DXM Dextromethorphan

Old 09-01-2010, 01:50
Silver Member

Male
Neurocity is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Guaifenesin harmful effects

Hello, I'm new here but haven't been able to find anything on this topic with the search bar. A friend of mine is interested in dxm but only has extra-strength Mucinex DM on hand--1200 mg guaifenesin and 60 mg dextromethorphan. Anyway, he knows that guaifenesin should be avoided but is too damn lazy to go hunting for some dxm only medicines, so he wanted me to ask how far he can push the guaifenesin before it becomes a problem.

So I guess what he wants to know is how much it usually takes to make you vomit. (If it changes anything, the tablets are extended release. And yes, I know, him and I are probably dumb for not knowing this.)

Post Quality Evaluations:
Question a lot of people undoubtedly wonder about
Old 09-01-2010, 02:34
Gold Member

Male from United States
staples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medline
Points: 2,980, Level: 8 Points: 2,980, Level: 8 Points: 2,980, Level: 8
Activity: 8.0% Activity: 8.0% Activity: 8.0%
Re: Dumb question, but how far should you go with guaifenesin?

Guaifenesin isn't very toxic. I believe that formulation (Mucinex DM) uses a controlled release to administer 600mg of Guaifenesin twice throughout the day.

Everyone is different so it's not very easy to predict how much Guaifenesin would cause your friend to vomit. However, I would be surprised if your friend vomits from up to 4 times that dosage (3600mg total in one day). Whether or not he does, though, I don't think that dosage is very good for anyone's body; it could cause kidney stones.

It's not hard to find a formulation which only contains dextromethorphan...
Old 09-01-2010, 03:19
Silver Member

26 y/o Female from United States
TheMainException is a decent psychonaut.TheMainException is a decent psychonaut.

Do the work and find DXM only...it's worth it. Once SWIY finds a good brand of DXM only, SWIY can be happy knowing that the likely hood of vomiting is highly decreased since DXM alone can often cause vomiting at high doses.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:08
Silver Member

29 y/o Female from Canada
Rin_Weh is captain of the psychonauts.Rin_Weh is captain of the psychonauts.Rin_Weh is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 456, Level: 3 Points: 456, Level: 3 Points: 456, Level: 3

It's not the vommiting, if it occurs, that's the bad part.
It's the feeling of ones stomach being twisted violently like a pulsating sphere of red.
Puking would be a relief. Sometimes puking doesn't happen.
Not good to ingest a lot of this stuff.
Really....take the time and look for something with dextromethorphan only if one must use DXM.
Old 19-01-2010, 19:08
Silver Member

Female from United States
supervalu is an unknown quantity at this point

Last week, SWIM wanted to try DXM desperately and she took 15 generic Mucinex D tablets for a total of 6000mg guaifenesin and 300mg DXM. SWIM took a few Pepto-bismol tablets and some Tums in hopes of counteracting any nausea she might experience. SWIM has an extremely strong stomach and very rarely vomits.

Baaaad decision. SWIM vomited explosively and then had a seizure (probably unrelated to the guaifenesin, but worth noting anyway). She ended up in the ER for 2 days.

This stuff is serious. It is designed to assist the body in expelling! The trouble is that there is no telling how much will make your friend vomit until your friend actually tries it.

SWIM truly thought she would be able to suppress whatever nausea came up, but she was very, very mistaken.

Tell your friend to find a DXM-only product. It's worth it.

Good information to get out there
Old 26-01-2010, 04:45
Silver Member

23 y/o Female from United States
lightning_po is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%

My pet fox once supplemented 120mg of DXM to 1,200mg of guaifenesin (10mg DXM 100mg guaifenesin per 5ml) after drinking a bottle of DXM only syrup (118ml of 15mg dxm per 5ml syrup = 354mg). My fox had a mostly normal trip without an upset stomach but actually coughed a little bit during the trip, which freaked my pet fox out for a second. Based on how my fox reacted to the guaifenesin, I would NOT reccomend more than say 1,800mg max.
The only thing I ACTUALLY reccomend, based on my pet fox's experiences is to buy the syrup with only DXM ingredients. Drug companies reccomend no more than 1,200mg of guaifenesin every 4-6 hours, however.

Final Reccomendation : My pet fox told me telekenetically to tell SWIY to just drink the nasty DXM only syrup or extract from syrup and capsulize...
Old 05-02-2010, 21:59
R.I.P.

31 y/o Male from United States
dyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 8,663, Level: 13 Points: 8,663, Level: 13 Points: 8,663, Level: 13
Activity: 11.0% Activity: 11.0% Activity: 11.0%

Two days ago SWIM ended up incidentally ingesting 2,000 mg of guaifenesin between syrup and pills (gf bought the shit ones). He tripped fine and didn't get sick at all.

SWIM just ate about 4,000 mgs of it a couple hours ago (only had the BS pills this time) and doesn't feel sick at all. But he also ate a small bowl of ramen noodles which has muted the DXM effects some, but possibly also made the G-shit not fuck his stomach up.

Edit: Okay lets make that 6,000 mgs and still okay.

Last edited by dyingtomorrow; 05-02-2010 at 23:35.
Old 15-02-2010, 18:36

28 y/o Female
zorgin is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1

Ahhh...mucinex, packed with more guaifenesin than other preps...but also more DXM, making it tempting.

I have heard reports from others who have dared to venture into using mucinex recreationally, and the general verdict was 'not worth it'. The nausea never ended, and the experience in general was described as unbearable.

I have also heard that one might be risking kidney stones with such an excessive dose of guaif, but I don't have medical references to prove or disprove that.

IF your friend was determined to trip with mucinex, I would suggest not taking it past 5 pills/300mg DXM (and 6g of guaif). It would certainly be more uncomfortable than a DXM only trip.
Old 17-02-2010, 22:57
R.I.P.

31 y/o Male from United States
dyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 8,663, Level: 13 Points: 8,663, Level: 13 Points: 8,663, Level: 13
Activity: 11.0% Activity: 11.0% Activity: 11.0%

SWIM's been taking 6000 - 8000 mgs of guaif each time with his DXM 3-4 times a week for the past 3 weeks. (yeah yeah the pure DXM is better, gotta make due with what you have though right?)

He hasn't experienced any nausea or perceivable unpleasantness from it. Not saying that will hold true for everyone - just SWIM's experience.
Old 17-02-2010, 23:51
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

30 y/o Male
gonegrowin is a decent psychonaut.

SWIM has not been bothered by guaf ever. Except one occasion which resulted in projectile vomiting. SWIM has concluded this one time could be attributed to some other variable than the guaf.
Old 22-02-2010, 07:23

Male from USA - North Carolina
Medicator is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

swim wanted to know if guaifenesin could b dissolved in water out of mucinex tabs. Swim read some were that guifenesin was highly soluble in water and dxm was not so much.. any ideas??
Old 23-02-2010, 06:53

24 y/o Male from United States
qcksilver89 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1

my friend called the poison control center about this b/c there was a situation that arose one evening while @ a party- this kid apparently was freakin out and his friend asked someone to call- turns out, according to that organization, there's no fatal dose of guaifenasin... so have fun till you start puking
Old 25-02-2010, 05:48

Male from USA - North Carolina
Medicator is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

any ideas on my question?
Old 16-01-2011, 01:54

Male from United States
_TJM_ needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.
Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1
Guaifenesin harmful effects

SWIM had been looking around for a while. For nothing special, for reasons of who knows. SWIM found a bottle, of Robitussin DM Max. SWIM knows, when choosing quality Robitussin its best to avoid anything other than Dextromethorphan. SWIM is horribly wrecked currently mental and physical. SWIM is holding this bottle in his hands, probably will ingest it disregarding all the information he knows. Even tho, SWIMS first robotrip, he ingested well over 2,280MG of Guaifenesin, he came out okay only bad thing that happened was that he vomited three times. What is the exact possibility SWIM will explore anything worse than just throwing up? Has SWIY ever took the risk and ingested a 4 OZ bottle containing Guaifenesin?

Active Ingredients (in each 5 mL tsp)
Dextromethorphan HBr, USP 10 MG
Guaifenesin, USP 200mg

Massively disrespectful to ask "I want help even thouhg I will disregard all advice. Go fuck your self up elsewhere and kncok off trying to cause internet drama
Old 01-02-2011, 06:48
Silver Member

Female from United States
supervalu is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Guaifenesin harmful effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TJM_ View Post
SWIM had been looking around for a while. For nothing special, for reasons of who knows. SWIM found a bottle, of Robitussin DM Max. SWIM knows, when choosing quality Robitussin its best to avoid anything other than Dextromethorphan. SWIM is horribly wrecked currently mental and physical. SWIM is holding this bottle in his hands, probably will ingest it disregarding all the information he knows. Even tho, SWIMS first robotrip, he ingested well over 2,280MG of Guaifenesin, he came out okay only bad thing that happened was that he vomited three times. What is the exact possibility SWIM will explore anything worse than just throwing up? Has SWIY ever took the risk and ingested a 4 OZ bottle containing Guaifenesin?

Active Ingredients (in each 5 mL tsp)
Dextromethorphan HBr, USP 10 MG
Guaifenesin, USP 200mg
SWIM ingested less Guaifenesin than that and vomited so violently that she had a seizure. So, SWIY would have to be an idiot to try that knowing what it could do.
Old 03-02-2011, 16:36

Male from United States

Guaifenesin Helps loosen up mucus in the chest and throat in order to help somebody who takes it to cough. In really high doses somebody who ingested large quantities of Guaifenesin will feel nauseous even after puking. AFOAF used Guaifenesin containing cough syrup three times in a row when nothing was available. AFOAF did not feel any harmful effects from 4,000MG+ but he is very tolerant of stuff like this.

P.S
Swim is very displeased with the negetive rep given on a post above. Sometimes somebody might stumble upon this forum while intoxicated and think its something that its not. Such rube behavior should not be tolerated even in a negative rep post. Prick.

If you disagree with a rep, report it and explain why you think it is unfair. Don't discuss it on the thread and don't call the repper a "prick". Doing so will get you even more bad rep. I.e. this.
Flaming and addressing rep. Read the rules.
Do not address rep in a thread. If you have a problem report the rep and deal with it properly.
Old 03-02-2011, 16:42

24 y/o Male from United States
qcksilver89 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1

Health officials associated with poison control centers can confirm that taking massive amounts of guafenisen has little to no harmful effects on a person. ... Another thing is i noticed the quote about "being mentally and physically wrecked" but refusing to hold off on tripping. That is foolish and unsafe in my honest opinion. Do your research and know your body- always stay safe!
Old 03-02-2011, 17:01

Male from United States

Quote:
SWIM ingested less Guaifenesin than that and vomited so violently that she had a seizure. So, SWIY would have to be an idiot to try that knowing what it could do.
So people have seizures from vomiting now eh?

Guafenisen Is just something to avoid. Just because it causes nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, or drowsiness doesn't mean its still okay to take every now and than. If somebody is in a store and buys a bottle that has Guifenisen, why wouldn't that person just reach over to the left or right a little bit to get proper cough syrup? Guafenisen is not necessarily horribly harmful or toxic but who wants to have a 99% chance of throwing up on a robotrip?
Old 04-02-2011, 16:09

29 y/o Male from United States
undeadroguelol should review received reputation comments.

Its all about how your body reacts,

swim has taken roughly 10,000 mg of Guaifenesin and didnt even have an upset stomach.

however during the same experience with the same medicine that contained Guaifenesin, swim's friend took roughly 3000 mg of Guaifenesin and vomited/dry heaved+intensely sweated for about half an hour but was fine after that

there is really no way for you to know if its going to be pushing it unless you try it.
Old 04-02-2011, 18:10
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom
dala is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 101, Level: 1 Points: 101, Level: 1 Points: 101, Level: 1

I assume that pure dxm is not available in the U.S unlike U.K where there is several sourses for the pure stuff.
Is there a law stopping the sale of pure DXM there? or is it possible to U.S citizens to buy from uk websites.
The prices are reasonable and its clean way to take it, no worrys with fillers and binders, syrups etc or other drugs a al Guaifenesin.
Old 04-02-2011, 18:37
Titanium Member

25 y/o Male from USA - Kentucky
Moving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond repute

My friend uses codeine syrup 10/100 per 5 mL codeine/guaifenesin. There is 236 mg of codeine in the bottle and 2360 mg of guaif. Most of the time, my friend will have an initial queezy feeling that goes away after 20 minutes or so once the codeine kicks in. But once the codeine wears off (and its anti-diarreahal effects wear off) my friend will usually have diarreah but it's usually not very bad. It usually just takes one trip to the bathroom to get rid of. Lol, sorry for the TMI. He has never vomited on it.

But the most common side effects he has from guaif are nausea and diarreah. These things aren't so bad when you're under the infulence of codeine but they could definitley ruin a dxm experience if it happened while one was tripping.

If you can get DXM without it, you should.

Last edited by Moving Pictures; 04-02-2011 at 18:44. Reason: editing
Old 06-02-2011, 19:48

27 y/o Male from United States
JamesKToke is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1

Those extra strength Mucinex DM pills is all my cousin used, and he never had a problem with nausea, he actually got more nauseous when he drank the syrup with just DXM.
Old 07-02-2011, 21:52
Titanium Member

43 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Piglet really adds to the discussion.Piglet really adds to the discussion.Piglet really adds to the discussion.Piglet really adds to the discussion.Piglet really adds to the discussion.Piglet really adds to the discussion.
Points: 517, Level: 3 Points: 517, Level: 3 Points: 517, Level: 3

Add cold acetone. The DXM.HBr drops out...
Old 30-05-2012, 06:09

Male from United States
j-dub mania is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Long time lurker first time poster. Swim has injested 7200 mg's of the stuff and not felt even slightly sick, but swims friends have also injested less tan 4000 and vomited violently. Based on what everyone is saying, and from swims experience it seems as though it is a very "hit or miss" substance. Either you react violently, or not at all. My best recommendation would be to start at a low dose and build up from there to test yourself before diving in head first. This may take a while, but is well worth it, knowing the possible outcomes if things go bad.
Old 08-02-2014, 23:26

28 y/o Male from United States
TorpidVoyager is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

I realise that this thread is several years old, but it's the first resultant link when googling guaifenesin overdose, and I found the information conflicting, if not inconclusive at best.

I was compelled to create an account to add experience on the topic. The strict rules caused account creation to take several days, so I sincerely apologise if I've unintentionally left out relevant information. I will recount the experience I witnessed as accurately as possible. I also apologise for the length of the post, but I want to share my thorough experience.

It is worth note first that I am a former regular high dose user of dxm, familiar with all plateaus of recreational use. I used to use triple c's for the most part, and less often delsym or other tussin syrups/gels. Somewhat hesitant with the unsatisfactory information I found, I decided to use the mucinex maximum strength tablets discussed here (60mg dextromethorphan & 1200mg guaifenesin) to indulge in a third and hopeful fourth plateau trip.

I am familiar with the required dose of dxm for the trip I wanted to reach that morning. I weigh 70kg and was interested in reaching as much as possible in the 7.5-15mg/kg range which is 525-1050mg. So at 60mg per tablet, 9=540mg 12=720mg. I often regularly used a box and a half (24 tablets) of (30mg) CCC's resulting in 720mg, so I decided the equivalent 12 mucinex would be my best bet. Total dose 720mg dxm & 14,400mg guaifenesin. This gives me 10.3mg/kg dxm and 205.7mg/kg guaifenesin. Still, the mucinex is 12 hour with bi-layer regular and extended release.

At about 6am, I took 9 to test the waters and waited for the reported nausea. At 6:45, I felt fine and took 3 more. That is to say, I felt fine discounting the symptoms I initially acquired the medicine for, because I was sick with soar throat, headache, congestion, cough, runny nose, some sinus pressure, and most likely fever. My worst complaint was the bad taste of the tablets on my lips, and some dry mouth. As I'd already planned, I drank two bottles of water.

I shortly started ascending, and smoothly enjoyed about 12 hours of hard tripping with a particular playlist in my earphones laying in bed visualising. It was amazing and because of the content and complexity of the trip, I had an overall positive experience. After that point, I was unable to finish much food because of poor appetite, but I still didn't notice any nausea. Mentally, I was still blatantly unfit for public. I went back to bed and tripped more in silence...

I then started making urgent trips to urinate, often without being able to urinate for having just finished doing so. I experienced marked but intermittent pain while urinating, but continued to drink more water, and after a few hours I was fine.

I slept, dreamed, woke, daydreamed, and slipped in and out of sleep until morning. The total mental distortion lasted about 36 hours, eventually coming down very gradually to clear mindedness. I continued taking a single tablet for my cold symptoms about every 12-16 hours, and four days after the initial dose, I decided to take 6 more that evening. I tripped vividly all night but much more subtly than the other day. I was totally unable to fall asleep that night, but returned to sobriety and sleep the next night. I then stopped taking them altogether to see where my symptoms stood.

I was pretty much over the cold it seemed, but I found that I was short of breath, and would often feel the persistent need to yawn without the ability to satisfy it. The deeper I would inhale, I would have a wheeze at the end of my breath, and never felt like I could totally fill my lungs. This actually lasted for several days, and barely lessened in severity over that period of time. This was rather unpleasant, and the worst part of the experience by far. I have no concrete evidence that this was from the guiafenesin, but from the circumstances, I can only assume so.

In conclusion, I will stick to CCC's and delsym for dxm, but I'd honestly probably do up to 12 again if I felt that the trip was necessary and I didn't have access to anything else. I don't anticipate it.

Share this on:

Tags
codeine, drug, dxm, guaifenesin, mucinex