Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Buprenorphine
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 06:29
Balzafire Balzafire is nu online
Palladium Member

56 y/o Male from United States
Balzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline Medline
Points: 6,794, Level: 12 Points: 6,794, Level: 12 Points: 6,794, Level: 12
Activity: 8.0% Activity: 8.0% Activity: 8.0%
Injecting subutex (buprenorphine)

There is no safe way to inject Subutex (also known as buprenorphine or 'bupe'), as it has been designed to be taken orally. This guide is intended to reduce the risks for people who insist on injecting Subutex.

Why injecting Subutex is dangerous

If you intend to inject your Subutex tablets you need to be aware of the potentially serious risks involved. You also need to be aware that this medication is only designed to be dissolved under your tongue - if you do intend to inject a Subutex tablet you have to have the skills to transform a solid substance into an injectable solution. This is more difficult than most people think and takes time and the correct use of specific equipment.

When you inject buprenorphine or 'bupe', it doesn’t last as long in your body as when you dissolve it under your tongue as prescribed, you may start “hanging out” and go into withdrawal quite a while before you can get your next dose. If you get caught diverting your dose there may be a lot of penalties coming your way from the clinic; as in no more take away doses, an enforced change of pharmacy, dose changes etc.

Injecting can lead to vein problems, hepatitis C and HIV/AIDS. Safer shooting techniques can reduce these risks. If you still choose to inject, here is a guide to reduce some of the risks involved.

Equipment needed to inject bupe

Use new, clean equipment with each shot. Never share your equipment.

Sterile water

Mixing bowl or teaspoon

Syringes

Two 3ml syringes

'Drawing up' needle

Ideally a 19 guage needle, able to draw up your mix into the barrel

Cotton wool or cotton filters

A wheel filter

Find out more about wheel filters and how to use them. You can also use a butterfly if you have multiple barrels.

Swabs

Use these to clean your equipment and injection sites. Wipe them in one direction, once only. Wait for the area to dry - it is the drying action that kills germs.

Soap

Clean your preparation areas, and hands before and after using to reduce the risks of blood borne diseases like hepatitis C and HIV/AIDS.

Tourniquet

Make sure you clean this with soap before and after use and never share. Click here to read up more on tourniquet use.

Safe disposal bottle

This should come with your gear from the NSP. It is illegal not to use one with used injecting equipment!

Step one

Before you begin it is extremely important that you know where the Subutex came from. Only use tablets that you have removed from the packet. If the Subutex has been “diverted” from anyone’s mouth; including your own, do not inject it. Even small traces of saliva can permanently harm your health and destroy veins.
Wash or swab your hands and preparation area. Swab out the spoon or bowl you are going to crush the Subutex tablets into. Crush the tablets as fine as you can, then begin to gradually mix sterile water into the crushed tablets. Mix the water and the crushed tablets thoroughly.

Diluting your mix is VERY important; dilution means adding sterilised water when you are crushing up your tablet.

When you dilute your drugs by adding water, it does not mean you will dilute the effects of the drug. It simply makes it easier to filter any undesirable substances out of your mix, which will also help to keep your veins healthier.

The more sterile water you add, the better the filtering. The sterile water you use for dilution must be room temperature only, never use warm or hot water. Subutex tablets are not a chalk-based tablet like the majority of pills you may have tried to inject. Subutex utilises maize starch to form a tablet. Therefore it may be necessary to utilise different techniques to break Subutex down into an injectable solution.

Step two

Do not heat the mix! Subutex has a maize starch base, rather than being a chalk-based tablet which is more common. If you heat the mix you will make something akin to gravy!

Draw up the mix through cotton filters into a syringe with a 19 gauge tip. Repeat this process as many times as it takes until you have a milky looking fluid. Set the mix aside on a sterile surface.

Step three

Prepare (aka ‘prime’) the wheel filter for use: (slowly inject 1ml of sterile water from a 3 ml syringe through the wheel filter prior to injecting the drug mix through it). Then, attach the ’primed’ wheel filter to the 3 ml syringe containing the mix, followed by a new 19 g needle tip. Push the mix through the wheel filter into another syringe or into a swabbed clean bowl.

Step four

Wash your hands, swab your injection site, attach a 26g needle tip and inject the mix slowly into the vein.

Step five

Wash your hands immediately after injecting. Place all the used equipment into a sharps container and dispose of responsibly.

Important: If there is any pain, inflammation or redness around your injection site seek medical assistance.

When you take the needle out of your arm, put pressure on the injection site for a couple of minutes to stop the bleeding. Using a swab will only make it bleed and bruise.

Wash your hands and place all used equipment in to the safe disposal bottle and seal. Dispose of the bottle responsibly.

This information found at http://www.saferinjecting.net/injecting-subutex.htm

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good safety advice-should be amended/incorporated into the buprenorphine wiki for +rep!!
Harm reduction is important, so thank you. But it should be obvious that this particular post is harm reduction for idiots! Injecting these is moronic!
I'd been wondering how to correctly describe this; thanks for sharing the har reduction
great information for harm reduction
superlative, detailed harm reduction, very well executed!
best how to I read on this site. perfect HR.

Last edited by Balzafire; 07-12-2010 at 14:28.
Old 27-02-2013, 21:58

52 y/o Male from United Kingdom
jack upcat is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Injecting subutex (buprenorphine)

very,very informative and responsible,,safe shooting saves lives! shoudnt be done but better safe than sorry....been doing it for a long time but not suffered.just take care. take care,stay safe and dont suffer alone,,,,,,,theres a forum here! we are one.
Old 27-03-2013, 02:18
may cause drowsiness

31 y/o Male from USA - New Hampshire
I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.
Points: 2,434, Level: 7 Points: 2,434, Level: 7 Points: 2,434, Level: 7
Activity: 13.3% Activity: 13.3% Activity: 13.3%

Im not sure if I am posting this in the correct place but I would like to share a small trip report in regards to injecting the NEW generic Suboxone tablets marked with a funny looking half moon or a "D" and the numbers 155 on it. NOW I must say that it is IN NO WAY SAFE EVER EVER EVER EVER to inject any kind of pill BUT if you are like my kitty cat "Whiskers" you may think you have 9 LIVES and do it anyways. My kitty knows these dangers but is also well aware of the "less is more" deal with bupe and due to finacial reasons choses against my protest this particular ROA. Suboxone is also a HORRIBLY addixtive drug and the less the daily dosage she uses the better she feels.

Now when my little whisker paws wants to keep PAWS (haha pun intended) at bay, she uses somewhere around .25 suboxone pill Iv'd each day. She does this with NEW rigs with an alcohol soaked work station and when lil kittys finances permit a wheel filter. This does NOT in any way make it safe just a bit safer in a harm reduction point of view.

So here is what happened with the new GENERIC SUBOXONE..

T+000 Crush a small piece(apx .5mg) of the new tablet in steril spoon, add 60 units distilled water and mixed with the plunger. (DO NOT COOK) (NEVER EVER COOK YOUR PILLS) Kitty couldn't afford any wheel filters today so she sucked up the disolved solution thru a cutip cotton. Then sqirted the solution into another sterile spoon and refiltered the same way. She then tied off, found an ol faithful vein, swabbed with an alcohol pad, stuck, registered and injected. Kitty DOES NOT re-apply alcohol after the shot as she believes this helps not leave tracks. (kitty traks haha)

As with Suboxone there was no immediate rush

T+5:00- Kitty does not feel any ill effects, in fact kitty feels more euphoria than she is used to coming on. This makes whiskers WHISKERS rise in surprise.

T+15:00- Kitty is full of euphoria and energy. she is happy and content when before she was in mild kitty withdrawal.

T+60:00 - Kitty is now typing this report and still has a moderate amount of euphoria. Even more than at the 15min interval and it feels (she meowed to me) as the euphoria is still rising...

So in conclusion as of thus far is that injecting the new Suboxone Generics seemed to work even better for kitty then the previous. They did not gel up or any shady business like that. Its funny because the person that my kitty gets them from said that her Dr told her that this new formulation was designed to keep people from cooking and shooting. She also said that these pills were a combinaton of Subutex and Suboxone. hahahaha well i guess thats true in a sense but so ludacris in so many ways.

I would like to hear other reports about the use of this new Generic Suboxone as I seem to be the first to report the use of them. I'd like to hear reports including all ROA's of this pill and how they compare to the old N8's, the FILMS and Subutex.
On a side note I am glad that RB's patten FINALLY ran out allowing the production of Generics since they had a borderline CRIMINAL monopoly on the Bupe market and can NO LONGER price gouge the crap out of people trying to better their lives by losing the chemical handcuffs of Opiate Narcotics including Methadone.

I_MISS_160s added 1 Minutes and 21 Seconds later...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE KIDS, KITTYS, AND PUPPIES AND PET TURTLES... IF YOU DO NOT ALREADY IV YOUR DRUGS DO NOT START. IT IS CRAZY DANGEROUS WITH MINIMUL REWard.

I_MISS_160s added 12 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

i VERY MUCH APOLOGIZE if this is in the wrong spot. Its a trip report and certainly a stance on harm reduction. I am NEW well been a member over a year but VERY new to posting and just don't know how to start new posts. Hopefully I will figure out how to navigate soon as to not upset anyone or annoy anyone. I WILL NOT however EVER use SWIM, SWIY etc )

Last edited by I_MISS_160s; 27-03-2013 at 02:18. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 28-03-2013, 21:05
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

27 y/o Male from United States
N0rthrnCa707 is captain of the psychonauts.N0rthrnCa707 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 276, Level: 2 Points: 276, Level: 2 Points: 276, Level: 2
Activity: 3.5% Activity: 3.5% Activity: 3.5%

The sad/stupid thing is, I still read about people asking how to IV suboxone. Not subutex.
And there are people who swear they have the method down.
They get told by those wiser it's a terrible idea. Does it change their mind? Probably not. But posts like this really do help get the word out. IMO
Old 03-04-2013, 00:06
may cause drowsiness

I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.

N0rthnCa707....

There is no reason to believe that Iv'ing Subutex is in any way safer than Iv'ing Suboxone.
There is no reason to believe that Iv'ing Suboxone will not work or make put you into Precipitated WD.

It seems to me that you are one of the people who wrongly believe that you can Iv Subutex but not Suboxone. People believe that the Naloxone in Suboxone will make you magically sick by putting you into precipitated withdrawals. This is 100% NOT TRUE. Naloxone was only put into Suboxone's formulation as a scare tactic to people who might abuse them by shooting them. But, becauue of Bupenorphines (the main ingredient in Suboxone) extremely high binding affinity to the opioid receptors in the brain, it makes it impossible for the Naloxone to even reach them.

This means that if you have a prior opioid dependency and you have done other full agonist opiate medications/drugs and not waited long enough from dosing them, to dosing your Suboxone OR Subutex, that the Bupenorphine (NOT NALOXONE) will push those other drugs off and bind making you feel usually very bad withdrawal symptoms.

NOW LET ME BE CLEAR.. USING IV AS YOUR ROA FOR SUBOXONE, SUBUTEX, OR ANY PILL IS NOT SAFE AND JUST DOWN RIGHT DANGEROUS. But, people do it every day and I just feel that people should have accurate information about the drugs they use.

I don't think its fair to say people are "sad" or "stupid" for asking for the safest way to use their Suboxone weather they are going to Shoot, Snort, Take Orally, put it up their Bum, or dribble it in their ears if that happens to be their question.

As you should probably know this is a HARM REDUCTION forum and a great tool to keep drug users as safe as they can be as they will most likely use the drugs no matter what. So, Lets help keep each-other safe. Well, as safe as we possibly can...

By the way, I am writing this and able to attest to how using IV Suboxone works becasue my little kitty does it Daily, and the binding affinity of Bupe and, Naloxone being without just cause in the formulation is fact. It can be researched using by UTFSE or searching via Google....

Sorry for the use of SOME caps.. Just feel that these were points i really wanted to put some EMPHASIS on ....

Hope this helps.
Be SAFE PEOPLE
JJ

Please stop posting with CAPS. There is no need to shout, people can read it just as well in a regular sized font. It is also against the rules.

Last edited by I_MISS_160s; 14-04-2013 at 07:25.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:03
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

27 y/o Male from United States
N0rthrnCa707 is captain of the psychonauts.N0rthrnCa707 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 276, Level: 2 Points: 276, Level: 2 Points: 276, Level: 2
Activity: 3.5% Activity: 3.5% Activity: 3.5%

I believe you are ignorant and I never said one drug was safer than another. I was simply talking about suboxone because they come in strips.

Try not adding words to my post then speaking against it.

off-topic, adds no relevant info
attacking a member is not productive in a harm reduction forum
Old 03-04-2013, 04:04
may cause drowsiness

Im sorry you think of me as ignorant. I certainly don't believe name calling is productive in a harm reduction forum..

As a matter of fact though, as un-safe as it is, if you do some research on DF, you will find that MANY people ALSO IV their Suboxone strips.

I am sorry if I added words or took something out of context... Thats not my goal, My goal is only to ask questions and, when possible to provide educated answers in the name of proper information and harm reduction... Again I am sorry if i offended you.

Cheers
JJ

Remember....

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS USE "SWIM"

I_MISS_160s added 0 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

Im sorry you think of me as ignorant. I certainly don't believe name calling is productive in a harm reduction forum..

As a matter of fact though, as un-safe as it is, if you do some research on DF, you will find that MANY people ALSO IV their Suboxone strips.

I am sorry if I added words or took something out of context... Thats not my goal, My goal is only to ask questions and, when possible to provide educated answers in the name of proper information and harm reduction... Again I am sorry if i offended you.

Cheers
JJ

Remember....

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS USE "SWIM"

Last edited by I_MISS_160s; 03-04-2013 at 04:04. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Share this on:

Tags
injecting, injecting buprenorphine, injecting pills, injecting suboxone, injecting suboxone tablets, pill injection basics, safer injecting, safer injecting harm reduction, shooting buprenorphine, shooting suboxone