Notices

Nitrous Oxide N2O, Laughing gas

Old 22-04-2010, 10:14
Silver Member

Male from USA - California
Enlightenment is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 270, Level: 2 Points: 270, Level: 2 Points: 270, Level: 2
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%
Is Nitrous Oxide actually that bad for you?

Ok so SWIM has cracked maaaany cartridges of nitrous over the past few years. he's probably done somewhere between 100 and 200 canisters, but honestly who knows at this point right? its probably more

I've been somewhat confused over the issue of whether or not nitrous use with just a cracker and balloon, or a whipped cream dispenser, is bad for you. I have had numerous discussions and arguments with people over this. I've read a fair amount of literature on the subject and I feel like a lot of the arguments contradict each other. Some sources say that nitrous is absolutely terrible for your brain, and that inhaling any substance is terrible, etc and so forth. There are reports of Olney's lesions being a possibility of brain damage caused by Nitrous and other dissociatives like DXM. There are reports of it causing people to lose control of their limbs, have incontinence problems, and even the possibility of psychosis. But this is from chronic use - hundreds of cartridges a week - not a 50 box every couple of months as a party favor. other sources say that it's close to just holding your breath, which can be bad if you do this for too long...leading to blue lips and cheeks :

SWIM's experience tells me that a heavy night of nitrous, like 20 whippets to himself, can give him a good hangover in the morning, but thats about it. And anyone who has done nitrous knows that a heavy night of drinking is much more taxing on one's brain than a night of involving a few whippets. But I have seen definite habits form in some friends with nitrous use too, and too much of anything is bad, so I have my doubts of its safety, even in small recreational doses. This causes me to continually question the issue.

My questions are:
How much nitrous is too much? At what point is the nitrous oxide, not the oxygen deprivation, causing brain damage or something thereof? We have all heard of the seriously damaging effects of nitrous addiction and chronic abuse (Thank you Steve-O), but what about just some low dose recreational use?
How bad is the oxygen deprivation aspect of breathing in and out of a balloon for one's brain and body? and again how much is too much? as many people are very skeptical of inhaling anything.
and lastly, compared to say a heavy night of drinking, how does a night of doing 10 whippets compare, neurologically?

Basically, how 'bad' is nitrous oxide for you? Is it really that dangerous?

Thank you for hopefully clearing up this debated issue, and i apologize in advance if there are threads like this one already.
Old 22-04-2010, 16:18
Platinum Member & Advisor

34 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,287, Level: 20 Points: 19,287, Level: 20 Points: 19,287, Level: 20
Activity: 59.6% Activity: 59.6% Activity: 59.6%
Re: Is Nitrous Oxide actually that bad for you?

oxygen deprivation is nearly impossible using a balloon or a hand held bag, the real danger is when someone gets a medical grade tank and face mask, OR decides to seal up a closet and replace the air with gas.

Occasional use seems pretty damn harmless, a couple cases a few times a year doesn't seem to be unreasonable. Chronic users...well they just get weird, then really boring. Luckily it is the kind of thing that doesn't really hold a lot of charm when used too often, seems to be kind of self limiting.
Old 22-04-2010, 16:44
Titanium Member

23 y/o Male from United States
Paradox is on the way upParadox is on the way upParadox is on the way up
Points: 324, Level: 2 Points: 324, Level: 2 Points: 324, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Acute risks:
There are several ways to reduce the acute risks of N2O. Firstly, it's very important to use a safe delivery device. There are two parts to this. Firstly, if the user passes out, the delivery device needs to stop providing gas. The easiest way of doing this is using a balloon. It's also important not to release a lot of nitrous in a sealed room. Secondly, the gas needs to be allowed to warm up enough that it will not cause frostbite in the user's throat and lungs. This just means letting the balloon rest for a little bit before inhaling.

If one is using a balloon as a delivery method, hypoxia is not going to cause any damage. The brain needs to be deprived of oxygen for 4-6 minutes before brain damage begins to occur, and SWIY will have passed out and started breathing pure air again long before then. So, as long as SWIY doesn't keep breathing nitrous after passing out, SWIY does not need to worry about hypoxia.

Chronic:
The biggest chronic issue with nitrous is B12 depletion. B12 is a vitamin that protects the nerves from damage. Nitrous blocks the body's ability to synthesize B12. To prevent long term damage by this take a B12 supplement BEFORE use. The common form of B12 found in supplements your body is not able to use after nitrous. (3 days IIRC) Using nitrous once a week, at less than a box of whippits (~24) would likely be a reasonably safe route for most people to go, though as Potter said would likely get boring after a while. This, of course, is with the caveat that if SWIY does start to notice any issues (tingling, numbness in extremities) discontinue use immediately.

Post Quality Evaluations:
great call on the dangers of freezing gas!
Old 22-04-2010, 16:56
is not his mind

Male from Earth
NeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 21,143, Level: 21 Points: 21,143, Level: 21 Points: 21,143, Level: 21
Activity: 8.4% Activity: 8.4% Activity: 8.4%

See the N20 (Nitrous Oxide) wiki, it will explain a lot.

Last edited by Phungushead; 17-02-2014 at 16:02. Reason: fixed broken wiki link
Old 13-02-2014, 02:08

18 y/o Male from Earth
zedsdead is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%

Swim has a friend that is a vegetarian so therefore she has a vitamin b12 deficiency. With this being the case would Swims friend have to take a larger dose of b12 prior to using nitrous ?

Also Swim has seen some information that states that use of nitrous by people with a current b12 deficiencies can cause immediate negative symptoms! Does anyone know this to be true?

SWIM was banned years ago, please speak in first person or on behalf of a human friend
Old 13-02-2014, 02:24
Silver Member

Male from Canada
Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.
Points: 940, Level: 4 Points: 940, Level: 4 Points: 940, Level: 4
Activity: 54.4% Activity: 54.4% Activity: 54.4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdead View Post
With this being the case would Swims friend have to take a larger dose of b12 prior to using nitrous ?
Also Swim has seen some information that states that use of nitrous by people with a current b12 deficiencies can cause immediate negative symptoms!
1 we don't use swim, read the rules
2 no, you should take B vitamins after using nitrous, not before.
3 vitamin B deficiency from daily use usually shows itself in shaking hands and a trouble walking. its fairly easily treatable in a hospital over few days

The thing with nitrous, to get high one needs inhale enough to cause hypoxia, thats the only way to get high in home setting, which causes tachycardia and blacking out. you should be laying down when using nitrous, you don't want to hit your head. Nitrous via balloon produces 1-2 min high, that often than not, results in redosing. nitrous is like crack in a baloon and is not an interesting drug. it gets a lot more fun if administered at a hospital mixed with 40% oxygen
Old 13-02-2014, 02:34
Silver Member

Male from Earth
Drugfreekid is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 156, Level: 2 Points: 156, Level: 2 Points: 156, Level: 2
Activity: 2.7% Activity: 2.7% Activity: 2.7%

@zedsdead, b12 depletion only happens in highdose, long term abuse. But just to be sure, tell your friend to consume their normal amount of vitamin b12.

Now, being a massive nitroushead myself i feel i need to drop some words of wisdom. Is is dangerous? The literature as you saw is bleak, vague and contradicting. you have the case of Olneys lesions from NMDA antagonism and then theres the argument that nitrous dosent fit into that category. Since there is really no actual universal conclusion, one has to speculate using the resources we have. My speculation is that, Nitrous oxide is not bad in comparison to the rest of the dissasociatives because its half life is a joke and the fact that even with prolonged use, eventually you give up because tolerance to nitrous isnt fixable by upping your dose whilst with the rest of the dissasociatives, the ratio of dose:tolerance:effect works 1 + 1 =2. if that dosent make sense then im saying that with the rest, increasing dose means getting back to the same (+/-) high, whilst nitrous will eventually stop working no matter the amount.

In that sense, nitrous in my opinion is only remotely dangerous due to the unproper techniques with which one huffs, producing oxygen deprivation. Which is bad, indeed, but like any drug user one must always check all factors that come into play (oxygen deprivation with nitrous, higher chance of OD with IV and etc..)

The other problem is the addictivness of nitrous. Its reinforcing as fuck. I didnt get the name hippie crack untill i opened my eyes. the only thing that stopped me from sucking all those cartridges was tolerance. I say watch out, the stuff is a bit unpredictable in this area.

Finally, nitrouss safety profile is debatable, but with proper huffing techniques and limited use (Actually), it should be a minor worry.
Old 13-02-2014, 03:26

18 y/o Male from Earth
zedsdead is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Sex Fiend View Post
1 we don't use swim, read the rules
2 no, you should take B vitamins after using nitrous, not before.
3 vitamin B deficiency from daily use usually shows itself in shaking hands and a trouble walking. its fairly easily treatable in a hospital over few days

The thing with nitrous, to get high one needs inhale enough to cause hypoxia, thats the only way to get high in home setting, which causes tachycardia and blacking out. you should be laying down when using nitrous, you don't want to hit your head. Nitrous via balloon produces 1-2 min high, that often than not, results in redosing. nitrous is like crack in a baloon and is not an interesting drug. it gets a lot more fun if administered at a hospital mixed with 40% oxygen

Thanks! My mistake I was un clear on that. Also not to infer any rudeness but I enjoy it even though it is relatively quick I was merely checking for the safety of my friend.

zedsdead added 2 Minutes and 36 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drugfreekid View Post
@zedsdead, b12 depletion only happens in highdose, long term abuse. But just to be sure, tell your friend to consume their normal amount of vitamin b12.

Now, being a massive nitroushead myself i feel i need to drop some words of wisdom. Is is dangerous? The literature as you saw is bleak, vague and contradicting. you have the case of Olneys lesions from NMDA antagonism and then theres the argument that nitrous dosent fit into that category. Since there is really no actual universal conclusion, one has to speculate using the resources we have. My speculation is that, Nitrous oxide is not bad in comparison to the rest of the dissasociatives because its half life is a joke and the fact that even with prolonged use, eventually you give up because tolerance to nitrous isnt fixable by upping your dose whilst with the rest of the dissasociatives, the ratio of dose:tolerance:effect works 1 + 1 =2. if that dosent make sense then im saying that with the rest, increasing dose means getting back to the same (+/-) high, whilst nitrous will eventually stop working no matter the amount.

In that sense, nitrous in my opinion is only remotely dangerous due to the unproper techniques with which one huffs, producing oxygen deprivation. Which is bad, indeed, but like any drug user one must always check all factors that come into play (oxygen deprivation with nitrous, higher chance of OD with IV and etc..)

The other problem is the addictivness of nitrous. Its reinforcing as fuck. I didnt get the name hippie crack untill i opened my eyes. the only thing that stopped me from sucking all those cartridges was tolerance. I say watch out, the stuff is a bit unpredictable in this area.

Finally, nitrouss safety profile is debatable, but with proper huffing techniques and limited use (Actually), it should be a minor worry.

Oh alright I should add that from some of the articles I read it was suggested that even one time use could produce negative symptoms on someone with a deficiency are you saying you don't think this is truthful?

Also thanks that was very informative !

Last edited by zedsdead; 13-02-2014 at 03:26. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 13-02-2014, 03:29

26 y/o Male from United States
codeine kid needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.

Honestly 200 cartridges is not very much. I've seen a friend go through a box of 300 he got for free in one day and experienced no ill side effects.
Old 13-02-2014, 04:37
Silver Member

51 y/o Male from Australia
joy rider is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1
Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3%

I ask myself... Why doesn't everybody breathe nitrous oxide? And it is because they don't but dentists are quite happy (hahahahahaahaa..) to administer the gas to everyone!

But if it deprives your brain of oxygen, probably not good for you. I think alcohol deprives your brain of oxygen and is legal in most countries of the world. I have never heard police reporting that they just busted a nitrous oxide gang (ok... they may have been drag racing...)
Old 13-02-2014, 05:09
Silver Member

Male from Canada
Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy rider View Post
I ask myself... Why doesn't everybody breathe nitrous oxide? And it is because they don't but dentists are quite happy (hahahahahaahaa..) to administer the gas to everyone! But if it deprives your brain of oxygen, probably not good for you. I think alcohol deprives your brain of oxygen and is legal in most countries of the world. I have never heard police reporting that they just busted a nitrous oxide gang (ok... they may have been drag racing...)

What are talking about? Inhaling nitrous lowers oxygen in your blood because you are not inhaling oxygen, you are inhaling pure nitrous (there is no oxygen in the balloon!). this is similar to pinching your nose. besides nitrous being a lighter gas thus gets inhaled readily. there is no nitrous gang because nitrous is legal and sold in every supermarket. Alcohol does not deprive your brain of oxygen. Holding your breath under water does
Old 13-02-2014, 05:49
Silver Member

Ok I believe alcohol replaces blood cells that are taking oxygen to the brain, I could be wrong. I would upon think, what you are breathing is going to affect.. effect (I can never work that one out) what one breathes or ingests is going to change the amount of oxygen getting to the brain.

No oxygen, not good for the brain.

joy rider added 10 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...

And now that I think of it, I think nitrous oxide is not good for you but it is probably good for your racing car!

Correct me if I am wrong, nitrous oxide combines with petrol and absorbs oxygen?

This post makes no sense at all.

Last edited by joy rider; 13-02-2014 at 05:49. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 13-02-2014, 05:51
Silver Member

Male from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy rider View Post
Ok I believe alcohol replaces blood cells that are taking oxygen to the brain, I could be wrong. I would upon think, what you are breathing is going to affect.. effect (I can never work that one out) what one breathes or ingests is going to change the amount of oxygen getting to the brain.

No oxygen, not good for the brain.

Dude, are you high?
You are right tho, no oxygen, no good for the brain... in 4-6minutes
Old 13-02-2014, 05:58
Silver Member

Hi ASF I never mean to offend you, I have read almost all your posts, you are one of the good guys as far as I can see

joy rider added 3 Minutes and 32 Seconds later...

And yes I am high. High on life, sometimes I need some kicking and I have had a few beers today, some people want to pick a fight, I don't.

Last edited by joy rider; 13-02-2014 at 05:58. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Share this on:

Tags
crack, drug, drugs-forum, hangover, huffing, laughing gas, n2o, nitrous, nitrous oxide, no2, nozz, passing out, sore throat, whippets