Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Methadone
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 18:07
Banned

92 y/o Male from United States
Tony Williams is on the way upTony Williams is on the way upTony Williams is on the way up
Why is Methadone, usually liquid??

Pure Methadone is white and crystally. Here in the UK we get 1ml/1mg green liquid. It's usually sugary too. So why is this?? To stop people injecting it, I guess?

As I see it in pills too, Methadose - what countries use this?

Also - what strengths in the UK (and anywhere else) do we get and colour didference, if any.

My friend said he saw 80mg/1ml or something mad, by mistake.
Old 04-07-2010, 21:15
Silver Member

37 y/o Male from United States
TarBaby is a decent psychonaut.TarBaby is a decent psychonaut.
Re: Why is Methadone, usually liquid??

it might have to do with illegal diversion of the pills, so using liqiud makes it harder swim thinks.
Old 05-07-2010, 15:29
Silver Member

24 y/o Male from United States
RoflFries is a decent psychonaut.RoflFries is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 264, Level: 2 Points: 264, Level: 2 Points: 264, Level: 2
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

Swim's pretty sure SwiTarbaby is right. It's pretty simple to hide a pill somewhere in ones mouth. A liquid makes it almost impossible to hide unless swim throws it up... doesn't seem to pleasant. Plus a lot of people have different doses so using a liquid makes it easier to manage someones dose instead of giving high dose patients a certain amount of pills or having to cut a pill for someone on a lower dose maybe? Dose control seems a lot easier in liquid form.
Old 05-07-2010, 15:45
Palladium Member

Male from Japan
Spucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline Medline
Points: 4,534, Level: 9 Points: 4,534, Level: 9 Points: 4,534, Level: 9
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
AW: Why is Methadone, usually liquid??

Yip, all this add. stuff is inside to prevent a IV-Application,
the Medicine is made more harmful by the People who create the Law!
In Germany they use also Viscose to made the IV. application more painful!

Methadone Pills are used in Germany and some other Country's,
ie. for the Holiday-Prescription!

The Color will not give us a Indication of the Potenz (at least in Europe)

80mg. in 1ml. imho. impossible!

Last edited by Spucky; 05-07-2010 at 15:57.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:20
Titanium Member

25 y/o Male from USA - Kentucky
Moving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond repute

In America, they have liquid methadone. What swim has seen most of though is pill for. Either 5 or 10 mg pills or 40 mg waffers.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:33
Silver Member

Male from United States
coolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,398, Level: 7 Points: 2,398, Level: 7 Points: 2,398, Level: 7
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingPictures View Post
In America, they have liquid methadone. What swim has seen most of though is pill for. Either 5 or 10 mg pills or 40 mg waffers.
those pill forms are typically applied in pain a management situation. drug users are given the liquid so they cant shoot it or sell it. an exception would be my (not swim) friend. he travels about 60 miles to a town a about an hour away from Minneapolis/ st paul. anyway because he lives so far away, they are going to make a special exception for him and give him methadone in pill form.

swim thought they had stopped making the wafes (40 mg methadone pills), are swiy still able to obtain then, jw, swim used to be able to swallow one in whole,lol, just curious
Old 07-07-2010, 15:59
Titanium Member

25 y/o Male from USA - Kentucky
Moving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond repute

Swim hasn't had waffers since 2006 when a friend of his got 100 of them every two weeks from a quack pain clinic. What swim has read now is that the waffers are only used for drug clinics. They can't be prescribed for pain anymore. I guess they think 40 mg is too much for one dose.

Swim used to take 2 and 3 of those fuckers. He got the orange ones that disolved in water. He'd disolve a few and make what he called "organge juice".

Swim knows the clinic by him gives the 5 and 10 mg methadose pills. He doesn't know about the waffers.

I've heard users in the UK can get injectable methadone. I think Dickon mentioned getting 50mg/ml ampules.
Old 09-07-2010, 20:28
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from United States
duhduhduhda is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 113, Level: 1 Points: 113, Level: 1 Points: 113, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

they used to give us wafers but they try to get you on the liquid now
to my understanding methadone works just as effectively and quickly orally as if you i.v'd it

in the united states and in my state they will give out the wafers but they give them to you in these little bottles
you would have to break the wafers apart to get them out of the bottles or cut the bottles
but you could only do this with your take-home doses because they watch you drink the shit at the clinic
and they make you return all of your bottles when you go to get your new batch of "take-homes"

swim remember the orange wafers too those things were awesome swim used to just fill his mouth up with water and then drop 2 of them in his mouth then just swish and gargle till dissolved
seems pretty stupid to do it that way looking back but that was years ago
Old 26-09-2010, 15:08
Palladium Member

Female from Earth
ex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 5,760, Level: 11 Points: 5,760, Level: 11 Points: 5,760, Level: 11
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%

In Australia methadone is a brown coloured syrup. There is also 'biodone', which is a pink coloured syrup that is free of sugar and alcohol. Biodone is prescribed to diabetics, pregnant women, and sometimes it is the usual choice of the prescribing doctor. The biodone doesn't feel as strong as the brown syrup, from SWIM's experience. She would always notice that the brown syrup had more effect, both orally and intravenously.

Physeptone (methadone tablets) is also prescribed in Australia, but it's at doctor's discretion. SWIM has had physeptone prescribed in the past for holidays and at one point simply because the doctor preferred that option.
Old 26-09-2010, 18:57
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by osnappo View Post
swim thought they had stopped making the wafes (40 mg methadone pills), are swiy still able to obtain then, jw, swim used to be able to swallow one in whole,lol, just curious
Quote:
Swim hasn't had waffers since 2006 when a friend of his got 100 of them every two weeks from a quack pain clinic. What swim has read now is that the waffers are only used for drug clinics. They can't be prescribed for pain anymore. I guess they think 40 mg is too much for one dose.
MP is right - the 40mg dispersable wafers are no longer allowed to be prescribed for pain patients. As US methadone clinics tend to use liquid, the only time I've heard of wafers being used is in a hospital setting. As in, a MMT patient is hospitalized for some reason, they'll keep wafers as well as 10mg & 5mg tablets on-hand.

My BFF, Girlie, tells me that the last time she was in the hospital, they would show her the back of the bubble-pack so she could read the dosage, then open it in front of her & let it drop into a cup, then pour water into the cup & swirl it around so she wouldn't be able to cheek any of them. So, she watched a 40mg wafer, another 40mg wafer, a 10mg tablet, and then a 5mg tablet (totally 95mg for those who don't want to add) to total her daily dose. She said it wouldn't have tasted bad if they'd have just let her take the 2 tablets by herself, with water, like one normally would. She said that the tablets dissolved, sort of, but tasted AWFUL, and would stick ALL over the sides of the cup; making about 6 rinsings of the cup needed, no lie. This was about 10 months ago.

But that's the only way I've heard of 'wafers' being available in my area, at least, since they stopped being available for pain patients.

Quote:
I've heard users in the UK can get injectable methadone. I think Dickon mentioned getting 50mg/ml ampules.
This is true, they can get methadone ampules. From what I understand, there's no rush though, so it would "just" be to soothe needle fixation. Methadone is pretty damn bioavailable orally, one of it's reasons being chosen as a 'maintenance medication'.

~Kailey
Old 29-09-2010, 16:08
Anti Matter Member

49 y/o Male from Germany
TheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 8,976, Level: 13 Points: 8,976, Level: 13 Points: 8,976, Level: 13
Activity: 48.5% Activity: 48.5% Activity: 48.5%
AW: Why is Methadone, usually liquid??

The Wolf never has seen or heard about wafers in germany. Methadone is usually not given as a pain reduction med, it is about 98% only prescribed to those on MMT. There is, aside from methaddict tabs which are only used in clinical settings, two different types of methadone,
The one is methadone racemate, as a 1% solution containing Raspberry syrup (and lots of it), and as second possibility Levomethadone brand name L-Polamidon, which is only the active enantiomere in a 0.5% solution, to which syrups are added.
Syrup is for making addicts not IVing it.
L-Polamidon, or as a veterinary med L-Polamivet exists also in injectable (IM, IV) phials.
The Wolf has never met an addict who would abstain from IVing syrupy metha/pola because there is syrup in it...
The Wolf has never found any preparation of methadone available in germany uninjectable, even the solved Methaddict tabs (filtered) can be injected.

TBBW
Old 10-10-2010, 22:17
Silver Member

Male from Sweden
antialias is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 98, Level: 1 Points: 98, Level: 1 Points: 98, Level: 1

Countries that swim knows of that have methadon-pills: maintenance-patients in Denmark get it in pill form, here in Sweden these patient get it in the liquid form and the pill-version is available for pain-patients.

Swim has never heard of companies delibrately making their liquid 'done' painful to inject. Swim has injected both the liquid and pill types of scandinavian methadone without any pain or side-effects. However, the "lemonade"-like methadone obviously does not feel very safe to inject but the raspberry-flavour he gets in his mouth a few seconds after inject is kind of nice..

Swim understands why some people choose to inject their prescription-methadone because the ritual of IVing is abviously deeply rooted in the addiction part of the brain... but swim feel it should be avoided.

If swiny wants a safe way to take their methadone but still get a faster onset and keep some kind of ritual involving works, he suggests taking it rectally.. the effects usually become present within 10 minutes (instead of the hourlooong oral way) and the buzz is equal in strenght and duration compared to swallowing it.

Save your veins for gear instead! swiy will regret that he injected all that methadone and other harmful stuff that destroyed his veins for sure in the future and is left to skin-pop his heroin fix.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:43
Titanium Member

Female from United Kingdom
Alice123 is a decent psychonaut.Alice123 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 207, Level: 2 Points: 207, Level: 2 Points: 207, Level: 2

"Save your veins for gear instead!"

Strange advice IMO. At least the methadone amps are clean, not cut with all the shit street H is. And there is a buzz, ok it's nothing like H, but shoot enough of it and you'll get a buzz. It's just my opinion and my veins gave out a long time ago (if I need a blood test I take the whole day off work lol - kidding) and maybe it sounds crazy, after all shooting up anything is destructive - I just think if you gotta shoot something, try to keep it as clean as you can. That's why I disagree with the above advice.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:21
Titanium Member

36 y/o Male from Earth
&rew is on the way up&rew is on the way up&rew is on the way up

Quote:
"Save your veins for gear instead!"

Strange advice IMO. At least the methadone amps are clean
I think it was about street crystal methadone cooked in underground labs. This methadone have very low pH, usual it burns not too hard but sometimes it burns veins like a hell, burns to jumps, tears and screams, but SWIM have to keep pushing... common... fking hell... damn... %#&@. Problem is that methadone's freebase not solvable in water and thats why it always goes as methadone hydrochloride. Underground chemists usually put into solution a little bit more of HCl (one of strongest acid) and again they usually not recrystallize it cos it'll decrease reaction's output. And one of strongest acid not worse thing that could be found in not recrystallized methadone. What about cyanide? It is hard to imaging what chemist should do to have unreacted cyanide in final product but in theory it is possible. And btw methadone with cyanide shouldn't burn veins.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:50
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15

Actually, the "Save the veins for gear!" comment is mostly towards people who are using ORAL METHADONE (crushed pills or "cough syurp-style" liquid) to inject.

In which case, I'd have to agree!

I don't think people would be having such problems with injecting methadone, if they had injectable ampules! Which, I might add, aren't available at all to addicts (in fact, they aren't available outside of a hospital setting) in the USA.

~Kailey
Old 10-11-2010, 11:58
Titanium Member

Female from United Kingdom
Alice123 is a decent psychonaut.Alice123 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 207, Level: 2 Points: 207, Level: 2 Points: 207, Level: 2

Oooops, sorry, I stand corrected
Old 10-11-2010, 12:32
Gold Member

26 y/o Male from United Kingdom
mickey_bee must mainline Medlinemickey_bee must mainline Medlinemickey_bee must mainline Medlinemickey_bee must mainline Medlinemickey_bee must mainline Medlinemickey_bee must mainline Medlinemickey_bee must mainline Medlinemickey_bee must mainline Medlinemickey_bee must mainline Medlinemickey_bee must mainline Medlinemickey_bee must mainline Medline
Points: 2,651, Level: 7 Points: 2,651, Level: 7 Points: 2,651, Level: 7
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

According to swim's keyworkers, the main reason that oral methadone liquid is used rather than pills, is really very simple.

Almost all patients who start on methadone, at some point, will do a reduction, a taper. Normally decreasing by increments of as little as 1ml, sometimes even 0.5ml.

Liquid methadone is easy to measure accurately to the ml. Trying to make up 76mg of methadone by using tablets would be near impossible to do accurately, consistently. And would take f**kin ages.

She told swim that other factors like abuse potential etc. were very much secondary to the simple factor of dose control.
Besides, in the UK it's quite easy to buy litres of the stuff on the black market, from people who have take-home scripts but don't use em, or use as much as they're prescribed.

Swim's only been scripted tablets when he went on holiday, for the simple fact that he wouldn't have to carry litres of juice around ith him in 35 degree(celsius) plus heat(which is bad for the methadone). However, last time swim went on holiday, the dosey doctor just scripted him the liquid! And swim had to keep the litres of it in those delicate glass bottles in case customs wanted to check - which they have done in the past. Swim was camping aswell, the whole situation was a pain in the arse!

IV'n oral methadone solution is an extremely bad idea by the way, swim's only met one person who's ever done it, and the results were horrific, and smelly as hell. It's really, really not good for the veins, or organs.

EDIT - In addition, the only difference between oral methadone (liquid or pill form) and injectable ampoule methadone, is the time it takes for onset of effects. The injectable amps provide no rush, get you no higher, they simply start working after a few minutes as opposed to an hour or so. But the effects are just the same.

Last edited by mickey_bee; 10-11-2010 at 12:44.
Old 15-11-2010, 19:09

Male from United Kingdom
Gilver84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1

Just to let u guys know swim has seen blue methadone which is 10x stronger than green methadone so for every 10mls of green is equal to 1ml blue which is potent shit but swim has only ever had it in detox though gd stuff worked well at the time.
Old 16-11-2010, 22:05
Titanium Member

Male from Earth
natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 1,146, Level: 5 Points: 1,146, Level: 5 Points: 1,146, Level: 5
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%

Swim agrees with some of the posts above.

Methadone is usually liquid because it is a lot easier for them to measure out your dosage.

Plus, with it being in liquid form it is more likely for the user to take the Methadone orally and not abuse it.

And yes, because it's sugary and usually a lot of liquid for one to inject, it is a lot less likely that users will try and IV their takehome doses. It is also a VERY dangerous medication to try and IV. They make it this way.

Swim lives in North America and one of his friends Moms gets her Methadone in pill form and sometimes in liquid to. However, Swim thinks she gets them in pill form because she is prescribed it for actual pain and not just for an addiction.

People who take it for an addiction usually get the Methadone in liquid form.

Last edited by natey7; 24-09-2011 at 15:10.
Old 31-05-2011, 19:05
Banned

92 y/o Male from United States
Tony Williams is on the way upTony Williams is on the way upTony Williams is on the way up

SWIM wants to add, he IVed 20mg of amps and had quite the hit. 40mg would of been nicer. There was deffo a rush to it.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:32

44 y/o Male from New Zealand
psycronizer needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.

Hi fellas, its interesting reading all your responses, and , I can tell that a lot of you are are guessing as to why its liquid,educated guesses of course, and , yes, most of the reasons you give are the actual reasons, it wasnt one reason , but a set of criteria that determine the drugs dosage form. The liquid is of course easy to titrate dosage accurately, not easy to conceal,transport etc, not easy (or rather safe) to inject and requires base/non-aqeous solvent extraction and neutralisation (and preferably recrystallisation) to make it "safe" for I.V use. I have been on the stuff for about 9 years now..started at about 20 milligrams twice daily now at 100mg twice a day. That means eating 20 little white circular tabs twice a day (or once at 40, if I feel like a bigger hit!). I usually knock them back with a cup of coffee. I have never I.V them, and I dont plan to, as I know that the hit wouldnt justify the trouble, my tolerance is pretty high now. just as a side note, about 2 years ago I came offf my KTM duke and buggered my back-anyhow in the ambulance I didnt let on bout the methdone..in hind site I should have-they said" dont worry here comes the good stuff..."and injected me with probably 10 mg IV morphine and to no great surprise I felt a weird cold flush and nothing else, that was it. I wonder what would happen if I had a leg half hanging off or some other mega injury and in need of serious pain relief? I'm not sure they could deliver?! but I digress...

Share this on:

Tags
drugs-forum, i.v., injecting, injecting methadone, iv methadone, iv use, methadone, methadone liquid, methadone syrup, methadone tablets, new zealand, physeptone, shoot up, shooting up