Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Downers and sleeping pills > Benzodiazepines
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Benzodiazepines All about benzodiazepines (downers)

Old 13-08-2010, 08:48

Male from United Kingdom
zalman is an unknown quantity at this point
Xanax (Alprazolam) and Alcohol?

SWIM was prescribed Alprazolam a few days ago for anxiety, after numerous other drugs have had no effects.
Now SWIMs problem is, he has a high tolerance for alcohol (easily at the height of it 3 bottles of vodka a day, but recently more like 6 beers as he's trying to leave it all alone).

SWIM, however, was wondering if 6 beers would do him any harm if he took a couple mg's of alprazolam a few hours after (or during) that kind of intake of alcohol.

SWIM has spoken to a few doctors, who said no it wouldn't, but would like to also hear from people on here who may have friends that have done/do this.
Old 13-08-2010, 11:03
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

35 y/o Male from Earth
Dr. Satan really knows their shit.Dr. Satan really knows their shit.Dr. Satan really knows their shit.Dr. Satan really knows their shit.Dr. Satan really knows their shit.Dr. Satan really knows their shit.Dr. Satan really knows their shit.Dr. Satan really knows their shit.
Points: 1,591, Level: 6 Points: 1,591, Level: 6 Points: 1,591, Level: 6
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Xanax and Alcohol?

It could be dangerous to combine Alcohol with Benzodiazepines, swiy should note that a large percentage of health problems and hospitalizations associated with meds have usually involved a combination with Alcohol.

Alcohol can increase the risk of certain Xanax side effects, and swiy can also be more sensitive to Alcohol effects. It is important to note that this combo may induce mental problems (anxiety or panic disorders).
Both Xanax (Alprazolam) and Alcohol are central nervous system depressants, which means they can both slow the activity of the brain.

So avoid if possible any Alcohol while on Xanax treatment.

Take care

Post Quality Evaluations:
Excellent Harm-Reduction advice.
Old 13-08-2010, 18:07
Silver Member

Male from Spain
RoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPAC
Points: 3,339, Level: 8 Points: 3,339, Level: 8 Points: 3,339, Level: 8
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%

I have done EXACTLY what you're describing.

I took 1mg of alprazolam and downed a 6-pack of beer.

All I remember from that night was roaming around the streets asking random people in the street for cocaine.

When I woke up, I also realized that more than 8 of my 0.5mg aloprazolam pills were missing.I was alone so I know I took them.

It's really dangerous in the sense that you might do things like that.And plus, it's absolutely NO FUN at all.Honestly it's not recreational by my definition at all.

Robo
Old 13-08-2010, 18:30
Palladium Member

32 y/o Male from United States
PsychoActivist must live here.PsychoActivist must live here.PsychoActivist must live here.PsychoActivist must live here.PsychoActivist must live here.PsychoActivist must live here.PsychoActivist must live here.PsychoActivist must live here.
Points: 1,889, Level: 6 Points: 1,889, Level: 6 Points: 1,889, Level: 6
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

The fact is that Benzodiazepines have a VERY high LD50 on their own.... In rats the smallest lethal dose was 331mg to kg of body weight. However, when mixed with alcohol and other CNS depressants, this changes dramatically.

I am not certain about dose ranges when combined with alcohol but I am willing to bet that even just a few mg of alprazolam combined with alcohol has put people in the hospital before.

On top of this, as Robocode stated, by combining both substances, one is definitely headed toward blackout territory and the chances of engaging in dangerous behavior are much more likely due to lack of inhibitions and awareness.

So just keep in mind that benzos by themselves are generally pretty safe as far as causing any major complications (excluding addiction potential) but if you throw a little alcohol into the mix they can be deadly...

Hope this helps some,
PA
Old 13-08-2010, 18:46
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from USA - Minnesota
godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.
Points: 2,042, Level: 6 Points: 2,042, Level: 6 Points: 2,042, Level: 6
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%

Well from experience, people tend to be more "care-free" with this combination.

For example, I was at a small party at a DJ friend of mine's house. This girl who I was sweat on and known for a period of time before that night ended up taking xanax after alcohol. Next thing you know she's trying to rape me on the couch. I kissed her and whatnot and told her to calm down, and she did. Then she was dancing on the table infront of me. Next thing you know, she was making out with my friend who was passed out asleep on the other couch.

The next day when we were alone she apologized, knowing little of what happened but enough to know she made an ass out of herself.

The combination didn't kill her, but she sure did wish it had(metaphorically) due to embarrassment.
Old 14-08-2010, 18:08

Male from United Kingdom

Just a little update:

SWIM took some alprazolam, along with some beers. felt tired, went to sleep, and is pretty sure he made a fool of himself even though his recollection is sketchy.
So yeah, I doubt he'll bother doing it again and just stick to them as prescribed for the anxiety

Thanks for the update...
Old 14-08-2010, 18:54
Palladium Member

32 y/o Male from United States
PsychoActivist must live here.PsychoActivist must live here.PsychoActivist must live here.PsychoActivist must live here.PsychoActivist must live here.PsychoActivist must live here.PsychoActivist must live here.PsychoActivist must live here.
Points: 1,889, Level: 6 Points: 1,889, Level: 6 Points: 1,889, Level: 6
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalman View Post
Just a little update:

SWIM took some alprazolam, along with some beers. felt tired, went to sleep, and is pretty sure he made a fool of himself even though his recollection is sketchy.
So yeah, I doubt he'll bother doing it again and just stick to them as prescribed for the anxiety
LOL... yeh... as I said... thats headed straight towards blackout territory.. Thanks for the update. Good to know SWIY slept it off.

In SWIPA's younger days he would take this combo in fairly large doses and WOULD NOT go to sleep... just stumble around in a blackout for hours on end... then come to the next morning on the kitchen floor... refrigerator door open... ice cream all over the place... burners on the stove turned on but nothing cooking.... etc...

Or worse... wake up in jail and have no idea why oneself is there... Hope it was just a public intoxication... would really suck if SWIPA murdered someone... but not like he'd remember it so he may be able to beat the polygraph... hmmm...

Yeh Alcohol + Benzo's is a very dangerous combo...
Be careful
Old 15-08-2010, 18:03
Silver Member

43 y/o Male from United Kingdom
bosch man is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 125, Level: 1 Points: 125, Level: 1 Points: 125, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Xanax (Alprazolam) and Alcohol?

Hi my dog takes .25mg alprazolam in the morning and .5 at around 3pm then drinks upto 12 units of alcohol in the evening, no problems at all. If you are tolerant to alcohol a small bit of xanax wont do you any harm, infact even if you take it as perscribed by your GP social drinking on top is unlikely to cause harm.
Old 15-08-2010, 18:42
Silver Member

Male from United States
coolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,390, Level: 7 Points: 2,390, Level: 7 Points: 2,390, Level: 7
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%

the combo is a definite black out machine. swim has done it many many times at very high doses not even gonna say how much because it was ridiculous, swim called a bunch of people and said a bunch of stupid shit. if swiy has a large tolerance for booze, he should be ok to mix in small doses. not anything someone with little tolerance to either should do, could cause respiratory depression or death, not to mention hard core black outs.
Old 15-08-2010, 23:27
Silver Member

Male from Spain
RoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPAC
Points: 3,339, Level: 8 Points: 3,339, Level: 8 Points: 3,339, Level: 8
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%

Quote:
the combo is a definite black out machine. swim has done it many many times at very high doses not even gonna say how much because it was ridiculous, swim called a bunch of people and said a bunch of stupid shit. if swiy has a large tolerance for booze, he should be ok to mix in small doses. not anything someone with little tolerance to either should do, could cause respiratory depression or death, not to mention hard core black outs.
That's just like this time, when robo took 8-10mg of clonazepam, left the house and woke up in jail.He was told he stole a pick-up truck and tried to outrun the police with it.

It's been 3 years, and all he recalls are flashes up to this day...

Robo
Old 12-09-2010, 04:47

Male from United Kingdom
Alcohol and Alprazolam

As a recovering alcoholic, SWIM has been drinking whilst taking his Alprazolam.

Simple question, I hope. Is the drinking killing the buzz of the Alprazolam, or vice-versa, because all SWIM seems to do is fall asleep.

SWIM has tried a couple 4% beers, a Couple 8% beers,, all mixed up with between .23 and 8bars of xanax.

Is this normal? Is this not the drug for SWIM? Should I just knock the booze on the head and go straight xanax?

SWIM honestly doesn't know what to do, he nodded so much earlier he missed his pharmacy appt.

SWIM is detixed from alcohol btw so there's no risk form that.
SWIM just wants to feel relaxed, no anxiety, no painc attacks, and maybe the odd buzz if he's feeling low.

I just want some honest opinions.
IS alcohol + xanax just wasting his buzz?
Old 12-09-2010, 18:16
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from United States
RaoulDuke32 is captain of the psychonauts.RaoulDuke32 is captain of the psychonauts.RaoulDuke32 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 275, Level: 2 Points: 275, Level: 2 Points: 275, Level: 2
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%
Re: Alocohol and Xanax

ok, first off, if your a recovering alcoholic, then you are not in 'recovery' if your still drinking. if you really want to ditch the alcohol, a benzo is a good way to start. but xanax is the worst one to choose among the plethora of pills. a better one would be diazapam or clonazapam at a small dose, so you can maintain.

recovery means your life is about maintenance, not getting high or drunk anymore. and going to meetings and getting support wouldnt hurt.

If you wish to keep drinking and popping pills, then be more careful and start with lower doses of the xanax. taking .5-1mg at a time with one or two beers. for swim, sometimes alcohol intensifies his benzo buzz, and sometimes it takes it down a notch.

swim suggests a benzo on its own since your in 'recovery'. 1 mg of xanax should work. if it doesnt then try another 1 mg.

but for now please stop drinking, or at least slow down as much as possible. you are in denial about your alcohol use. Your taking enough xanax to put someone in a coma (8 bars) and consuming alcohol along with this. downer/downer combos are 99% of drug related OD's.

taking too much benzos causes anterograde amnesia, where one doesnt realize one is high and proceeds to do things as normal. this seems like what happened to you.

fantastic points brought up in this post!
Old 12-09-2010, 18:50
Titanium Member

25 y/o Male from USA - Kentucky
Moving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond repute
Re: Alocohol and Xanax

^^Excellent points.

Xanax and alcohol actually intensify each other. And they don't intensify the fun parts of either drug, btw. And like benzos alone, this combination makes you think you're not as fucked up as you really are. Blackouts are also extremely common when combining alcohol and benzos. So you've got all the negatives and none of the positives of the two drugs. Swim has learned the hard way and will probably learn again in the future that mixing the two are a recipe for disaster.

And 8 bars mixed with beer? That's 16 mg xanax! Plus beer! You should thank your stars that all you did was pass out. It could have been much worse!
Old 13-09-2010, 18:44
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from United States
RaoulDuke32 is captain of the psychonauts.RaoulDuke32 is captain of the psychonauts.RaoulDuke32 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 275, Level: 2 Points: 275, Level: 2 Points: 275, Level: 2
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%
Re: Alcohol and Alprazolam

[high fives movingpictures]

we pretty much covered the bases, but...

just to reiterate, do NOT mix these two substances again. using either one could lead back to you being addicted to alcohol, if it hasnt already.
stopping drinking completely would be good, but if you dont, please dont mix these two substances as profusely as you did.

If swim were in your position, he would go to a doctor and tell them hes worried about alprazolam, could they please switch him to a higher dose of a longer acting benzo. and swim would quit drinking completely. but thats just an idea.

Share this on:

Tags
alcohol, alcohol combinations, alcohol interactions, alprazolam, alprazolam combinations, alprazolam interactions, anxiety, aprazolam, beer, booze, combinations, date rape, drug combinations, fatal overdose, klonopin, ld50, overdose, pass out, sleeping pills, wine, xanax, xanax combinations