and most vapors stink to high heaven.

Plus if cuts are in the meth, they will burn, because they don't have the same properties (don't liquefy when heated) and they burn at lower temperatures.

Stepin Fetchit added 3 Minutes and 16 Seconds later...

Quote:
Thank you Mindless for your informative answer as well as everyone else who is replying to his. Ok, so perhaps i am wrong about the smoke/vapor thing...but there are still a few things that don't make sense to me about it....when my coon smokes out of a vaporizer for weed, there is no smell really and the vapor is very non-milky. Also i've read online and heard that when smoking out of a vaproizer there are prettty much no harmful effects to your lungs and what not....and i can never feel vapors from a vaporizer go into me, it's as if it were just air. This seems to be the same for my coon as with electronic cigareets, no smell or taste or feeling at all. But my coon reports different with smoking meth. Is it just that vaporizers are better at vaporizing than the normal meth smoking method? Jw, dosen't really matter i guess though. Just as long as i don't have to worry about Ralpho....someone here did say that if i blow it on the dog it can get high....so that DOES mean there's a chance Ralpho could get high right? Cause if there is any chance at all no matter how small, i must take extra precaution. A couple days ago a large nearby cloud of smoke drifted right into Ralpho's face....but like you all said it seemed to have no effect whats so ever, but i was quick to swish awau the smoke outta his face with my hands. Thanks.

Mrballs added 3 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

in the first sentence i meant "replying to this" not his. sorry.
The chemical properties of meth are way different than that of weed, so comparing the two is like apples to Chinese food. Weed vaporizers aren't really giving off vapors, it's still smoke, apit's just heated to a higher temperature faster, so it doesn't have time to burn at lower temperatures, resulting in a cleaner smoke. Meth melts and essentially vaporizes when heated, but there is some amount of smoke in the fumes.

Stepin Fetchit added 3 Minutes and 9 Seconds later...

[QUOTE=Mindless;970230]

You can question mah authoritay as much as you like, I'm probably frequently wrong about all sorts of stuff. Having said that, I still think meth is consumed as a vapour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soula View Post
"What is referred to a 'vaping' is really the boiling of small amounts of liquid" (this quote was in the context of vaping THC in a cannabis infusion).

I have the impression that substances other than liquids can be made into a vapour. My argument is this; heating a substance without burning imparts energy to its individual molecules. Heat is movement; so when meth is heated the excited molecules change from a crystalline to a gas phase, when its vapour pressure exceeds that of the environment.

Not that it matters whether we call it smoke or vapour. What I'm really saying is that if passive inhalation does not lead to a false-positive urine test, it follows that the passive inhaler has not taken in enough to have any effect. This means that Ralpho won't get high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soula View Post

The information available on passive smoking relates to tobacco smoke. This involves burnt particles containing thousands of chemicals, tar, carbon, and carbon monoxide. Passive smokers tend to suffer the same types of illness as smokers; my mum has COPD and doctors always ask how long she was a smoker. In fact, my dad was the smoker.

However, inhalation of any kind of smoke is harmful. It causes irritation and damage it causes to the lungs, then some of these particles inhaled are not filtered out by the lungs and end up in the cardiovascular system. These go on to build up deposits in arteries, including coronary arteries.

Vapours don't contain particles of burnt matter, so there is less scope for damage on inhaling these (or at least, on inhaling certain vapours such as meth) in terms of the respiratory and cardiovascular systems. Vapour disperses quicker than smoke. That means that it doesn't hang in the air for as long, or travel as far.

Not correct. Inhaling vapors can be and typically are WAY more harmful than smoke. The only harmless one I can think of is water vapor, but if you inhale, oh, let's say ether, it will fuck you up. Ever heard of a "gas" chamber? Ever heard of people huffing paint "vapors?"

Last edited by Stepin Fetchit; 24-03-2012 at 12:07. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-04-2012, 10:09
Silver Member

Male from United States
monkeyspanker is on the way upmonkeyspanker is on the way upmonkeyspanker is on the way upmonkeyspanker is on the way up

I'd be more worried about errant substances dropped on the floor getting ingested by one of my 'baby's', I never allowed them to be in the same room that the party was happening in and always made sure the tile floor was spotless before they were allowed in that room in the house. I wouldn't let a young child (mine or a friend's) in the room for the same reason. Little kids pick stuff up anf put it in their mouths, everyones home and situations are different but, you have to keep your wits about you. Be safe, think about others, animal and human.

Peace,
spanker

Share this on:

Tags
meth bumps

Sitelinks: Information: