Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 18-07-2010, 05:27

Male from United States
Misto should review received reputation comments.
Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
What methadone dose is equivalent to 90-120mgs oxycodone? How often should I dose?

So my cat is currently about to start taking methadone to get off of Oxycodone.

My cat takes about 90-120 mg's of oxycodone a day. What would be the amount my cat should take of methadone? and should he do it once a day or twice?

Last edited by Dickon; 18-07-2010 at 09:43. Reason: title
Old 18-07-2010, 06:54
Platinum Member & Advisor

Female from United Kingdom
missparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 14,963, Level: 17 Points: 14,963, Level: 17 Points: 14,963, Level: 17
Activity: 16.4% Activity: 16.4% Activity: 16.4%
Re: Need a little help

This is quite a difficult one to answer, cos you can't just make a comparison between one opiate and another like that. Usually people (in the UK) are started on 20-30 mls and this rises by 5-10 mls (depending on your doc or drug worker) every 4-5 days. This is because it takes that long to see how the person feels once the methadone has accumulated in their body. Basically if you get an increase in dosage on one day, it won't be felt like it would if your dose of oxycodone were increased.

So I'd suggest taking the doses that are offered, and as it rises see how you feel, cos that's the bottom line isn't it, how comfortable you feel, and how manageable your life is? You'll know when you're at the correct dosage for you, cos you'll have no WD symptoms, and you'll feel stable on your dose. As for how often you should take it, again in the UK it's given as one daily dose, which seems to work due to the long half life of this drug.

When I was prescribed methadone I've actually missed a daily dose, and not even noticed it. This is why methadone is perfect for anyone who is looking to stabilise and perhaps quit opiates in the future, cos it holds you on one dose a day. And it enables you to sort out any problems you may have without having to run your ass off to score, or take multiple doses of another prescribed opiate. One dose and that's it, you get on with your day.

If you are looking to eventually quit I suggest thinking about why you needed to use an opiate in the first place, cos usually when people just put down a drug and don't deal with the reasons they became addicted, they usually end up relapsing. So it's important to plan your quitting, make sure you have enough support systems in place, kinda like safety nets to catch you when you fall. I say when, cos we all fall, but that doesn't mean we can't pick ourselves back up, without actually using.

If you intend to stay on methadone long term then I also suggest staying away from other users, as you might be tempted, cos methadone doesn't produce that euphoric high that most other opiates do, it just kinda mellows you out and stops you from getting WD symptoms. Lots of people are surprised and miss the high. That's when you need to keep yourself safe. It's also good to get rid of all dealers numbers too.

Try to get into a lifestyle that enables you to deal with any problems you may have. I found it excellent for this. Cos I had emotional problems that needed to be dealt with, and on methadone my life became stable enough for me to do this. That meant that the reasons I'd used opiates in the first place were no longer present when I quit methadone. That gave me a much better chance of staying clean, cos there were less pressures.

Hope this helped a little. If there's anything else you need to know please, don't be afraid to ask. You can always PM me, and if I can, I'll be more than happy to help.

Sparkles.

Last edited by missparkles; 18-07-2010 at 07:02. Reason: A gorilla bit me on the ass and it made me miss out a word. ;-)
Old 18-07-2010, 09:51
Banned

44 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Dickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,375, Level: 12 Points: 7,375, Level: 12 Points: 7,375, Level: 12
Re: What methadone dose is equivalent to 90-120mgs oxycodone? How often should I dose

I'd say you'd be looking at somewhere between 30-50mg methadone a day (although a quick search provides equianalgesic doses of significantly less, i.e. 10-40mg being equivalent to 120mg oxycodone. However, the idea of 10mg of methadone being equivalent to 120mg oxycodone in these circumstances is barking mad if you ask me).

As for dosing daily or twice daily, for most people dosing once is more than sufficient. It depends on how you metabolise methadone. If when you dose once daily you find yourself strongly affected initially but starting to go into withdrawals before you take a dose then you might be a "fast metaboliser" and twice daily dosing might be the best way to go. Normally though, once a day dosing is adequate.

All the best

Dickon
Old 18-07-2010, 12:05
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

34 y/o Male from Earth
h2uk is captain of the psychonauts.h2uk is captain of the psychonauts.
Re: What methadone dose is equivalent to 90-120mgs oxycodone? How often should I dose

Remember to check whether the methadone linctus is 5mg per ml cherry like in USA or the green 1mg per ml UK stuff to ensure correct dosing quantity. There are also other available methadone quantities likel 10mg per ml blue/yellow? linctus, as well as ampoules for injection and methadone/physeptone tablets.

Is swim trying to get off a oxy habit by themself using methadone to taper or part of an official maintenance program?
Old 18-07-2010, 13:23
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,079, Level: 15 Points: 11,079, Level: 15 Points: 11,079, Level: 15
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

methadone in US clinics is 1mg/1ml, not 5mg per ml.

Just to clarify

~Kailey

Post Quality Evaluations:
a Life-Saving Point
Old 18-07-2010, 13:53
Palladium Member

Male from Japan
Spucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline Medline
Points: 4,534, Level: 9 Points: 4,534, Level: 9 Points: 4,534, Level: 9
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
AW: Re: What methadone dose is equivalent to 90-120mgs oxycodone? How often should I

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailey_elise View Post
methadone in US clinics is 1mg/1ml, not 5mg per ml.

Just to clarify

~Kailey
This is very important

i want to add this:
Methadone and Other Opioids Not Always
Equivalent,
Conversion Can Be Lethal!

In a comprehensive literature review of poisoning deaths involving opioids from 1999 – 2009, the deaths involving methadone were found to be disproportionately high.
(Edit by me: to get a inside-view via the „GAO-Report“ in the Documents)

Methadone represented less than five percent of all opioid prescriptions but is responsible for a third of the deaths. After four years of investigation, the major underlying cause was found to be fundamental misunderstandings about the properties of the medicine — a „knowledge deficit“ — especially when converting patients from other opioids.
After a rapid increase of opioid-related deaths was reported in Utah, then president of the Utah Academy of Pain Medicine, Dr. Lynn Webster decided to find out why, and then find a solution. By reviewing state and federal sources as well as PubMed, he was able to assess demographics, prevalence, and other risk factors related to this significant increase in poisoning deaths involving opioids.

Webster found that methadone deaths had more to do with misunderstandings about when to prescribe it, how to convert patients to it from other pain medicines, and how to inform patients about its risks. The research also showed that one-third of the deaths occurred within five days after a dosage change — also suggesting that unfamiliarity with the medicine could lead to accidental deaths.

Webster then brought this information to a consensus conference sponsored by the LifeSource Foundation where a panel of colleagues helped him determine root causes of the problem. After reviewing and discussing the data, the panel identified the following as probable causes underlying the spike: physician error due to knowledge deficits, patient non-adherence to medication regimen, unanticipated medical and psychiatric co-morbidities (including substance abuse), and payer policies that mandate methadone as a first-line coverage.

„Not all pain medicines — even within a class — and not all patients — are created equally,“ said Dr. Webster. „Methadone is a safe and effective opioid with pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics unlike other opioids, so knowledge about it and how it may affect a specific patient is paramount to a positive clinical outcome. Education about pain medicine is the best safeguard against the unintended deaths and side effects we’ve seen with methadone in the last decade.“

According to Webster, simple conversion from one opioid twice a day to another twice a day is not safe. Patient pharmacogenetics (a patient’s unique response to medicine based on his or her genetics), especially when converting between opioids, along with the properties of the medicine, must be taken under advisement to determine appropriate therapy.

In addition, he advises that switching a patient to methadone must be done slowly and over time: start with a low dose, and titrate from there in increments that make sense for the patient and the pain condition.
Source: PRNewswire.com — February 4, 2010

that's some great & life-saving info! thanks for sharing this article
Old 18-07-2010, 14:02
Platinum Member & Advisor

Female from United Kingdom
missparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 14,963, Level: 17 Points: 14,963, Level: 17 Points: 14,963, Level: 17
Activity: 16.4% Activity: 16.4% Activity: 16.4%

Apologies beforehand as this is slightly off topic, but I just wanted to clarify the two different names methadone is known as, informally.

Usually drug clinics in the UK and the US don't offer the 5ml/2mg methadone, it's usually always 1ml/1mlg. But just to clarify as I hear lots of methadone users here in the UK say "I'm gonna get my linctus" it's not, it's mixture. The 5ml/2mg linctus is usually used as a cough suppressant in end stage cancer care or chronic lung conditions where a cough is troublesome.

I went to a doc in the early 80s and managed to get him to prescribe methadone, and not having done my usual thorough research (and having listened to others) I stupidly asked for some "linctus." I ended up with the 5mls/2mg methadone. When I complained to the doc he told me he gave me just what I asked for, and if I wanted the 1ml/1mg methadone I shouldn't have said I wanted linctus. Actually, now I come to think of it, it wasn't green as I expected but a light brown. That should have given me a hint shouldn't it?

So just for the sake of accuracy, methadone mixture is 1ml/1mg, methadone linctus is 5mls/2mg.

BNF (British National Formulary) verified.

Sparkles.

very helpful info!
Old 19-07-2010, 17:10
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,079, Level: 15 Points: 11,079, Level: 15 Points: 11,079, Level: 15
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%
Re: AW: Re: What methadone dose is equivalent to 90-120mgs oxycodone? How often shoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spucky View Post
According to Dr. Lynn Webster, simple conversion from one opioid twice a day to another twice a day is not safe. Patient pharmacogenetics (a patient’s unique response to medicine based on his or her genetics), especially when converting between opioids, along with the properties of the medicine, must be taken under advisement to determine appropriate therapy.

In addition, he advises that switching a patient to methadone must be done slowly and over time: start with a low dose, and titrate from there in increments that make sense for the patient and the pain condition.
Very important points to emphasize:

simple conversion from one opioid twice a day to another twice a day is not safe

*and*

switching a patient to methadone must be done slowly and over time: start with a low dose, and titrate from there in increments

The amount any person/patient takes isn't dependent upon how much of X, Y, or Z opioid s/he was taking previously, but moreso upon how s/he metabolises methadone. Obviously, tolerance plays into it, but it's different for everyone; for example, just because you & I have done the same drug, in the same amount, for the same amount of time, doesn't mean we would both require the same amount of methadone upon stopping the other drug.

Always start small; I know a local detox starts clients at 5mg, and goes up 5mg every 4 hours the first day (to a max of 30mg), to assess on Day 1. Then they'd give the client 15mg 2x/day the next day.

Be very careful. Methadone can take up to 2 hours to kick in fully, and there's generally no 'euphoria', esp not in the way someone used to oxycodone or heroin is used to.

~Kailey

good info, the metabolism is always very different!
Old 20-07-2010, 10:01
R.I.P.

31 y/o Male from United States
dyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 8,663, Level: 13 Points: 8,663, Level: 13 Points: 8,663, Level: 13
Activity: 11.0% Activity: 11.0% Activity: 11.0%

To directly answer the OP's question:

In SWIM's heroin math, that's roughly equivalent to 1, 1.5, maybe 2 (if crappy) bags a day.

SWIM would say you should start at 10 mls. He would guess this would probably hold you. SWIM definitely would not go over 20 mls. 20 mls might be too much even.

Once a day.
Old 22-07-2010, 13:19

59 y/o Female from United States
Rorer714 should review received reputation comments.
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1

I have been an opiate addict since I was 14 years old, started with dihydrocodeine and ended with heroin. I don't know who CAT is, but I am hoping you convince him/her to go to a methadone clinic..There is no right or wrong dose, the right dose is what makes the patient comfortable, have no cravings and just feel normal again..Let me say that when I walked into methadone for the last time on Jan 31, 2001, I was eating 40 norco's a day and shooting 2 grams of tar..I am 5'3" and weighed 123 pounds, people used to say that they would OD on my cottons..I started a 21 day detox but 2 days later I went into maintenance. I have been on maintenance since Feb 2, 2001 and I haven't used nor wanted to use heroin since July 1, 2002 when I finally got honest about using and the doctor worked with me to get me stable..I have been on 160mg since May of 2008 and it works for me. My husband used as much as I did and he is tapering and now on 36mg. See, it varies from person to person..He wants to taper off, but I will be on methadone until they find a cure for heroin addiction, I am 55 years old have Hep C and I just can't kick and WD's would make me kill myself or someone else..Most people will taper and stay off of opiates, I am the small percentage that is too fvcked up in the head to get off. PAWS stayed with me for years, I just can't funtion W/O opiates..I don't know your age, but I hope you can get off one day and if you do it SLOWLY it will work.. I am not the one to tell you how much methadone your CAT needs, only you and your clinic doctor can make that decision..I wish you luck, this diease sucks....Don't stop posting, ok??

Rorer 714

Please go back and re-read the rules on self incrimination.
Old 22-02-2012, 21:02

40 y/o Male from United Kingdom
oasisscott is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

to Rorer174.....hearing you say that you will be a maintenance script for the rest of your life is so sad......I bet if i got you and locked you in a room with just a mattress and toilet etc and you had food water etc I bet you after a month you would be over your withdrawals they are after all not life threatening but I know that is easy to say.....ive tried bareback(no meds-uk phrase) and it is hard. ive been on and off heroin now for the last 20 years.

Share this on:

Tags
clinics, dosage comparison, methadone, methadone dosage, methadone dose, norco, norcos, opiate, opioid, oxycodone, oxycodone dose, oxycontin, oxyneo, percocet, physeptone, taper

» New Threads
Lucky Australia, we still have the...
Last post by Cwb20022
6 Replies, 92 Views
Speed or ice?
Last post by secretsmoker92
0 Replies, 1 Views
Cocaine and benzodiazepines /...
Last post by Opiateboi
136 Replies, 129,869 Views
Kratom and skin pigmentation.
Last post by Dankfish