Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 20-04-2010, 05:23

30 y/o Male
cunningcriminal is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Opiates fully out of system to start suboxone?

Well, I've been wondering if all opiates have to be out of your system to start on suboxone. SWIM has been a heroin addict for ten years, and SWIM is done. The kick is hell though, and SWIM doesn't even want to deal with it for one day...scary. Anyone know the answer?
Old 20-04-2010, 07:38
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from United States
unema is a decent psychonaut.
Re: Opiates fully out of system to start suboxone?

It varies from person to person. Some docs will tell you 12 hours after SWIY's last dose, all the way up to 48 hours. What is recommended across the board however, is SWIY must be in full w/d or else the subs will throw SWIY into precipitated w/d, which is supposed to be worse...

SWIM waits between 15-24 hours...as long as SWIM is in full w/d, sneezing, runny nose, fever, watery eyes, gossebumps, hot/cold flashes, no longer constipated, puking, malaise, etc. SWIM knows some users that wait till they are dry heaving.

Good luck.

-unema
Old 20-04-2010, 10:11
Banned

44 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Dickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,375, Level: 12 Points: 7,375, Level: 12 Points: 7,375, Level: 12

From what I've read the longer you can wait the better. 12 hours seems like a complete recipe for disaster (aka precipitated withdrawals - which my cat can tell you from experience, although not with buprenorphine, bring scary to a whole new level). It is also generally recommended that you reduce your dose down as much as possible before making the switch.

As for waiting for the dry heaving, that is clearly not universally applicable. I don't think my cat ever dry heaved in withdrawal or vomited for that matter, and it's not that he hasn't done a smidgeon of withdrawing in his time. So, it's not about any one particular withdrawal symptom being present, but more about an overall assessment of how far into withdrawal you are.

All the best with the switch, and I'm sure whoever is going to prescribe for you will give you advice about this.

Dickon
Old 20-04-2010, 11:51
Palladium Member

Male from Japan
Spucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline Medline
Points: 4,534, Level: 9 Points: 4,534, Level: 9 Points: 4,534, Level: 9
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
AW: Opiates fully out of system to start suboxone?

Yes, they need to be away from the Receptors,
the Cats personal Tip is:

Heroin: min. 24 Hours
Methadone: min. 60 Hours
By Codeine it's depending on what kind of Pills swiny is munching,
some of them have a very strong Retarded System, individuel Information is needed!

also have a look into: http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24501
Old 20-04-2010, 22:23

30 y/o Male
cunningcriminal is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1

SWIM varies between Oxycontin 80's, Dilaudid 8 mg's, OxyIR 30 mg's, and various other pills. With such a hodgepodge of opiate activity, SWIM has no idea what to do about withdrawals. SWIM tried 8mg Suboxone today, and it made SWIM sicker...was forced to Dilaudid (16mg)...worked, but not like it should cuz receptors were blocked (I guess from the Suboxone?). SWIM just wants to be done with the least possible amount of pain...
Old 21-04-2010, 23:36
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom
jloops is captain of the psychonauts.jloops is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 219, Level: 2 Points: 219, Level: 2 Points: 219, Level: 2
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunningcriminal View Post
SWIM varies between Oxycontin 80's, Dilaudid 8 mg's, OxyIR 30 mg's, and various other pills. With such a hodgepodge of opiate activity, SWIM has no idea what to do about withdrawals. SWIM tried 8mg Suboxone today, and it made SWIM sicker...was forced to Dilaudid (16mg)...worked, but not like it should cuz receptors were blocked (I guess from the Suboxone?). SWIM just wants to be done with the least possible amount of pain...
If you took 2 mg or more and it made you sick but not drop dead sick, you should've just stuck with it.

Switching to buprenorphine is not necessarily going to be pleasant. If you can take 2 mg and not absolutely go into insane withdrawal, the kind that would scare the shit out of anyone watching you, then you were good to go.

Other than that, a doc could give you benzos or clonidine (don't mix them [or mix them with opiates] yourself -- you could lower your blood pressure too much and cause a serious problem) to get you through 24 hours, which is the safe number. If you wait 24 hours after heroin, or a little less after dilaudid and oxycodone which last an even shorter period, then you're supposed to be fine. The suboxone will be a relief if you wait that long.

Like I said though, if you took 2 mg or more without absolutely losing it, then you should've just toughed it out for a few days and you'd end up in the same position as if you'd waited the full period. From now on you need to play it safe though and wait longer, because I've read descriptions of precipitated withdrawal that were so bad they caused me vicarious pain. It's just not safe, blood pressure goes way up in intense opiate withdrawal (hence the clonidine) -- severe precipitated withdrawal being the worst of the worst -- and you can have a stroke or hemorrhage, or, perhaps worse, feel like you're having one.

Share this on:

Tags
clonidine for opiate withdrawal, dilaudid, drugs, opiates, suboxone, suboxone treatment, withdrawal, withdrawals

» New Threads
Going to a 3 day festival, how...
Last post by RealMartinKeller
2 Replies, 62 Views
Please Help Me! How should I taper...
Last post by JonnyBGoode
7 Replies, 331 Views
missed shot, injecting vein right...
Last post by TheBigBadWolf
5 Replies, 74 Views
Cold-Turkeying this shit for good...
Last post by Comeback Kid