Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Buprenorphine
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 23:54

36 y/o Male from Afghanistan
georgie25 should review received reputation comments.
How suboxone made me lose a limb...

I was sick as hell and scored a suboxone to keep the dope sick away. I crushed it up very fast and added water but didn't have any cotton to filter it so I just sucked it all up with the syringe anyway without filtering. It looked gross but I was sick and desperate so I said fuck it. I couldn't hit any of my regular veins and tried what I thought was a vein near my wrist area. Turns out it was an artery. I drew back and I couldn't really tell by the color of the blood because of all the fillers and shit floating in the solution and making it all cloudy. Anyway...I start shooting and it burns a lot but I ignore it and push thru and inject all 90 units of it into the artery.

Well like a couple minutes later I see my arm start getting really red and these huge red spots forming all the way to my shoulder and my hand was swelled up really bad. My friend was with me and I asked him is this normal when you inject suboxone cause this was my first time even doing it. He said it never happened to him but that I should just try to ignore it and wait a couple days for it to go down on it's own rather than go thru the hassle of going to the ER. Well i waited 3 days and it just got work, the red spots went away on my upper arm but my hand was still the same swelled size and was turning purple/black in color so I went to the hospital. Turns out I had waited too long and they had to amputate my hand...

Moral of the story: don't wait so long to go to theER

Post Quality Evaluations:
I approve your courage to share your story with us.
I think this is a great cautionary tale. Thanks for sharing.
Nice advice. Courageous post.
Old 02-09-2010, 00:30
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from Ireland
Erumelithil is a decent psychonaut.Erumelithil is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 502, Level: 3 Points: 502, Level: 3 Points: 502, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: How suboxone made me lose a limb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgie25 View Post
I crushed it up very fast and added water but didn't have any cotton to filter it so I just sucked it all up with the syringe anyway without filtering. It looked gross but I was sick and desperate so I said fuck it. I couldn't hit any of my regular veins and tried what I thought was a vein near my wrist area. Turns out it was an artery. I drew back and I couldn't really tell by the color of the blood because of all the fillers and shit floating in the solution and making it all cloudy. Anyway...I start shooting and it burns a lot but I ignore it and push thru and inject all 90 units of it into the artery.
Hate to sound callous but don't blame the drug, blame your method! The title of the thread makes it sound like a "suboxone horror story" but really you might have done just as much damage injecting aspirin!

Hit the nail on the head. It was the ROA not the drug.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:22
Titanium Member

25 y/o Male from USA - Kentucky
Moving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond repute

Yeah, that's a sad story and I feel for you, but it's injecting into an artery and not getting medical treatment that caused the loss of your hand, not suboxone.

Another member who's post I copied and put in the iv pill dangers sticky lost his hand due to shooting Demerol into an artery. As Erum. said, it's how you injected, not what you injected.

I think you should ask the mods to move this post to this thread:
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28148

Here's the other guy's post about loosing his hand, btw:

Quote:
I'm an addict who has been on buprenorphine (generic subutex) not too long after it was approved for generic. Before that, I had developed tolerance and addiction to all opioids. I'd snort oxycontin, but everything else I'd take orally, except Demerol. I read in several places that the bioavailability of meperidine (Demerol) is 100% vs. 50% orally. I'd been off the needle for at least 5 years from a previous meth habit. I had to use a 3cc syringe to hold the volume of 10 crushed 50mg pills diluted, which was my basic starting point considering the tolerance I'd built. Only 1 pharmacy in town will sell syringes without a prescription. I went through the drive thru and asked for 1 3cc syringe with a 5/8 tip. I told myself that I was just going to do 1 shot because I was running low on pain pills. I'd IVed 500mg dozens of times and I knew it would get me off enough. So, I get to where I'm going to blast off, which was several miles from the pharmacy where I bought the syringe. I didn't bother looking in the sack at my syringe until I got ready to fix. I get the syringe out of the sack and damn, the point was 1.5 inches long! I was quite irritated but not enough to return to the pharmacy several miles away. I had used a long needle before, bruising myself up, but successfully, nonetheless. I knew to be careful and i was successful with my first shot. 500mg IV demerol may not be in the same ballpark as heroin, I don't know, but it gives quite a rush along with hallucinations. The first 10 minutes after are the best. Then the high comes and goes with intensity. After about 15 minutes, I decided to do some more. I cleaned up my point real good with bleach. I thought I was being safe. I ground up another 10 pills for another shot. I got it all fixed and ready to go. Instead of hitting the vein I almost always used the previous shot made my vision blurry but I thought I registered. Instead I injected into the cubital artery. I was in immediate pain and couldn't move my hand. I was urged to go to the ER by a couple of people. I just wanted to get home And I was on my bike and couldn't operate the clutch, couldn't move my hand. I called my bestest and he brought me home. In my mind, the drug would slowly absorb into my bloodstream and I'd be ok. Next day I went to the hospital with a swollen hand and black fingertips. They didn't mess around at the hospital, I was in surgery within an hour for a fasciotomy to relieve pressure because all the little microcapillaries in my hand were clogged with the demerol solution. I was in the hospital for a week watching my fingers die and turn black. Amputation was inevitable, they wanted to wait for demarcation. (how much would live) Long story short, besides a small stub on my pinkie, 1/3 of my index, and less than half my thumb, the rest was amputated. I went through several months of physical therapy to straighten my arm after holding it at or above heart level and to desensitize my hand and to see what use I could get from it. Having no insurance, prosthetics were pretty much out of the question. So, I've got what's left of my hand and wicked nerve pain jolts along with my hand feeling baked or frozen, minute to minute. No Dr dared write me anything for the pain of it all besides Ty#4 which kept me from being dopesick in sufficient amounts but not painfree by a long shot. (no pun intended) I got my hands on suboxone after resorting to snorting heroin for the pain, which worked great, by the way. After the smack was gone I tried the subs while withdrawing. It works! No craving. No sickness. Substantial pain relief. Now I have my own sub DR and was just accepted into the patient assistance program meaning I'll get my subs free for a year accompanied by his prescription with my patient assistance card. I hope to help others deal with some of the issues I've had to go through. I'm building some sites (quite slowly with one hand) that deals with all facets of opiate addiction now. My main focus is going to be harm reduction. Without subs or methadone, it's almost impossible for a junkie to be completely abstinent for a substantial period of time. I've seen it in others and I've seen it in myself.

Adds similar experience to thread, sympathetic response, but also helpful to other readers.

Last edited by Moving Pictures; 02-09-2010 at 02:27.
Old 21-09-2010, 03:33
Silver Member

Male from Sweden
antialias is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 98, Level: 1 Points: 98, Level: 1 Points: 98, Level: 1

Im terribly sorry about your loss... I've seen friends who almost ended up the same, a person I know injected sub in his groin artery by mistake..he couldn't walk for weeks and he now has a big scar all the way from his groin up to his bellybutton from a huge pus-filled abcess that he will carry for the rest of his life..

Injecting buprenorphine without filtering and in the wrong place is life-threatening. What scared swim a bit is that swim once injected crushed methadone pills into an artery in swims arm and it swelled up with big red lumps all over swims hand and arm and swim couldn't move his thumb for an hour because it was so swollen. Swim can only thank god or some other higher power that the swelling eventually went down after a few hours of cooling it down with a wet blanket and massage on the affected area...losing a limb is one of swims biggest fears, yet swim continues playing with fire everytime since he is constantly injecting in his toes which is definately not someone should do...
Old 21-09-2010, 05:42

Male from United States
cursedticket is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1

Yea, thats too bad man. But have to agree. The method and neglect was the cause. Subs arent the best thing to be shooting, but one could reduce the harm involved if they are prepared and shot in such a way. Also to have not gone to the ER as you mentioned was the main problem. I know how that sort of neglect goes. Anyways take care.
Old 30-09-2010, 23:19
Banned

Female from United Kingdom
PrincessJo x is learning how to become a psychonaut.

That's obviously an awful thing to go through, I totally feel for you but the moral of the story should not only be "don't wait too long to go to ER", it should also be "Never inject in this way and don't do anything un-safe."

It seems you wanted to blame your friend for not telling you to go to ER ASAP! Although your friend should have sent you straight away, you should have also took precautions and done it safely and also should have went to ER as soon as you suspected anything abnormal.

I hope that this has at least helped one person learn and avoid doing the same thing, so in that way, thanks for sharing your story and what a real shame to lose your hand !
Old 30-09-2010, 23:40
Titanium Member

28 y/o Male from Greece
Alex C is captain of the psychonauts.Alex C is captain of the psychonauts.Alex C is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 399, Level: 3 Points: 399, Level: 3 Points: 399, Level: 3

I am terribly sorry for your loss.

My grandfather was an armed guerrilla in the greek civil war circa 1940s. Due to the fact that he stepped on a mine, he lost his left hand (up to the shoulder) and his whole right foot (up to the crotch). He was only 17.

He survived, and however tragic it was, he never let down, and he got married to my grandmother, and had 2 daughters (my mom & my aunt). He had a prosthetic limb for his foot (it was wooden back at those days) and he lived a totally normal live.

Heck - more than normal. He became a successful businessman and supported his family 100%. His loss was inspiration to him, as he was an incredible poet (he didn't publish his poems - just handed them to friends and family for free). His loss was a source of inspiration for his artistry.

Please do the same. A lot of people have tragic losses from mistakes or/and bad luck. You have two choices:

a. allow this tragic event to diminish your life spark and get into an endless loophole.
b. make it an inspiration for u and others, by transmuting it into something creative.

Choose (b). A lot of people have lost limbs, and lateron they became fighters in life. Track down people with similar stories through the internet, and connect to supporting groups. See this tragic event as a life-spark trigger and widen your life choices to a degree that your normalcy couldn't allow.

This world was/is always changing by a strong, dedicated minority who transmutes their personal tragedies into collective inspiration. I am with you.

Very thoughtful and supportive post
Old 04-04-2012, 22:56
Silver Member

Male from United States
OC Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Man that is devastating. This story wants to make my pet monkey stop IVing drugs, any drug. He couldn't imagine losing a hand, or an arm.
Old 26-08-2012, 10:19

Male from USA - Texas
jeremy.p is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%

** APOLOGIES, THOUGHT SWIM WAS REQUIRED **

SWIM thanks god he stopped IVing about a year ago, switched from dope to methadone at 200mg, tapered to 65mg over that year. Three weeks ago he stopped the methadone at 65, waited about a day, and started 24mg/day subutex. He did it on a whim too, he was tired of going to the methadone clinic, and passed a WALK IN Suboxone/Subutex clinic (yeah, you heard that right, a doc-in-the-box that only does buprenorphine in and phentermine -- only in Dallas lol)

Three weeks later, with the help of various benzos (xanax, temazepam, valium, and semi-benzo ambien) he is down to 8mg/day.

Oddly enough, most people have big problems jumping off methadone at a dose as high as 65mg, and SWIM didn't wait for withdrawals to start to take my first does.. Didn't have many w/d effects either.

Last edited by jeremy.p; 19-11-2012 at 07:29. Reason: USED SWIM
Old 28-09-2012, 03:08
Mercury Member

Male from United States
poop mayer needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

Super sorry about your loss man. You can learn from man, much worse things could have happened such as dying. This may be an inconvenience for, and it's very tragic, but your life isn't over. These are the dangers of being in such a desperate position.
Shooting is one dangerous way to get high :/
Old 12-11-2012, 05:46

Male from USA - Texas
jeremy.p is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%

**PLEASE FORGIVE ME, I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT SWIM WAS MANDATORY**

So damn sorry man... Swim thinks he came close to some possible tissue debridement or even amputation. He was doing roughly 2 grams of heroin (black tar -- the nasty stuff) daily, equaling about 8 hits over the day. His veins are blown up and shot to hell, so each attempt would be 5-25 tries to find a vein that he could actually register. In the end, he only could use small veins in his hands and feet, but he tried a blown vein in his arm anyway. BIG mistake. It looked like he registered, pushed in, and just torwards the end of the hit, he went through the tiny, messed up vein, and felt that familiar burn of a missed shot. This was some NASTY product (good effect, but clearly hell on your body), and he noticed pain in the arm and even had a fever after 2-3 days.

He had developed an abscess that he tried to treat on his own (antibiotics -- both topical bactroban aka mupirocin which always helped in the past, and oral amoxicillin/clav + salt water soaks, etc). After a week or so the surface of his arm looked much better, but was still a little tender.

He thought "great, that is over, no worries". But then where the abscess was, he started to get a deeeep purple spot that was very painful, and had a massive and hard lump underneath. It kept growing until it was larger than an old-school iPod or a playing card. The swelling was to the point where the fold of his arm (being swollen upward about two inches) couldn't move.

He finally went to the ER, and the doctors said that they had seen many an abscess, but not anything like this (such a hard and large mass). They attempted to drain it, but there was nothing to drain. They biopsied the bulge and found that it was a severe strep infection in the muscle and possible fascitiis. SWIM was given a PICC line (a tube going through a vein in your arm directly into your heart) and given massive doses of antibiotics to prevent the infection from turning into "necrotizing fascitiis" aka "flesh eating disease". Luckily, SWIM caught it early, and at least according to his doctors, if a muscular infection spreads to the "fascia" (a connective muscle tissue), the infection can move by inches an hour, and likely the only remedy is surgical removal of that tissue OR full on amputation.

He feels deeply for anyone who lost a digit or limb due to a mistake (or hell, any other circumstances). It is admirable and important for people who have suffered such tragedies to share on HR boards like this to make other members aware of the consequences that (what can seem like) simple actions can have.

In reality, IV use always carries the risk of amputation; there isn't any 100% guarantee that you won't develop an infection or accidentally do an interarterial injection (such as some of the above posters). SWIM used sterile needles, a micron filter, alcohol prep pads, and sterile water and still managed to come close to saying goodbye to his right arm permenantly.

If you choose to IV, make sure you follow PROPER sterile technique, use fresh equipment, a proper filter, a cleaned site (alcohol or benzalkonium chloride or trilosan), and if at all possible, sterile water (boiled distilled water is a decent secondary option), but one should never assume that the pill, powder, tar, shards, or whatever else you decide to put in your veins is sterile.

Most importantly, learn where arteries are, and learn how to do a proper register with your rig so that you can tell if you have hit one. If you do, GET THAT SHIT OUT OF YOUR BODY. If you injected and you start swelling, get to the ER or A&E as soon as physically possible. It may be a pain in the ass, but it may be your one and only chance to save a limb.

Be safe guys, as IV is never 100%; if you must IV, do your best to mitigate the risk.

PS: Suboxone strips & pills (buprenorphine & naloxone), Subutex (buprenorphine), and several other pills (such as temazepam "jellies", or even the "abuse resistant" Oxycontin (OP's) and Opana ER's) have caused many an amputation, so if SWIY favors IV pills, make sure its not one that causes clots (due to binders, like the new OxyContin or Opana ER) or due to the simple nature of the compund.

As always, harm reduction is paramount. Thank you to the OP for sharing your story; hopefully others can learn from this type of mistake. I wish all the best to you.

**PLEASE FORGIVE ME, I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT SWIM WAS MANDATORY**

Please do not use SWIM http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197306

Last edited by jeremy.p; 19-11-2012 at 07:28. Reason: USED SWIM
Old 12-11-2012, 06:58
Titanium Member

24 y/o Male from USA - Arkansas
PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.
Points: 4,492, Level: 9 Points: 4,492, Level: 9 Points: 4,492, Level: 9
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

I have a quick question. Was this the result of you not filtering it, shooting in an artery, or a combination of both. If it was for not filtering it then I am even more grateful for your post. I will never shoot anything up without filtering again.

Share this on:

Tags
artery shot, bad ideas, hit an artery, injecting dangers, injecting heroin, injecting into an artery, injecting pills, injection, injection site, swelling at injection site

Sitelinks: Information: