Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Ethnobotanicals > Kratom
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Kratom Mitragyna speciosa

Old 11-11-2005, 23:22
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male
sands of time probably knows what they are talking about.sands of time probably knows what they are talking about.sands of time probably knows what they are talking about.sands of time probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 2,598, Level: 7 Points: 2,598, Level: 7 Points: 2,598, Level: 7
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
I have read alot about grapefruit juice potentiating opiates because it binds with the same enzyme as opiates, but what about kratom? I have read on some kratom groups and sites that grapefruit juice works well at potentiating kratom, and in fact I have just tried it out.

I kinda wanna say that I can already feel it hitting me a bit harder, but I think I will need more time to tell. I took a normal dose (1 1/2 tablespoons mixed in pudding) and within 40 minutes the effects were coming on strong. I feel more sedated than normal, but I'm not sure if the grapefruit juice made much difference. I will report back latter. Can anyone else share any experiences? Some people swear by this method.
Old 11-11-2005, 23:42
Gold Member

Male from United States
snapper must mainline Medlinesnapper must mainline Medlinesnapper must mainline Medlinesnapper must mainline Medlinesnapper must mainline Medlinesnapper must mainline Medlinesnapper must mainline Medlinesnapper must mainline Medlinesnapper must mainline Medlinesnapper must mainline Medlinesnapper must mainline Medline
Points: 3,115, Level: 8 Points: 3,115, Level: 8 Points: 3,115, Level: 8
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%
Grapefruit juice inhibits cytochrome enzymes in the liver that help break
down complex drugs. This became popular with DXM and does indeed
make this sustance stronger. Looking at the compex ring structure of
mytraginine and friends, it is likely that cytochromes work on these.
Therefore, it may work.
To get it to work better, drink about 1/2 liter minimum of PURE grapefruit
(not concentrate) about 2 hours before eating Kratom. The latter kicks in
and out rapidly, and it takes at least 2 hours for the alkaloids in the
grapefruit to bind up the cytochromes.

Snapper
Old 12-11-2005, 00:56

Male
sands of time probably knows what they are talking about.sands of time probably knows what they are talking about.sands of time probably knows what they are talking about.sands of time probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 2,598, Level: 7 Points: 2,598, Level: 7 Points: 2,598, Level: 7
Wow, thats quite a large amount. It would be nice if there was some sore of extract available, like a vitamin or something. Maybe one could evaporate the grapefruit juice and then drink a smaller amount. Thanks for the info, I did drink a much smaller amount, but the effects lasted longer. Not much more intense though.
Old 13-11-2005, 10:05

Svperstar is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1
Funny this topic came up.

Today I just got 90 grams of powdered Kratom, "commercial" grade. I went and got some "100% pure Grapefruit juice, not from concentrate" today to see if it works.

10:00 pm </span>I drank 2 large glasses of Grapefruit juice, and waited 30 minutes.

10:20 pm</span> I pop 1 Generic Extra strength antacid (1000 mgs of Calcium Carbonate.)

10:30 pm </span>I put 2 TSP on the back of my tongue and wash it down with hot water, one TSP at a time, I think a TSP = 4.6 grams

I then chug a sugar free adrenaline rush, which I think is ~80-100 mgs of caffine

I keep doing this once every 15 minutes or so till midnight.

12:00 pm WOW! </span>Hits me like a ton of bricks, I am very, very high, a lot higher than I have been off of Kratom before.

1:10 am( </span>Now)

I still feel it but I am slightly shaky, my hands are shaking pretty bad.

I think I consumed about 30 grams of powder tonight, good stuff. I think the grapefruit juice had a nice effect.

Old 14-11-2005, 08:13

Male
bcStoner420 is captain of the psychonauts.bcStoner420 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 694, Level: 4 Points: 694, Level: 4 Points: 694, Level: 4
Wow, seems like grapefruit juice is good for a large number of drug potentiations. I think i might have to stock up.
Old 18-11-2005, 07:59

Male from United States
Red_Baran is an unknown quantity at this point
Swim would have to agree, swim loves kratom, and its much better when you drink a nice huge glass Grapefruit in the morning and eat kratom all day long
Old 24-11-2005, 22:23

sourcream is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
superstar noted that antiacid affect the
euphoric effects of kratom of simply assist
with the sickness involved? swim loves caffine while on kratom but have
never used grape juice.

<!--
bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img");//-->

<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->could
it be the vitamin content or acids (i.e. would cranberry juice have the
same effect) or does it actually involve grapes? i wonder if just
grapes would produce the same interaction... just thinking to myself

Old 28-11-2005, 00:08

56hoperoad is an unknown quantity at this point
I think it's the DHEA in grapefruit juice.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:51

Male from United Kingdom
signifier is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1
The potentiation comes from chemicals called Flavonoids which inhibit some cytochrome oxidase liver enzymes.
You can now buy extracted flavonoids in many herb/supplement shops. Look for 'Citrus Bioflavonoids' and 'Querecetin'....
Old 17-12-2005, 22:47
Gold Member

Male from United States
snapper must mainline Medlinesnapper must mainline Medlinesnapper must mainline Medlinesnapper must mainline Medlinesnapper must mainline Medlinesnapper must mainline Medlinesnapper must mainline Medlinesnapper must mainline Medlinesnapper must mainline Medlinesnapper must mainline Medlinesnapper must mainline Medline
Points: 3,115, Level: 8 Points: 3,115, Level: 8 Points: 3,115, Level: 8
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%
Also, many drugs inhibit cytochromes. A lack of cytrochromes also potentiates many drugs. think about what you are on first (ie - medications) since you may experience a similar potentiation.

Snapper
Old 18-12-2005, 01:25
Silver Member

34 y/o Male from Australia
lem is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 86, Level: 1 Points: 86, Level: 1 Points: 86, Level: 1
Check this out for more information on grapefruit juice and its effect on cytochrome enzyme inhibition. In short, furanocoumarins (bergapten) and flavonoids (quercetin, naringenin/naringin) are responsible for grapefruit's actions.

http://www.ualberta.ca/~csps/JPPS4(3)/S.Wanwimolruk/grapefruit.htm

Post Quality Evaluations:
Go on then, have an edit button - use it! Nice link btw!
Old 18-12-2005, 02:34

60 y/o Male
Marsofold probably knows what they are talking about.Marsofold probably knows what they are talking about.Marsofold probably knows what they are talking about.Marsofold probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 1,162, Level: 5 Points: 1,162, Level: 5 Points: 1,162, Level: 5
Grapefruit juice causes many things to be absorbed into the bloodstream much faster. I used to take Seldane by prescription for allergies. It was removed from the market after it was discovered that taking it with grapefruit juice caused the Seldane blood concentration to reach dangerous levels.
Old 18-12-2005, 06:57
bananadine addict

Male from United States
radiometer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumradiometer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumradiometer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumradiometer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumradiometer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumradiometer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumradiometer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumradiometer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumradiometer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumradiometer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumradiometer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,449, Level: 12 Points: 7,449, Level: 12 Points: 7,449, Level: 12
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%
There is no information available regarding the metabolism of mitragynine, so it certainly may be possible that WGF juice potentiates kratom. It's cool to see anecdotal evidence suggesting it is so...I'll have to give this a try soon.
Old 18-12-2005, 11:35
Banned

Male
Nagognog2 must think in IUPACNagognog2 must think in IUPACNagognog2 must think in IUPACNagognog2 must think in IUPACNagognog2 must think in IUPACNagognog2 must think in IUPACNagognog2 must think in IUPACNagognog2 must think in IUPACNagognog2 must think in IUPACNagognog2 must think in IUPACNagognog2 must think in IUPAC
Points: 3,186, Level: 8 Points: 3,186, Level: 8 Points: 3,186, Level: 8
Oh Bongo? Bongo sweetie? I have a nice and frosty drink for you! Come back here, you damned beast! Stop acting like an ape!
Old 18-12-2005, 15:34

38 y/o Male from United States
Richard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline Medline
Points: 3,596, Level: 8 Points: 3,596, Level: 8 Points: 3,596, Level: 8
Radiometer,

the point you bring up is exactly the issue with cytochromes in general--and unless someone does the research on mytragines and how they're metabolized, then we'll only have the anecdotal evidence to add or detract from the idea that grapefruit juice enhances the kratom.

remember, with SOME drugs, the grapefruit juice (if we're assuming it's an active cytochrome inhibitor in this instance) will actually enhance the excretion of the drug.

Some drugs are MORE activated by having a revved-up CYP system. These are usually drugs whose partially metabolized by-product is more potent or equally potent as the parent drug. (hence last year's fad in USA about 'prohormones' before they were quickly banished)
Old 15-06-2007, 01:33

Male from United States
tayo probably knows what they are talking about.tayo probably knows what they are talking about.tayo probably knows what they are talking about.tayo probably knows what they are talking about.tayo probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 1,386, Level: 5 Points: 1,386, Level: 5 Points: 1,386, Level: 5
Is Kratom Potentiated by Grapefruit Juice?

After using the forum search engine, scattered posts in threads may have mentioned this before, and a post in 2005 was the most recent on the sunject, but to make it easier for others to find... SWIM thought it deserved an easy to find thread of its own.

Well the question...

Will grapefruit juice (GFJ) potentiate the active alkaloids in Kratom?

(of which new information is now pointing toward 7-Hydroxy-Mitragynine as being responsible for the main opiate like effects of kratom.) Do we know what liver enzyme metabolizes it yet?
Old 15-06-2007, 06:53

38 y/o Male
hemlox is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1
Re: Is Kratom Potentiated by Grapefruit Juice?

There´s been a lot of discussion about this on another forum, but the consensus seems to be that yes, it does.
A substance in grapefruit blocks the enzyme that breakes down the active parts of several medicines and drugs (ther´s a load of info on this, just ask Google) including, it would seem, Kratom.

In SWIM`s opinion it may not actually make the experience more powerful, but instead make it last for a lot longer.
Old 15-06-2007, 15:24
Ethnobotanical Cannibal

Male from United States
Bajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,179, Level: 12 Points: 7,179, Level: 12 Points: 7,179, Level: 12
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Then the question would have to be what alkaloids in Kratom are potentiated by the inhibition of CYP3A4 through ingestion of grapefruit juice.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:16
Silver Member

34 y/o Male from United States
DXMBunny is captain of the psychonauts.DXMBunny is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 599, Level: 3 Points: 599, Level: 3 Points: 599, Level: 3

Swim has been reading and sees that grapefruit juice is suppose to potentate the kratom like it does opiates and benzo's by inhibiting the enzyme... so swim has heard that this more extends the trip rather than increase which makes sense since it is just inhibiting the enzyme from breaking it down...

swim question is if this grapefruit does do this... doesnt this mean that swim would have to take more than normal because it is being extended/slowed...

or is swim wrong in thinking that this means that gfj is basically making it more of a "time released" thing like alot of pills...
Old 19-04-2009, 22:20
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from United States
gmeziscool2354 probably knows what they are talking about.gmeziscool2354 probably knows what they are talking about.gmeziscool2354 probably knows what they are talking about.gmeziscool2354 probably knows what they are talking about.

heres swims thinking on kratom potentiation. for the most part, with leaves, its a product of how the body breaks the leaves down to how much alkaloids are in the system. stomach acid is one of the more important things in the breaking down of plant material into something that can be digested. inhibiting or reducing the acidity of the stomach would slow the uptake rate so the theory that alkalyzers may inhibit kratom seems to be false by swims logic.
GFJ inhibits GI enzymes, (not sure which but they are mentioned a million times on this forum) this likely does not lead to a blood plasma increase, just a slowing of excretiong, so dxm bunny seems dead on by saying GFJ would make 'tom more 'XR' like, which is exactly what SWIM has learned from recent trials.

but regardless, swim eats GF for breakfast all the time lately as it is availible now, and seems to notice that K'tom has been hitting him harder recently. he usually buys a batch one every few monthes, and last time he wasn't eating GF, but this really doesn't indicate anything, as he ordered his last batch in february, and ordered this one last week from a different vendor and is a different 'variety'. So he can't really answer the question fully, but on annecdotal evidence he says its more or less true that GFJ can potentiate ktom

Last edited by gmeziscool2354; 19-04-2009 at 22:23. Reason: incomplete post
Old 04-07-2013, 10:05

25 y/o Male from United States
Thatguy89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Re: kratom and grapefruit juice?

Yay first post.

So from what I understand cyp2d6 is responsible for the conversion of a substance.

The cyp3a4 is responsible for metabolising the converted and now active substance.

So from what I gather with all of you claiming that the kratom is kicking in harder

Is that the grapefruit juice or something in it must be an inducer of the 2d6 enzyme.

I can't remember if anyone said it lasted longer witch would be caused by inhibition of

the 3a4, but from what i hear when the 3a4 is inhibited the body compensates by producing

more of the 3a4 enzyme. From personel experience i ate 3 packs of welches fruit snacks then did 2

shots of fairly mild maeng da kratom tea and it hit me harder than ever. I honestly think it had something

to do with the flavor extractes used in the candy. Someone else give it a shot see if you get the same results.
Old 17-03-2014, 00:08
Silver Member

21 y/o Male from United States
Fanatexe is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 66, Level: 1 Points: 66, Level: 1 Points: 66, Level: 1
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%
Re: kratom and grapefruit juice?

Oh my lanta. so my owl went to the store and picked himself up some just straight up concentrated grapefruit juice to use with his kratom tonight.

5:00p.m. - Drank around 12oz's of the grapefruit juice.
5:45p.m. - Had a small snack.
6:30p.m. - Took 4g's of Green/Red indo mix and washed it down with another 12oz's of grapefruit juice.

It's 7:01p.m. now and my owl says that effects are kicking in way faster and more pleasant than normal.

Huge mood elevation, and nice warmness throughout his body.

My owl just walked into the kitchen and every time something was said he couldn't help but smile and stutter his sentences due to laughter.

So overall he would say that grapefruit juice with kratom is going to be a necessity with all future kratom use.
Don't see how he could go without it at this point.

Share this on:

Tags
drugs-forum, dxm, flurazepam, grape juice, grapefruit, grapefruit juice, kratom, kratom and grapefruit juice, potentiation, powdered kratom