Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Heroin
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 16-11-2010, 17:39
Titanium Member

25 y/o Male from USA - Kentucky
Moving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond repute
Why heroin is cut with quinine?

I'm reading a book called The Coming Plague: Newly Emerging Diseases In A World Out of Balance by Laurie Garrett. Most of it was written in '93ish but it is still very relavent. Discussing infectious diseases in iv drug users, she says this:

Quote:
In 1929, malaria caused by Plasmodium falciparum broke out in dowtown Cairo, Egypt, due to needle sharing by local drug addicts. By the late 1930s a similar heroin-driven malaria epidemic was spreading through New York City, reaching such high levels among drug addicts that it was considered epidemic. Six percent of New York City jail inmates at the time had signs of malaria infection-all of them injecting drug users. One hundred and thirty-six New Yorkers died of malaria during the period-none of them had been bitten by mosquitoes. The epidemic stopped when the heroin retailers, concerned about losing their customers, started adding quinine to their cut heroin.
She lists this as a source: D.P. Levine and J.D. Sobel, Infections in Intravenous Drug Abusers (Oxford, Eng.: Oxford University Press, 1991). I haven't read this study but if I can find it online, I will and will post a link.

So what do you guys think? It seems reasonable enough that dealers would cut their product with quinine if malaria was breaking out among drug users. We also must remember that in the '30s no such thing as a needle exchange existed. Sharing needles was commonplace, almost universal among street addicts. They were hard to come by since they weren't the plastic throw away kind like they use today. Also, people didn't have as much knowledge of how disease spreads like they do today.

I don't want to get into a discussion on general heroin cutting, that isn't allowed, but I want to discuss this in more of a historical/medical sense. If anyone has opinions or information on this, feel free to add.
Old 19-11-2010, 16:45
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

26 y/o Male from United Kingdom
jmp23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Why heroin is cut with quinine?

AFAIK when heroin is cut with quinine it increases the "rush" felt after IV injection quite dramatically. I recall reading a study which administered addicts with pure diactylmorphine, and another group with diactylmorphine cut with quinine. The group given the "dirty" heroin reported higher satisfaction levels.
Old 21-11-2010, 00:37
Palladium Member

Male from Earth
Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.
Points: 4,315, Level: 9 Points: 4,315, Level: 9 Points: 4,315, Level: 9
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

Purely because it makes iv users feel a more intensd hit. also it makes people incredibly itchy making them think its good. there have been many cases of quinine overdose.
Old 08-08-2011, 18:51
Titanium Member

Female from United States
DriftAway is captain of the psychonauts.DriftAway is captain of the psychonauts.DriftAway is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 372, Level: 3 Points: 372, Level: 3 Points: 372, Level: 3
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

A few years ago I went to Indonesia for a surf trip. I was prescribed quinine as an anti malarial agent and I remember that the dose was pretty high and I had to take the high dose for 10 days before my flight. I remember that after a dose I would have slight hallucinogen like trails and I felt mentally separate from my body. I talked to a fellow surfer and he said that he felt the same type of thing. He would take double the dose and he told me that he had a trip like a weak schroom trip. I never understood why we felt this way.
I apologize I dont remember the amounts this was back in 2002.
Old 29-03-2012, 07:31

Male from United States
3202hill is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Pictures View Post
I'm reading a book called The Coming Plague: Newly Emerging Diseases In A World Out of Balance by Laurie Garrett. Most of it was written in '93ish but it is still very relavent. Discussing infectious diseases in iv drug users, she says this:

She lists this as a source: D.P. Levine and J.D. Sobel, Infections in Intravenous Drug Abusers (Oxford, Eng.: Oxford University Press, 1991). I haven't read this study but if I can find it online, I will and will post a link.

So what do you guys think? It seems reasonable enough that dealers would cut their product with quinine if malaria was breaking out among drug users. We also must remember that in the '30s no such thing as a needle exchange existed. Sharing needles was commonplace, almost universal among street addicts. They were hard to come by since they weren't the plastic throw away kind like they use today. Also, people didn't have as much knowledge of how disease spreads like they do today.

I don't want to get into a discussion on general heroin cutting, that isn't allowed, but I want to discuss this in more of a historical/medical sense. If anyone has opinions or information on this, feel free to add.
I think you are right, They used to cut heroin with procaine in Chicago and it was strong H but made your hearing echo. It was very strong Chicago Herrera dope.
Old 30-03-2012, 00:24

24 y/o Male from United States
Ofwgkta needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.
Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%

Interesting. Never heard of this, thanks for the info. Was a pretty good read.

SWIM apologizes in advance for kinda hi-jacking OP's thread, but instead of creating another thread, SWIM figured while the topic of Heroin being cut was brought up, he would mention/ask this.

SWIM heard from two different people, about two different dealers in different cities, that those two dealers cut their H with shoe polish? SWIM lives in the west coast, so obviously only black tar/brown heroin is available (China White is rarely available, if it is it's super expensive last time SWIM came across some), but wouldn't cutting heroin with shoe polish be.... deadly and toxic for the users? Especially IV users? SWIM first heard of this shoe polish cut Heroin, about 1.5-2 years ago, and recently SWIM's friend told him about a dealer he knew that cut the Heroin with Shoe Polish? Apparently he doesn't cut it anymore, or doesn't cut it with shoe polish anymore at least. Has SWIY's ever heard of any dealer cut their black tar with Shoe Polish?

Last edited by Micklemouse; 31-03-2012 at 16:28. Reason: prices
Old 30-03-2012, 07:45
Palladium Member

24 y/o Female from United States
runnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medline
Points: 4,036, Level: 9 Points: 4,036, Level: 9 Points: 4,036, Level: 9
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

If that is true it means dealers back then were a lot more thoughtful than they are today with the crazy (and often dangerous) cutting agents that are being used.

Wouldn't it be nice if today's dealers took more of an interest in their customers well being? Like "hey runnerupbeautyqueenm you've been sick a lot so I took it upon myself to mix some vitamin C into your bag. Oh and I almost forgot the can of chunky soup I brought for you."
Old 30-03-2012, 13:49
Titanium Member

Male from United Kingdom
Qualityplant really adds to the discussion.Qualityplant really adds to the discussion.Qualityplant really adds to the discussion.Qualityplant really adds to the discussion.Qualityplant really adds to the discussion.Qualityplant really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,074, Level: 5 Points: 1,074, Level: 5 Points: 1,074, Level: 5
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Does quinine still effect the high if the H is smoked?
Old 30-03-2012, 14:24
Palladium Member

33 y/o Male from United States
trdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,537, Level: 12 Points: 7,537, Level: 12 Points: 7,537, Level: 12
Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualityplant View Post
Does quinine still effect the high if the H is smoked?
Yes, quinine will effect you regardless of method of use. Quinine is an all around (meaning works on all) potentiate for opiates in general. The method of use does not matter, it's the substance mixed with it.

You could snort, smoke, slam, plug heroin, oxy, codeine, opium and quinine will make all of them stronger.

If you are asking for your friend, please also suggest to him/her that they are careful and back down usual amount until they know how hard it will hit. Halving the usual dose is most of the time safe enough to know where to start and then move up.
Old 30-03-2012, 22:41
Silver Member

Male from Scotland
Hardstepa is captain of the psychonauts.Hardstepa is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 311, Level: 2 Points: 311, Level: 2 Points: 311, Level: 2
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%

When I got into hitting up a few years ago now people used to say how you would get a kinda itchy feeling from good heroin.It was usually on the palms of my hands I got it.It would always pass quickly but after using a few different types of gear I kinda realised that this didnt always mean it was good heroin.It wasnt just the opiate kinda itch you sometimes get it was kinda different,a bit more intense but faster acting.Some people used to say it was the 'bash'.Could this have been quinine??anyone else felt this ??
Old 31-03-2012, 13:13
Silver Member

36 y/o Male from Thailand
chopmow is a decent psychonaut.chopmow is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 238, Level: 2 Points: 238, Level: 2 Points: 238, Level: 2
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%

A decent sized hit of Decent Afghan no 3 gives a feeling similar to pins and needles but also with a definate numbness that last about 30 secs, it is most intense around your head hands and feet. It can be so intense that to me it is unpleasant. I'm sure to many it is very enjoyable as it is the first sign to let you know it's decent stuff. As I always know the gear will be strong enough to do it the novelty factor has worn off.

Different batches of H3 have differing degrees of intensity, but interestingly H4 has a very different feeling that can be felt on the body, much more enjoyable waves of numbness. Mmmmmmm

Share this on:

Tags
baltimore, cocaine, cut cocaine, cut heroin, cutting agent, cutting agents, cutting drugs, dealers, drug, drug dealers, drugs, drugs forum, drugs-forum, heroin, heroin cut, junkies, methamphetamine, quinine, why is heroin cut with quinine