Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums > Deliriant antihistamines
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Deliriant antihistamines Diphenhydramine, cyclizine and other antihistamines.

Old 17-06-2010, 13:11
Silver Member

Male from United States
MrMunchies is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 153, Level: 2 Points: 153, Level: 2 Points: 153, Level: 2
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%
Dimenhydrinate causing schizophrenia?

Well its been a while since I did dramamine for my second time, about a month, and is it possible, just maybe, that dimenhydrinate abuse can cause people to have schizophrenia?

My anxiety and paranoia problem seemed to get 10 times worse than before...

And last night, sitting on my bed, listening to music...I looked out into the dark hallway and started thinking that there was a person out there, plotting to come in and kill me any second, and he was watching me. Freaking out, I turned on the light, and shut my door. And then I hear whispers coming from my closet, saying chris, about 10 times or so , slow whispers. I then had a bad anxiety attack and ended up passing out somehow.

What in the fuck is going on with me? Stuff like this has been happening ever since my second dramamine encounter. 1100 mg of dimenhydrinate.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Please review the rules regarding incrimination
Old 19-06-2010, 03:20
Silver Member

27 y/o Female from United States
Lil Dragonfly is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 152, Level: 2 Points: 152, Level: 2 Points: 152, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Dimenhydrinate causing schizophrenia?

Last time I checked people with schizophrenia have histamine levels that are too high. So antihistamines should decrease their symptoms, not worsen them.

SWIM has schizophrenia and finds that antihistamines, her favorite drugs in the world, effectively get rid of her anxiety and paranoia.

P.S. Everyone knows that schizophrenia is a genetic condition, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you meant "exascerbate" not "cause"...

Please check again - factually incorrect on several levels, & potentially dangerous as a result. Google is your friend
Old 19-06-2010, 03:54
Phenoxide Phenoxide is nu online
Research Chemicals Forum
Super Moderator

Male from United Kingdom
Phenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,882, Level: 20 Points: 19,882, Level: 20 Points: 19,882, Level: 20
Activity: 28.4% Activity: 28.4% Activity: 28.4%

It may or may not precipitate schizophrenia, but abuse of strong psychoactives by a person with pre-existing anxiety and paranoia is like playing with a loaded gun. Sooner or later the combination of anxiety and intoxicants will align and trigger a psychotic episode, schizophrenic or otherwise. Definitely worth laying off the deleriants (and other drugs for that matter) until the anxiety is back under control.

Whether the dimenhydrinate was responsible or not, the extreme paranoid behavior is understandably a genuine cause for concern. Being that scared of the dark and the voices are worrying signs, but it's important to remind SWIYself that these things are irrational. The unknown plays straight to our most primal of fears, but there is nothing lurking in the darkness. Nobody is out to get you. The voices are a product of SWIY's imagination, riffing on the idea that there's something malicious presence.

Has SWIY tried talking about this with a close friend or family member? Talking through your worries face to face in the cold light of day may help to alleviate the anxiety. If things get worse SWIY might want to consider visiting a psychotherapist. Anxiety attacks so severe that it's causing blackouts might put SWIY at physical risk, as SWIY won't be aware of their actions once the attack peaks.

Don't pile more worries on top by trying to self-diagnose, as that'll just add to the anxiety. Try to stay cool and collected, and talk things through. Hope things improve and SWIY feels better in the coming weeks.

Good advice to the OP.
Old 20-06-2010, 01:15

Male from Canada
stormchasar is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1

Don't think it's related to schizophrenia. But I've had some anxiety issues that started around the first time I used dimenhydrinate, I think. On a couple occasions I've suddenly become irrationally convinced that I was high on dimenhydrinate despite not having taken any, and worried that I was going to start hallucinating.
Don't know if there's any correlation between the anxiety and dimenhydrinate though. It followed a lot of other stuff in my life going on, and dimenhydrinate itself doesn't make me particularly anxious.
Old 23-06-2010, 11:23
Banned

Male
Johnnynapples is an unknown quantity at this point

When swiy takes diphenhydramine " benadryl " paranoia becomes overwhelming.
After the substance wears off paranoia is mild and decreases and stops around 2 or 3 days.

With Dramamine " dimenhydrinate " swiy never had any effects like paranoia.

Swiy has read somewhere " he can't find the exact website " that long term abusers of said substance COULD be at risk for dementia.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:39
Banned

21 y/o Male from United States
JohnnyKnox is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMunchies View Post
Well its been a while since I did dramamine for my second time, about a month, and is it possible, just maybe, that dimenhydrinate abuse can cause people to have schizophrenia?

My anxiety and paranoia problem seemed to get 10 times worse than before...

And last night, sitting on my bed, listening to music...I looked out into the dark hallway and started thinking that there was a person out there, plotting to come in and kill me any second, and he was watching me. Freaking out, I turned on the light, and shut my door. And then I hear whispers coming from my closet, saying chris, about 10 times or so , slow whispers. I then had a bad anxiety attack and ended up passing out somehow.

What in the fuck is going on with me? Stuff like this has been happening ever since my second dramamine encounter. 1100 mg of dimenhydrinate.

Jessy the turtle says
" during trips it is not uncommon to hear voices " auditory " halluciantions.
on the contrary the auditory hallucinations are said to be more relevant in a diphenhydrinate/diphenhydramine trip. Also paranoia can be huge in heavy doses of this substance. Keep in mind Diphenhydramine and Diphenhydrinate are pretty close and mimic side effects.

After the trip has gone away and you catch some sleep the voices, hallucinations and or delusions will typically go away. If not, and you say you are having auditory hallucinations then something isn't right.
Paranoia.. now that is a problem.. terrible..

I have read somewhere that Heavy Abuse of these substances " can " causes dementia in the long run. I wish i had the article stating the information of which I am giving. "

Well rounded answer and thanks jesse the turtle for giving us your input

Share this on:

Tags
antihistamine, dimenhydrinate, drug, drugs-forum, hallucinations, lsd, schizophrenia, tripping