Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Various drugs not covered by other forums Discussion of Psychoactive drugs that do not have a specific forum

Old 19-06-2010, 00:08
Silver Member

27 y/o Female from United States
Lil Dragonfly is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 152, Level: 2 Points: 152, Level: 2 Points: 152, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
eating baking soda?

SWIM wants to know how much baking soda she can eat on a long-term basis without running into health problems.

Well, without running into significant health problems at least. Minor health problems she is willing to put up with.

P.S. By baking soda I mean exactly that, the baking soda you buy in the store. I am not using it as a nickname or slang name for some psychoactive substance.
Old 19-06-2010, 00:14
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

23 y/o Male from United States
TicksAndLeaches is a decent psychonaut.
Re: eating baking soda?

why would SWIY eat baking soda? is it for the taste or to potentiate opiates?
Old 19-06-2010, 00:20
Palladium Member

Male from United States
CrookedEye really knows their shit.CrookedEye really knows their shit.CrookedEye really knows their shit.CrookedEye really knows their shit.CrookedEye really knows their shit.CrookedEye really knows their shit.CrookedEye really knows their shit.CrookedEye really knows their shit.CrookedEye really knows their shit.
Points: 1,377, Level: 5 Points: 1,377, Level: 5 Points: 1,377, Level: 5

Well, I might say that is an odd habit.. But baking soda is in loads of foods you eat.. I don't think it's particularly harmful, but excess sodium is probably not a great part of a healthy diet..

Actually upon further research I found this on wikipedia:

Quote:
Adverse reactions to the administration of sodium bicarbonate can include metabolic alkalosis, edema due to sodium overload, congestive heart failure, hyperosmolar syndrome, hypervolemic hypernatremia, and hypertension due to increased sodium. In patients who consume a high calcium or dairy-rich diet, calcium supplements, or calcium-containing antacids such as calcium carbonate (e.g., Tums), the use of sodium bicarbonate can cause milk-alkali syndrome, which can result in metastatic calcification, kidney stones, and kidney failure.
So small amounts or in food are probably fine, however eating a box of baking soda is probably pretty unhealthy..

Post Quality Evaluations:
research carried out on behalf of OP.Thanks

Last edited by CrookedEye; 19-06-2010 at 00:25.
Old 19-06-2010, 00:23

Male from South Africa
oblihatni is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1

Why would SWIY want to do that? Rennies works fine. It all depends on how often SWIY chows baking soda. If it is numerous times per day, the stomach acids will eventually be neutralized (temporarily) which would result in poor digestion. Nutrients would not be absorbed as well since the colon had no help from the stomach to digest. The effects will probably be similar to eating McDonalds ONLY for a lengthy period. At least take some vitamin-mineral pills if SWIY plans to continue this experiment.

Please note that SWIM has not done biochemistry for a while, so the information is debatable.
Old 22-06-2010, 19:29
Platinum Member & Advisor

33 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 18,482, Level: 19 Points: 18,482, Level: 19 Points: 18,482, Level: 19
Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0%

I seem to be rather senesitive in the bowels when it comes to baking soda, a spoonful will result in one of those I-think-I-have-gas-now-my pants-are-wet issues the next day. However, this does not seem to be universal and is probably not an issue for most people.
Old 21-09-2010, 04:39
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Veksul is on the way upVeksul is on the way upVeksul is on the way up
Points: 408, Level: 3 Points: 408, Level: 3 Points: 408, Level: 3

May I ask why SWIY wants to eat baking soda?

Sure, I have once seen a man snort a line of baking soda up their nose. But this was an elaborate attempt to stave off fiending for more cocaine; whether it was an effective placebo I cannot report. I guess part of the high could arguably be from the act of snorting itself.. but I digress. What possesses SWIY to eat baking soda? Any benefits? Enjoy the taste perhaps? I am really curious actually
Old 21-09-2010, 05:07

39 y/o Female from United States
evilisin is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1

SWIM has a grand mother that eats a spoonful of baking soda after every meal.
She has been doing this at least 35 years, and probably even longer than that.
She has no health problems, besides diabetes, which she got when she was 78 years old, and as a side effect of medications.
Old 30-09-2010, 22:37
Gold Finger

33 y/o Female from United States
chibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,288, Level: 7 Points: 2,288, Level: 7 Points: 2,288, Level: 7
Activity: 10.3% Activity: 10.3% Activity: 10.3%

Baking soda is alkaline and neutralizes stomach acid when eaten. A spoonful is probably overkill, a large pinch is usually enough for acid reflux.

Eating large amounts, especially with or before food, is going to inhibit your ability to absorb certain vitamins. Plus, sodium bicarbonate contains...wait for it...sodium! And that's not something most people need a lot of. If you do, ramen is a far more delicious source.

If you find yourself craving baking soda, that's called pica and it's usually a sign of a nutrient deficiency (not sodium.)

interesting suggestion on pica
Very valuable information!
Old 15-06-2012, 04:43

36 y/o Female from United States
nonymouse77 should review received reputation comments.

baking soda is of possible benefit to avoid radiation contamination (think 2011 Fukishima-some say it is worse than Chernobyl and that there is a cover up but the fallout is showing up in radioactive tuna in California in 2012 and radioactive milk from California although they say it is still at a "safe" standard.)

simple remedy for radiation exposure that the army recommends: baking soda. Oral baking soda diminishes the severity of the changes that uranium creates in the kidneys. Bathing in baking soda (1-3 pounds per bath, depending on severity of exposure) and in magnesium salts (magnesium chloride or epsom salts) binds to uranium on the skin and some soaks into the body. Sodium bicarbinate has been used to clean soil contaminated with uranium. You can also boil baking soda in water and breathe the steam (carefully!) as a nebulizer to bind with any uranium breathed into the lungs. So keeping 10 or more pounds of baking soda on hand is an inexpensive preparation.

Other home remedies that have been shown to help:

High dose vitamin C
Chlorella and spirulina
Miso soup and seaweed
Cilantro
Internal consumption of edible clay and clay baths
Sulphur-rich foods like broccoli, cabbage and mustard greens
Chlorophyll and chlorophyll-rich foods such as wheat and barley grass
Pine bark extract, green tea extract, grape seed extract, dandelion root extract
Gingko biloba
Aloe vera and curcumin (tumeric) for skin damage

Some of these things may be good to use after CT scans and other diagnostic and treatment radiation exposure as well.>

that is what I found when looking up how to have a brighter post fallout tmorow...but I haven't done any of it yet, and am still drinking milk...but only Wisconsin milk.

Please provide sources for this sort of information
Irrelevant and unsubstantiated.
Old 15-06-2012, 06:49
Policy, Various & Reviews
Co-Moderator

49 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Mindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,136, Level: 12 Points: 7,136, Level: 12 Points: 7,136, Level: 12
Activity: 11.6% Activity: 11.6% Activity: 11.6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Dragonfly View Post
SWIM wants to know how much baking soda she can eat on a long-term basis without running into health problems.
Baking soda is a salt, or sodium. There are varying figures given for a recommended daily amount of sodium, many say this is around 2.4 grams although this wouldn't account for individual variations. As long as your sodium use (including the bicarbonate) is within sensible limits eating baking soda daily might not cause any health problems. How much do you consume? If you're talking about large amounts of baking soda, Chibi's suggestion of pica and dietary deficiency could be worth looking into.

In daily life regular high intake of sodium is not recommended due to the impact it has on blood pressure. When our sodium levels become too high, salt enters the circulatory system or bloodstream, as the kidneys are not able to excrete this excess sodium via urine as usual. This salt increases volume of blood by attracting water, which increases blood pressure. High blood pressure is a significant risk factor for diseases such as heart attacks and strokes. It is also noteworthy that much of most peoples daily salt intake comes from packaged and processed food, most of us have little idea of how much we use.

Great and insightful response as usual - well done!

Last edited by Mindless; 15-06-2012 at 20:43. Reason: typo

Share this on:

Tags
adderall, drugs-forum, grapefruit, health, health problems, love, sodium bicarbonate