Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiates & Opioids Opiates & Opioids.

Old 19-10-2010, 15:14
Silver Member

29 y/o Male from USA - California
Pieces Mended is on the way upPieces Mended is on the way upPieces Mended is on the way up
Points: 470, Level: 3 Points: 470, Level: 3 Points: 470, Level: 3
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%
Something doesn't seem right here with Tramadol dose...

So SWIM's Golden Retriever (literally, a friend's dog) weighing about 75lbs went into a vet this week. She's about 13 years old and has some fairly severe arthritic issues in her back legs and hips. Because of kidney issues, NSAIDs weren't an option for daily use.

They prescribed SWIM's dog 150mg Tramadol per dose, twice daily. That's 300mg of Tramadol a day!

Now, SWIM has pretty severe back issues, and has been prescribed Tramadol for the good days, with Hydro for the really bad ones. The thing SWIM can't believe is that he is prescribed 50mg per dose as needed. His dog, which weighs about half what he does, is prescribed three times the dose? Is SWIM's personal dosage on the very low side? He has felt it's only ever really taken the edge off- would it be worth mentioning this as an odd coincidence to his doctor and see if he'll adjust the dose?
Old 29-10-2010, 21:54
Palladium Member

43 y/o Male from England
Space Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 5,934, Level: 11 Points: 5,934, Level: 11 Points: 5,934, Level: 11
Activity: 6.9% Activity: 6.9% Activity: 6.9%
Re: Something doesn't seem right here with Tramadol dose...

The recommended Tramadol dose in dog is from 1-4mg/Kg. Your dog weights 75lbs = 34 Kg = 34-136mg Tramadol so your dogs dose is at the high end.

In humans the general dose is 50-100mg IR for moderate to severe moderate pain.

Are you sure the dogs tramadol are IR and not ER? That said those are the doses quoted (courtest of wiki). Maybe dogs have a lower bioavailability? I cant answer that one im afriad but at least i can confirm the doses are not unusual for either party.

Oh and IR = Instant release ER = Extended release, for those who dont know.
Old 31-10-2010, 23:05
Silver Member

Male from Norway
Synaps is a decent psychonaut.Synaps is a decent psychonaut.
AW: Something doesn't seem right here with Tramadol dose...

It doesn't strike you as a bit odd to compare dog doses to human doses?

We have very different bodies and nervous systems, and as such, different dosages of drugs must be used.

Last edited by Synaps; 04-11-2010 at 17:08.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:42
Palladium Member

24 y/o Male from United States
EscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline Medline
Points: 3,452, Level: 8 Points: 3,452, Level: 8 Points: 3,452, Level: 8
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Re: AW: Something doesn't seem right here with Tramadol dose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synaps View Post
It doesn't strike you as a bit odd to compare dog doses to human doses?

Usually animals have to use considerably higher doses per kg of everything.

Source? Swim has not heard this to be true before. It varies on an animal-to-animal basis.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:18
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from United States
FreeBliss is a decent psychonaut.FreeBliss is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%

Wow I didn't know they prescribe that stuff to dogs. swim used to take 100mg at once. one time he took 200mg at once and it was too speedy and it was too much. But I think the vet should know what hes doing.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:51
Mercury Member

Male from Australia
Slipin needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

hahahaha !!! i only laugh as swim has made a verey serious error in this dept !!!

cant comment on tram as opposed to dogs and humans

but some dog meds work verey differant in humans , obviously im not talking bout flee or tick meds!! lol

swims friend has a dog breeding export sorta buissness thing , so has alot of meds for a lot of things , some are exactly the same as for humans such as bedidine , cost alot at ur local drug store 200ml but u can buy a 1ltr from ur pet store for horses etc for next to nicks and its the same , as with alot of antibiotics "not all" but a doctor told swims dad that due to our mutual friend having alot of a certain antibiotic for pets , and dad told the doc that that "certain type" of anti biotic was exactly the same and would be perfectly safe and alot cheaper !! but swim will add that thier are" ALOT OF DIFFERANT ANTIBIOTICS FROM BROAD SPECTRUM TO TARGETED AND UNLESS DEAD CERTAIN SHOULD CONFERM WITH A DOC BEFOR TAKIN TRIGGERS MEDS"

So that aside swim found a bottle of a valium like substance to tranqulise dogs on long trips so to keep them calm on a plane ride. the lable read " 1 tab per 5kg body weight of dog " so i was bout 100kg at the time relatively fit 6'2 . so thaught swimwould take 20 maybe a few extra for a rec dose so 23 seemed to be bout right !! was a big mistake

+30 mins staring to feal a valium like calm comming on

+45 mins ohh yeah valum calm realy starting to kick in and i was quite chuffed at a free high

+ 1hr fealin pritty good but a lil differant than usual valium

+1.5hrs fealing scared and felt verey slow and not just the usual valium motor imparement but a painfull sort of pulsation through my body

+2hrs could hardly stand . trying to throw up but couldent . retired to bed just trying to keep my self awake as this pain in my chest grew

+2.5hrs tried to get to the toilet to throw up again but as swim has a usual high tolerance and has done many silly doses of things bfor but the toilet was 6mtrs from my room and i couldnt stand , crawling to the toilet .!! yes crawling!! no joy trying to throw up

+3hrs laying in bed and all swim could feal is just this painfull pulse (was tiping it was his hart trying to beat) every few secs and it was ever so pain full !!! so swim should have gone to the docs but as we always want to not be seen as idiot drug abusers . didnt . so swim just tried to do what ever he could to stay awake and just ride it out but getting stabed in the chest bout 50 times a min was so hard

+5 hrs was wearing off and comming back to normal all be it was another 3 hrs of risidual effects bfor i felt safe to retire to bed

so in short yeah some are compadable but as u can see some arnt . cant remember what the tranq was but swims dad after 2 yrs i told him ,looked it up and yeah wasnt to much info but what he found is that their had been no long term studies done on it and was deff not recomended for humans .

hope it helps
Old 04-11-2010, 17:07
Silver Member

Male from Norway
Synaps is a decent psychonaut.Synaps is a decent psychonaut.
AW: Re: AW: Something doesn't seem right here with Tramadol dose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeDummy View Post
Source? Swim has not heard this to be true before. It varies on an animal-to-animal basis.
It is kind of a general observation on this kind of thread (another one about some anti-depressant) or pentobarbitol and fentanyls (both requiring significant more per kg in animals) so I cannot really get a source on humans in general needing smaller doses per kg. On further thought it was a kind of stupid assumption by me. But humans and dogs have entirely different central nervous systems so it would be reasonable to believe that they need different doses when it comes to drugs.

So as for the last sentence in my first post, I shouldn't have written that, and I am going to edit it out. Thanks for pointing it out.

Share this on:

Tags
dose advice, tramadol, tramadol dose, tramadol use in dogs, ultram