Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Codeine
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 24-12-2010, 23:45
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from United States
lorentz5 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 129, Level: 1 Points: 129, Level: 1 Points: 129, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Smoking purple drank

Recently (2009/2010), I've seen a trend in American youth who dip cigs/blunts into purple drank and smoke it, with the rational that it's more economical than sippin. The experience delivers a non-placebo, very mild and clean opiate buzz/sedation for about 30-45min for people without any tolerance.

There is disturbingly little information about this available online.

(1) I believe this method of administration is asinine due to the vaporized dyes, thickeners, sugars, and wasted codeine. However, I can't find solid evidence that it is harmful. What exactly happens to codeine and promethazine when they are heated to those temperatures, and how do the resulting compounds affect the body?

(2) I'd like to know what is causing the high.

Theories:

1. Someone claimed that it simply the small amount of (non-freebased) codeine, similar to how people claim smoking cocaine is non-placebo. However, the amount used to coat the cigarette/blunt in total may contain about 5mg codeine total (in addition to the promethazine), and if a decent amount of that is burnt/wasted, then there should be no discernable effect at all.

2. Also, it was mentioned that since nicotine is a mild MAOi, it may contribute to the potentiation of the opiates. However, this does not explain why the effect persists with no tobacco.

Ideas?
Old 25-12-2010, 00:04
Titanium Member

25 y/o Male from USA - Kentucky
Moving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond repute
Re: Smoking purple drank

I've heard of this several times and cry bullshit on it. The amount of the syrup you need to feel anything would not fit on a cigarette or a blunt or a joint. It would have to be literally dripping with syrup. Then if it was allowed to dry, you'd have a whole bunch of sticky nasty shit on your cigarette that would be damn hard (probably impossible) to light.

It's not like PCP where a few mL are enough for a dose. You'd need tens and tens of mL for a dose of codeine or promethazine. Not to mention how inneffectient smoke those substances would be.

The high anyone claims to get it totally placebo, I'm positive. At least with cocaine in a joint, you put enough so that some will actually vaporize and reach your blood stream but this is just nonsense.

This is not a valid way to get high off of codeine/promethazine syrup. If you're consedering it, I advise you to spare yourself the horrible effect it would have on you lungs and just pour the syrup down the drain.

Also, the reason why PCP works this way is because the solvent used (probably ether) in the solution will evaporate and leave behind just the drug. With a syrup, you'd get tons of bullshit left behind after it dried.

Last edited by Moving Pictures; 25-12-2010 at 00:07. Reason: edit
Old 25-12-2010, 00:35
Banned

Male from Mexico
Killa Weigha is on the way upKilla Weigha is on the way upKilla Weigha is on the way up

My coyote's Houston coyotees used to roll a coke-laced joint and dip it in cough syrup. Animally (get it, he's not a person?), he would rather drink the sizzurp, toot the coke and chill for awhile before ending with the joint. But, hey; other canines huff gasoline and cooking spray so who is he to say?
Old 25-12-2010, 00:43
Titanium Member

25 y/o Male from USA - Kentucky
Moving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond repute

^I was going to mention that. Texas is where I heard about this nonsense.
Old 25-12-2010, 06:50
Silver Member

31 y/o Male from United States
SmaLLtown is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1

Yes, In Texas. It was a fad along time ago. Dipping it and letting it dry, then smoking it does not enhance the experience. Maybe a placebo effect if one believes hard enough. It is a waste of syrup as well as a waste of time if you ask swim.
Old 25-12-2010, 07:28
Silver Member

Male from USA - California
Enlightenment is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 270, Level: 2 Points: 270, Level: 2 Points: 270, Level: 2
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

College campuses hand out sizzurp pretty freely, and thus many of swim's friends had copious amounts of codeine/prometh at certain points over the course of a year.
SWIM would say that while smoking it does produce something of a buzz, it is nothing like drinking it; it's far, far less efficient.
Having said that, SWIM thinks that it might appeal to the people who thoroughly enjoy the head rush that comes with smoking a blunt. The weed + blunt wrap + a small amount of codeine = a very good buzz/high in some people's eyes.
And yes - codeine dipped cigs are very difficult to light, but once it's lit, if you smoke it quickly, keep the embers hot hot, and its been well-dipped, it can give the smoker quite a nice buzz/rush.
If you're going to take codeine - drink it. If you feel it's necessary to smoke it - do i through a bong to save your lungs a little bit; it dirties up the bowl nicely but it's way less harsh than smoking the syrup in a blunt.
Old 25-12-2010, 11:41
Silver Member

33 y/o Male from United States
4bucks is learning how to become a psychonaut.

Dank knows that smoking cocaine is NO placebo. But smoking codeine?Idiotic,Irrational and COMPLETELY wasteful. I wouldn't be surprised if it was also very harmful to your physical health.
Old 29-12-2010, 18:59
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom
Razorbladekiss is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 271, Level: 2 Points: 271, Level: 2 Points: 271, Level: 2

In swims opinion, codeine is extremely sensitive to heat. By burning it... You'd end up destroying the codeine. Not really worth while, and as its been said above its easier to just drink the syrup.

Share this on:

Tags
blunts, cigarette, codeine, codeine syrup, drugs, promethazine, purple drank, sizzurp, smoking codeine, vaporize, vaporizer, vaporizing, weed