Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Downers and sleeping pills
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Downers and sleeping pills Anxiety Meds, Sleeping Pills and Skeletal Muscle Relaxants

Old 28-12-2005, 04:57
AKA Miss Methylene

26 y/o
pharmapsyche is on the way uppharmapsyche is on the way uppharmapsyche is on the way up
Points: 962, Level: 4 Points: 962, Level: 4 Points: 962, Level: 4
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Butalbital abuse potential

Someone who isn't me recently aquired 9 generic Fioricet tablets. Each tab contains butalbital 50mg, acetaminophen 325mg, and a small amount of caffeine. SWIM has had two previous encounters with Fioricet; once with 4 tablets (200mg butalbital) and another with a similar amount. The second time was strange because SWIM thought he was taking hydrocodone but after looking up the imprint realized it was fioricet.

The first experience, SWIM recalls, was a unique feeling of sedation and relaxation, different from the benzodiazepines or alcohol. It wasn't directly euphoric, more like a feeling of serenity and tranquility. It was interesting.

I know that butalbital has abuse potential and can lead to dependency and tolerance. My question is, does anyone have past experience with butalbital, and if so, what was your take on it?
Old 28-12-2005, 17:54
Psychedelic Shepherdess

37 y/o Female from United Kingdom
Jatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 10,860, Level: 15 Points: 10,860, Level: 15 Points: 10,860, Level: 15
Activity: 6.8% Activity: 6.8% Activity: 6.8%
SWIM would be very careful here: She has no experience of butabital (which is a barbiturate) but the acetaminophen (paracetamol) in your compound preparation has the potential to cause serious liver damage (ie: failure and death). Max recommended dose for aminocetaphen is 4g daily, much less if you drink alcohol to excess, or are any other drugs which cause liver enzyme induction. SWIM would no more take even that recommended maximum dose daily than she would chew off her own arm.

Sorry SWIM hasn't answered your question, but she has seen people seriously damaged through recreational use of compound preparations containing aminocetaphen.
Old 28-12-2005, 20:53
AKA Miss Methylene

26 y/o
pharmapsyche is on the way uppharmapsyche is on the way uppharmapsyche is on the way up
I appreciate the info, it's always good to be reminded of the danger that acetaminophen carries. I have had only one APAP-induced nightmare, and lemme tell you I'll never cross that line again. I puked my guts out for 4 hours and spent the whole time thinking "this is it, I'm done for". I'll be sure to keep my intake below toxic levels!
Old 05-01-2006, 10:48
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male
sidewalkpharmacist is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 138, Level: 1 Points: 138, Level: 1 Points: 138, Level: 1
would a cwe be possable? kinda late to ask this but for knowledges sake
Old 05-01-2006, 23:09

Male from United States
INodHardOhYeah probably knows what they are talking about.INodHardOhYeah probably knows what they are talking about.INodHardOhYeah probably knows what they are talking about.INodHardOhYeah probably knows what they are talking about.INodHardOhYeah probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 491, Level: 3 Points: 491, Level: 3 Points: 491, Level: 3
* bad post by SWIM, sorry *

Post Quality Evaluations:
Wrong and dangerous misinformation! Please do some homework!

Last edited by INodHardOhYeah; 13-07-2006 at 20:31.
Old 06-01-2006, 00:11
Banned

Male
Nagognog2 must think in IUPACNagognog2 must think in IUPACNagognog2 must think in IUPACNagognog2 must think in IUPACNagognog2 must think in IUPACNagognog2 must think in IUPACNagognog2 must think in IUPACNagognog2 must think in IUPACNagognog2 must think in IUPACNagognog2 must think in IUPACNagognog2 must think in IUPAC
Points: 3,186, Level: 8 Points: 3,186, Level: 8 Points: 3,186, Level: 8
The more we find out about acetaminophen - the worse it looks to your liver and kidneys. Last Words: Don't use it unless it's an emergency. If you explain your concern to a doctor, he/she will likely prescribe the substance minus the acetaminphen. Or find a better doctor.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:18
AKA Miss Methylene

26 y/o
I had a toxic reaction with about 5 grams of acetaminophen, but I was alright after spending the night puking and feeling dizzy. Could 5 grams damage your liver? Or do you really have to exceed doses of 8 grams or so before that happens?
Old 16-02-2006, 23:42
Banned

Male
Aopocetx should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1
I've used butalbital a few times (each time 200mg, at 130 pounds). I enjoy it a lot. I've also heard hydroxyzine potentiates barbiturates and it just so happens I have some. How much stronger will butalbital be with how much hydroxyzine?
Old 17-02-2006, 11:04
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Male from United Kingdom
Micklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 6,209, Level: 11 Points: 6,209, Level: 11 Points: 6,209, Level: 11
Activity: 17.8% Activity: 17.8% Activity: 17.8%
Quote:
Originally Posted by INodHardOhYeah
No jatleka 4g of acetaminophen is not going to pose a threat to your liver, when you get up into the range of 11g is when you really need to worry.
Acetaminophen is not as bas as everyone makes it out to be. When you put it into perspective Binge drinking, a common practice for drug users, is far more damaging than daily tylenol use.

Wrong, wrong, wrong! Where are you getting your information from? Wherever it is it's just, well, wrong! If your liver and kidneys are already working hard or have taken a battering recently (and even if they haven't), any amount of paracetamol above 4g (sometimes less) will potentially have a toxic effect. although this will vary greatly from individual to individual. It's nasty stuff, useful for mild headaches, bringing down fevers, and killing yourself in a slow, painful and drawn out manner. Do not exceed the maximum stated dose unless you want to be a statistic or considered for a Darwin Award.

http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic7.htm

http://qjmed.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/95/9/609

Post Quality Evaluations:
thanks for setting that straight
Old 20-02-2006, 20:30
AKA Miss Methylene

26 y/o
4 grams of APAP will probably have a toxic effect but it won't be anything more then intense sweating and loads of vomiting. Try to avoid anything ABOVE 4 grams. I'd consider 4 grams the absolute maximum to ingest.
Old 20-09-2008, 01:25

30 y/o Female
justprescribed should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Re: Butalbital abuse potential

I was just prescribed butalbital/apap/caffeine. i have a family member who is in recovery for using drugs but still has temptation. can he abuse this medication. if so how. Should I hide it?
Old 20-09-2008, 04:49
Banned

Male
Panthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline Medline
Points: 2,850, Level: 7 Points: 2,850, Level: 7 Points: 2,850, Level: 7

Butalbital is a barbituate. Even removing the acetaminophen (paracetamol) won't help the fact that butalbital is highly addictive. And the addiction will lead to death unless medical help is sought. The drug causes tolerance - requiring ever increasing doses. While the tolerance increases, the lethal dose does not keep pace. So eventually you have to take a fatal overdose to avoid going into withdrawl. And the withdrawl can be fatal as well - unless handled by a doctor in the hospital.

Sound like fun? Butalbital is the last of the barbituates that is currently being prescribed with any frequency. They used to be all over the place. Wonder why they have all but (butalbital) disappeared?
Old 20-09-2008, 16:10

30 y/o Female
justprescribed should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

no that doesn't sound like fun...i don't know what else to do it was prescribed to me for my migraines. i have tried about everything else out there. so my roommate who is in recovery can abuse it....that sucks....guess i will be hiding this medication...if not asking my doctor for something else... thanks for the info.
Old 20-09-2008, 16:25

Male from United States
Spare Chaynge really adds to the discussion.Spare Chaynge really adds to the discussion.Spare Chaynge really adds to the discussion.Spare Chaynge really adds to the discussion.Spare Chaynge really adds to the discussion.Spare Chaynge really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,839, Level: 6 Points: 1,839, Level: 6 Points: 1,839, Level: 6

If swim took all of them this would be 2925mg of apap. That would not be fun.. Not recommended. Could be toxic in some.. apap toxicity seems to be individual, some would die at this amount others would not..if you died or didnt massive liver damage would probably be a result..... but maybe swim could take one. Swim is not sure on the Barb in this situation but every medical professional swims ever talked to has just flat out told swim find a different drug the potential side effects from barb abuse are just to much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracetamol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butalbital

apap toxcity
"Evidence of liver toxicity may develop in one to four days, although, in severe cases, it may be evident in 12 hours." wiki

that is some scary shit

Butalbital should not be mixed with alcohol due to increased risk of intoxication, increased respiratory depression, and increased liver toxicity when it is a butalbital combination including paracetamol.

a wise suggestion.

Last edited by Spare Chaynge; 20-09-2008 at 16:33.

Share this on:

Tags
apap, butalbital, caffeine, drugs, fioricet, overdose, recreational use, withdrawal