Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums > Antidepressants
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 18:52

31 y/o Male
JBTao is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Lexapro (Escitalopram)- Long Term Effects?

Hello,
I am pretty desperate for help. If someone could even point me in the right direction, I would be eternally grateful.

I tapered off Lexapro over a 2-week period in March (likely way too fast after taking it for 2 years, as I now know.) I got the traditional withdrawal - head zaps, fatigue, emotional instability - as well as a feeling of burning skin and overall heat, despite no increase in temperature, sweating or any hot to the touch feeling. I started Zoloft a few days after this (a very low dose - 50 mg) but the withdrawal symptoms never went away. I am still extremely depressed, hopeless and irritable; I have consistent stomach upset and constipation; I have no energy and can barely get out of bed in the morning; my muscles ache and seem weak; and worst of all, I feel incredibly hot in a room that's even a little warm, as though my skin is burning and my body is hot inside.

It is now the beginning of May, so all this has lasted roughly 6 weeks. My doctor has no idea what this is from and can only suggest that I take a higher dose of Zoloft. I'm seeing a neurologist as well, and he put in extensive bloodwork, so we'll see if anything comes up there. (The bloodwork my main doctor did showed slightly lowered testosterone levels, but nothing else.) Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? Is it possible the Lexapro caused this because I came off it too fast? If so, will a higher dose of Zoloft help? 50 is doing nothing. Or is there something else I can try, some doctor I can see, some test I can have done? I feel completely horrible and it's frustrating getting no help from my doctor. I greatly appreciate any advice at all!!!
Old 04-05-2010, 08:34
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from United Kingdom
criss is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1
Re: Lexapro (Escitalopram)- Long Term Effects?

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but why not go back on Lexapro?
Old 04-05-2010, 19:23
Silver Member

29 y/o Female from United States
nowilltolive is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTao View Post
I am still extremely depressed, hopeless and irritable; I have consistent stomach upset and constipation; I have no energy and can barely get out of bed in the morning; my muscles ache and seem weak; and worst of all, I feel incredibly hot in a room that's even a little warm, as though my skin is burning and my body is hot inside.
These symptoms are most likely related to withdrawal from Lexapro; especially the return of SWIY's depression.

If SWIM may ask, is SWIY seeing a general physician for SWIY's medication, or a psychiatrist? In SWIM's experience, general physicians aren't as well-versed in the administration of psychiatric medications and may overlook withdrawal from an antidepressant - SWIM's general physician tested her for everything from hypothyroidism to lymphoma when she was simply going through withdrawals from citalopram.

SWIM would say that SWIY's best bet would be to try a higher dose of Zoloft - give it a few weeks before deciding if it works for SWIY - and keep in mind that finding the most beneficial antidepressant for SWIY isn't something that can be rushed. For some people, it takes months before the medication begins to work at its full effect.

And if SWIY is seeing a general physician for SWIY's medication, it would probably be better for SWIY to seek the help of a psychiatrist instead.

SWIM isn't sure if this reply has any useful information or will help SWIY in any way, but is hoping it will.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Valid comment on GP's versus psychiatrists with regards to psychotropic medications.
Old 10-05-2010, 18:55
Gold Finger

33 y/o Female from United States
chibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,404, Level: 7 Points: 2,404, Level: 7 Points: 2,404, Level: 7
Activity: 5.1% Activity: 5.1% Activity: 5.1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTao View Post
I am still extremely depressed, hopeless and irritable; I have consistent stomach upset and constipation; I have no energy and can barely get out of bed in the morning; my muscles ache and seem weak;
These are ALL most likely depression that the sertraline isn't treating, either because the dose is too low or it's just not working yet. It's not likely to work for at least a month, that's normal, it, escitalopram, and all SSRIs take a while.

Quote:
and worst of all, I feel incredibly hot in a room that's even a little warm, as though my skin is burning and my body is hot inside.
Hard to say what this is, but if it's really bothersome, swiy might need to stop the Zoloft and see if it goes away. It's not likely that the Lexapro caused something permanent, I've never heard of that. As long as swiy's body temperature isn't actually elevated, afaik it's not a cause for concern.

Quote:
(The bloodwork my main doctor did showed slightly lowered testosterone levels, but nothing else.)
Iirc, that's common in depression.

All of these symptoms should go away with time, especially if the Zoloft works. But it'll take a while to tell for sure. None of the symptoms you've described are reasons to panic, nor are they likely to be unrelated to the depression. Keep that in mind.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:41
Banned

27 y/o Male
merkaba needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.

once again ill post this... the year i spent on lexapro was the biggest mistake of my life... horrible anxiety in the year afterwards not to mention the fact that my brain has never felt right sense then... (and its been 4 years now) Id advise anyone to slowly take themselves off the shit. st johns wort helps

Share this on:

Tags
citalopram, drug, drugs, drugs-forum, ecstacy, escitalopram, escitalopram side effects, lexapro, long-term effects, pro drugs, salvia, ssri, ssri adverse effects, ssri after effects, ssri side effects, ssri withdrawal, testosterone, withdrawal