Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 19:15
Silver Member

30 y/o Male from Canada
eazyetrain is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Methamphetamine Second Hand Smoke

Forgive swim if this has already been asked. Swim UTFSE, but could not find anything.

Swim's parents are adopting a 12 year old who has come from a pretty dismal background. Serious negligence by the biological family. This is a whole story in itself.

Anyway, Swim's foster sister (legal sis-to-be) was exposed to some methamphetamine smoke presumably between the ages 0 to 7 while living in a small trailer. Swim's mum is curious how concerned they should be that there could be some developmental issues due to the early exposure.

Thoughts? Swim realizes that there are a few variables that come into play, but does anyone have some insight on the damage that could have happened?

Swim told mum he would ask the professionals he knows on DF. Thanks folks.
Old 18-04-2010, 11:11
Silver Member

23 y/o Male
Veryangrybob is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1
Re: Methamphetamine Second Hand Smoke

Im surprised noone answerd this but honestly the damage from second hand meth smoke i would assume would be nothing unless blown directly into the babies face that being said the baby weights much less then the smokers so like a couple milligrams and that baby is high. From SWIM personal experiance hese gotten REALLY high off second hand smoke alone not even 1 hoot taken purely second hand but he had to be really close to the other persons mouth and take deep breaths of the smoke but it definitly works. about the babies specificly though im not expert and of course every anti drug site will say it WILL kill your baby or make them mentally retarded but none the less its wrong for parents to expose there children to drugs especially babies and if u have a habit it shouldnt be made known but thats just my opinion. also one last thing meth smoke (only if its real meth) has a tendency to sink instead of rise like other smoke wich is usually where children play is on the ground and of a small trailer might have done some damage but overall i would say there wouldnt be any serious problems sorry if this isnt helpfull but i saw your question up for a long time and thought id try to help as best as i can with what little knowledge i have.
Old 18-04-2010, 11:41
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom
Don't fear the Reaper is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 131, Level: 1 Points: 131, Level: 1 Points: 131, Level: 1

SWIM is not expert and has only got bits off the net which seem.. relevant.

"Since the drug is excreted in the milk of nursing mothers, it is also important that nursing mothers not take this drug". - There's a good point, was the child breast fed?

Most of it seems to result in some abnormalities (physically like cleft lip) or "altered behaviour" but this is just reported cases from pregnant mothers.

(If i'm allowed to post links.. not sure what the rules are on that one)
http://www.oregondec.org/decdoc7.pdf - This may let you have a little insight into effects of meth-amphetamines on children. SWIM should think that it's a matter of proximity to where the child was to where the preparation and use of the drug was to how affected the child should be.
Old 19-04-2010, 04:35
Silver Member

Male from Antigua and Barbuda
vantranist is on the way upvantranist is on the way upvantranist is on the way upvantranist is on the way up
Points: 252, Level: 2 Points: 252, Level: 2 Points: 252, Level: 2

Honestly I don't know.

You would think second hand meth smoke would not be so bad, compared to lets say second hand cigarette smoke or marijuana smoke. The reason being Meth smoke is not actually smoke, its vapor. Vapor doesn't stay in the air near as long as smoke, it dissipates quickly in the surrounding air its much different than regular smoke you are used to.

On the other hand, a trailer is a very small space, 7 years is a long time considering it was pretty much 100% of the baby's life, also she was an infant/little kid, it might not take much at those ages to effect her brain permanently.

I know you are just trying to do something good cause you care about her, and maybe this is the only thing you can do, but asking such a question on a forum probably isn't the best idea if you really want an answer. Have your mom take her to a doctor, have a brain scan done or something. Asking a bunch of strangers on a forum who are mostly ex/current tweekers and speed freaks isn't the best idea, not to say there isn't A LOT of brilliant people on this forum. Good luck, i hope the little girls ok.

Last edited by vantranist; 19-04-2010 at 04:51.
Old 19-04-2010, 23:16
Silver Member

30 y/o Male from Canada
eazyetrain is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantranist View Post

I know you are just trying to do something good cause you care about her, and maybe this is the only thing you can do, but asking such a question on a forum probably isn't the best idea if you really want an answer. Have your mom take her to a doctor, have a brain scan done or something. Asking a bunch of strangers on a forum who are mostly ex/current tweekers and speed freaks isn't the best idea, not to say there isn't A LOT of brilliant people on this forum. Good luck, i hope the little girls ok.
Swim's family comes from a smallish, very conservative town. Common knowledge of meth, or drugs in general for that matter, is incredibly scarce. Hence why swim was asked, as he lives in a vastly larger city and has access to better information.

The info shared thus far has been great and swim has passed it along to family.

Swim has suggested that they do some pushing with the department to get some testing done, but even if that is conclusive, what would they do with the new info? Swim guesses they could focus their therapy better, but in reality, it is what it is. Damaged brain or not, she is who she is, and moving forward is the only option.

Anyway, thanks for everything.

Share this on:

Tags
amphetamine, crack, drug, drug test, drugs-forum, meth, methamphetamine, pure meth, second hand smoke, smoking meth, speed, urine test