Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Cannabis > Cooking with Cannabis
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Cooking with Cannabis Recipes for cannabutter, hashbrownies and other high cuisine.

Old 30-04-2010, 18:02
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from USA - Minnesota
godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.
Points: 2,042, Level: 6 Points: 2,042, Level: 6 Points: 2,042, Level: 6
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%
Pot Brownies Cooking Question

SWIM doesn't have very much baking experience so bare with him if this is a silly question. SWIM knows how to make ganja butter already but the box of brownie mix he has calls for vegetable oil. Is it possible to substitute butter for oil in a brownie mix recipe? OR will he have to somehow extract the THC into vegetable oil, and if that s the case any suggestions? He has already found a guide to oil extracting which involves cooking the marijuana on a stove top skillet in the oil but doesn't know whether this is correct or not and doesn't want to waste anything.

SWIM wants to use 1 half oz of marijuana, however the oil extraction guide he found only calls for 5 grams. SWIM needs some pointers and his cooking supplies are limited.

EDIT: After further online research all evidence is pointing towards a "Yes you can substitute butter for oil" so that's what SWIM is going to do. He'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by godztear; 30-04-2010 at 19:19.
Old 30-04-2010, 18:08
Palladium Member

43 y/o Male from England
Space Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline Medline
Points: 5,822, Level: 11 Points: 5,822, Level: 11 Points: 5,822, Level: 11
Activity: 33.9% Activity: 33.9% Activity: 33.9%
Re: Pot Brownies Cooking Question

Why not simply grind the MJ up real fine and just add it to the brownie mix, thats how SWIM has done it in the past and it works perfectly.
Old 30-04-2010, 18:17
Silver Member

godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.

SWIM always heard that mixing the marijuana into the brownie mix actually burns up the pot in the oven since the brownies have to cook at 350 degrees F.
Old 30-04-2010, 18:32
Palladium Member

43 y/o Male from England
Space Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline Medline
Points: 5,822, Level: 11 Points: 5,822, Level: 11 Points: 5,822, Level: 11
Activity: 33.9% Activity: 33.9% Activity: 33.9%

Well SWIM used to make them this way and they got him ripped to the tits.

I take it SWIY has weed and not hash?
Old 30-04-2010, 18:40
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Numpty View Post

Yes that would be correct, mid-grade and trying to make some snacks for this weekend since it's suppose to be raining the entire time.
Old 30-04-2010, 21:54
Silver Member

Male from United States
chilliker is captain of the psychonauts.chilliker is captain of the psychonauts.chilliker is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 754, Level: 4 Points: 754, Level: 4 Points: 754, Level: 4
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

First of all SWIY could totally substitute the vegetable oil for butter, the worst that can happen is for the brownies to have a different texture. Second he could do what SWIspacenumpty said also, since the bud will be really ground real fine and inside the brownie mix SWIM thinks that the heat might evaporate it but there is nowhere to go beside in the brownie mix. Also SWIY could make vegetable oil contain THC the same way he did with the butter.
Old 30-04-2010, 23:10
Silver Member

32 y/o Female from United Kingdom
pussy_galore is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Numpty View Post

This is exactly how Swim makes them and she always gets utterly f*cked and severe attacks of giggles. Thing is though when pacing herself eating them, by the time she's onto cookie number two, the effects of number one are just kicking in and getting stronger. THEN comes munchies, so she reaches for another cookie (being cookie number three) just as the effects of number two hit her... and so on and so forth.

Happy daze.

Post Quality Evaluations:
this same thing happens to swim. space your cannaproducts out; it takes longer to effect you!
Old 10-05-2010, 21:43
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,079, Level: 15 Points: 11,079, Level: 15 Points: 11,079, Level: 15
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

Just a mention, not only can one substitute butter for veggie oil in a brownie recipe (be it budder or regular butter), one SHOULD. The brownies will taste much better...richer, more decadent. *drools*

The same goes for boxes of cake & cookie mix as well.

~Kailey, who knows someone who made "space cookie/brownie bars" in the above manner...

very good info solved all swims cooking questions in one post
Old 10-05-2010, 22:43

22 y/o Male from United States
greentoker26 should review received reputation comments.
Points: 98, Level: 1 Points: 98, Level: 1 Points: 98, Level: 1

All swiy needs to do is measure a bit more oil then the recipe calls for. Add the oil to a skillet on med-low/med heat, then add the ground up marijuana powder to the oil and let it cook for about 10 min mixing it frequently until the powder is mostly brown. Dont cook to long or you will burn it up. Then strain and mix the oil into the brownie mix.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:47
Silver Member

32 y/o Male from United States
Nerd is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailey_elise View Post
Just a mention, not only can one substitute butter for veggie oil in a brownie recipe (be it budder or regular butter), one SHOULD. The brownies will taste much better...richer, more decadent. *drools*

~Kailey, who knows someone who made "space cookie/brownie bars" in the above manner...

SWIM's never used veg oil when baking brownies... Blah. Who would want to??? Who would want an oily baked treat? Always use butter when baking, especially majik brownies! Butter gives them that rich, velvet, creamy texture that just lets the brownies crumble and melt in the mouth... mmmm...

Since SWIM's been looking high and low on these forums for a clear how-to-make cannabutter post and cannot find one, he'll post his here for all those who might wonder. (SWIM's been using this method for YEARS and has never been disapointed.)

NERDY CANNABUTTER

1 stick (or half a cup) unsalted BUTTER
1/2 oz regs or an 1/4 g of dro
Grinder
6" skillit
Fine strainer

- Grind up the de-seeded, de-stemmed weed. The finer the better. A coffee grinder works wonders. Its quick, and they're cheep.
- Melt the butter in the small 6" sikillit on LOW heat. Don't burn your butter, people! If SWIY sees smoke or hears a sizzle, its way too friggin' hot!
- Once melted, pour in the weed
- The heat can be increased to speed up the process, but BE CAREFUL!!! Simmering is ok. Boiling is not. DON'T BURN THE BUTTER!!! Be gentle.
- Stir every five minutes
- Keep the butter on the heat for about half an hour
- Strain all the particles out. SWIM uses the back of a spoon to press the excess butter out of the weed. The leftover weed is full of fiber and if you leave it in, it'll stop you up and give the baked goods a crunchy, grainy texture. It can be thrown out, or this lovely green paste can be used for bread, or croissonts, or whatever!
- Voila! Cannabutter! Put it in brownies, bake a cake, do whatever with it.

But just FYI: SWIM's little sister used to be the biggest pot head he knew... Till she ate a few brownies SWIM made like this and watched the movie Falling Down. She hasn't touched pot since. (This was five years ago.) His little brother had some of the same batch and was stoned for a day and a half.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the recipe
Old 05-06-2010, 02:07
Silver Member

Male from United States
RaoulDukeX is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 173, Level: 2 Points: 173, Level: 2 Points: 173, Level: 2

follow nerdy's recipe; its a good one, and like kelsey said, its more than acceptable to use butter as a substatute for butter ; its SUGGESTED. if you want rich chewy brownies use butter and slightly less egg. i think the recipie on the box even says you can substatute butter for oil

also when swim makes brownies, he preheats the oven to a temp around 50 degrees less than the recipie calls for, covers the pan with foil for half the bake and cooks for a little longer. remember theyll cook a bit in the pan, and use the old trick of sticking a toothpick into the brownies to see if they are done. if the pick is moist the brownies need more time, it it comes out dry they are done!

happy baking

Good tidbits of info!!! I'll use that next time!
Old 06-06-2010, 23:27

Male
jiffyjosh is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailey_elise View Post

Seconded, 'frying' the bud in vegetable oil over low heat works very well, even if it does make the house and kitchen reek. Seen this once, had the brownies promptly packed after cooling overnight in the fridge, they were great for over two weeks. Also, frying and then straining out the garbage afterwards does indeed make them more smooth, rather than the "crush up and dump" mentioned.
Old 21-02-2012, 01:42
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,079, Level: 15 Points: 11,079, Level: 15 Points: 11,079, Level: 15
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

To update:

Brownies are wicked OVERDONE if a toothpick comes out clean; brownies should be pulled away from the sides of the pan & have a sort of dry layer on top that breaks easily.

Cakes you want to come clean with a toothpick, brownies are supposed to be rich & fudgy & gooey. As stated, they do keep cooking for a few more minutes in the pan, so definitely err on the side of underdone when it comes to brownies. Once they are actually cool (if you can wait that long, haha), they will cut easily & hold their shape - especially if made with butter!

And on that topic, I made brownies tonight & didn't have any butter; as I'm OTR & have painful cramps, I said fuck it & made the brownies with half-veggie oil & half-margarine (didn't have enough veggie oil either). They are...not satisfying. They're okay, and they are brownies, but it's been sooooo long since I had any baked goods made with anything other than butter (save for my pie crusts, which get a lard & butter mixture & my rarely-made biscuits, which get a shortening & butter mixture), that I forgot just how important it is to use real butter.

Please, don't sell yourself & your baked 'baked' goods short! Use unsalted butter! Also, you can substitute milk for the water in brownies & cake mixes with great results too.

To make nice tasting 'budder':

Put your finely ground greenery into a small saucepan. Cover the greenery with water (filtered is better) until it's at least twice as high as the level of your greenery:

meaning: if the greenery is an inch high in your saucepan, you want at least two inches of water.

Honestly, the amount of water is of little importance - just make sure there's a good amount. Water can only help, too much will NOT hinder!

Anyway, back to the recipe. Turn the heat on under your saucepan full of water & greenery. While it is warming up, cut a stick or two (depends on how strong you want your budder to be) of butter into pieces & add them to the water. Bring to a boil, then turn the flame down to low so that the mixture simmers (this means it's just barely bubbling around the edges of the saucepan). Let it simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Put a colander/strainer over a bowl large enough to hold all the water & strain your saucepan into it. Smoosh the greenery to get all the liquid into the bowl, then pour some fresh hot water (not a whole lot, a cup at the most) over your greenery & smoosh it all again. This helps get the last bits of butter (that's why it needs to be hot, because cold water would make the butter into a solid. ).

Place your bowl of water/butter into the fridge. After a few hours, the layers will have separated, with icky brown water on the bottom & pale green budder on top. Carefully remove the budder, place in a plastic bag & store in the freezer until needed. To use, bring to room temperature or toss into double boiler if you have one, or a pan if you don't. If no double boiler, you have to watch it like a HAWK as you remelt it, to make sure it doesn't burn. I suppose you could put it in the microwave as well, but I don't own one & can't vouch for that.

WHY THIS WORKS: The addition of the water not only keeps the butter from burning, it also leeches much icky-tasting gunk from the greenery. The goodies are fat-soluble and NOT water-soluble, so the goodies go into the fat (the butter) & the water takes some of the chlorophyll & other crap that can affect the taste of your budder.

I find it highly amusing that someone who has no interest whatsoever in experiencing the effects of cannabis (that would be me) gets such high compliments on her space cakes. *grin* I've also made budder to give my cats when they are ill; when my cat Bettie was dying from cancer & couldn't come out to smoke with my roommates anymore, I would feed her tiny (TINY!) bits of budder melted & mixed into some gravy (seriously - TINY! Like, the size of a matchhead, anything more & she'd be out cold, haha).

Another cat of mine, Jamie, has become interested in cannabis in his old age (13). He's NEVER liked ANY kind of smoke before, & the roommates have even tried to see if he likes cannabis smoke & he'd always run away (even when they blew smoke towards him from behind). Now, however, he comes over & tries to get at head-height with the smoking humans. I really like this, because he's always been very neurotic. So I think it's time for a new batch of budder to feed to him...as it's difficult to make the tiny batches I need, I think the roomies might be getting a batch of space cakes soon...

Also, once you make budder, you can use it in anything. You can just spread it on toast if you like, throw a tablespoon over some plain noodles & add some garlic powder/salt, whatever. Anything you'd use regular butter or oil for, you can use budder on. As I mentioned, it's a fantastic medicinal for pets who enjoy the effects, but you really need WAAAAAY less than you think you do. Seriously. I felt bad when I overshot the mark & Bettie was fucked up all day, but she just slept & with her cancer pain, she probably didn't mind, but still. Start with VERY SMALL AMOUNTS!

If you're like me, you can also just eat a spoonful of the butter straight off the spoon/knife - this is easier if you make really concentrated/potent budder (less to eat, naturally). If you make your budder very potent & don't want your batch of space cakes to be THAT strong, just use half budder & half untreated butter in the recipe.

The above recipe also works with coconut oil, or any other edible lipid that is solid at room temperature. Basically, I can only think of butter, coconut oil & palm oil, but I bet shortening or lard would work well too - it's just harder to slip those into tasty recipes.

~Kailey

Detailed answer to question, covers all aspects well.

Share this on:

Tags
brownie, brownies, cannabis, cannabis cooking, cooking weed, extraction, harvest, how to cook, pot, pot brownies, ritalin, thc, thc butter, thc extraction, weed, weed brownie