Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Codeine
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 09-02-2011, 04:48
Silver Member

22 y/o Female from United States
Typical East St. Louis is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 126, Level: 1 Points: 126, Level: 1 Points: 126, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Question about dosage for a first-timer

Recently my pet goose was given a bottle of promethazine with codeine cough syrup for free. If it has any bearing, the syrup is red and is made by Activis, he believes. Anyway, my goose absolutely no tolerance to opiates and wants to be safe when sippin for the first time. The goose did some math and found that 6 teaspoons is equal to one fluid ounce. Pet Goose searched the codeine forum and found that most other geese use around 1.5-3 fl oz for recreational use. Goose also knows that his shot glass is 1.5 fl oz (sorry, he doesn't have access to a measuring cup). Therefore, if goose mixes 1.5 fl oz with 20 fl oz of Sprite and a couple jolly ranchers, will he be okay? My pet goose is male, has no tolerance for codeine, and weighs 140 lbs (yes, he is obese but he's working on that).

My pet goose apologizes if there happen to be similar threads about this kind of dosing, but he searched and couldn't find any that were in the same situation as him. Above all, my goose just wants to reduce harm and be safe.

On a side note, the prescription has several refills but is unfortunately not under the goose's name. What is the likelihood of the goose being caught trying to refill the prescription at the local pharmacy?
Old 09-02-2011, 06:56
Silver Member

37 y/o Male from United States
slayer180 is a decent psychonaut.slayer180 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 159, Level: 2 Points: 159, Level: 2 Points: 159, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Question about dosage for a first-timer

Your goose really needs to be looking at the amount of mg of codeine per teaspoon (per 5ml). It is very important to find out this information and should say on the bottle.

Your goose is correct that 6 teaspoons equal one ounce.

Most codeine containing syrups have 10mg codeine per teaspoon (which is 5ml btw) - again it should say this on the bottle somewhere and is important information.

If the goose is planning on using 1.5oz of syrup that will equal nine teaspoons or 45ml which should contain 90mg codeine. The goose should be fine with it however this is a moderate to large dose (equal to three tylenol 3's) for someone lightweight with 0 tolerance whatsoever and could lead to some nausea. It also could (most likely) be a great and fun recreational dose. Caution is advised, don't want the goose to overdo it and end up feeling sick or worse.

Swim recommends going slowly and only drinking about half at first, waiting at least an hour or even two. Then sip on the rest if needed. Should be ok as long as it is 10mg per tsp. (5ml). Verify that info first for safety reasons.

Post Quality Evaluations:
excellent harm reduction advice, well done!
Old 09-02-2011, 18:27
Silver Member

My goose is not lying when he says that there isn't an amount of codeine per teaspoon on the bottle's label. The label just gives the name "Promethazine w/Codeine Syrup (Red)" and to take 1 teaspoon every 4-6 hours as needed for cough. What confuses my pet goose is that the quantity is apparently 180 teaspoons (30 fl oz). There's no way this is possible as the bottle is much too small. Perhaps the quantity includes refills.

My goose was under the impression that the majority of prometh w/codeine syrups have the same dosage (10 mg of codeine per teaspoon). Also, the refills expire in a week so goose would like to know if he should go ahead and refill it.
Old 09-02-2011, 20:00
Silver Member

37 y/o Male from United States
slayer180 is a decent psychonaut.slayer180 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 159, Level: 2 Points: 159, Level: 2 Points: 159, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typical East St. Louis View Post
My goose is not lying when he says that there isn't an amount of codeine per teaspoon on the bottle's label. The label just gives the name "Promethazine w/Codeine Syrup (Red)" and to take 1 teaspoon every 4-6 hours as needed for cough. What confuses my pet goose is that the quantity is apparently 180 teaspoons (30 fl oz). There's no way this is possible as the bottle is much too small. Perhaps the quantity includes refills.

My goose was under the impression that the majority of prometh w/codeine syrups have the same dosage (10 mg of codeine per teaspoon). Also, the refills expire in a week so goose would like to know if he should go ahead and refill it.
Yea that math does not really add up, Actavis cough syrup comes in 4, 8, and 16oz bottles. Does it say the brand name on the bottle? If so that can be searched and looked up with a common search engine.

10mg per tsp is very common and swim has not heard of any other strengths for promethazine with codeine syrup. Maybe some other swimmers could chime in on this. With morphine there IS different concentrations for sure so not knowing could lead to a dangerous overdose situation.

As far as getting refills swim does get ID checked every time he refills his own, but has also refilled and picked up prescriptions for family members without a problem and thinks this is a common thing. Again, maybe other swimmers with experience doing this can give advice.

Don't want the goose to get into any kind of trouble, but also does not see how this could happen unless the medication is reported stolen or something like that. Swim would wait for some more replies...

Post Quality Evaluations:
helped SWIM figure out the dosage of codeine per teaspoon. much thanks
Old 09-02-2011, 20:27
Silver Member

My goose just checked the label again and found that the manufacturer is Hi-Tech Pharm (goose apologizes for mistaking it with Activis). He also checked the website and found that the dosage is indeed 10mg of codeine per 5ml. The goose thanks SWIslayer for the help.

My goose does not have the same last name as the name on the prescription, so basically my goose would be cooked if he was ID'd at the pharmacy. He wonders how difficult it is to be prescribed prometh w/ codeine syrup because codeine is a controversial means of suppressing coughs.

Share this on:

Tags
codeine, codeine and promethazine, codeine dosage, codeine first time, codeine syrup, cough syrup, dilaudid, drugs-forum, lsd, meth, no tolerance, phenergan, promethazine, promethazine and codeine, promethazine recreational, recreational dose, recreational use, tolerance