Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums > Tobacco
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 21-04-2010, 22:21
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

24 y/o Male from United States
Laszlo1 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 144, Level: 1 Points: 144, Level: 1 Points: 144, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Rolling Tobacco vs. Factory Rolled Cigarettes

So SWIM was doing some searching around on the forum but couldn't find an answer to his question.

His question is, drumroll please, are the impacts of loose tobacco and cigarettes on health any different? If so, which is less harmful?

SWIM's personal situation is this: He started smoking cigarettes three years ago, and initially it was a social thing, he and his little friends would smoke cigarettes when they went out to hang with friends. There was an unspoken rule that no one ever smoked more than two cigarettes per night out, and since school kept us busy at that time, that meant smoking between four and six cigarettes a night, about a pack a month in total.

The next progression would be probably the next year, when SWIM started smoking alone (His friend group expanded, and as smoking became more common, the two a night tradition was done away with). At this point swim would say he smoked about a pack a week, and he began purchasing rolling tobacco irregularly.

Next step - this year: SWIM has a lot more freedom now than he did then, and his intake of tobacco products has increased. Now he usually smokes once after classes, once when he gets home, and once or twice after he's finished working. Rolling tobacco has become a lot more common in his life, maybe one in three tobacco purchases being loose tobacco. All in all, swim is now smoking maybe two packs a week (Perhaps it is a little bit less than that).

SWIM used to think of his smoking as minimal, and he's sure it still is, compared to many, but as SWIM looks back now, he sees more than a couple of years of history, and though he always knew smoking was detrimental (D.A.R.E.!), now it is more and more frequently coming to the front of his thoughts- talk about ruining a good cigarette break.

SWIM wants to make it clear though, that if he is addicted to cigarettes, it is purely because of their attachment to different other things in his life, like his finishing classes, finishing work, or hanging out. When swim has chunks of time to himself, days in a row, that is, he won't smoke, and feels no desire to do so, excluding occasional bouts of boredom, when he thinks: Smoking is like waiting around, except you're smoking.

So SWIM's question stands: Is there a difference between rolling and factory tobacco in terms of impact to health? And, if so, which is the safer route?

SWIM's pre-packaged poisons of choice are: Marlboro Reds, Marlboro no.27s, and Camel Royals

SWIM's hand crafted poisons of choice are: DRUM Halfzware Shag, and Bali Shag Golden Shag.

If swim is an idiot and there's already a thread for this, he says he'd love a link.

Thanks, guys.
Old 21-04-2010, 22:35
Silver Member

Male from United States
Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.
Points: 329, Level: 2 Points: 329, Level: 2 Points: 329, Level: 2
Re: Rolling Tobacco vs. Factory Rolled Cigarettes

I think it's processed the same way (sheet tobacco) but you can tell if it's sheet tobacco or not by analyzing the tobacco fibers. You need the equivalent of a whole cigarette because cut tobacco may look like sheet tobacco.
You are looking for anomolies in the cut and the leaf itself. Sheet tobacco will be uniform whereas leaf tobacco will...generally speaking...not. Still, high quality leaf tobacco may be largely void of major anomolies. If you are unsure look with a magnifying glass or even a microscope to determine if the fibers have organic leaf structure which will appear as Spider like veins you can see visibly on any leaf from a tree or bush if you hold it up to the light.

SHeet tobacco is heavily processed and may or may not contain chemicals leftover from the processing. Moreover some cheap cigarettes you may notice will burn very quickly (Monachs, FOrmula 1, etc.). Some manufacturers add chemicals that cause this effect to get you to smoke more.

You can assure your best health aside form the properties of smoking tobacco itself by ensuring you are not smoking sheet tobacco.

This has absolutely nothing to do with rollies vs. manufactured though and either way you go you should take the time to inspect your product to be sure you are getting leaf tobacco and not sheet.

DRUM & Bali is always leaf tobacco FYI. Quite a personal favorite of mine as well though I smoke a pipe with pipe tobacco and do not rol.l anymore since the recent tax spike. I have always much preffered pipe tobacco anyway and do reccomend it because you will NEVER get sheet tobacco in pipe tobacco.
Old 21-04-2010, 23:09
Titanium Member

33 y/o Male from United States
rawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medline
Points: 3,205, Level: 8 Points: 3,205, Level: 8 Points: 3,205, Level: 8
Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2%

Well first off, filter-less cigarettes ARE worse for you, and most people don't include filters in hand-rolled.

That being said, few hand-rollers smoke as much or as frequently as store-bought smokers, so perhaps that balances things out? But I think this is one of those things you could go round in circles on forever, and the bottom line is that smoking any tobacco is bad.

THAT being said I will say that I have succesfully quit smoking using hand-rolled cigarettes (I know, put out a fire with a blow-torch, right?) (I'll also invoke the rule that self-incrimination does not apply to tobacco). I smoked either Galuoise rolling tobacco, or a blend sold by a local tobacconist.

Annecdotaly (this is NOT science but my own experience) I'll say this - hand-rolled cigarettes never satisfied me as an addicted smoker, and many other smokers have agreed with me on this. Likewise smoking nothing but handrolled (I'd occasionally trade one for a ready-made)made me crave smoking less, as if the cigarettes were less addictive.

(Perhaps just as importantly it's not very convenient to sit down and roll a smoke, a lot less so than just whipping one out of a pack, which becomes a blind reflex after time. So you really think about if you want that smoke, if you have the time to enjoy it, etc.)

After several months I was down to 1 cigarette a day, which I would seldom finish. I liked that one cigarette less and less. Then I went on vacation and quit.

Anyway this doesn't directly relate to your 'health' question but I think it's an interesting observation on smoking - in my case part of the addiction became the ease with which I could smoke and removing that ease lessened the addiction, as did, perhaps different chemical treatments of the respective tobaccos.

I've recommended this approach to would-be quitters but none have tried it. Most just try to quit by smoking normal cigarettes, less, while denying what they are doing. I have yet to see this work.
Old 21-04-2010, 23:24
Silver Member

Male from United States
Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawbeer View Post
Well first off, filter-less cigarettes ARE worse for you, and most people don't include filters in hand-rolled.
I don't think this is true. As you say it balances out because one smokes less without a filter. Moreover, most people who roll, stuff and don't actually roll their cigarettes. At least, most people I know...who roll.

Quote:
Annecdotaly (this is NOT science but my own experience) I'll say this - hand-rolled cigarettes never satisfied me as an addicted smoker, and many other smokers have agreed with me on this. Likewise smoking nothing but handrolled (I'd occasionally trade one for a ready-made)made me crave smoking less, as if the cigarettes were less addictive.
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61544

That thread contains some scientific evidence to validate your anecdotal experience.

Quote:
(Perhaps just as importantly it's not very convenient to sit down and roll a smoke, a lot less so than just whipping one out of a pack, which becomes a blind reflex after time. So you really think about if you want that smoke, if you have the time to enjoy it, etc.)

Not really. I smoke a pipe and am sometimes prone to smoke more frequently regardless of the fact that I have to clean the pipe, pack it, get it rolling etc. Much like rolling cigarettes the behavior eventually becomes part of the habit itself and just as thoughtless as whipping a stick out of the pack.
Old 22-04-2010, 12:41
Titanium Member

33 y/o Male from United States
rawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medline
Points: 3,205, Level: 8 Points: 3,205, Level: 8 Points: 3,205, Level: 8
Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2%

Thanks for that link, I knew I'd heard stuff like that before but I don't want to site a Russel Crowe movie as evidence and that was the only source I could think of.

I'll add that for me smoking was directly related to driving. Your point about the pipe is a good one but I simply can't (or won't) roll a cigarette while driving.

As far as filters and hand-rolled (or hand-stuffed) I guess we just live in two different necks of the woods. Of the perhaps 25 people I have known who hand-make smokes only 1 used filters, and a rolling machine.
Old 22-04-2010, 16:07
Silver Member

Male from United States

So wierd because amongst the people I know I am the only one who actually rolls rollies! Everyone else uses tubes and stuffers. But I haven't even rolled since the tax spike.

And true that about driving because can and have smoked my pipe while driving. Hoever, I know I, and most other rollers, tend more often than not to pre-roll anyways. Also...

Quote:
...I don't want to site a Russel Crowe movie as evidence...
Very good call..rofl...
Old 22-04-2010, 16:26

Male from Ireland
HPPD is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1

Well Lazlo. From my reading of the forum is that no one really know.
Personaly I have always smoked hand rolled tobacco. Over the space of the year I found myself going from a social smoker who smoked only when with other smokers to what is pretty much now a full blown addict and have now and then tried pre-rolled but always found they burned much too quickly or made me feel ill.
I have found and my friends agree with me that hand rolling tobacco has two benefits to myself and them;
1) You can dose the tobacco and roll however much you want at a time whereas i prerolled you cannot.
2)prerolled burn whether you are smoking them or not, hand rolled tobacco goes out if you leave them so if one has had enough you can leave it for later making it much more economical.

Whether any of these qualities has an effect on their impast on health I wouldn't really know enough to guess. I smoke Cutter's Choice normaly and the packs have a guide line of cigarette diameter to tar and nicotine intake, if you wish I will post these values at a later stage to save one buying a pack.

Share this on:

Tags
addicted, bali, cigarette, cigarette filter, cigarettes, cigars, death, drug, drugs-forum, e cigarettes, health, health risks, pipe tobacco, rolling cigarettes, smoking cigarettes, stop smoking, stopping smoking, tobacco, tobacco cigarettes