Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Morphine
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 01-10-2010, 19:03
Banned

Male from United States
MonarchX needs to UTFSE some more before posting.
How does morphine compare to oxycodone and hydrocodone?

Oxycodone is thebane based - stimulating, hydrocodone is codeine based - sedating. Where does morphine fit in? How is the high different?
Old 01-10-2010, 19:09
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from United Kingdom
On The Nod probably knows what they are talking about.On The Nod probably knows what they are talking about.On The Nod probably knows what they are talking about.On The Nod probably knows what they are talking about.On The Nod probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 2,261, Level: 7 Points: 2,261, Level: 7 Points: 2,261, Level: 7
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%
Re: How does morphine compare to oxycodone and hydrocodone?

Morphines Wack- wouldnt bother with it unless your super opiate intolerant the high is nice even orally but damm u need take more than your maintenace dose to get anything...

never taken others..
Old 01-10-2010, 20:52
Gold Member

32 y/o Male from USA - New York
helikophis really knows their shit.helikophis really knows their shit.helikophis really knows their shit.helikophis really knows their shit.helikophis really knows their shit.helikophis really knows their shit.helikophis really knows their shit.helikophis really knows their shit.
Points: 1,992, Level: 6 Points: 1,992, Level: 6 Points: 1,992, Level: 6
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Oxycodone is more stimulating and more euphoric, but much shorter-acting than morphine. Hydrocodone is similar in euphoria and soporific effects, but lasts considerably longer. Both oxy- and hydrocodone are significantly more bioavailable than morphine when taken orally - oral use of morphine is highly inefficient, compared to other commonly used opiates (I believe around 20% makes it to the bloodstream). Oral preparations of morphine come as salts, so they must be converted to freebase for smoking. Oxycodone and hydrocodone also come as salts, but they are relatively efficient for oral use, so there's less reason to freebase them.

Morphine is most comparable in "high" and painkilling to codeine - codeine is not itself psychoactive - it is converted by the liver into active opiates, the main one being morphine. Morphine does tend to be tolerated better than codeine, with less allergic reactions and sub-allergic histamine problems (itching/rashes, etc). Also, only a certain amount of codeine can be handled by the liver at one time, so doses much over 400mg tend to be less and less effective. Morphine is also very similar to heroin - heroin is converted in the brain to morphine, and it is actually a morphine high that heroin users experience, but the structure of heroin gives it a much higher affinity for crossing the blood-brain barrier, meaning it hits harder and faster than morphine that hasn't been diacetylated.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by helikophis; 07-10-2010 at 21:17. Reason: factual error
Old 07-10-2010, 16:01
Silver Member

52 y/o Male from United Kingdom
iiyama is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1

Thnk you Helikophis. I wasn't aware Oxycodone produced more of a stimulating effect than Morphine.

Morphine, from my experience and in comparison with oral ingestion is more potent when it is used intravenously. That said, one has to be really, really carful when using Morphine whatever the route of administration.

Regarding Oxycodone and Hydrocodone is it true one of these drugs is only available as a time released preparation ? I beleive in the UK either Oxycodone or Hydrocodone is made exclusively as a time released pill.

LIke I said I'm not 100% sure but time relased pills will always produce a different effect to their instant release counterparts.
Old 07-10-2010, 19:40
Titanium Member

25 y/o Male from USA - Kentucky
Moving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by helikophis View Post
Oral preparations of morphine come as salts, so they must be converted to freebase for injection or smoking. Oxycodone and hydrocodone also come as salts, but they are relatively efficient for oral use, so there's less reason to freebase them.
You don't need to convert morphine to freebase to inject. If you did, you'd have to add an acid to form a salt so it disolves in water. Morphine salt disolves in water, freebase doesn't. Not tying to be rude or anything, it's just an important point to make.

Quote:
I wasn't aware Oxycodone produced more of a stimulating effect than Morphine.
That's debatable. Some people find it more stimulating but plently of people find it just as sedating. All opiates in high doses are going to be sedating. It's typically when taken in lower doses that they're stimulating.

Quote:
LIke I said I'm not 100% sure but time relased pills will always produce a different effect to their instant release counterparts.
The different effect is that they last longer than istant release. Also, time release are usually in higher doses than immediate release.

Last edited by Moving Pictures; 07-10-2010 at 19:42. Reason: edit
Old 07-10-2010, 21:16
Gold Member

32 y/o Male from USA - New York
helikophis really knows their shit.helikophis really knows their shit.helikophis really knows their shit.helikophis really knows their shit.helikophis really knows their shit.helikophis really knows their shit.helikophis really knows their shit.helikophis really knows their shit.
Points: 1,992, Level: 6 Points: 1,992, Level: 6 Points: 1,992, Level: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingPictures View Post
You don't need to convert morphine to freebase to inject. If you did, you'd have to add an acid to form a salt so it disolves in water. Morphine salt disolves in water, freebase doesn't. Not tying to be rude or anything, it's just an important point to make.
Whoops, my mistake. Think a couple of ideas got jammed together there. Editing the post! Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 15-02-2012, 00:28

35 y/o Male from England
MadOne needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.
Points: 109, Level: 1 Points: 109, Level: 1 Points: 109, Level: 1
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post
Oxycodone is thebane based - stimulating, hydrocodone is codeine based - sedating. Where does morphine fit in? How is the high different?
Morphine is more euphoric imo to me but does has a low oral absorbtion rate requireing slightly larger doses than oxycodone orally on most people but iv morphine is stronger than iv oxycodone in most people.
Both oxycodone and hydrocodone are normally extracted from thebaine that i think is sourced mainly from the iranian poppy now as it contains a lot of thebaine. it makes no financial sense to source thebaine from the opium poppy now they now how much thebaine the iranian poppy yeilds around 25-30% w/v . makes a lot more financial sense to me to use different poppys for making oxycodone,oxymorphone,hydromorphone and hydrocodone with those potential yeilds. i know in the past a lot of the medicinal codiene was made from converted morphine due to the opium poppys low codeine content. seems a waste to me that lol I would prefer to be able to buy paracetamol n morphine otc than its inferior little brother they wasted there time there gimmie 12mg of morphine in otc apap mix anyday than weak old codeine. i assume it must be possible to convert thebaine to codeine too.

Share this on:

Tags
codeine, morphine, opiate comparison, oxycodone, smoking oxycodone