Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums > Antidepressants
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 16:23
Silver Member

29 y/o Female from Canada
Rin_Weh is captain of the psychonauts.Rin_Weh is captain of the psychonauts.Rin_Weh is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 456, Level: 3 Points: 456, Level: 3 Points: 456, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
They Gave my Cat Mirtazapine, Help.

My cat is a small-framed, calico female.
Her sister is small, her brothers are big, so this is her body type: small.
Excuse my time frames because my mind is a little messed up right now-sober, but messed up.

A couple weeks ago now I noticed she was "hiding" but at first I attributed it to the heat because when I gave the cats a treat of wet food or something, she'd still come out to eat so at this time, as far as her appetite was concerned, she was fine. Then I noticed she wasn't eating anymore.
I'd open something, she'd come, sniff, leave and eventually not come anymore.
After 3 days (yes, I know a cat that goes without food or water for 2 days will become sick but I wasn't aware she wasn't eating ANYTHING, I just knew she wasn't eating the wet food) I made a vet's appointment for her.

We brought her in.
Found out: after the last time she was in heat (her brothers are neutered mind you) her cervix or something didn't close up properly therefore leaving her uterus open and it became infected.
She needed to be spayed the next day and put on fluids for the night.
So she was.

So, time passes- after surgery and coming home.
She was eating a bit of tuna and a few peices of dry food here and there.
I gave her tuna because that's what she wanted to eat so, if that's what she wanted- eat! I gave her whatever she would eat because it was better than nothing.
She was drinking on her own.
Even a couple days after surgery she was already walking around, washing herself, purring, kneading, etc....she still wasn't eating as much as she used to but she was eating.
She meowed a lot but this could have been due to pain (she was given pain meds-tramadol and some antibiotics- bioclav) or being kept in the bedroom sometimes so I could monitor her food intake.

Anyhow, the vet wanted to see her back there about 3-4 days after surgery. They weighted her. She weighed in at 4 lbs.
Small yes, but she is already, although I agreed she needed to gain more because the shape of the body from an aerial standpoint wasn't back to normal.
So they said, we're going to put her on an appetite stimulant.
I said okay.
I didn't even think to ask what it was or anything, I just said "okay" because....

The next morning: vicious.
And this is coming from a cat who was overly affectionate, sometimes annoyingly so. Also, she was the stereotypical great jumper/climber/etc...more so than any of my other animals.
I left and called the vet's office.
The first question I asked them was "what medication did you administer to Emily yesterday?" Mirtazapine.

The viciousness went away and she was left completely disoriented (for lack of a better word but completely understates her contrast in mind/body).
I tried to stay positive telling myself if I knew what the appetite stimulant was, I would have said no, and then she wouldn't gain weight (I assumed) so maybe , even though this looks terrible now, maybe after the drug subsides it will be better.
She could not eat dry food although she tried with fury because she was hungry but was too stoned to grab it. She could not drink anymore.
She could not see well or turn around.
She could not back up or hold herself up well while walking.
She did walk and walk though and barely slept, if slept at all.
She would walk into things and through things. She would walk into a wall and stare, etc...
Terrible shit to watch.

6 days later:
She is eating wet food but has a hard time holding herself up to eat it sometimes so I'll reposition her arms and legs for her.
She was eating wet food before they gave her the medication.
She cannot eat dry food well although she tries but often just walks through the dish or falls into it.
She does not drink on her own, I have to add water to her food and also force feed her water.
She sleeps more now but is tight, muscle twitching beyond normal cat-dreaming muscle movements. She is tight while she does it and it reminds me of when I'm on too many meds and when one relaxes into bed, the muscle twitching begins.
She still takes time to see properly it seems.
She still has trouble turning around or backing up.
She goes beside the litter box as opposed to in it.
She is better than she was 6 days ago but it seems is on and off with symptoms. One day she can seem more spry and the next as if she's gone backwards again.
She sometimes still stops at walls but that has gotten better.
She still loses her footing quite often.
She does not wash herself or purr.
She still seems quite disoriented.

I called the vet's today and she said it's unlikely the mirtazapine and could be something else wrong.
I told her no, it is the mirtazapine because she was not like this in ANY way before or after surgery and this only began after she was given the drug.
I asked her how much she was given. She said, a quarter of a tablet.
I said, how many mg's is that and she said well, I'd have to go and check the bottle.
I said, okay.
She came back with 3 mg's.
So...whether that's true or not, who knows because obviously they don't even want to admit the mirtazapine is having a terrible fucking effect on my precious animal.
But 3 mg's could very well likely be the truth.
A human being is often started on doses ranging from 7.5 mg's -15mg.
So- 3 mg's to a 4lb cat.
Anyone want to do the math for me? How many mg's appr. would that work out to for an average weight human.
Yeah, I thought I'd whip out paper and it would be easy so perhaps I've killed some brain cells because I was left staring.

So first off- I never would have agreed to her being given this crap had I of known. After surgery she was doing pretty damn well for it being JUST AFTER SURGERY compared to -this-.

So, why hasn't the drug left her system yet or did they screw something up for good.
Please- any comments, advice, thoughts, facts would be welcomed. I'm stressed out and watching my baby like this is not something anyone should have to watch.
She doesn't deserve this.

So- 3mg of mirtazapine to 4 pounds? Seems like a lot now that I know the starting dose on an adult human.
So let's say the adult human was 115lbs.
3mg to 4 lbs for a feline is the equivalent to the human's dose being ___________.
I feel so stupid, my brain goes blank.
Plus one has to take into account the different enzymes in each species.

And anything else anyone would like to say, ask or add.
To be repetitive-
She is better than 6 or 5 days ago BUT should AT LEAST be able to walk normally by now I would think.
She is on and off getting better.
If she never had the damn drug given to her, she would have been more or less back to normal her by now.
She was already on her way- I hope more than anything still is but I'm open to hearing the good and bad anyone might have to say. Need to know.
Thanks.

Long, "hard to follow" post!

Last edited by Rin_Weh; 10-07-2010 at 14:55.
Old 14-07-2010, 21:07
Gold Member

31 y/o Male from United States
Jasim must mainline MedlineJasim must mainline MedlineJasim must mainline MedlineJasim must mainline MedlineJasim must mainline MedlineJasim must mainline MedlineJasim must mainline MedlineJasim must mainline MedlineJasim must mainline MedlineJasim must mainline MedlineJasim must mainline Medline
Points: 4,651, Level: 10 Points: 4,651, Level: 10 Points: 4,651, Level: 10
Re: They Gave my Cat Mirtazapine, Help.

If we assume a human of 115lbs with a starting dose of 7.5mg, an equivalent dose for a 4lbs animal would be around 0.26mg. So, 3mg for a 4lbs animal would be equivalent to giving a 115lbs human around 86mg. I hope your cat is okay. A week isn't that long, maybe she will make a full recovery if given more time.
Old 15-07-2010, 10:22
Silver Member

Rin_Weh is captain of the psychonauts.Rin_Weh is captain of the psychonauts.Rin_Weh is captain of the psychonauts.

I have a long post to write in response but I'm exhausted and this is my third attempt at writing so I'll get back to this thread shortly.
It will be a long post.

She IS getting much better now but there is a lot of crap I need to say about the situation at the vet's office the other day.

I'll flesh it out after much needed sleep.

-ttys
Old 18-07-2010, 13:00
Titanium Member

Female from Canada
Canmedaa must live here.Canmedaa must live here.Canmedaa must live here.Canmedaa must live here.Canmedaa must live here.Canmedaa must live here.Canmedaa must live here.
Points: 934, Level: 4 Points: 934, Level: 4 Points: 934, Level: 4

A good friend of SWIM is a veterinarian and she has often pointed out to me that the metabolisms of different species are not the same and thus drugs and food do not act the same when ingested by these species.

While veterinarians do use a variety of drugs on their patients that are also used on humans SWIM would suggest that SWIY consult a verterinary compendium of pharmasceuticals and see if this medication is even indicated in the feline species. If it is, perhaps this will offer SWIY some reassurance and guidance, if its not...perhaps it will offer SWIY potential for a law-suit.

The Merk Veterinary Manual may be helpful, SWIY can access an online version of this reference text online at http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp. SWIM's veterinarian friend may have more to add and SWIM will forward SWIY's post to her and get back here to post her response.

In the mean time, SWIM sincerely hopes SWIY's kitty feels better soon. SWIM has a kitty too and feels deeply for them.

Best of Luck,
-CAN

P.S. SWIY has composed an excellent history of SWIY's kitty. Very good job.

Last edited by Canmedaa; 18-07-2010 at 13:02. Reason: postscript added.
Old 18-07-2010, 13:50
Silver Member

I don't want to type out a long post right now,again,so I'll let you al briefly know what we think happened.
We think since she was given so much it gave her serotonin syndrome.
I took her back to the hospital and after arguing with the doctor who said she doubts it's the drug making my cat so abnormal she finally researched it and found out there's a huge chance it was serotonin syndrome.
She didn't know anything about the drug of it's potential risks/side effects/etc...if as a doctor you don't know about the medication you're dispensing, don't give it out.
She said well we've never seen this before, it's very rare (whereas in on Google search I can find both successful and bad cases quite easily).

When Emily was first being weird, we did think serotonin syndrome but reading that Mirtazapine is a tricyclic antidepressant and has a low risk factor for it (and at first I didn't know she was overdosed, I thought it was just the drug itself) I forgot about the serotonin syndrome possibility.

But yeah, I had to argue with her for her to even consider it was the drug they gave her that made her begin to act very bizarre.
Then after much arguing, she came back in an apologized saying this never happens.
(Again, it happens often enough, I've read other experiences from pet owners)
So, really, she had no clue what do do or what serotonin syndrome even was until she went to research it.
They recommended a tiny dose of an antihistamine (which I was hesitant on because I didn't want her on ANY more drugs but decided on yes, but ONLY a very, very low dose, it was to help with the serotonin syndrome.
Then we gave her water shots (under the skin) to help with her getting the toxins out quicker through going to the washroom more often (I think before she was too high to do it very often).
The next day after she got the fluids, she was shitting and pissing EVERYWHERE (tried to in litter box but since she still had no balance because the antihistamine also made her seem stoned again- she would get it all over her fur and the house).
After a few days of going to the washroom a lot more, she is getting better.
She still isn't her self entirely and she still gets a little disoriented sometimes, but that's improving too.

The antihistamine (although I realize can be used to help with many adverse reactions to other drugs) didn't do a thing but make her more high for a bit. I hated myself all over again that I let them put another drug in her when an excessive amount of water and time would have worked.

Time would have worked in the first place after surgery anyhow regarding her eating. She didn't need Mirtazapine in the first place nor would I have let them give it to her had they of told me what it was.

Yes, I realize humans and felines have different liver processing systems or something with enzymes but still, it's a human drug that even on people if overdosed, can mess one up.
She said Oh yeah but we use it as an appetite stimulant- I said- yeah, but appetite stimulation is the side effect of an antidepressant sometimes. It doesn't matter what you're using it for, it's the same drug.
Especially that many mg's for such a small cat,.....you would think a veterinarian would know something about the drugs they use and the possible risks.
I have more to say and there's more detail but It's 9am and I just saw Bruce Cockburn last night and I'm exhausted.

Thank you guys for your help.
Emily is getting better, not quite the same as usual yet but I definately am not worried about her dying or having seizures or anything anymore.
She's doing okay, she'll be okay.

They shouldn't be putting these drugs into animals to begin with (even though there are some good outcome stories out there) when there are so many appetite stimulation alternatives.
Plus, she was eating after surgery, just slowly, working her way back up to normal.
Before surgery she ate nothing at all.
So they made her life confusing as hell for no good reason.

I still can't believe she didn't know about the risks or anything.
And I had to tell her to MAKE SURE it was SMALL SMALL dose of antihistamine because in large doses like they like to give my cat) it would not help with the serotonin syndrome. I don;t think the small dose did either.
I think it was the massive amount of water injected into her that made her begin to get better again. All those toxins weren't being released very much before the water shots.
I could have written this out more in order and more detail because there is more but my eyes are stinging.

Thanks for your help guys.
She's getting better.
Old 18-07-2010, 14:00
Palladium Member

Male from United States
fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.
Points: 1,646, Level: 6 Points: 1,646, Level: 6 Points: 1,646, Level: 6

Humans are abused and pumped full of nasty pharms like this often, and with little to no logical reason.

What the fuck is your crackhead vet thinking?! They clearly never ate the stuff themselves.

Omgz tho I would totally taper and get the cat off ASAP safely. Poor cat sounds absolutely psyched out all day from the description of a mind-blowing dose of that stuff.

Srsly, that's some fucked up shit. I cannot believe the vet industry is so owned by pharma they now pump this horribly filthy class of psychtropic into housepets now. Since when does a side effect make something worth a main medication? Oh wait, pharma does that all the time. Launch something for one purpose, find out it does something else, and sell it for BOTH THINGS, even with a nightmarish side effect profile, even with cheaper, more effective, efficient stuff around.

Dude, I get more upset yearly with these "doctors", do these people even learn a LITTLE anymore in school or do they just make them show up? I mean, I met 10+ doctors never touched a PDR and were talking about shit like it was the fucking 80's, just like their textbooks, ha.

Best luck to cat! Cannabis is a great appetite stimulant for cats. Completely harmless other than combustion/smoke issues. Shit, Swim's cat will eat live cannabis plants.

TRAMADOL AND MIRTAZIPINE CANNOT BE MIXED DUE TO SEROTONIN SYNDROME RISK

SUE SUE SUE!!!!
Old 19-07-2010, 02:50
Titanium Member

Female from Canada
Canmedaa must live here.Canmedaa must live here.Canmedaa must live here.Canmedaa must live here.Canmedaa must live here.Canmedaa must live here.Canmedaa must live here.

As I said above I would forward the OP to my friend who is a Veterinary Physician. This was her response:

Mirtazapine was developed for human use as an antidepressant (but does
have antihistamine qualities but is not a individual antihistamine
like ciproheptadine) for moderate to severe depression. It is not a
tricyclic antidepressant like clomipramine or amitriptyline but is
actually a member of the “tetracyclic” class, because it has four
chemical rings, rather than three, in its structure. Mirtazapine acts
to increase norepinephrine and serotonin in the brain, though there is
some question as to how this is actually accomplished. Norepinephrine
is a stimulating neurotransmitter and serotonin is a neurotransmitter
associated with relaxation and comfort, thus increasing the brain
levels of these substances could be very helpful in treating
depression.

While there is certainly a call for anti-anxiety medications in
veterinary medicine, it is generally its side effects which make
mirtazapine such a desirable medication for animals. Mirtazapine has
strong anti-nauseal properties by acting on the neuroreceptors in the
intestine and stomach that communicate with the vomit center of the
brain. It also acts as a strong appetite stimulant. Obviously, a
medication that addresses both nausea and appetite loss is boon to the
treatment of many medical conditions. Apparently mirtazpine increases
central nervous system serotonin but antagonizes serotonin-activity in
the gastro-intestinal tract which is how it exerts the effects that we
like.

A typical dose for cats is ¼ tablet of a 15mg tablet two times weekly,
coming out to a poorly cut 3.75mg cut dose (aforementioned
ciproheptadine is ¼ tabled every other day to once daily). Side
effects have not been seen when taking larger then recommended dose of
mirtazapine in humans and I could not find anything recorded with
animals.

From personal experience I have seen cats do amazingly well on this
medication; However, as with any medication (especially those that
‘speed’ up the body – think human panic attack because of benadryl,
rare bur it happens) there is always a chance it can have some type of
behavioral side effect. Typically any behavioral side effects will
lesson if not completely go away once the drug has finished being
processed by the body (in this case two to three days). Because of the
duration of notable side effects in your cat, I think, that is why
your Veterinarian does not think it is caused by the medication. From
a biological aspect I would agree, (and another) however, cats are
known to be emotional creatures, even having such emotions or ‘hard
times’ taking a physical toll on the animal – thus calling for a
separate idea of internal medicine when it comes to the feline.

In a nut shell, I think you cat will be normal in time and do not
think she was overdosed as much as having had a horrible reaction to
the medication that is rare but unfortunately happens. I personally
would be very cautious when using any type of stimulate with this
particular kitty, including ciproheptadine, if her appetite does not
improve (if ever needed note that you can use a small dose of valium
to make a cat want to eat). Your Veterinarian is right when mentioning
that something else could be going on and it’s not just a side effect
– she could have had a mild stroke or thrombus around the same time
which would be an odd but not impossible coincidence that would
explain her symptoms."

Regards,
-CAN

Post Quality Evaluations:
Please don't copy/paste material without citing the source. This is taken word-for-word from another site.
Old 19-07-2010, 06:03
Silver Member

I'll explain in the PM later to SWIY (SWIY knows who I'm talking to) and I'll explain to the rest of you guys in the thread after some much needed sleep.
I need time to gather my thoughts, as I've been talking to everyone about this for a few weeks now- maybe- where does time go, I'm exhausted.
I will write something out in PM and to the rest of you to better explain.
Just give me some time.
I want to respond now but the response needs to be concise.
I will come back when I'm rested enough to write out a linear time line of events.
And also, I want it to be written clearly so that if anyone else comes across any issue similar to this, they're not reading exhausted, unclear writing.

She is getting better though, still not the same but getting much better.
I'll let you all know that right now so all you animal lovers won't fret (incase) but I'll explain the story in detail when I can get my thoughts organized. It's been a stressful couple months, first- something else unrelated, then this, so I'm now thoroughly exhausted.
Again, I will give you an informative post soon.

I'm sorry, I just need time.
Old 19-07-2010, 09:18
Palladium Member

Male from United States
fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.

How does valium improve appetite in animals? lolwut

And just curious, I am well aware humans and animals have different response profiles to the same substances, but how would mirtazipine act as appetite stim and anti nauseal on pets but do exact opposite as side effects in humans? It just does not seem to add up here. Is mechanism of action that different for felines?

Last edited by fiveleggedrat; 19-07-2010 at 09:25.
Old 19-07-2010, 10:12
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Male from United Kingdom
Micklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 6,283, Level: 11 Points: 6,283, Level: 11 Points: 6,283, Level: 11
Activity: 4.7% Activity: 4.7% Activity: 4.7%

Appetite swtimulation, especially at lower doses, is a well known and often sought side effect of mirtazepine in humans, Likewise it's anti nausea qualities. A quick web search shows that it is quite commonly used in the veterinary world also. Unfortunately there seems to be a huge variation in the doses given, & a lot of similar experiences to Rin_Weh's.

Nausea and gastric disturbances are listed as a side effect on virtually every medication you could think of for humans.

From http://www.medic8.com/medicines/Mirtazapine.html

Quote:
[h2]Side effects[/h2]
Interestingly, its side effect profile can be used for benefit in certain clinical situations. The drowsiness, increased appetite, and weight gain it causes are useful in patients with depressive disorders with prominent sleep and appetite disturbances. In addition, it is quite useful in inpatient situations in which patients suffer from nausea since it also antagonizes the 5-HT3 receptor, the target of the popular anti-emetic ondansetron (Zofran®).
Rin, very glad your puss is on the mend!
Old 21-07-2010, 02:01
Banned

27 y/o Male from United States
Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.

I don't really know about the brains of cats, but as a mammal it has a serotonin based brain. Mirtazapine doesn't cause serotonin syndrome in humans, as it is a 5-HT receptor antagonist, and can even be used to treat serotonin syndrome. One common side effect is aggression, which SWIM has experienced personally. Who knows?
Old 22-07-2010, 19:19
Silver Member

It's one of the lowest risk antidepressants (in humans anyhow) for serotonin syndrome, as far as I kow. I've never been on a tricyclic antidepressant but have read they are lower in risk, unless one, of course, is overdosed.
Now I don't even know if serotonin syndrome is what happened to her.
That's all the doctor could come up with after I argued with he for awhile that it was only when THIS drug was given to her, she changed.
She said, oh well maybe it's neurological
You think??
-----------I didn't mention in my last post that the reason I rushed her back to the doctor's even though I was waiting for her appointment within the couple days anyhow was because although she was going up and down (getting better, then sliding back) I found her where she sleeps, wide awake with her head shaking back and forth. It was the scariest, fucked up thing I'ds ever seen because she's my kid. Rushed her to the hospital and THEN is when I argued in person with the doctor and not over the phone with the nurses waiting a week before the appointment.-------------

So anyhow, I didn;t know if the head shaking was seizure, withdrawals, massive muscle twitching from overdose (mind you this was 9 days later I think)
and neither did the doctor.
The doctor didn't even know about the side effects/risks/rare risks of the medication until I kept up arguing it was the drug.
As I've said, the doctor came back in saying "I'm sorry, we've never seen this so didn't know it could happen"
(I think as a doctor who regularily administers a drug should at least know the risks EVEN if they've never seen them before- also considering it's all over the internet literature for positive and negative experiences).
First we test on animals, then we test on humans, then we distribute to humans , then we distribute to animals and it's all experimentation,eh?
Anyhow- The stuff they gave her as an antidote (which I hated myself for agreeing to, another med- only made her stoned again, it kept her awake and more disorented,again- at this point I beyond hated myself).
What *I* still firmly believed helped her was the excessive fluids injection and time.
She was able to go to the washroom more, get rid of the waste in her body and her brain had time to withdrawal.

How is she doing now?
She uses the litter box (inside the box), she washes herself, she purrs (not as much as she used to but it will come back), she still cannot jump but she can back up and turn around again( sometimes it seems a little difficult but she does it), she is walking normally now.
I think she has trouble seeing sometimes but I also know she can see.
She eats plenty (as she would of anyhow, AGAIN, she only stopped because of the infection, hence surgery to begin with).
I still know she's not the same.
I do know she's improved beyond whatever the hell that was.
I am hoping for a full recovery.
I would like to see her jump and run and knead my stomach again,etc....
She's doing much, much better though.
I wanted ya'll to know that.
Not quite herself but far,far away from the point where you're wondering you've suddenly got a severely, permanently handicapped child.

It pisses me off that the whole time I would call into the office complaining about this and that, they humoured me by listening because *they* had never seen this before.
Not one person working there looked it up, not one professional who went to medical school there knew the risks, not one person believed a damn word I said until I brought her into the hospital with a shaking head, and even after that, no one believed me until they went and did some research.

I am forever grateful she is getting better, but I am grateful for the surgery that helped her, and the water that eventually helped get the shit they put into her 5 days after surgery (when she was doing fine just not eating AS MUCH as they wanted her to -FAST ENOUGH) .
I am not grateful to the hospital I took her to, the doctors who worked with the issue nor the nurses.
I should have taken her to the same hospital I took my boys to, where they discuss with you everything they're doing and discuss things at length and would have listened to me had I of called them.
I hate myself for all the bad choices I made for her as a mother.
The doctors were highly irresponsible for not even knowing much about this drug they say they use all the time.
She had to do a print off from the net so she could read to me what it said about the medications.

Okay, why do I ALWAYS write my posts before coffee.
I'm rambly as usual.
Anyhow, Emily is getting better.
That's what is important.

The doctors at the hospital's name I won't say, pitiful.

I'm switching back to the hospital all my boys went to.
I hope Emily will be the same again as she was before and would have been had it not been for this drug.
She's doing so, so much better.
Now what's left is time.
She'll recover completely.

Thanks guys.

And yes, from the sheet they gave me with lists of drugs (after all this) they use on animals regularily included Effexor, Valium, all that shit.
Can you believe it?
Wow.
I felt like I was watching an animal experimentation video live on my own child.

Sidenote: if a cat pees around the house, instead of figuring out why- perhaps kidney problems, or territorial issues, or enviromental boredom, etc....problems with litter box (some cats are picky) some vet's and owners just say either well put them on *this* permanently to stop the problem or put them down.

When I told her, I can't believe pet owners put their animals on this crap regularily, that's when she told me people use it on their animals to stop certain behaviours or put the down.
I say, look at other possible solutions for your animals troubles first.
Same as in people.
But no, it's always right to the pill isn't it?
I have so much anger inside I could go on and on.
But any of you who've read my posts before are used to me rambling and repeating so I'm sure you'll excuse it.
I'll stop here, for now.
There should be a sub-forum somewhere for animals and medications that way someone who goes looking for more information will have some extra advice.
Although there is plenty out there, and the doctor should have known about Mirtazapine's risks in the first place.

And they say they use is often on "depressed" animals (mine was used for an appetite stimulant but whatever-same drug)
but no wonder some animals become depressed, look at their lives.
If we let them outside, they get smucked by our one million fucking roads, if they are kept inside, they live day in/day out in walls.
So, if they see many behavioural issues in animals (which could be caused by many medical isues (ie: peeing-kidney issues) that should be considered FIRST before drugs,
then you'd think she would have known what serotonin syndrome was too.

I know my posts are always confusing and jumping all over the place. Ugh.
Anyhow, my anger is toward that hospital.
My happiness is that she's getting better.
My head says I need more coffee and I should stop typing now.

Last edited by Rin_Weh; 22-07-2010 at 19:22. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 22-07-2010, 23:34
Palladium Member

Male from United States

OP Said

""She meowed a lot but this could have been due to pain (she was given pain meds-tramadol and some antibiotics)""

If cat was on mirtazipine, a tetracyclic and then tramadol, which also acts as an SSRI/SNRI, serotonin syndrome could have been what happened, and more than once.

Second, coming off either tramadol or mirtazipine after taking them for more than 5-7 days 24/7 is going to cause some type of withdrawal syndrome, and for SSRI's, they can be very serious/toxic, including seizures. Longer they were on the meds and higher dose the more serious the effects.

Edited: Initial font size was to make sure it was read. It was, and now it's small again. Second, edited for errors. Misinfo.

Font is OTT, and detracts from your post

Last edited by fiveleggedrat; 26-07-2010 at 03:41.
Old 23-07-2010, 05:14
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Male from United Kingdom
Micklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 6,283, Level: 11 Points: 6,283, Level: 11 Points: 6,283, Level: 11
Activity: 4.7% Activity: 4.7% Activity: 4.7%

Mirtazepone is not a SSRI, it is a novel tetra-cyclic antidepressant, unrelated to any other. However, it is definitely possible for an adverse effect like serotonin syndrome to occur when the 2 are combined.

Thank you for correction.
Old 23-07-2010, 06:46
Silver Member

Actually I'm glad you brought that to mind because yes, after surgery she was put on Tramadol for pain and Bioclav (tech?) for an antibiotic. She was fine on these.
She was on tramadol and Mitazapine at the same time for 2 days.

By the time her pain meds ran out, she was put on the Mirtazapine.
So yes, combinations cause heavy reactions but seeing as the Tramadol did not effect her in any psychological malfunctioning way after surgery and only helped her pain, it was the heavy dose of Mirtazapine that caused her to become _________.

It may have not been Serotonin syndrome, it may have been an overdose (minus serotonin syndrome), enzymes in the liver for different species.
Who knows....
But, everything occured after the mirtazapine which was a dose meant to last 3-5 days, more than a starter dose for people who put their pets on this shit everyday : overdose.

I've nothing more to say on the subject rather than if you inject a drug into someone or yourself, know what the risks are. If you're a fucking doctor, listen.
I think I'm done talking about it now.

What helped her was the initial surgery,the excessive fluid injection after days and days of being high from the unnecessary drug and dose so she could flush out and time to get sober.
She is getting better and will continue to do .

Last edited by Rin_Weh; 23-07-2010 at 07:00.
Old 28-07-2010, 10:11
Titanium Member

Female from Canada

This is just in response to the comment attached to my second post in this thread. What I posted was copied from my personal email which was a response from a personal friend who is a registered Veterinary Physician practicing in the United States. I did not cite the name of the physician for obvious reasons, however the name was supplied to the OP in private for his or her own verification given the nature of this site.

The OP's first post was forwarded as a casual consult which doesn't require the consulting professional to provide citations for the requesting party. If subsequent posters felt that this detracted from assisting the OP with her question, I offer my apologies.

Glad to hear the Kitty is getting better.

- CAN
Old 28-09-2010, 03:11
Gold Member

37 y/o Male from United States
nEone really knows their shit.nEone really knows their shit.nEone really knows their shit.nEone really knows their shit.nEone really knows their shit.nEone really knows their shit.nEone really knows their shit.nEone really knows their shit.nEone really knows their shit.
Points: 1,697, Level: 6 Points: 1,697, Level: 6 Points: 1,697, Level: 6

My cat's been on Mirtazipine as well.

She had lymphoma in her stomach and stopped eating. Initially, mirtazipine was used to stimulate her appetite. It cracked her out and was probably the scariest time in her entire treatment for us, because we'd clearly done something that made her feel worse, not better. But she also started eating again, and that helped her gain weight, and she's done wonderfully with the chemo rounds.

One round makes her nauseous, so in order to keep her weight up, we give her mirtazipine, and it works fine. She gets CRAZY hungry - but she doesn't vomit and it wears off in three days.

The first time, the dose we gave her was 1/4 of a 15mg tablet. I think it was A) too much for her specific system, and B) too much on a weakened system. Subsequent times, we have given her 1/8 of a pill and that seems to accomplish everything it's meant to accomplish.

It DOES take at least three days to wear off.

It's amazing how differently she responds to chemo than a person. I've seen people get chemo. It's not pretty. Cats, on the other hand, don't lose their hair, or bloat, or anything like that.

Thanks for getting the opinion of a Vet, Canmedaa. It's important to understand that cats aren't people, and that their bodies and brains process things differently than humans.
Old 10-11-2011, 19:55
Silver Member

..strongest little precious angel in the world.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:15

56 y/o Male from United States
dbw11112 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

My Vet recommended the same as an appetite enhancer and it had a complete opposite effect. My cat at the moment is around 12 lbs lost a lot of weight since he has been sick, normally he is around 16lbs not fat just big.
Anyway I gave him 1/4 of the pill as recommended and wow he had a huge side effects.
His heart beat went up, was not responsive, seemed week and depressed , I thought between him not eating and not pooing he was on his last days. He is sick , lost weight, not eating but his personality was good until I gave him the Pill and it did not help his appetite at all. It has been 30 hours since and he is acting better, still not eating so I am feeding him force feeding him, he is not throwing it up so I will continue.
As far as the pills F--k them, scared me and felt bad for the cat.
The problem I have been having with Prince is the following:

Prince is having poo problems & now appetite & weight problems
Prince was pooing out of his box , he was in pain so I put him on wet food, worked for 3 months then he started again so I took him to the doctor,The vet checked Prince out, each time he was not constipated , his stomach was empty, no mega colon, they put him on metronidazole and after a week he lost appetite, not sure why, took him back to the vet , did a whole bunch of tests , all came back fine, Vet continued to put him a a smaller dosage of metronidazole, He lost a lot of weight, has not gone to the bathroom for 3-4 days, I'm force feeding him now, he is okay with it for now, he is 11 years, he behaves okay. So far he has been keeping the food down and I also feed him water.
Doctor said could be cancer, I decided not to take the test since if he does have it I would not do anything anyway.
Any suggestions .
. Now I'm concerned about his not eating, From what I read metronidazole could have a side effect of loss of appetite, the Vet claims the dosage is to small to have an effect. At this point I'm taking him off to see what will happen

Prince the Wonder cat. he has a video.....youtube
Old 03-03-2013, 14:02
Titanium Member

41 y/o Female from United States
Frmrjunkie probably knows what they are talking about.Frmrjunkie probably knows what they are talking about.Frmrjunkie probably knows what they are talking about.Frmrjunkie probably knows what they are talking about.Frmrjunkie probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 858, Level: 4 Points: 858, Level: 4 Points: 858, Level: 4
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

How is your kitty doing?

Human medications don't always process the same in animals as people.

I AM a certified vet tech & have 3 years university UC Davis as a veterinarian.

Give her baby food. Not the shit mixed with vegetables, but pure meat protein. Also pick up kitten food; mix kitten food, water & dry together & let it sit until its nice & gooey. As for drinking, pick up some LOW SODIUM chicken broth; mix in 50/50 with water.

You can administer sub-q fluids to keep her kidneys moving. Inexperienced took pets to vet, but as I was a pet sitter my clients found it way more economical to have me do it. Less stress on kitty too as she could stay home instead of traveling to vet office. If you have pet sitters in your area, call & ask them. Of course you need supplies from vet or hospital - it's just a bag of saline & iv needle. Don't fret it's done in neck & animals have way less nerve receptors than humans.

DM me if I can help. Worked with animals for a dozen years

Share this on:

Tags
antibiotic, antidepressant, antihistamin, drug, drugs, mirtazapine, pain meds, stimulant, tetracyclic, tetracyclic antidepressant, tricyclic, tricyclic antidepressant, twitching