Nitrous Oxide N2O, Laughing gas

Closed Thread

Old 29-08-2010, 17:40

Male from United States
Arsenic is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
What's with auto grade NOS?

I have a NOS tank that has 100 ppm sulfur dioxide in it. It's the auto grade stuff, but nobody has provided me a clear explanation as to why it's so bad to inhale. It's not the stuff that has hydrogen sulfide, so it's not a deadly neurotoxin.

If someone could enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:00
Silver Member

Male from United States
T Ferg is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1
Re: What's with auto grade NOS?

Sulfur Dioxide is both toxic and corrosive. SWIY really doesn't want to inhale it. I'm not sure if that answers the question or not...

T Ferg added 2 Minutes and 29 Seconds later...

I cannot edit my post so I will leave this information here which was found on wikipedia

Quote:
Inhaling sulfur dioxide is associated with increased respiratory symptoms and disease, difficulty in breathing, and premature death.[15] In 2008, the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists reduced the Short-term exposure limit from 5ppm to 0.25ppm. The OSHA PEL is currently set at 5ppm (13 mg/m3) time weighted average. NIOSH has set the IDLH at 100ppm.[16]
Food additive
In the United States, the Center for Science in the Public Interest lists the two food preservatives, sulfur dioxide and sodium bisulfate, as being safe for human consumption except for certain individuals who may be sensitive to it, especially in large amounts.[17]

Post Quality Evaluations:
Solid reply to the OP with supporting reference (although Wikipedia cannot be relied upon, the quote you use is relevant)
good further research

Last edited by T Ferg; 07-09-2010 at 01:00. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 13-09-2010, 16:15

Male from United States

I find it strange that the wiki quote says it's bad to inhale, but then says that it's safe for human consumption...

SWIM has sat around his tank with a few friends for a couple hours with no issues from anyone, which is why he's so confused about people advising against it.

One of SWIM's friends fainted once and gave himself a concussion, but that was the worst. He shouldn't have been standing.
Old 16-09-2010, 01:11
Silver Member

Male from United States
pittkiva is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1

Consumption does not equal inhalation. Sulfur dioxide forms sulfuric acid when mixed with water, a small amount of sulfur in the stomach thats already full of hydrochloric acid isnt going to harm much. Sulfuric acid in the lungs will cause chemical pneumonia.

As for SWIYs experience so far, it could be due to a smaller than normal amount of sulfur being mixed into that tank. Thats not to say the bad effects wont occur after longer use.
Old 16-09-2010, 01:24
Gold Member

Male from USA - New York
RaverHippie must mainline MedlineRaverHippie must mainline MedlineRaverHippie must mainline MedlineRaverHippie must mainline MedlineRaverHippie must mainline MedlineRaverHippie must mainline MedlineRaverHippie must mainline MedlineRaverHippie must mainline MedlineRaverHippie must mainline MedlineRaverHippie must mainline MedlineRaverHippie must mainline Medline
Points: 3,053, Level: 8 Points: 3,053, Level: 8 Points: 3,053, Level: 8
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

pittkiva nailed it, eating sulfur dioxide is harmless. breathing it gives it different environments to react, like the capillaries found in lung alveoli, which themselves are very delicate and are easily irritated.
Old 20-09-2010, 10:05

Male from United States
Shardz is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1

tastes horrible too, very very horrible, you can filter it, but the taste is still there, you can try to mask it with flavoring too.
Old 27-09-2010, 04:35

Male from United States

The taste has never been an issue to anyone before. Some have said it tastes good.

I would be curious to know what the sulfur dioxide does when it enters the lungs specifically, as I would like to pass my own judgement upon the health risks after knowing more about it.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:12
Silver Member

Male from United States
pittkiva is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1

Inhaling sulfur dioxide is associated with increased respiratory symptoms and disease, difficulty in breathing, and premature death.[15] In 2008, the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists reduced the Short-term exposure limit from 5ppm to 0.25ppm. The OSHA PEL is currently set at 5ppm (13 mg/m3) time weighted average. NIOSH has set the IDLH at 100ppm.[16]

good information
Old 02-02-2011, 12:46

Female from United States
lindsey8290 should review received reputation comments.
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1

because the sulfur is horrible for your lungs/body! there is a method using faygo pop to get the sulfur out of the tank. my pet flamingo has noticed a sweet taste in the nitrous at different after hrs bars and was told some explanation about using faygo to get the sulfur out. but whatever you do don't just inhale it the way it is lol and never do it straight from the tank as that will seriously F your lungs (my pet flamingo once saw a very intoxicated man do this at one of the after hrs bars when the person who was running the tank wasn't looking, and doesn't want to know what happened to the poor guy )
Old 02-02-2011, 21:19
Platinum Member & Advisor

34 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,306, Level: 20 Points: 19,306, Level: 20 Points: 19,306, Level: 20
Activity: 59.0% Activity: 59.0% Activity: 59.0%

I'm not sure what sort of person would think that Faygo pop would filter sulphurdioxide from a gas, probably a really dumb person. I would suggest avoiding such an idiot at all costs.

I have heard that a gas mask filter could work, they DO filter SO2, and the theory was that NO2 has similar enough binding properties to O2 that it could slip through. It is at least worth a try as the filter was designed for... filtering, unlike pop.
Old 03-02-2011, 20:08

25 y/o Male from United States
night tripper should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

What I do is bubble auto grade NOS through a culligan jug filled with water and baking soda (to lower the ph levels) and I can't taste any sulfur at all.

When I inhale straight auto grade NOS I get heartburn and sometimes I have trouble breathing and my lungs always hurt the next day, but when I bubble it, its just like food grade NOS...

I dunno, I have people convinced that it is food grade when I go to festivals and stuff...

We do not condine such deplorable behavior as lying about the quality of drugs, especially when they are known to be contaminated. Grow up or you won't be around for long.
Don't self-incriminate, and DON'T do what you're doing...
Passing off auto grade NOS to others as food grade makes you scum
It is totally reckless and irresponsible to misrepresent any drug
Old 05-02-2011, 15:01
Palladium Member

Female from United States
TheFakeBass really adds to the discussion.TheFakeBass really adds to the discussion.TheFakeBass really adds to the discussion.TheFakeBass really adds to the discussion.TheFakeBass really adds to the discussion.TheFakeBass really adds to the discussion.
Points: 745, Level: 4 Points: 745, Level: 4 Points: 745, Level: 4
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by night tripper View Post
What I do is bubble auto grade NOS through a culligan jug filled with water and baking soda (to lower the ph levels) and I can't taste any sulfur at all.

When I inhale straight auto grade NOS I get heartburn and sometimes I have trouble breathing and my lungs always hurt the next day, but when I bubble it, its just like food grade NOS...

I dunno, I have people convinced that it is food grade when I go to festivals and stuff...
First off, self-incrimination.
Second, are you saying that you pass off automobile grade nitrous oxide as food grade nitrous oxide to unsuspecting people? That is unethical and DEPLORABLE. This is a harm reduction website.

Even if you mean that you don't TELL people what grade it is and you let them ASSUME it's food grade, that's hardly any better.

Last edited by TheFakeBass; 05-02-2011 at 19:37. Reason: changed "they assume" to "you let them assume"
Old 05-02-2011, 17:37
Gold Member

Male from United States
Mike177 is a decent psychonaut.Mike177 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 286, Level: 2 Points: 286, Level: 2 Points: 286, Level: 2
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter View Post
I'm not sure what sort of person would think that Faygo pop would filter sulphurdioxide from a gas, probably a really dumb person. I would suggest avoiding such an idiot at all costs.
Lol. Yes, idiots can be very hazardous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter View Post
I have heard that a gas mask filter could work, they DO filter SO2, and the theory was that NO2 has similar enough binding properties to O2 that it could slip through. It is at least worth a try as the filter was designed for... filtering, unlike pop.
SWIM has used gas-mask filters before with success. SWIM would encourage anyone doing this to replace the filter often! SWIM would recommend not filtering over 10 lbs of N2O + SO2 with one gas mask filter. Also old gas mask filters do vary in quality. SWIM is going to attempt using a bubbling method soon simply because H2O and a strong base is cheaper then going threw a bunch of gas mask filters (the price adds up over time).

SWIM asks that anyone attempting to filter auto grade nitrous be very careful and mindful of what they are doing. If there is even a doubt in ones mind that their end product may not be completely clean DON'T DO IT! It's not worth the risk to your health, instead go back to the drawing board.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:52

Male from United States

SWIM began to filter the sulfur dioxide by running the gas through a tank filled with just plain tap water (well water to be specific) and then re-pressurized into another tank for easy transport. SWIM can't taste even a bit of sulfur and it irritates the lungs even less than before (it didn't irritate much straight from the tank though). I think it filters it out quite well, I wonder how often SWIM should change the water, once he starts tasting sulfur again would be a clear indication, one would think.
Old 09-02-2011, 18:13
Platinum Member & Advisor

34 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,306, Level: 20 Points: 19,306, Level: 20 Points: 19,306, Level: 20
Activity: 59.0% Activity: 59.0% Activity: 59.0%

Until someone can post any Scientific Evidence that Auto-Grade Nitrous can actually be filtered with water or soda, it should be assumed that the terrible advice in this thread is dangerous and not to be attempted. Just because you can't taste sulfur does not mean it is safe to inhale the gas. Further, attempting to pass off such a product as "medical grade" is beyond irresponsible.

Injecting some much needed safety and sanity into this thread
Closed Thread

Share this on:

Tags
auckland, bad ideas, huffing, n2o, nitrous, nitrous oxide, sulfur dioxide