Register Tags

Notices

Old 27-02-2011, 16:54

23 y/o Male from Australia
pat12591 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Insomnia/Cant Sleep from Codeine

Do any others out there feel sleepy but cant sleep from codeine?.
It seems whenever my dog takes codeine he gets sleepy but can not sleep , are there any explanations as to why this may happen?
Seems strange to my dog since its causes sedation as most would know by now
Old 27-02-2011, 18:48
Silver Member

22 y/o Female from United States
Typical East St. Louis is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 126, Level: 1 Points: 126, Level: 1 Points: 126, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Re: Insomnia/Cant Sleep from Codeine

Hmm that's different. My goose always sleeps heavily and has trouble waking up. He often has very vivid (and twisted) dreams too. Whenever my goose associates insomnia and codeine, he immediately thinks of withdrawal symptoms, but obviously this is not the case unless your dog is really abusing the drug (like every day).
Old 27-02-2011, 19:09

29 y/o Male from USA - District of Columbia
eko425 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

My pet leopard has a similar reaction sometimes to oxycodone. Although different chemicals, they are both opiates and have similar effects. Sometimes when he takes oxycodone at night, he gets very drowsy but at the same time, can't sleep- and tosses and turns in bed. I'm guessing the leopard's anxiety problem might have something to do with this contradictory reaction.
Old 28-02-2011, 08:24

Yes my dog agrees with your goose and does find it a bit different . He does not use everyday he spaces his use .

He also gets the same reaction (tossing and turning yet drowsy). Your leopard and my dog seem to have another thing in common ,anxiety yet it doesn't cause him to not be able to sleep since he is use to it . He has had it for a while now but still has it at times
Old 02-03-2011, 13:54
Titanium Member

48 y/o Male from United Kingdom
organic_chemist is captain of the psychonauts.organic_chemist is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 214, Level: 2 Points: 214, Level: 2 Points: 214, Level: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat12591 View Post
Do any others out there feel sleepy but cant sleep from codeine?.
It seems whenever my dog takes codeine he gets sleepy but can not sleep , are there any explanations as to why this may happen?
Seems strange to my dog since its causes sedation as most would know by now
This is extremely common, but is rarely listed as a side-effect, most people fall asleep on codeine/dihydrocodeine. The British National Formulary states "codeine has minimal hypnotic activity" but there is no mention of insomnia (at least not in Swim's 1998 copy).

Many swimmers use small amounts of benzo's to induce sleep (do be aware that mixing
opiates and benzos can be dangerous).

Example Swimmer X, male 150lb, prescribed dihydrocodeine for reactive
arthritis. 90mg a day DHC in 3 doses, 30mg temazepam before retiring to bed. (Swimmers are advised to try the absolute minimum dose of benzos to induce sleep).

Take care!
Old 03-03-2011, 11:21

He didnt know if it was common or not considering the effects opiates has on most , what you have said explains why he hasn't seen it much when searching for side effects. He understands that most fall asleep just found it a bit strange that he does not find it as easy.

He did know about mixing with other opiates , benzos or alcohol can be fatal and/or dangerous due to respiratory depression but that is good advice to anyone out there that does not know.

He has had benzos (xanax) a few times and has fallen asleep from it very easily as u would have an idea of but he doesn't know much about benzos , all in all thanks for clearing it up a bit and stating that it is indeed common also thanks for the info/advice.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:35
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Veksul is on the way upVeksul is on the way upVeksul is on the way up
Points: 408, Level: 3 Points: 408, Level: 3 Points: 408, Level: 3

Many of the common (prescribed) preparations of codeine contain caffeine, which could very likely be the cause of insomnia.

Quote:
Tylenol #1 w/ codeine - 8 mg codeine, 15 mg caffeine
Tylenol #2 w/ codeine - 15 mg codeine, 15 mg caffeine
Tylenol #3 w/ codeine - 30 mg codeine, 30 mg caffeine
Tylenol #4 w/ codeine - 60 mg codeine, no caffeine

note: all tablets contain same amount of acetaminophen (300 mg)

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good point. Presence of caffeine in some pills is often overlooked.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:28

Ah he should have guessed he has heard about them containing caffeine in some of the threads he has read like with CWE and people asking how to get the caffeine out as well as the paracetamol/ ibuprofen. His are 30mg codeine phosphate w/500mgs of paracetamol the box it comes in doesn't have any indication of caffeine though but he is guessing it would so that its abused "less" or not as addictive not sure either way we are all getting addicted to caffeine aswell .
Old 04-03-2011, 10:46
Titanium Member

Male from Australia
Troppo is on the way upTroppo is on the way upTroppo is on the way up
Points: 710, Level: 4 Points: 710, Level: 4 Points: 710, Level: 4
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

One acquaintance of mine found he can't sleep if he takes a recreational dose of codeine to close to bedtime. Strangely enough he felt an urge to get up to urinate regularly too, which is not normally a problem he has. The codeine was from tablets that didn't contain caffeine or any other stimulant, since they are available otc in this guy's country (usually codeine plus one other pain relieving ingredient only).

Unfortunately, no idea why this can happen with codeine alone, and my friend has no experience with other opiates to be able to say if the same would happen with them aswell. He does say he feels fairly stimulated if he takes a fair bit of codeine during the day so maybe he has a weird individual reaction to it.
Old 04-03-2011, 21:48
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Veksul is on the way upVeksul is on the way upVeksul is on the way up
Points: 408, Level: 3 Points: 408, Level: 3 Points: 408, Level: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troppo View Post
The codeine was from tablets that didn't contain caffeine or any other stimulant, since they are available otc in this guy's country (usually codeine plus one other pain relieving ingredient only).
*OTC Codeine may actually contain caffeine. A law for one country permits 8mg of Codeine in an over the counter formulation containing at least two other ingredients, normally acetaminophen and caffiene. This doesn't mean all OTC formulations do in all countries, however.

So it just depends on what tablets this guy got; doing a CWE and seeing if insomniac effects still persist would rule out caffiene as a cause.

Veksul added 8 Minutes and 38 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat12591 View Post
Ah he should have guessed he has heard about them containing caffeine in some of the threads he has read like with CWE and people asking how to get the caffeine out as well as the paracetamol/ ibuprofen. His are 30mg codeine phosphate w/500mgs of paracetamol the box it comes in doesn't have any indication of caffeine though but he is guessing it would so that its abused "less" or not as addictive not sure either way we are all getting addicted to caffeine aswell .
Yes there are many different brands, and many of them containing caffiene. As to why Codeine preparations have it and other opiates don't, I am unsure. I have been told by a licensed nurse, however, that caffiene is usually added in to increase effectiveness of the codeine (something about metabolization) as well as combat sleepiness caused by taking Codeine. Helpful if someone wanted to take it and be active during the day, not so much useful for pain relief at night. . .

Last edited by Veksul; 04-03-2011 at 21:48. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-03-2011, 08:54

He does'nt have an idea either , never heard that before but since shes a nurse its a lot easier to believe . He thinks its so people have less chance of getting addicted since one is a stimulant , the other more relaxing and that the codeine doesn't effect as much since the caffeine. But yes not so helpful at night id have to agree

Share this on:

Tags
codeine, codeine and sleep, codeine dosage, codeine phosphate, codeine side effects, dihydrocodeine, insomnia, insomnia and opiates, legal sedatives, rikodeine, sedatives, tylenol, tylenol 3