Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Downers and sleeping pills > Benzodiazepines
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Benzodiazepines All about benzodiazepines (downers)

Old 25-04-2010, 00:29
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from United States
pharmycologist is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Benzo Equivalency Charts...Why so different? Alprazolam and Clonazepam

Hey guys.

So SWIM had some questions about benzo equivalency. Obviously SWIM understands that each particular benzo is different in its own right, but knows thats there are approximate dosages that correspond with each other for similar effects of different benzos.

The problem comes for SWIM when he finds online equiv. charts that are all recommended, yet seem to be very different with certain dosages. For example, SWIM's first benzo was alprazolam, so after finding some diazepam he looked at charts to find out the approx. similar doses.

The most recommended chart said something like .5 mg alpraz for 10 mg diaz. A few more that SWIM found said this, but then he also found one that said .5 to 5 mg ratio, that was also recommended. This is a big difference. After trying the valium out, SWIM believes the former ratio to be more accurate.

Now SWIM has gotten some k-pins, and looked at the chart for these too. Again, the charts differ, with some saying .5 to .5 for alpraz to clonaz and another saying .5 to .25 respectively.

So SWIM's question is basically, is there any chart that SWIY's have found to be the most accurate, and based on personal experience, what would SWIY's say that approx. equiv. of alpraz. to clonaz. is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 25-04-2010, 00:42
Palladium Member

43 y/o Male from England
Space Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 5,934, Level: 11 Points: 5,934, Level: 11 Points: 5,934, Level: 11
Activity: 6.9% Activity: 6.9% Activity: 6.9%
Re: Benzo Equivalency Charts...Why so different? Comparing Alpraz and Clonaz

DF has its own comparison chart here

SWIM has found that to be pretty accurate. To be honest there isnt a huge difference in experience from 5mg Diazepam to 10mg, SWIM has no tolerance currently to benzos and 10mg doesnt do much for him other than reduce anxiety if he is suffering from it. There no intoxication or "pleasure" as such, but maybe thats just SWIM as some seem to love em.

Post Quality Evaluations:
The link doesn't work anymore

Last edited by Space Numpty; 03-06-2013 at 18:23.
Old 25-04-2010, 00:46
R.I.P.

Male from United States
EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.
Points: 2,267, Level: 7 Points: 2,267, Level: 7 Points: 2,267, Level: 7
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

There are so many charts out there that SWIM finds them all more or less useless, tbh. What has worked for SWIM in his time (note, the equivalency is based on potency only, not duration or any other variables

1mg alprazolam = 1mg clonazepam = 15-20 mg diazepam= 2 mg lorazepam=.125mg triazolam = 15 mg temazepam.

Remember this is only what works for SWIM and there are a lot of benzos out there, so keep that in mind.
Old 25-04-2010, 01:20
Silver Member

Hey, thanks for the quick reply.

SWIM is happy to hear that SWIY beleives 1mg alprazolam is equiv. to 1mg clonazpam, since SWIM could only get a handful.

SWIM also realizes that this is for SWIYs body and might not be the same for SWIMs, but he appreciates the response and experience.

Any other SWIY's out there with similar or differing opinions?

pharmycologist added 1 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...

Oh Sorry, spacenumpty, SWIM did not even see your post up there. Thanks for the chart

Last edited by pharmycologist; 25-04-2010 at 01:20. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 25-04-2010, 03:04
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from United States
fizzle is on the way upfizzle is on the way upfizzle is on the way up
Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%

Swim tends to agree with the chart here on DF. He finds 1mg of alprazolam is similar to 1mg of clonazepam. He has not used diazepam in while but feels as if 20mg (maybe 25mg) is a pretty good equivalency. The only significant discrepancy is with lorazepem (Ativan), which he finds to be very weak. For Swim 2mg of lorazepam is not equal to 1mg of clonazepam, he needs much more and in fact has never had enough in his possession (3mg) to achieve similar effects as those of 1mg of clonazepam. Hope that helps!
Old 25-04-2010, 04:05
Silver Member

Thanks for the reply!

So more SWIYs saying that 1 mg xanax is equal to 1 mg k-pin, so this is making SWIM believe this equiv. to be the most accurate, which makes him much happier than the one chart he saw which claimed only a .5mg to 1mg xanax to k-pin ratio.

SWIM is sitting on his clonazepam (he has 6 mg) for a few more days at least, as he acquired quite a tolerance to xanax after about a two week stint that ended around 3 weeks ago (During those two weeks SWIM's tolerance was getting huge, he was popping many mgs of xanax a day along with many potentiating agents such as GFJ and cimetidine). Since then SWIM has only used a handful of valium once, earlier this week. So he is hoping that in a few more days, or perhaps more, his tolerance will be back down to where a few mg will get him feeling good

Thanks for the responses guys, any others would still be helpful in confirming this ratio of alpraz to clonaz as the most accurate. Thanks!
Old 25-04-2010, 11:13
Silver Member

29 y/o Male from USA - California
Pieces Mended is on the way upPieces Mended is on the way upPieces Mended is on the way up
Points: 470, Level: 3 Points: 470, Level: 3 Points: 470, Level: 3
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%

SWIM must offer one thought to keep in mind when reading almost any equivalency chart. Nearly all of those found published on the web in regards to benzos are suggested for use when transitioning a patient from one drug to another, assumption being that the treatment will be ongoing.

This means that the charts have to take into account half-life of the drugs and their bio-availability. These are not typically charts that are used to determine if a single 1mg Drug A pill = a single 5mg Drug B pill.

Thus, the confusion. If you are taking a single pill, then SWIM might agree Diazepam as a 20:1 or even 25:1 ratio to Alprazolam reasonable. Try that same conversion dose for a week or two and you'll be snowed out of your mind compared to the Xanax dose. Diazepam accumulates in your system pretty quickly, considering you'll probably be prescribed 5-10 doses before the half-life of the first pill has passed.

Clonazepam is even more tricky. It is nearly as strong as Alprazolam for a single dose, which makes people assume if they can take 5mg of Alprazolam in a night, they can take 5mg Clonazepam. The problem is that the next morning when the Xanax would have worn off, they are still going to be in the clouds because the Klonopin won't even be starting to exit their system.

Basically, SWIM's advice is take everything with a grain of salt and KNOW HOW LONG THE DRUG LASTS. If SWIY binges on Xanax one Friday night, no biggie by Monday unless something goes wrong. If SWIY binges on Klonopin and Valium Friday, you might not remember Monday until sometime around Tuesday night.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Informative reply
Old 25-04-2010, 17:07
Silver Member

Hmmmm....interesting, thanks for the reply!

So that seems to be why the equiv. charts are off, they are also taking into account the half-life of the drug, which will inevitably affect a person differently depending on the duration of the half-life.

Obviously SWIM saw the half-life differences, and was planning on taking them into account (quite happily that alpraz and clonaz were even rations yet clonaz has such a longer half-life), but never really made the connection that this was the reason for the discrepancies nor fully realized that these charts were probably not made for recreational users of the substance (although SWIM thinks part of that recreation value is actually because it helps him feel free of his anxiety he has never treated, which makes him feel freer), but for people switching to a different benzo for medicinal purposes or tapering off doses.

So, it's all making a bit more sense now to SWIM as to why charts may be so different, and SWIM appreciates the advice of taking into account the longer half-life of clonazepam, very good advice indeed!

Thanks a lot guys
Old 19-05-2013, 04:27

25 y/o Male from Canada
opi.c should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Re: Benzo Equivalency Charts...Why so different? Alprazolam and Clonazepam

I really have to say, and all of the benzodiazepines I have received have been prescribed, that you CANNOT trust any of these equivalency charts. I can personally attest to the fact that they vary greatly from person to person. Many people rave about clonazepam on this site and other sites. I was prescribed 4mg/day for seizures and found it completely useless for anything but that. After meeting with my neurologist he said that clonazepam was useless for preventing seizures and was the weakest of all the benzos out there. I have to agree with him. I was taking 6mg/day of Ativan (lorazepam) on top of that just to keep my anxiety at bay.

However, I have recently been prescribed alprazolam and triazolam (as I requested it from my doc) and 1mg of alprazolam gets me A LOT further than even 6/mg of ativan taken all at once did. I can literally feel the anxiety and stress of the world melt away.

Triazolam, where do I start.. It has been the best benzodiazepine I have found out there, hands down - in doses between .5 and 1mg. It produces a great deal of euphoria, relaxation and a feeling of being "benzoed" (a feeling I can't quite describe - in my throat as it takes effect/peaks) that puts me in a state of pure bliss. It truly lives up to it's brand name Halcyon. (Sounds great with the Ellie Goulding album in the background) I understand why it might be a little more difficult to receive from your doctor after this, but if you do ever get a chance to try it, I would recommend it to an benzo lover.

What I'm really getting at is - try it yourself. Looking up a chart that was taken from some random control group is not going to apply to you, this is true of every drug out there!

Share this on:

Tags
alprazolam, alprazolam high, benzo equivalency charts, benzodiazepine equivalency, benzodiazepine equivalent doses, clonazepam, diazapam, klonopin, triazolam, xanax

» New Threads
Is it necessary to dissolve...
Last post by sindale1
0 Replies, 3 Views
Taking Small dose of pure mdma...
Last post by zenchicken
2 Replies, 112 Views
What exactly causes the nausea...
Last post by Butter Bigsby
3 Replies, 168 Views
Why do amphetamines cause to shit...
Last post by UniversalSkye