Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 07:52

34 y/o Male from United Kingdom
brasco03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Is oxycodone much stronger then tramadol?

I am gonna ask for oxycodone soon as 400mg a day of Tramadol for my pain is not strong enough,is oxycodone much stronger?
Can I have 1 beer a month while on a low dose of Oxycodone safely or could it still kill me if I just had that 1 beer?

Whats the highest Oxycodone dose your still ok to have a beer?

Thanks for your help

Brasco
Old 11-03-2011, 08:56

29 y/o Male from USA - District of Columbia
eko425 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Re: Is oxycodone much stronger then tramadol?

While 400mg is a relatively high dose of tramadol, it is a very weak opioid (Tramadol only has a slight affinity for the μ-opioid receptor). In contrast, oxycodone is a very potent opiate - comparable to morphine - usually prescribed for the treatment of moderate to severe pain. So the simple answer to your question is yes, oxycodone is much stronger than tramadol. That said, there are many different factors at play, for example, dosage, or differences among individuals. For instance, some individuals are poor metabolizers of oxycodone and therefore might receive only minimal pain relief from the drug.

As far as your drinking question goes, it is never recommended to combine alcohol and opiates. As they both depress the central nervous system, it results in additive effects. That said, a clouded leopard I know routinely has a beer or two with 10 mg of oxycodone with no bad results yet. He knows his limits though.

You should also be aware that some drugs containing oxycodone, like Percocet, also contain fairly large amounts of acetaminophen (Tylenol), which should really never be combined with alcohol because it can damage your liver.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Very informative post. I look forward to seeing more posts like this from you in the future. Keep it up!
very helpfull well written an clear
Old 11-03-2011, 18:32
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Veksul is on the way upVeksul is on the way upVeksul is on the way up
Points: 408, Level: 3 Points: 408, Level: 3 Points: 408, Level: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasco03 View Post
I am gonna ask for oxycodone soon as 400mg a day of Tramadol for my pain is not strong enough,is oxycodone much stronger?
Can I have 1 beer a month while on a low dose of Oxycodone safely or could it still kill me if I just had that 1 beer?

Whats the highest Oxycodone dose your still ok to have a beer?

Thanks for your help

Brasco
To be honest, it doesn't seem practical to move straight up to oxycodone from tramadol, but I could be wrong. Oxycodone is a much stronger opioid, and at 400 mg of tramadol, an equivalent dose would measure out to about 20-25 mg / day of oxycodone. Is there a reason you are going to ask for oxycodone as an alternative as compared to say hydrocodone? I ask because many doctors are aware of the large abuse potential of oxycodone (though in reality all opiates are addictive). I do believe it's a good idea to switch from that high a dose of tramadol though. I think of it as a dirty opiate, mostly because it is known for it's great risk of producing serious seizures, but also because it interacts with a lot of other medications.

I would not suggest for a person to drink beer while on oxycodone, though honestly in moderation it would be fine. The danger comes when large doses of either are taken together, but I see no problem in a beer or two with low doses of oxycodone. Just be aware of how it affects you. I have seen friends take percocet (5mg oxycodone, also with no tolerance) and enjoy a few glasses of spiced wine with me with no ill effects whatsoever.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:18

36 y/o Male from United States
Frank is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1

Tramadol: All the negative effects of real opiates, with none of the pain relief. lol That drug is such a loser for Jimbo.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Short but to the point of how weak tramadol is. It most definitely has all the negative effects of opiates without the pain relief.
Old 13-03-2011, 08:09
Silver Member

drugs_bunny is an unknown quantity at this point

As we are in the same country, I can tell you that there isnt much of a narcotic 'gap' between Tramadol (or TramaLOL) as I have decided to call it after realising personally it is beyond useless for pain.. the next step up is ORAMORPH, some may want to dose you on D.H.C..then it is Oxycodone then it is Fentanyl.. this is the 'ladder' they use at chronic pain clinics here. My kitten is on Oxycodone after five failed back operations but she didnt get this medication until TWO years after being diagnosed! Yes Oxy is TWICE as potent as Morphine, this is partly due to Morphines poor bio availability..the chemical process by which it is metabolizes in the body..
Beer? I'd advise NOT to, thats what my kitten said, but my kittens been on Oxy FIVE years and she tells me her tolerance is 200+mg a day..I have seen kitty drink two/three bottles of red wine on her full daily dose with not too many side effects but she just told me it wasnt a very clever thing for her to do
Old 14-03-2011, 23:01

brasco03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veksul View Post
To be honest, it doesn't seem practical to move straight up to oxycodone from tramadol, but I could be wrong. Oxycodone is a much stronger opioid, and at 400 mg of tramadol, an equivalent dose would measure out to about 20-25 mg / day of oxycodone. Is there a reason you are going to ask for oxycodone as an alternative as compared to say hydrocodone? I ask because many doctors are aware of the large abuse potential of oxycodone (though in reality all opiates are addictive). I do believe it's a good idea to switch from that high a dose of tramadol though. I think of it as a dirty opiate, mostly because it is known for it's great risk of producing serious seizures, but also because it interacts with a lot of other medications.

I would not suggest for a person to drink beer while on oxycodone, though honestly in moderation it would be fine. The danger comes when large doses of either are taken together, but I see no problem in a beer or two with low doses of oxycodone. Just be aware of how it affects you. I have seen friends take percocet (5mg oxycodone, also with no tolerance) and enjoy a few glasses of spiced wine with me with no ill effects whatsoever.
Well my main problem is nerve pain starts bigtime everytime I bathe and I am thinking since 400mg of Tramadol helps a little then a low dose of oxycodone may make me able to bath often again by blocking all the pain,or atleast more of it.
I have not thought about Hydrocodone because I know nothing about it,but it must be much stronger in order for me to ask for it instead of oxycodone

brasco03 added 11 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...

Another question I wanted to ask could I safely bathe while on a low dose of oxycodone or will even a low dose make me very sleepy possibly hampering that?

Last edited by brasco03; 14-03-2011 at 23:01. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 15-03-2011, 18:51
Silver Member

Male from United States
JunkShow is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 68, Level: 1 Points: 68, Level: 1 Points: 68, Level: 1

To be brief, hydrocodone and dihydrocodeine are not stronger than oxycodone. Oxycodone is about 1.5x stronger. A relatively low dose of oxycodone shouldn't make you THAT sleepy unless you are sensitive to opiate drugs. Bathing should be fine..
Old 16-03-2011, 18:05
Silver Member

55 y/o Male from United States
Ihalmiut is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

One potential side effect of oxycodone is not being able to sleep. That was a problem my friend had and the pain clinic doctor told him it is a relatively common side effect.
Ihalmiut
Old 16-03-2011, 19:44
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Veksul is on the way upVeksul is on the way upVeksul is on the way up
Points: 408, Level: 3 Points: 408, Level: 3 Points: 408, Level: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasco03 View Post
I have not thought about Hydrocodone because I know nothing about it,but it must be much stronger in order for me to ask for it instead of oxycodone. Another question I wanted to ask could I safely bathe while on a low dose of oxycodone or will even a low dose make me very sleepy possibly hampering that?
Not sure of how common hydrocodone is where you live, however it is in the states for general pain issues. Hydrocodone is stronger than tramadol, but about 1/2 as potent as oxycodone. The reason I suggested hydrocodone is that doctors where I live are unlikely to switch meds from a weak opiate like tramadol/codeine straight to oxycodone. Note that in my area, oxycodone is a very abused med. A low dose of either 'codones should be much better than tramadol - good job on being proactive and doing some research for switching meds.

*Concerning previous posts: Yes, it would be safe to bathe on therapeutic doses of oxycodone. If you want to play it safe or are worried of passing out, wait until you get a feel for the effects and take note of how drowsy it makes you. Really though, they shouldn't make you that sleepy, unless you are very sleep deprived. Everyone reacts differently though, so some it may result in insomnia, and some in extreme sedativeness.
Old 15-12-2012, 13:06

26 y/o Female from United States
lacy6989 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1
Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7%

Yes Oxy is way stronger. Tramadol is a non narcotic pain med I could eat handfuls of that crap and not feel anything!!! If u have real pain id go with the Oxy its much better at controlling pain.

Share this on:

Tags
opiates and alcohol, oxycodone, oxycodone comparisons, tramadol