Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Tramadol
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 27-09-2010, 20:10
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

34 y/o Male from United States
HomerSimpson should review received reputation comments.
Points: 177, Level: 2 Points: 177, Level: 2 Points: 177, Level: 2
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%
Tramadol and depression?

SWIM used Tramadol for two years 08-10, and he loved it. He used it for severe depression, and only used it on Mondays at 500-600 mg total for that day. It gave him one "free" day of no worrying.

So anyway he ran out in Janurary, and has not had any since. When he ran out he did not have any withdrawl problems except being mad and missing that one day of "freedom" from my depression.

Anyway SWIM has the oppertunity to get some. He is debating if he should get them. What do you think? SWIM has always worried about being that guy on the corner hooked on drugs. At the same time doesn't he deserve that one damn day of freedom?
Old 27-09-2010, 20:56
Palladium Member

28 y/o Male from Luxembourg
C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.
Points: 3,601, Level: 8 Points: 3,601, Level: 8 Points: 3,601, Level: 8
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%
Re: Tramadol and depression?

hm, first of all, yes, tramadol is used, although rarely, in treating so-called difficult-to-treat depression. besides its activity at opioid receptors, it is an SNRI and a NMDA-antagonist. it makes sense that swiHS was able to profit from it. what strikes me, I have to say, is that he actually kept to once-a-week use, even though he says he has severe depression. seeing this, in response to the actual question asked, I do not see him becoming the "guy on the corner" he refered to. although, of course, one can responsibly use substances for a long time, and still fall prey to their addictive nature at a given point.

the larger question for me, though, is, what is the background to his depression, especially in terms of medical treatment? has he had other, conventional antidepressants that failed to improve his situation? if so, which ones? he should know that there are a range of drugs out there he could take continuously, that might do the same job. and, if they don't do the trick, then he could search for an open-minded psychiatrist, willing to put him on tramadol. I am not saying that this would be easy, but there is scientific investigation into its usefulness in depression when other treatments have failed.

maybe swiHS would be willing to share some more information?

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good information with an understanding attitude
Old 28-09-2010, 00:16
Banned

Male from United States
MonarchX needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

SWIM has severe pain (myofascial pain syndrome) and that in turn causes SWIM to be depressed mildly (moderately) - oxycodone does the trick for both. Given that many of today's anti-depressants such as Cymbalta have "discontinuation" effects which is a BS way pharmaceutical companies call withdrawals, SWIM does not see why SWIY should not do that. SWIM personally experienced anti-depressants' withdrawals and they were FAR WORSE than mild to moderate opiate withdrawals. Even for daily use its OK, but the effects will diminish and SWIY may just feel OK, rather than high or buzzed.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:57
Silver Member

Female from United States
Lady Codone must live here.Lady Codone must live here.Lady Codone must live here.Lady Codone must live here.Lady Codone must live here.Lady Codone must live here.Lady Codone must live here.
Points: 266, Level: 2 Points: 266, Level: 2 Points: 266, Level: 2
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%

As long as the drug doesn't become the sole focus of SWIY's life and SWIY doesn't increase the dose/frequency of use, SWIY is in no danger of becoming a degenerate. The problem is that most people can't maintain occasional use indefinitely, but SWIY seems to have been successful so far. In the end, only you can weigh the risks and benefits of this decision but SWIM can definitely relate.

SWIM uses poppy tea daily/every other day for her mental issues (depression, social anxiety) and has done so for 2 and a half years without increasing the dose or frequency. As long as SWIY treats the drug as any other antidepressant--taking it at a scheduled time in a predetermined dose--it can really work in SWIY's favor.
Old 18-10-2010, 20:06

SWIM started taking Zoloft about a year ago, and it has worked to a certain degree. But it also a lot of times leaving you feeling "nothing". It is like you are still depressed, but you just do not care that you are. If anyone has been on antidepressants than they will know what I am talking about.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:31
Mercury Member

Male from Australia
Slipin needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

tram deff works for depression . but swim has found that differant brands have a differant effect .by this i mean ever so slight but differant none the less even though the pill contains the same ingrediant .

im currently deppressed . started with a workers comp claim witch involved a knee reconstruction after 3 yrs with the company , am and was an elec apprentice at the time . and in oz is not like american electricians as we have a 4 year intensive course witch when compleated is equivelent to your grand master electrican status . and pays verey well. and i am 26 in 2 weeks . but after i did all the right things reported incedent and followed protocall they denied it was their fault.. so after 1 year of legal stuff to determain liability and tests . i was on restricted duties witch was " isolated sorting screws washers cleaning stock take " was a large aliminum ship building company and despite my ability to do so much more after bein 1 of the top apprentices with reports to prove it . my manager turned on me and yeah i guess made an example of me .. and as the usual year wore on with bills pilling up sleepless nites and my fellow workers seing me just sitting and i guess looking likje a slacker . they 2 turned on me .

in the end the claim got accepted and they addmited ful liability . so knee recon later i was back and isolated for a further 6 months . at this time i was at the point of throwing up bfor work and was taking morphine to mask the pain . my girl god bless her finaly got me to put a work place bullying complaint in . witch just made it worse !! then every 1 was out to get me !!! st this time my mother who i shared everything with and was a wonderfull woman had FTLB frontal temperal lobe dimensia . witch her mother had but gotten at 75 not 52. so i just kept saying 1 more year then im qualifyed !! then swims cuzzin who swim and he got ms contin and swims cuzz sold for him to supply his own habbit .. but swims cuzzin made home bake heroin with and ivd it as opposed to swim just eating it . up to 10 ms cont 100mg a day .

so off course swims cuzzin started losing money and "getting robed" and just started melting down .. at this point swim tried everythimg he could but swims cuzzin would not admit he had a problem .. so after a hellish week he called me and said i need help !! so i and his ex sorted for him to go to the country with his mum for 2 weeks and swim would give his mum vallium for the detox.. then swims cuzzin rang him bout 12pm and i guess just i cant explain sounded differant ... so rang his alchoholic brother to go over and he said cant be fucked but made him ... he got their at 4pm . hed hung him self at 1pm ...

this is where swim exerianced full depression .. non stop crying ... quit my job ... left my girl ... and seen the doc at witch point he gave me lexapro and valium ... first 2 weeks were realy weird as they game me ocd ... but after 2 months and goin from 20mg back to 10 as 20 just made him a robot ...

but with nothing happining inhis life and with my knee couldnt do much to get out i used tram and felt good till it got to the point where swim would take 2000mg and feal nothing due to tolerance ... 1 thing i did notice on tram was when swim used them and stoped usualy the second day hed get the brain zaped thing for a week at least but not to much withdrawl efects as far as fealin like shit..... but when swim started lexapro swim stoped taking his prob bout 1500mg a day habbit tram and he was waiting for the brain zaps on the second day but the lexapro must have an obvious interaction and i didnt get 1 zap !! so as thaught to with draw without the zap

been 4 months since swims cuzzin and has also found rittlin to be a good get out of bed and do stuff !! just to get the ball rolling and then let life wash over him and that would be enough for the rest of the day ..

tramadol is great for muscle pain and also a kick as swim found 150mg was great at the start just be carfull not to build ur tollerance up to quick .. and yes lexapro and tram dont mix as u can have seratonin syndrom but swim still has 300mg per day with 10mg lex and hes fine 85kgs 6'2,

lookin back now i seen the sighns .. i loved cooking and 6 months bfor my cuzz id stoped compleatly so i guess for the future i know the warning sighns and can act bfor i go to that dark place again .. was just i guess 1 off those guys that thaught no way would i ever have depression !!! but i did.

just be true to yourself and dont make the mistakes as i have by trying to jump back on the horse to quick and just falling back down ... make sure your ready ... string a good 2 weeks togather at least then get back out their (if u can ... i guess im single with no kids so cant imagine it with financial woes)

bit off topic ... but yeah just thaught id give some insight and mistakes of another persons experiance .. hang in their brother .. lifes a gift !! just sit in the woods and look around and listen .... majik

Slipin added 42 Minutes and 33 Seconds later...

as i got a lil caught upin my tangent !!lol.. to "nut shell" your question .i guess like a few ppl and im sure your self realize tramadoll wont make u the guy on the corner .. its the other drugs when the tram stops workin that will make u that guy.. if can use it and have the controll sure y not !! cant see it bein more dangerious than a bottle of whisky.. but as with all drugz its addiction that makes u that guy !! u obviously have had it bfor so u arnt alergic or gana have a reaction.. keep in mind that in saying this your tolerance is goin to be lower so dont jump straght back in with a 500mg dose !!

but i find it verey unusual that u just used it once a week with no zaps or withdrawl effects on your days off .. but i guess if u are on anti d meds would explain this...

although a lil grose im about to do a lil reserch on pluging tram.. tried last nite with DHC cough syrup 50ml was ok but yeah .... wan worth it .... just curious that with tolerance taking a pill oraly .... would the tolerance be the same as pluging but with only the benifit of onset quicker ? if so yeah i guess no point ... will get back to ya !!lol

Exersise is a blody wonderfull way to treat depression as well .... if your body can do it ... is y i guess i found my self their as with the knee and a shoulder injury i couldent run.. its been proven that exercise releases mass endorphns!! and yeah all be it hard at the start is realy quite addictive if u push through the first month ... even just walkin through a park.. i guess in oz we are spoilt as my home town esperance not only has the cleanist air in the world but some off the top 10 beaches as well .... but we realy do live in a beutifull world ..and in my case when i was at my darkest i went back to my home town lost and defeated ... and just started walkin throug the bush untill i got so sore i had to sit ... then a unexplainable fealing came over me ... id have to say like i was on e for a good 5 mins ... just the wind blowing through the trees the flowers bees and birds ,sun shining through and yeah ... and im the last person to beleve in spiritual crack pot stuff!! but hell i guess nothing else can explain it ...

guess im at the point where im sick of bandaid fixes and bullshit drugz and just want to correct my life so said fixes arnt needed ie drugs...

regards slipn

Last edited by Slipin; 01-11-2010 at 05:31. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-11-2010, 05:34
Silver Member

30 y/o Male from United States
chukbzle is a decent psychonaut.

If ya can just do once a week I'd say with that self control swim would.Its good for depression the way you are using also is a way better alternative to have your body used to any addictable substance.

swim thinks its great for depression compared to other opiates/oids .Gives you nice STEADY buzz.

Swim would NOT recomend oxy as it would make swim think addiction would be a worry as just the bigger comedown is eough sometimes for almost all people to just be like "I dont wanna feel like this" and makes wanting more,more likely and tramadol is better for you in swims feels.
swim doesnt know many people who ARENT chasing a bigger,BETTER rush from oxy.tram is more even buzz,maybe not as euphoric"(swim LOVED these before he got to IVing ANY opiate safely shootable and wishes he stayed with tram cuz now hes ruined it for himself) but sounds like for your goals trams a good choice.and the self control seems to be workin for ya so your body isnt held back from constant confusion and addiction side effects.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:54
Mercury Member

Male from Australia
Slipin needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

yeah trams best asset is it lasts longer than any opiate i can think off and beside from the odd zap dosent a real "come down" my friend reckond that when he had no tolerance to anything that tram is 90% as good as oxy .... swim feals your pain CHUCKBUZLE ... as he sits here looking at 40 tram goin are they gana work or is it just gana be wasted !!lol ... swim is just kicking him self that when he was using mscont 100mg he ate them!! hed never inject...he just dosent like needles and if he did mite like em !!! but swim had thousands of these at 1 point and would take 5 at a time cause of bad bio ... but after reading about pluging !!!! would have saved alot of money me thinks .... ohh well (off topic)
Old 08-09-2011, 19:53

Using Tramadol for depression?

Just wondering if anyone knows SWIM that used tramadol for depression. SWIM would use it just one day out of a week for his, so he could have at least one day of not being depressed.

you started this thread in 2010, please bump old threads do not re-post
Old 08-09-2011, 20:29
Silver Member

Male from Earth
Down In Albion is a decent psychonaut.Down In Albion is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 172, Level: 2 Points: 172, Level: 2 Points: 172, Level: 2
Activity: 5.5% Activity: 5.5% Activity: 5.5%
Re: Using Tramadol for depression?

Tramadol works much the same way as Codeine (pro drug that gets demethylated in the liver), search "codeine CYP2D6" for more info on that.

From that reaction you get two (I think?) enantyomers, which do nothing for serotonin levels (the neurotransmiter most anti-depressants tend to work on)...

However I do recall reading somewhere that one of them affects noradrenaline or norepenephrine which could have use as an anti-depressant.

Strattera (atomoxetine) was originally developed to be an anti-depressant but also has little or no affinity for serotonin so it failed on that basis. Norepinephrine seems to be aimed more at ADD/ADHD disorders than depression from what I've read.

That said, although opiates aren't "anti-depressants" they do counter depression, for me at least. The problem being that opiates are addictive both physically and mentally and you need to continually increase the dosage to get the same effect, where as drugs designed to target receptors related to depression generally seem to have a steady dose and although you can get withdrawal symptoms from them (such as brain zaps with venaflaxin), they aren't addictive as such and they seem to help a lot of people.

Opiates are for pain, or for abusing if you're like me... Definately not your first stop call for anti-depressants in my opinion.

Venaflaxin really helped one of my friends out, he had extremely bad depression and was suicidal at times, they put him on that and he showed slight improvement but was still unhappy, then they eventually put him on the maximum dose (at low dose it only works on serotonin and at higher doses it works on norepinephrine aswell) which really worked for him.

Might be worth checking that out, at least it's not going to leave you with an addiction.

All the best

K

EDIT: Links...

Strattera (non-addictive norepinephrine based, targetted at adhd)
O-Desmethyltramadol (info about why tramadol might be relieving you of depression symptoms)
Venlafaxine (The anti-depressant I recommended)

Last edited by NeuroChi; 13-09-2011 at 16:23. Reason: removing wikipedia links
Old 09-09-2011, 19:41
Palladium Member

33 y/o Male from United States
trdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,333, Level: 12 Points: 7,333, Level: 12 Points: 7,333, Level: 12
Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5%

Two reasons why I would not recomend tramadol for depression.

1. If you take it and then stop over an amount of time (based on your individual tolerance, dose, and chemicals in the brain) not only is depression made worse in most people, but also seizures are an added NON bonus.

2. People actually can get addicted to tramadol regardless of how many doctors say "it's non addictive and it's not an opiate"..........it's not an opiate, but it's an opiate agonist. It has caused much misery to people because of it's SSRI like properties when just stopped.

Good luck and keep us posted

careful; mu opioid agonist, not antagonist.
two very reasonable concerns

Last edited by trdofbeingtrd; 13-09-2011 at 23:19. Reason: Fixing typo.
Old 13-09-2011, 15:40
Silver Member

Male from Spain
RoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPAC
Points: 3,338, Level: 8 Points: 3,338, Level: 8 Points: 3,338, Level: 8
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%

Quote:
From that reaction you get two (I think?) enantyomers, which do nothing for serotonin levels (the neurotransmiter most anti-depressants tend to work on)...
Actually, Tramadol is also a serotonin-releasing agent which is why it works for depression, but Robo does not recommend it.

He's currently addicted to tramadol and has tried tapering down with no success.About a week ago he went cold turkey and had the worst 4 days of his entire life, literally.

Stay away from the stuff unless you're sure you can use it responsibly.

Robo

sound advice based on knowledge and experience
Old 13-09-2011, 16:18
is not his mind

Male from Earth
NeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 21,116, Level: 21 Points: 21,116, Level: 21 Points: 21,116, Level: 21
Activity: 9.2% Activity: 9.2% Activity: 9.2%

This thread contains both anecdotal and empirical evidence for Tramadol as an antidepressant.

Tramadol for chronic pain and possible antidepressant

veru useful relevant link
Old 07-10-2011, 08:04
Titanium Member

32 y/o Male from Netherlands
Gryzor is captain of the psychonauts.Gryzor is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 257, Level: 2 Points: 257, Level: 2 Points: 257, Level: 2
Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0%

Search under my username if you want information on Tramadol. I've self medicated with this drug in the past and it instantaneously brought me out of suicidal depression. I continued its use for 2.5 years then tapered off without much trouble. I have literally read the book on it and certainly at least 100 experience reports.

I am prescribed Tramadol as an anti-depressant (dysthymia) but I made the psychiatrist aware of its anti-anxiety properties (I also suffer anxiety, its perhaps the basis of all my problems but no diagnosis) properties and slight beneficial effects for ADHD, a diagnosis also but I did not have it under the age of 12.

Step 1. Download and print this: http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/loc...d=106&id=10848

Step 2. Make notes about your specific reaction to Tramadol on the paper and read everything on this forum or erowid experience vault about it. A key factor would be pointing out the figure where it shows Effexor vs Tramadols molecular structures.

Step 3. Search my posts from the last couple of months where I've spoken about tramadol as I feel and others have said I have information they have not heard before about it.

Step 4. Consider benefit versus risk - if your depression is severe it can only be beneficial but set a limit NEVER to go over (500mg) and start as low as possible. Abuse and be prepared to be abused by Tramadol. You should get 2 good years out of the drug more if you cycle its dosage down sometimes which is easily done. cold turkey method is not.

Step 5. Bring the paper with you to a good biological psychiatrist or an open minded one (refractory depression could qualify you very easily for a prescription)have the important parts highlighted and your personal and theoretic notes on the paper. Leave it with him, if you are as rational and knowledgeable about the drug as I was, only an idiot would not prescribe a drug which many have tried to duplicate. Effexor is a duplicated version without mu-opioid effects.

Good luck and don't let them fuck you about, if they do its widely and cheaply available online but there is a difference in quality. Doctors and shrinks ask me about this drug and I also feel like banging my head off the counter at the pharmacy with pharmacists asking questions, I am prescribed 400mg a day and the box has 1x50mg x 8 a day duh....take it all at once as constant dosing makes tolerance rise rapidly. No one knows jack shit how good and valuable this drug is besides users who happen across its therapeutic effects against depression. The paper i linked above is the key for your lock.

John

useful forum link and interesting experience
Old 29-01-2012, 15:41

32 y/o Male from United States
jdub1492 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My friend Oscar had a VERY, VERY bad experience with tramadol leading to horrible psychological effects, namely severe depression and anxiety, leading to medical treatment (taking the better part of a full year to feel some normalcy). During and after this experience Oscar did a lot of browsing online about the subject. He was saying that from what he could find online, people were reporting a wide variety of affects...There were people who had no problems with the drug, experiencing sensations similar to, or better than the common opiods and were able to stop taking it cold turkey without withdrawals. There were people that experience a placebo effect, feeling as if they had taken nothing more than acetametaphin. Then there were many people, like Oscar, that experienced horrible withdrawals and dark depression following short term use, even if only using as prescribed. Bottom line....I think this drug has wildly different affects on people based on their current chemical make-up in the brain, since its known to interact with seretonin. Its a bit of Russian Roulette really...which way is your brain going to react? In my opinion, a good buzz isn't worth risking ending up in the terrible hell Oscar was in....
Old 31-01-2012, 12:06
Silver Member

10ftgp is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1
Activity: 8.8% Activity: 8.8% Activity: 8.8%

I have found this drug to be very effective when I was prescribed it for back pain; however, my pdoc will not prescribe it although a host of other medications have been tried and failed. I would like to raise awareness about its effectiveness so that perhaps the manufacturers will initiate clinical trials to have it approved for use as an anti-depressant. If you are interested in supporting the cause please join me at the facebook causes website at the following location /causes/650231-ultram-for-depression-intiative. I can not post the complete link because I do not have 50 posts.
Old 02-02-2012, 15:28
Titanium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post
SWIM has severe pain (myofascial pain syndrome) and that in turn causes SWIM to be depressed mildly (moderately) - oxycodone does the trick for both. Given that many of today's anti-depressants such as Cymbalta have "discontinuation" effects which is a BS way pharmaceutical companies call withdrawals, SWIM does not see why SWIY should not do that. SWIM personally experienced anti-depressants' withdrawals and they were FAR WORSE than mild to moderate opiate withdrawals. Even for daily use its OK, but the effects will diminish and SWIY may just feel OK, rather than high or buzzed.
The best paper is here: http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/loc...d=106&id=10848

Got me a prescription off label for depression.

useful and relevant link
Old 02-02-2012, 16:34
Silver Member

10ftgp is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1
Activity: 8.8% Activity: 8.8% Activity: 8.8%

It probably should be noted that if you take high doses of tram daily the withdrawal is very severe. Try refraining from use occasionally to prevent tolerance build up.
Old 13-03-2012, 21:57

Male from United States
conarc is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1

SWIM had moderate depression from Season Affective Disorder (SAD) and was started on Wellbutrin (Bupropion) XL the SR. Hated it. One of the worst drugs for side effects SWIM experienced - anxiety, metallic taste in mouth, weird feeling in teeth, headache, you name it and little therapeutic effects except maybe higher doses for long periods. Crappy engineered drug in SWIM's opinion.

SWIM also prescribed Focalin (Dexmethylphenidate) for moderate ADD. Has similar effects as Welbutrin. Both are SSRIs. SWIM found Focalin to have similar effects to Wellbutrin but less side effects and better mood elevation.

SWIM is now taking a break from Focalin - was only taking 10-15mg a day 5-6 days a week. SWIM is having some moderate pain so revisiting Tramadol to see if SWIM can kill two birds with one stone (mild-moderate pain and depression.)

SWIM used Tramadol extensively in the past although never more than 200mg a day. Been a couple years since SWIM used it. Will be interested for SWIM to compare.
Old 20-03-2012, 09:54

28 y/o Male from Slovakia
Tabun needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conarc View Post
SWIM had moderate depression from Season Affective Disorder (SAD) and was started on Wellbutrin (Bupropion) XL the SR. Hated it. One of the worst drugs for side effects SWIM experienced - anxiety, metallic taste in mouth, weird feeling in teeth, headache, you name it and little therapeutic effects except maybe higher doses for long periods. Crappy engineered drug in SWIM's opinion.

SWIM also prescribed Focalin (Dexmethylphenidate) for moderate ADD. Has similar effects as Welbutrin. Both are SSRIs. SWIM found Focalin to have similar effects to Wellbutrin but less side effects and better mood elevation.

SWIM is now taking a break from Focalin - was only taking 10-15mg a day 5-6 days a week. SWIM is having some moderate pain so revisiting Tramadol to see if SWIM can kill two birds with one stone (mild-moderate pain and depression.)

SWIM used Tramadol extensively in the past although never more than 200mg a day. Been a couple years since SWIM used it. Will be interested for SWIM to compare.
focalin (dexmethylphenitade) and wellbrutin (bupropion) are not SSRis,but NDRis.tramadol is something like mild SNRi
Old 20-03-2012, 14:41
Titanium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conarc View Post

Some ADHD drugs (its now only ADHD with 3 subtypes) are used off label to help opiates/opioids produce a more analgesic effect such as ritalin I know of for sure. I'm not sure if this is the case with tramadol and stimulants/focalin as the norepinephrine effects might be a bit too much. Its still worth a shot though particularly if your going down on dosage.
Old 22-03-2012, 15:09
Silver Member

Male from United States
firehouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1

SWIM has no pain and has used really low level opiates more for recreational purposes than anything else. Never more than 20mg a day of Perc 5mgs for an example. So it can be said that SWIM is opiate naive. Trams produce a nice speedy, euphoric effect much in the same way other opiates do for him. Using it more as an off label AD than for anything else. Haven't been diagnosed for depression but SWIM is afraid of getting on some lifelong AD scrip that will render him dependent and limp noodled, among other downsides.
Old 23-12-2012, 17:49

31 y/o Female from United States
_minus_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

I had my first hypomanic episode last year, which was followed by a deep, severe, crippling depression, worse than I'd ever experienced before (and I've been battling depression for most of my life). I can't imagine feeling any worse than I did. I could not stop crying, just physically could not stop crying, for days. Nothing was wrong, my life was good, and I recognized it immediately as a serious brain problem and went immediately to my dr. He tried me on Abilify, then Depakote, in an attempt to tide me over until I was able to get in to see a p-doc (first time for me). Nothing helped. I just kept repeating in my head, it will get better, it will get better.

It did, after I was titrated up to 200mg of Lamictal (which took a grueling, desperate 6 weeks). But during this process, I visited my p-doc in tears, begging him for a way to feel better, to stop crying, to hurry this process along. He told me there was nothing, there was no magic pill to make me feel better, we just had to wait until I was up to the theraputic dose of Lamictal.

All I can wonder now is why he didn't prescribe Tramadol for the waiting period. I got an rx recently for back pain, and taking only 50mg mid-day makes everything better. I am not actually depressed at this time, but my job is stressful and shitty enough that my hair has been falling out, I've been crying at night and drinking too much, calling in sick because I can't fathom another day at that place. I'm looking very hard for another job, but the market is tight and I'm not even getting calls back. I can't quit until I find a new job, so in the meantime, I have to find a way to survive the one I have. Tramadol is making that possible. In the 2 weeks I've been taking it (again, only 50mg once a day), my hair has stopped falling out (mostly), I come home reasonably happy, drinking less, and just generally getting through the day with must less distress and misery than before. It just gently elevates my mood, decreases anxiety (to the point that I'm not taking any xanax or klonipin anymore) and makes me less irritable, more relaxed, just better.

I'll run out in a couple weeks and I don't see my p-doc again til mid-February so I'm hoping my pcp will refill my rx til then. Not sure if my p-doc will be agreeable to adding it to my rx list, though. I'm doing a lot of research in the meantime, trying to prepare lots of evidence to show him that this is a good option for me.

And I'm going to ask him why the fuck he didn't give me some last year. It could have made a world of difference. He gives me xanax, klonopin, sonata, whatever, in large quantities but this is an off-label use for tramadol so I'm a little nervous.
Old 23-12-2012, 21:03
Titanium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _minus_ View Post
I had my first hypomanic episode last year, which was followed by a deep, severe, crippling depression, worse than I'd ever experienced before (and I've been battling depression for most of my life). I can't imagine feeling any worse than I did. I could not stop crying, just physically could not stop crying, for days. Nothing was wrong, my life was good, and I recognized it immediately as a serious brain problem and went immediately to my dr. He tried me on Abilify, then Depakote, in an attempt to tide me over until I was able to get in to see a p-doc (first time for me). Nothing helped. I just kept repeating in my head, it will get better, it will get better.

It did, after I was titrated up to 200mg of Lamictal (which took a grueling, desperate 6 weeks). But during this process, I visited my p-doc in tears, begging him for a way to feel better, to stop crying, to hurry this process along. He told me there was nothing, there was no magic pill to make me feel better, we just had to wait until I was up to the theraputic dose of Lamictal.

All I can wonder now is why he didn't prescribe Tramadol for the waiting period. I got an rx recently for back pain, and taking only 50mg mid-day makes everything better. I am not actually depressed at this time, but my job is stressful and shitty enough that my hair has been falling out, I've been crying at night and drinking too much, calling in sick because I can't fathom another day at that place. I'm looking very hard for another job, but the market is tight and I'm not even getting calls back. I can't quit until I find a new job, so in the meantime, I have to find a way to survive the one I have. Tramadol is making that possible. In the 2 weeks I've been taking it (again, only 50mg once a day), my hair has stopped falling out (mostly), I come home reasonably happy, drinking less, and just generally getting through the day with must less distress and misery than before. It just gently elevates my mood, decreases anxiety (to the point that I'm not taking any xanax or klonipin anymore) and makes me less irritable, more relaxed, just better.

I'll run out in a couple weeks and I don't see my p-doc again til mid-February so I'm hoping my pcp will refill my rx til then. Not sure if my p-doc will be agreeable to adding it to my rx list, though. I'm doing a lot of research in the meantime, trying to prepare lots of evidence to show him that this is a good option for me.

And I'm going to ask him why the fuck he didn't give me some last year. It could have made a world of difference. He gives me xanax, klonopin, sonata, whatever, in large quantities but this is an off-label use for tramadol so I'm a little nervous.
I'm prescribed Tramadol for depression, severely treatment resistant kind so if you've tried a lot of drugs against depression you could try bringing a pdf here on the Tramadol forum to your shrink and pointing out how similar it is to the SNRI venlafaxine (personally think venlafaxine was copied or at least inspired by Tramadol as its almost identical structurally and works faster than all anti-ds ive used) - it is one of the most prescribed SNRIS/anti-ds in the world - top 5-7 id guess.

The paper is called "Examining the use of Tramadol Hydrochloride as an anti-depressant" by Justin Barber. It just might educate an open minded shrink or doctor, it took them ages to accept what i was telling them about tramadol until recent years when they actually did a u-turn and were asking me what it did how it worked, for how long before tolerance kicks in etc etc.

Most will get 2-3 very good years out of Tramadol if the dose is managed correctly and especially if its not used recreationally as difficult as that is when you've suffered from depression most of your life like i have. It has anti-addictive properties to other substances but not to itself if you get me but its a very manageable drug that if you treat right it will treat you right. I didn't get any side effects worth mentioning but needed a larger dose than you from the get go - I went and got it online for years until I met an open minded shrink who was like whoa oh shit.

I've seen COUNTLESS stories of people ingesting tramadol and a few hours later saying their depression was in remission or very near so.
This is the paper http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/loc...6&linkid=10848

Its a cheap drug also.
Old 23-12-2012, 22:56
Palladium Member

28 y/o Male from Luxembourg
C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.
Points: 3,601, Level: 8 Points: 3,601, Level: 8 Points: 3,601, Level: 8
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryzor View Post
It has anti-addictive properties to other substances but not to itself if you get me
What do you mean by this?

Share this on:

Tags
depression treatment, drugs forum, opiates and depression, tramadol, tramadol addiction, tramadol anti depression, tramadol effects, ultram