Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 03-08-2010, 02:01

25 y/o Male from United States
SunnyHours is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 394, Level: 3 Points: 394, Level: 3 Points: 394, Level: 3
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Chronic Pain, something similar to Dilaudid?

Hi SWIYS!
SWIM has been having daily pain since he's 13 (Knee pains, migraine and cystic acne)...Now he's 21 and he feels like most of the things he used to enjoy doing aren't that much of a possibility since the pain I had in my knees when SWIM was 13 evolved in knee, lower back, neck, elbows and wrists.
SWIM still has migraines and cystic acne in the groin area which is very painful, and it keeps me from exercising which doesn't help since SWIM might have a certain type of inflammatory arthritis...

Anyways SWIM has already tried a variety of pain meds: Codeine Oxycodone, Morphine IV, Meperidine (Demerol), Hydromorphone (Dilaudid), Normethadone (Cophylac drops) and Heroin...
Out of all the only 3 he found he could actually function is Heroin, Dilaudid and a smaller dose than SWIM had taken of Normethadone...

Is there anyway that SWIM could actually ask his doctor for pain med without being taken like a junkie? Would asking for only a couple of pills a month be a good idea to prove to his doctor that SWIM is looking for at least occasional relief of his symptoms?
Also is there something similar to the 3 opiates I mentioned that would produce similar effects?
Old 03-08-2010, 02:40
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from United States
goatmilk is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Chronic Pain, something similar to Dilaudid?

knee pains, cystic acne and migraines wont get pain meds from a doc....especially if young.

You would probably need to get really lucky with a liberal doc.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:24

So what does that mean exactly? SWIM will have to be in pain for the remainder of his life because he doesn't have a condition "deemed" opiate worthy? Even though SWIM is getting Very Intense Pain during flare ups and migraines?
Old 03-08-2010, 04:05

Male from United States
goatmilk is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1

The stigma. Imposed morals and the demonetization of pain killers, which can be used for things from depression to physical pain, unfortunatley dont allow docs to make a simple decision to give patients what they ask for unless it's on a TV commercial.

It's a real bitch. Have you tried any docs yet?

The most obvious thing a doc will do is give you accutane for acne, celebrex or something similar for arthritis and a migraine med.......

Swim believes docs should give whatever a patient needs. Unfortunately religious imposed morals and views along with public opinion ( mostly religious ) get in the damn way.

I hope you can get some help. Believe that I know what it's like to have those problems the acne sucks but the migraines and arthritis are killer.

Good luck
Old 03-08-2010, 04:31
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from United States
RaoulDuke32 is captain of the psychonauts.RaoulDuke32 is captain of the psychonauts.RaoulDuke32 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 275, Level: 2 Points: 275, Level: 2 Points: 275, Level: 2
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

realistically:
if swiy want pain meds, youll have to prove to a doc you need them by going through other medicines and saying "no these dont work, what else". if you try what he gives you a couple times and say the pain is still there, swiy should get some vicodin or percs. you can squeeze those out of docs at least. just dont expect any oxys or dilaudid first visit.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:17
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from USA - Minnesota
godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.
Points: 2,042, Level: 6 Points: 2,042, Level: 6 Points: 2,042, Level: 6
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%

The doctor will more then likely tell the person, who seeks the answer, no to the opiates. If one seeks relief from everyday pain and the first solution that they come up with is heroin...someone else would more then likely tell them to try other routes rather then opiates.

First off the doctor would check to see if the "groin acne" is what it is said to be. It could be staff infection for all we know, or something else. Either way a topical medication would be prescribed, lacking the heroin of course.

For the arthritis, a good guess would be Naproxen, aka Naprosyn. No scoring opiates on that one either.

The migraines on the other hand could be a big jar of worms. Picking into that jar of worms you could find anything from withdrawal to a brain tumor.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:15
Silver Member

Male from United States
goldenyears is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1

Plus there are to many other drugs to treat migraines with other than opiates.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:23

29 y/o Female from United Kingdom
southern girl really knows their shit.southern girl really knows their shit.southern girl really knows their shit.southern girl really knows their shit.southern girl really knows their shit.southern girl really knows their shit.southern girl really knows their shit.southern girl really knows their shit.southern girl really knows their shit.
Points: 1,921, Level: 6 Points: 1,921, Level: 6 Points: 1,921, Level: 6

Peaches has chronic pain and she has been given codeine. She has also tried dihydrocodeine and tramadol but she finds codeine works "better" for her pain than the other two. Thats not to say that it takes her pain away completely, but most of the time, nothing will. She has scoliosis, 3 fixated vertebrae, and chronic sciatica. Her Dr's arent willing to give her anything stronger right now and shes okay with that at the moment, well most of the time. Pain management maybe in her future though. She has to see a surgeon first. Anyway. My point is, even with all those problems, Peaches hasnt been on anything stronger than tramadol and dhc. Not to be rude, but I dont think SWIYS symptoms warrant morphine, hydromorphone, or anything like that. No offense, Im just being honest with SWIY here.

If SWIY really wants help with his chronic pain, Peaches suggests going to his Dr and seeing what the Dr thinks is right for SWIY. Like a previous poster said, the symptoms listed wont warrant SWIY those types of pain meds. If SWIY goes in there requesting or demanding things that will definitely raise suspicions. Try the pain meds given, if any are given, and if they dont work then tell SWIYS Dr.

I must say, please becareful when trying all of those opiates SWIY listed. Im sure SWIY knows that some are very potent and very addicting. The last thing you want is to have an addiction on top of your chronic pain. Peaches knows, she deals with both on a daily basis and they will definitely break you down. Just proceed with caution. Peaches can understand SWIY wants pain relief but the safest thing to do is go to SWIYS Dr and see what they say.

Good luck and stay safe.

SG.xxx
Old 03-08-2010, 09:57

40 y/o Male from Albania
plopplop2000 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1

If a doctor stuffs you full with painkillers while you're having such syptoms, change doctors - these meds relieve pain but they do NOT help your condition, quite the contrary actually, since they're making your endorphine receptors less "sensitive" and therefore top your brain from being able to regulate the pain on its own.

In your c

plopplop2000 added 10 Minutes and 43 Seconds later...

With your symptoms, a doctor should NOT give you such strong painkillers, at least you should be administered another treatment, most likely a steroidian corticoïd anti-inflamatory medicine like prednisolone - the Opioïds are actually likely to make your condition worse for many reasons, including the loss of efficiency of your brain's own edorphines and therefore the ability of your brain to regulate pain by itself. Then you have the dehydration issues/common "life hygiene" (nothing to do with being cleansy, more with the overall lifestyle) that may have a bad influence on your condition.

I would really consider chaging doctors if i were you, or even cosider a trip abroad if health insurance is an issue.

plopplop2000 added 7 Minutes and 52 Seconds later...

ok i don't know what happened above, something got messed up, sorry for that

anyway, i wanted to add that one might try Fentanyl if the other opioïds stop working thyeir magic.

Post Quality Evaluations:
good posting, nice, accurate and on the spot!

Last edited by plopplop2000; 03-08-2010 at 09:57. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-08-2010, 17:27

SWIM really doesn't matter trying other meds...as long as they help and the side effects are manageable...what SWIM means is do you think the doctor would mind giving me a Rx just so that SWIM can enjoy a few hours of his life without pain? Granted I'm not in the worst pain continuously (migraine) but my arthritis flare ups are longer lasting and hurt more than before...cuz at 21 it's quite depressing to stop your activities because you feel like a grandpa :P
Old 03-08-2010, 17:40
Silver Member

RaoulDuke32 is captain of the psychonauts.RaoulDuke32 is captain of the psychonauts.RaoulDuke32 is captain of the psychonauts.

dude just find the right doc for swiy. if one doctor doesnt understand and presrcibes shit that doesnt help, tell him. if it still doesnt help, go to a new doc. it sucks but us 'kids' have to work to find help sometimes. but like i said, if you find the right doc and explain the severe pain happens sometimes and you want 'occasional' relief, you should get percs or vicodins, probably nothing stronger.
Old 03-08-2010, 17:47
Platinum Member & Advisor

Female from United Kingdom
missparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 15,418, Level: 18 Points: 15,418, Level: 18 Points: 15,418, Level: 18
Activity: 7.5% Activity: 7.5% Activity: 7.5%

May I ask, how did SWIY get all of those opiates in the first place, the ones on SWIYs list, in his first post? Cos if he's tried those then they must have been prescribed. If he got (and used them) illegally, then he can't complain if the doctor thinks he's a drug user, cos he is. Apologies if I've got it wrong, an answer to my question would help. Thanks.

Sparkles.
Old 03-08-2010, 18:17

southern girl really knows their shit.southern girl really knows their shit.southern girl really knows their shit.southern girl really knows their shit.southern girl really knows their shit.southern girl really knows their shit.southern girl really knows their shit.southern girl really knows their shit.southern girl really knows their shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyHours View Post
SWIM really doesn't matter trying other meds...as long as they help and the side effects are manageable...what SWIM means is do you think the doctor would mind giving me a Rx just so that SWIM can enjoy a few hours of his life without pain?
If SWIY goes in there and says that to his Dr, Im sure they would help you. No one deserves to be in pain all the time. My point was that those strong opiates that SWIY wants, like hydromorphone, will most likely NOT be prescribed for the symptoms that SWIY described. My mother has hemiplegic migraines that can actually give her a stroke and she is not even prescribed meds to the degree that SWIY wants. Im sure SWIY knows that those are some serious pain meds and a Dr is not just gonna prescribe them. A Dr may prescribed something on lower scale such as hydrocodone or oxycodone or codeine, even though codeine can sometimes make headaches/migraines worse.

Like I said before, no one deserves to be in pain all the time. If SWIY is in pain, go to the Dr, tell them SWIY needs some pain relief because nothing else is helping, but you cant go in there with a shopping list. Take what the Dr gives SWIY, try it, it may work. If not, go back, and Im sure the Dr would be more than happy to try SWIY on something else. But realistically, SWIY is not going to get the drugs he wants.

SG.xxx

Oh yeah, I was also wondering the same as things as Miss Sparkles (the post above).
Old 03-08-2010, 20:45

Haha no SWIM Is just unlucky...he got them legally with broken bones, bad injuries, sprains, wisdom teeth extraction,etc...
His only problem is that they might be willing to prescribe codeine but it doesn't do much for the pain...
Old 03-08-2010, 20:51

missparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyHours View Post
Haha no SWIM Is just unlucky...he got them legally with broken bones, bad injuries, sprains, wisdom teeth extraction,etc...
His only problem is that they might be willing to prescribe codeine but it doesn't do much for the pain...

Ok love, I understand. It's going to be really difficult to get anything strong for pain, cos most docs make you work up from a mild pain killer, until they find one that eases the pain. They may also suggest some other kinda pain therapy, so be aware of that. Do whatever they suggest, cos you don't know, it may help.

I suppose the only thing SWIY could say (if all the other things the doc tries fails) is that they tried their aunties pain meds once (insert drug that works) when they were staying with her, and had run out of their own, and it worked fine. (By this time the doc will possibly be considering a stronger drug as the other treatments don't seem to be working) But only use this if SWIY is in genuine pain. Use this if he's not and he adds to the problem that pain patients like myself encounter when they go for pain meds, ok?

Sparkles.
Old 04-08-2010, 00:32

SWIM is using transcendental meditation to help with pain...but SWIM would like to start exercising again cuz right now he can't really cuz of the pain...
Old 04-08-2010, 19:53

Peaches finds high doses of codeine adequate pain relief most of the time, except for breakthrough pain, and the foot thing she has going on that the Dr's suspects is CRPS II. Anyway. When was the last time SWIY tried codeine? It might help some. Some alleviation is better than none right?

Peaches really does hope SWIY finds some relief :)
She knows how pain effects every single part of someone's life including appetite, sleep, and everyday tasks.

SG.xxx
Old 04-08-2010, 22:05
Silver Member

Male from United States
goldenyears is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenyears View Post
Plus there are to many other drugs to treat migraines with other than opiates.
I just remember another problem that younger people can have with their knees. It's called patellar-femoral dysfunction. The kneecap doesn't track exactly in the groove designed for it. Repair procedure is not to big a surgery and works great.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:17
Silver Member

tell swiy to stop meditating and go to the doctor!
tell him about the pain.
get some light opiates so swiyou can excercise and do daily activities. and report back.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:50

SWIM just met his new doctor yesterday...he doesn't wanna go knock at his new doctor's door and say he wants opiates now...he seems like a nice doctor so SWIM will wait at least a few weeks while on Arthrotec 75 before saying it really didn't do much...
Old 06-08-2010, 08:23

Why not actually try the meds the doc has prescribed, you never know, it might just help?

Sparkles.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Plain advice in this instance is quite warranted.
Old 06-08-2010, 17:45
Silver Member

yeah try these meds and think positive, you never know.
Old 06-08-2010, 18:14

Give it 7-10 days, then go back and explain that it's not working and you need something significantly stronger to enable you to cope whilst any future appointments with specialists come through. Get someone to go with you, preferably a relative, an older relative as docs tend to give anything they say more credence.

Sparkles.
Old 06-08-2010, 19:05

Yeah SWIM had planned almost exactly like you said Missparkles...he's gonna bring his mother along...although swim will have to wait 3 weeks since his doctor is gonna be away on vacation...
And wow! Those meds are expensive! Hehe
Old 06-08-2010, 19:15

Well yes Sunnyhours, that is a consideration that I don't have to think about, cos most scripts in the UK are quite cheap, and if you're on benefit/welfare you don't pay anything. But like you I take my mum when I'm having problems with doc who seem to think, even now, that I just want meds to get high. But trust me, they don't think that for long?

And it's always good to have someone there who has your welfare at heart who can recount just what was said, and remind you of any questions you may wanna ask. I also find docs quite intimidating, I think it's an authority figure issue. But with my mum there feel confident to say just what I need to say.

The thing I found helped was keeping a pain diary. In the next couple of weeks, keep a diary of how your pain feels on a scale of 1-10, how you cope with day to day tasks, and how it effects your sleep pattern. Also write down each day how it affected your whole mood, your mum will also be able to say how this affects you, cos she will have witnessed it.

But if the doc does advise further therapies that don't include meds make sure you tell them that to enable you to carry out his instructions you will need pain meds, for example, if he wants you to have physical therapy, then pain can prevent you doing this. Or say he wants another specialist to look at you, then you need meds to get you through till you see this other doc.

Hope you feel a lot better really soon love.

Sparkles.

Share this on:

Tags
accutane, dilaudid, drugs, iv pain, legal high, opiates, otc pain meds, pain management, pain medication, pain medicine, pain meds, pain relief