Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Downers and sleeping pills > Benzodiazepines
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Benzodiazepines All about benzodiazepines (downers)

Old 10-12-2010, 05:18
Silver Member

31 y/o Male from United States
Kalendren is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 55, Level: 1 Points: 55, Level: 1 Points: 55, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Sandoz Alprazolam

My dog just got a script for alprazolam and it is Sandoz generic brand. Its .5mg and has no effect whatsoever. The dog is regularly taking a 1mg clonazepam script (this generic brand is Qualitest and works fine for long term anxiety) as well. Should the dog have got a higher alprazolam script?

Also, this tastes AWFUL! The dog just took it with water like he normally does and it almost made him gag. This is a doctor script from a local well-known chain pharmacy that starts with a "W" so it is not internet or street bought. Is it just normal for it to taste awful or did the dog get bad pills?

(If I am not supposed to post any brand names, please tell me and delete this post. I am really just curious about the brand of alprazolam my dog got.)
Old 10-12-2010, 05:31
Banned

Male from United States
SlightlyBitter is on the way upSlightlyBitter is on the way upSlightlyBitter is on the way up
Re: Sandoz Alprazolam

If it tastes like bitter dog shit than the pills are likely good. If you were on 1mg clonazepam my rat does not understand why you were not scripted an equal amount of alprazolam. Try to increase your dose slowly, maybe .25 until desired effect is reached.

Last edited by Phenoxide; 08-09-2012 at 14:08. Reason: post restored
Old 10-12-2010, 15:32
Silver Member

So alpra is SUPPOSED to taste like bitter dog shit? I mean, my dog eats his own shit, but even this made him gag! Well, at least now I know they're likely good.
Old 10-12-2010, 16:16
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from USA - Texas
hateyoul3itch needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

alprazolam tastes very bitter and somewhat "sour". Most certainly unpleasant taste. Idk about it being as bad as dog shit tho.... but anyway, that doesnt really make sense because 1mg clonazepam is supposedly = 1mg alprazolam for management of anxiety. I guess you just got ripped off.
Old 10-12-2010, 18:11
Platinum Member & Advisor

34 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,306, Level: 20 Points: 19,306, Level: 20 Points: 19,306, Level: 20
Activity: 59.0% Activity: 59.0% Activity: 59.0%

The patient should talk to their doctor, possibly see if their insurance will cover the cost of brand-name alprazolam.
Old 10-12-2010, 18:25
Titanium Member

25 y/o Male from USA - Kentucky
Moving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond repute

.5 is have no effect beacuse you are already tolerant to 1 mg clonazepam which is stronger. There's no big mystery here. It's just tolerance. All alprazolam pills taste nasty. Well, my friend doesn't mind them at all, he chews them up and swallows them without water even but most people find them nasty. Just put the pill as for back on your tounge as possible and swallow it with a lot of water. Or wrap it in a cigarette paper and swallow it.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good explanation: Informative
Old 11-12-2010, 16:04
Silver Member

Okay, so the dog needs to take at least 1mg to get the desired effect. Btw, it was different doctors who prescribed each pill. One is a specialty doctor for some medical problems the dog is having and the other is the dog's family doctor. The specialty doctor knows the dog is on 1mg of clonazepam but still apparently thought .5 alprazolam would work.
Old 11-12-2010, 17:28
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15

Moving Pictures pretty much answered the OP's questions.

Although I would say that .5mg of Xanax on top of clonazepam should have an effect if taken during an acute anxiety attack, which is generally why a doctor would prescribe both. Usually the (long acting) clonzepam is taken daily for generalized anxiety, with the (shorter acting) alprazolam taken as needed for acute anxiety attacks.

Did the patient try to take the alprazolam (Xanax) instead of the clonazepam (Klonopin)? Did the patient take the Xanax for an acute anxiety attack or "just because"? I would think that would make a difference.

Having said that, it very well may be that due to being benzo tolerant via the Klonopin, the patient may need .75mg-1mg of Xanax for acute anxiety. Perhaps trying .75mg-1mg of Xanax during the next anxiety attack, and if that works better tell the doctor that on the next visit & see if the patient can get a dose increase.

I, too, have heard people state that (all different brands of) Xanax is one of the foulest tasting pills on the planet, but don't understand that myself. I've had a few small 'scripts for Xanax over the years, & my husband has a monthly 'script for them; he's absolutely HORRIFIED that I just let them dissolve under my tongue, whereas he likes to have a big glass of water when he takes his, to try to get the taste out. However, I don't need much of my prescription (.25-.5mg, so a quarter to half a pill), so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. But I really don't think they taste THAT bad.

Valerian gelcaps - now THOSE are some foul-tasting pills! *shudder*

~Kailey
Old 14-12-2010, 21:22
Silver Member

29 y/o Male from USA - California
Pieces Mended is on the way upPieces Mended is on the way upPieces Mended is on the way up
Points: 470, Level: 3 Points: 470, Level: 3 Points: 470, Level: 3
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%

SWIM has had limited experience with other brands of Alprazolam, but he can attest to the fact that Sandoz is essentially the best generic manufacturer on the market. He's had five medications (four current, one previous) dispensed by a different generic company. He at some point was then given the Sandoz version and it was day-and-night. By the third time this happened, he started requesting it specifically and was lucky enough to find a pharmacy who would honor the request.

The metallic taste is not a pleasant one, but that is unfortunately an attribute of the drug and not any inactive ingredients used by a manufacturer. Again, SWIM doesn't work for them, but he's found Sandoz is also much better here than some other generics. The Sandoz pills are quite hard and don't tend to melt in SWIM's mouth the way some other brands do. So, there is a lot less suffering from the taste. SWIM typically takes out his pill case at his regular intervals while on the go and usually doesn't have water, so he definitely sympathies.

Share this on:

Tags
alprazolam, clonazepam, generic medication differences, generics v brand, inactive ingredients, pharmacy, sandoz, xanax