Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 06-03-2011, 05:54

22 y/o Female from United States
maryalesia is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Effects of Adderall on Non-ADD/ADHD people?

Hi! I have ADD and have been taking Adderall XR as prescribed by my doctor since I was 13 at varying dosages. Currently I am taking 20 mg.

I know some people who take this drug recreationally. I know that it gives motivation, it does that to ADD people, too (but we were lower-functioning to begin with), but I've heard / seen some other effects that I found ... odd.

Example: the seeming inability to stop talking. This one I find particularly interesting, because one the most common side effects (other than loss of appetite, obviously) is said to be social withdrawal. The higher a dosage I'm on, the less I am able to interact. When I was on 30 mg, it got to the point where I was almost completely silent: I was stuck in my head. I wanted to talk ... but there was nothing to say.

Does adderall simply react differently in people without ADD? And what is this "euphoria" business?? When I'm on adderall, I experience an emotional flatline - an extension of the social withdrawal. Everything is really boring.

I'm sorry that this post is getting so long, but I have one more question-

I've heard people say that they were prescribed 100 mg of adderall. Is this true, and if so, do dosages that high only apply to non XR adderall? As far as I know, the highest does of XR you can get is maybe 40 mg, possibly only 30.

The reason I think that's nuts is the one time I accidentally overlapped doses, (this is when I was on 30 mg), I got totally cracked out, nearly chewed my lip off, and decided that I WOULD TAKE NOTES FASTER THAN ANYONE IN THE ENTIRE CLASS. Eventually one of my friends pointed out that my hands were shaking, and I though "hmmm. something ... is not right here ..."
Old 06-03-2011, 06:04
Silver Member

Male from United States
Halor is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 285, Level: 2 Points: 285, Level: 2 Points: 285, Level: 2
Re: Effects of Adderall on Non-ADD/ADHD people?

Adderall will make normal people high, speedy - energetic, talkative.

SWIM takes two 25mg XR's per day prescribed - for ADD I've known of up to 60mg's XR per day. Adderall can also be used for narcolepsy with doses higher than 100mg.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:44
Silver Member

27 y/o Female from United States
Proserpine is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 98, Level: 1 Points: 98, Level: 1 Points: 98, Level: 1

How you felt when you overlapped the doses: Jittery, hyper, super-motivated, your brain running 500 miles a minute...

That's how people who Don't have ADD feel when they take Adderall. And they enjoy it.

The talking thing? That's the brain going 500 miles a minute. Have you ever talked to yourself? Out loud? Just whatever came to your mind came out of your mouth? (If you haven't, get drunk sometime. You'll see what I mean.) Well, that's all that is: The brain super concentrated on something..and then something else..and then something else..and then something else....and the mouth just following along. The funny thing is, to them, everything they're saying seems extremely poignant and important. They Really Want you to know this stuff. You'll see the same thing when people snort cocaine.

Euphoria..."At higher doses...dextroamphetamine will cause norepinephrine and dopamine efflux via transporter proteins, functionally reversing transporter action, which triggers a cascading release of catecholamines. This inversion leads to a release of large amounts of these neurotransmitters from the cytoplasm of the presynaptic neuron into the synapse, causing increased stimulation of post-synaptic receptors, inducing euphoria."

Not much of an explanation, I know, but it's all I've got. People get happy on Addies. Or they get super anxious and paranoid. That happens a lot too. They have all this energy and no idea what to do with it, no idea how to slow it down and control it so that they can concentrate on just one thing, so instead their heads bounce from one thought to the next to the next to the next, and they realize what they're doing (mind you they're usually talking the whole time) and that their thoughts are scattered, but rather than settle down and get it figured out they just keep bouncing from one idea to another, and they can't stop. Sometimes if you tell them to shut up, or to settle down, or to take a deep breath, that helps. It gives them a second to sort of get their head in order. Which, for those of us without ADD, on Addies that's all they need.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good and informative explanation for a newbie!
Good way to descriptively answer the question.
Old 10-03-2011, 18:21

25 y/o Male from United States
Synermergence is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1

Maryalesia,

This is a great question, but the answer is complex. First, it's important to make a distinction between "A.D.D." (inattentive type) and A.D.H.D. (hyperactive type). People with ADHD generally require a higher dose of stimulant for impulsivity control than those who just need to sustain attention. I am not sure which you fall under, but I would guess ADHD since 30mg (a substantial dose) works to calm you down.

The idea is that everyone has an "optimum" dopamine level (using my own language here), in which they are focused, but not over-stimulated. In people with ADD or ADHD, their brains don't reach this level on their own. If too much stimulant is taken, that patient will overshoot their "optimum" synapse dopamine concentration, leading to some of the following: overexcitement, euphoria, anxiety, fast talking, disinhibition, etc.

However, euphoria is only one option here. People without ADHD who take stimulants may have headaches, dry mouth, and nervousness, and no euphoria.

The bottom line is that ADHD patients who take too much stimulant experience (for all practical purposes) the same feelings as non-ADHD people who take ANY stimulant. It's just easier to overshoot their "optimum" dopamine level (good focus, but not too stimulated).

Explaining when euphoria will occur as opposed to anxiety, depression, etc, is very complex, and involves many factors including upregulation of D.A.T., the rate of increase of serum dopamine, and other fancy terminology. XR stimulants are also less likely to produce immediate euphoria than Instant release tablets. But this topic is a nasty one to get into in a forum.

Hope that helps
Old 10-03-2011, 19:45
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Veksul is on the way upVeksul is on the way upVeksul is on the way up
Points: 408, Level: 3 Points: 408, Level: 3 Points: 408, Level: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryalesia View Post
Hi! I have ADD and have been taking Adderall XR as prescribed by my doctor since I was 13 at varying dosages. Currently I am taking 20 mg. . .

. . . I've heard / seen some other effects that I found. . . odd.

Example: the seeming inability to stop talking. This one I find particularly interesting, because one the most common side effects (other than loss of appetite, obviously) is said to be social withdrawal. The higher a dosage I'm on, the less I am able to interact. When I was on 30 mg, it got to the point where I was almost completely silent: I was stuck in my head. I wanted to talk ... but there was nothing to say.

Does adderall simply react differently in people without ADD? And what is this "euphoria" business?? When I'm on adderall, I experience an emotional flatline - an extension of the social withdrawal. Everything is really boring.
*When you stated "the seeming inability to stop talking," was this an accidental double negative? The reasoning following leads me to believe you maybe meant "the seeming inability to talk." Just trying to clear up some confusion.

So you heard social withdrawal a common side effect of amphetamine? Actually the exact opposite, sociability, is stated as a common side effect of amphetamine. Paradoxical reactions are possible of course, but this anti-sociability sounds to be more of the cause of some other underlying condition such as Social Anxiety Disorder (SAnD), General Anxiety Disorder (GAD), some form of a simple social phobia, or even Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).

As to the emotional flatline - if this were a friend of mine - I'd suggest them to abstain from the medication for a few days, and then see how emotions respond once they begin taking it again. The mind is trained to maintain chemical balance, and taking amphetamine for long periods of time may cause ineffectiveness.

As for YOU, it's worth noting that 20 mg is not a very large dose, especially for someone who has been on amphetamine for a while (from what your age displays, 6+ years?). Abstaining for a while, upping the dosage, or perhaps (if necessary) the addition of a benzodiazepine for anxiety would help alleviate these symptoms. These are ALL things to talk to a doctor about however, I'm just throwing out some ideas

Keep us updated
~Veksul

Share this on:

Tags
adderall, speed, withdrawals