Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 27-08-2010, 10:33
Silver Member

37 y/o Female from Germany
Priapism9 is a decent psychonaut.
Does Adderall itself Expire?

Before you say "All prescriptions expire" - I am asking from another angle.

This is an amphetamine. Similar amphetamines like MDMA are so stable that they will literally last hundreds of years without breaking down, if kept cool and dry.

I would like to know if this is true of adderall amphetamine salts? My guess would be yes it is true.

Anyone with knowledge have any input? (aside from the people i see all over google mindlessly saying "all prescriptions expire!") ...

Thanks

-P-

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good question. Interested to see responses!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:11
Silver Member

Re: Does Adderall itself Expire?

Bump...
Old 07-09-2010, 07:33
Titanium Member

Male from United States
xenos is captain of the psychonauts.xenos is captain of the psychonauts.xenos is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 380, Level: 3 Points: 380, Level: 3 Points: 380, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Well the pet robot has no scientific data other than personal experiences. He had some expired Instant Release Adderall that seemed to work perfectly. Probably was expired for a year...
Old 07-09-2010, 08:35
Silver Member

Female from United States
SamanthaRabbit probably knows what they are talking about.SamanthaRabbit probably knows what they are talking about.SamanthaRabbit probably knows what they are talking about.SamanthaRabbit probably knows what they are talking about.SamanthaRabbit probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 993, Level: 4 Points: 993, Level: 4 Points: 993, Level: 4
Activity: 6.6% Activity: 6.6% Activity: 6.6%

It has been Swim's experience that even though a medication has an expiration date on it, the quality of some prescription drugs does not go down just because it is past the expiration date. Her doctor gives her expired samples of antidepressants for free as part of my appointments Swim has with her. She is not the first doctor that has done this either.
Old 07-09-2010, 17:28
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from United States
fizzle is on the way upfizzle is on the way upfizzle is on the way up
Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaRabbit View Post
Her doctor gives her expired samples of antidepressants for free as part of my appointments Swim has with her. She is not the first doctor that has done this either.
For some reason that does not surprise me at all. Although it seems like the wrong thing to do (giving out expired meds), docs throw antidepressants around like candy without thinking twice, and these are powerful, mind-altering, addictive drugs!

Swim has taken old alprazolam before (around 5-6 years old), and still felt its effects. I think that scripts have to have an expiration date on them just so the manufacturers do not run into any legal troubles. As for Adderall, it could last a very long time. Storage is probably the biggest factor.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:36
Silver Member

When Alexander Shulgin, the godfather of MDMA says that MDMA is so stable, were it found in the egyptian tombs, it would still be effective today ... I tend to lean towards Adderall salts having a similar constitution - although thats quite a long time.

Wish someone knew for sure ...
Old 08-09-2010, 20:36
Silver Member

Female from United States
SamanthaRabbit probably knows what they are talking about.SamanthaRabbit probably knows what they are talking about.SamanthaRabbit probably knows what they are talking about.SamanthaRabbit probably knows what they are talking about.SamanthaRabbit probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 993, Level: 4 Points: 993, Level: 4 Points: 993, Level: 4
Activity: 6.6% Activity: 6.6% Activity: 6.6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzle View Post
For some reason that does not surprise me at all. Although it seems like the wrong thing to do (giving out expired meds), docs throw antidepressants around like candy without thinking twice, and these are powerful, mind-altering, addictive drugs!
Swim agrees that it isn't necessarily the best thing to do, but Swim's experience is that whether the doctor is writing the prescription for the medication or just giving it out for free, the effects are going to be the same, which some might not be good. If only Swim's doctor could give her samples of her ADHD medication
Old 09-09-2010, 23:38
Platinum Member & Advisor

34 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,261, Level: 20 Points: 19,261, Level: 20 Points: 19,261, Level: 20
Activity: 59.8% Activity: 59.8% Activity: 59.8%

No it does not. Prescriptions are given an expiry date so people don't let drugs pile up in their houses. Certain antibiotics can turn toxic, and things needing refrigeration can go bad too, but most drugs are VERY stable under normal conditions
Old 10-09-2010, 00:23
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from United States
fatal probably knows what they are talking about.fatal probably knows what they are talking about.fatal probably knows what they are talking about.fatal probably knows what they are talking about.fatal probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 239, Level: 2 Points: 239, Level: 2 Points: 239, Level: 2

amphetamine is very stable under long term storage conditions. you could freeze it but you do not, in fact, need to.

Old 16-10-2010, 21:53
Silver Member

Male from United States
sadskills1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 98, Level: 1 Points: 98, Level: 1 Points: 98, Level: 1

if not kept properly, it will spoil as anyone who has found the odd pill laying around after a year or two will tell you. swim describes the feeling like a stomach bug, swiy get a bit hyped, but then get an intense pain in your gut and then get rid of everything in your digestive tract. trust swim, swiy will know if its gone bad rather quickly, but it does take some significant time to spoil. swim notes the tabs spoil quicker than the xr does
Old 17-10-2010, 17:35
Platinum Member & Advisor

34 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,261, Level: 20 Points: 19,261, Level: 20 Points: 19,261, Level: 20
Activity: 59.8% Activity: 59.8% Activity: 59.8%

Sorry Sadskills1987 but that simply isn't true, pills don't spoil, they don't get old and cause stomach upsets. Your friend suffered some weird coincidence, nothing more.
Old 29-10-2010, 22:18
Silver Member

29 y/o Male from USA - California
Pieces Mended is on the way upPieces Mended is on the way upPieces Mended is on the way up
Points: 470, Level: 3 Points: 470, Level: 3 Points: 470, Level: 3
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%

With only antibiotics in mind (as Potter already mentioned), SWIM can't think of any drugs that would go "bad". Their chemical structure isn't going to change simply from sitting around for too long.

The key for anyone wishing to keep an emergency supply of their medication for an extended period of time would be storage method though. SWIM keeps 2 months sealed and stored together in a location with other important items he'd need if ever there was some sort of disaster, where he couldn't fill a prescription for a while. What he started doing was tossing the little moisture collector from his Excedrin bottles into his emergency pills. Doing this, he has kept generic alprazolam, which tends to be quite easy to break/crumble in perfect shape for over 2+ years.

The only thing SWIM would caution would be leaving unprotected pills in a moist, dark environment for too long .Under those conditions, mold or mildew can grow on just about anything. Beyond that there should be no worries.

Share this on:

Tags
adderall, aderall, amphetamine, amphetamine salts, amphetamines, california, drugs, drugs-forum, effects of adderall, expiration date, expired medicine, methylphenidate